Author Topic: Climate change  (Read 34306 times)

firetotheworks

Re: Global Warming.
« Reply #25 on: Monday 14 December 2009, 10:53:02 PM »
I dont really know what to believe because it's counter argument after counter argument, and my knowledge on the science behind it only goes so far.

Irregardless, the steps that are looking to be taken assuming that it's all true can only be a good thing. It'll be exploited, that's what consumerism is all about, but if it's for good then I couldn't give a f*** who gets rich off it.

Offline Fenham Mag

• General Member
« Reply #26 on: Monday 14 December 2009, 10:53:22 PM »
Deforestation is the biggest problem.
coupled with cow farts

Dogs too, my little one just let out a f***ing stinker
I really like Fenham Mag. Great guy and a very good poster.

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #27 on: Monday 14 December 2009, 10:57:01 PM »

Oh...Sorry it's called climate change now, cause it's actually not really getting any hotter at all.

Tell that to the Polar Bears. Climate change is irrefutable, not necessarily something new though - just new to us.

That's right cause it's been much hotter before hasn't it?

No, it was much colder actually. :lol:

Go away and do some research.

http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/lonniepnas.htm

Didn't realise the earth had only been going for 2000 years. I know a religion you can join.

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #28 on: Monday 14 December 2009, 10:57:57 PM »
I dont really know what to believe because it's counter argument after counter argument, and my knowledge on the science behind it only goes so far.

Irregardless, the steps that are looking to be taken assuming that it's all true can only be a good thing. It'll be exploited, that's what consumerism is all about, but if it's for good then I couldn't give a f*** who gets rich off it.

Isn't it just that they want to re-sell us everything we already have but with a little green sticker on it?

Offline LucaAltieri

• General Member
« Reply #29 on: Monday 14 December 2009, 10:59:56 PM »

Oh...Sorry it's called climate change now, cause it's actually not really getting any hotter at all.

Tell that to the Polar Bears. Climate change is irrefutable, not necessarily something new though - just new to us.

f*** off, that's from a university. They're part of conspiracy, idiot. If you want the truth you need to listen to Alex Jones and David Icke.

Manipulation of evidence:

I’ve just completed Mike’s Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards) amd from 1961 for Keith’s to hide the decline.

Private doubts about whether the world really is heating up:

The fact is that we can’t account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can’t. The CERES data published in the August BAMS 09 supplement on 2008 shows there should be even more warming: but the data are surely wrong. Our observing system is inadequate."

Quotes out of context, from one institute, from reports that don't alter in any way the VAST body of evidence for man-made climate change.

Years of research vs. pulling stuff from your arse and putting it on youtube. I know which I prefer to follow.

http://www.monbiot.com/archives/2009/12/07/the-real-climate-scandal/

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #30 on: Monday 14 December 2009, 11:02:08 PM »

f*** off, that's from a university. They're part of conspiracy, idiot. If you want the truth you need to listen to Alex Jones and David Icke.

I’ve just completed Mike’s Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards) amd from 1961 for Keith’s to hide the decline.

The fact is that we can’t account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can’t. The CERES data published in the August BAMS 09 supplement on 2008 shows there should be even more warming: but the data are surely wrong. Our observing system is inadequate."

Quotes out of context, from one institute, from reports that don't alter in any way the VAST body of evidence for man-made climate change.

Years of research vs. pulling stuff from your arse and putting it on youtube. I know which I prefer to follow.

What percentage atmospheric of Co2 is man made?

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #31 on: Monday 14 December 2009, 11:08:45 PM »
Copenhagen

Black bloke from africa apparenlty serious claims that apparently "Africa will be destroyed by climate change"...

China wants grants from America...Non starter as america wil want to spend to grow their economy and China aren't signed up to Kyoto anyway.

Fiasco.

firetotheworks

« Reply #32 on: Monday 14 December 2009, 11:15:04 PM »

Isn't it just that they want to re-sell us everything we already have but with a little green sticker on it?

Dunno. Probably in a lot of cases.

Offline LucaAltieri

• General Member
« Reply #33 on: Monday 14 December 2009, 11:15:43 PM »

What percentage atmospheric of Co2 is man made?

What %age is acceptable?

Offline Rob W

• General Member
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 15 December 2009, 10:42:11 AM »
well - ice cores show that the maximum CO2 in the last 5 interglacial periods peaked at 300 ppmv

right now they are somewhere around 1000 ppmv....................

The rapturous, wild & ineffable pleasure of drinking at someone else's expense

Offline Mowen

• General Member
  • Sepp Blatter w*****
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 15 December 2009, 10:53:02 AM »
coupled with cow farts

Eat less beef.

Could we argue a moral case for wiping out a species for the good of the planet?

Pretty sure I read somewhere the biggest diff your average person could make in terms of carbon footprint would be to completely stop eating cow.
Under-21 coach David Platt added: "If Shola recognises what he's got, all hell could break loose."

Offline Delima

• Cretin
  • General Member
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 15 December 2009, 11:01:33 AM »
Global warming is real. The crux of the issue is, is it man made, and if man made how to address it.

1. I am simply not scientifically qualified enough to rigorously examine the validity of man-made global warming. I simply have to trust the opinions of the vast majority of climate scientists (which agrees that global warming is man made). And even if it is not man made - all the cited causes of man made global warming (deforestation, fuel, livestock industries etc) are very polluting and very damaging to the environment. Even if global warming is absent - we need to stop deforestation etc. So, it is pratically harmless to believe in man made global warming.

2. The no. 1 main contributor to global warming is our livestock industries. Our livestock industries contribute to 51% of greenhouse gases. It is meaningless for you to switch off the light if you are going to continue eating meat. The most immediately helpful way to counter man made global warming is to go vegetarianism/veganism. UK/Europe scientists and minister had suggested to us to cut down our meat consumption to meet our carbon target. Unfortunately too many people are too selfish in their eating habits, and don't allow their diet cultures to be challenged. The scientist/minister were being culturally sensitive to the public by merely suggesting us to cut down our meat consumption.
There are two tragedies in life. One is to lose your heart's desire, the other is to gain it - George Bernard Shaw

Offline Delima

• Cretin
  • General Member
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 15 December 2009, 11:08:31 AM »
Could we argue a moral case for wiping out a species for the good of the planet?

Pretty sure I read somewhere the biggest diff your average person could make in terms of carbon footprint would be to completely stop eating cow.

Seen your post only after I type mine ! You are completely right - stop eating cows will cut down your carbon footprint very significantly. A lot of grass/bean/cone were farmed to be inefficiently transformed into beef meat. Cows, like any other mammal orgnaism, release global warming farts. After cows are slaughtered, quite often their meats are redundantly packaged and transported across the globe.

Stop eating cow would not wipe cow out of existence, cows could and do live in the wild. Whereas if you eat beef, you are contributing to the murdering of a cow for your taste bud. And most likely the cow was kept in factory farm, where their living conditions were terrible.

The simple truth is it is not morally justifiable for us to eat meat, unless your survival depends on it.
There are two tragedies in life. One is to lose your heart's desire, the other is to gain it - George Bernard Shaw

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 15 December 2009, 11:13:34 AM »
coupled with cow farts

Eat less beef.

or if the species were man ?
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline Mowen

• General Member
  • Sepp Blatter w*****
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 15 December 2009, 11:34:33 AM »
coupled with cow farts

Eat less beef.

They're ahead of us in the line.
Under-21 coach David Platt added: "If Shola recognises what he's got, all hell could break loose."

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 15 December 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
coupled with cow farts

Eat less beef.

They're ahead of us in the line.
not according to this bloke.....

Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline Parky

• General Member
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 15 December 2009, 11:42:43 AM »
well - ice cores show that the maximum CO2 in the last 5 interglacial periods peaked at 300 ppmv

What percentage of atmospheric Co2 is man made?

ProudToBeAGeordie

« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 15 December 2009, 12:17:52 PM »
I wish it would hurry up,  I'm bloddy freezing here :(

Offline Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 15 December 2009, 02:31:55 PM »
Well we either sit around and do nothing, and if the climate warms as predicted we are f***ed. Or we change over to cleaner technologies so even if the climate doesn't change we aren't relying on a fuel source that will run out.

Things that should be done, are an EU wide law removing stand by switches from tvs etc, people should stop being lazy and get up and turn it on.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 15 December 2009, 02:49:42 PM »
Well we either sit around and do nothing, and if the climate warms as predicted we are f***ed. Or we change over to cleaner technologies so even if the climate doesn't change we aren't relying on a fuel source that will run out.

Things that should be done, are an EU wide law removing stand by switches from tvs etc, people should stop being lazy and get up and turn it on.
on a side note i wonder just how many things people leave plugged in when out or in bed or whatever.

all we leave is the fridge freezer,phone x2 and combi boiler. if we are going out for a couple iof hours and not recording anything even the tv cable system power is off.

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 15 December 2009, 02:51:49 PM »

i totally agree this is a f***ing joke

Offline Mowen

• General Member
  • Sepp Blatter w*****
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 15 December 2009, 02:54:31 PM »

on a side note i wonder just how many things people leave plugged in when out or in bed or whatever.

all we leave is the fridge freezer,phone x2 and combi boiler. if we are going out for a couple iof hours and not recording anything even the tv cable system power is off.

At the wall? Does this make a diff?

TV is never on standby, don't have a video or freeview box etc and the ps2 is unplugged to leave the light off, would it make any difference at all to have the tv unplugged?

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 15 December 2009, 02:59:38 PM »

At the wall? Does this make a diff?

TV is never on standby, don't have a video or freeview box etc and the ps2 is unplugged to leave the light off, would it make any difference at all to have the tv unplugged?
it dies make a diff for things like tv sat systems.

Offline Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 15 December 2009, 03:04:58 PM »
Ps3, if you turn the switch at the back of fit doesn't use any power, we used to turn the old sky box off, but the HD+ box is a right arse if you turn it off at the wall so we generally just leave that on standby by over night.

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 15 December 2009, 03:05:42 PM »
Its the those stupid foreigners again, we are all in this together.  Why do foreigners refuse to help.

God Damn.