Author Topic: Climate change  (Read 42057 times)

Offline polkaDot

• General Member
Re: Climate change
« Reply #775 on: Wednesday 29 April 2020, 04:31:45 PM »
I just checked his twitter and he’s pimping this piece as the rebuttal to the film

https://ketanjoshi.co/2020/04/24/planet-of-the-humans-a-reheated-mess-of-lazy-old-myths/

Seems to be what I thought, old info regarding solar & wind. Personally I don’t think this matters too much, the above article still doesn’t talk about materials and production of solar and wind hardware, the fact that it’s a pretty dirty industry isn’t mentioned.

The film is more concerned with biomass energy which the article doesn’t discuss. The author also resorts to accusations right-wing conspiracies and racism against the film that seem to me a smear tactic to distract from some important topics the film raises.

I think it’s worth watching and making your own mind up about it.

Offline Varadi

• General Member
« Reply #776 on: Wednesday 29 April 2020, 05:45:33 PM »
Aye, that was the link I had read too, he's been tweeting Moore about it quite a bit since it came out. If the rest of the film is decent maybe he's just being a bit over-sensitive about the overall message being clouded by those inaccuracies?

Offline polkaDot

• General Member
« Reply #777 on: Wednesday 29 April 2020, 06:09:08 PM »
it seems that concentrating on some of the solar & wind inaccuracies is an attempt to rebuke to whole film, when the film is about a lot more than just solar & wind.

Also taking the position (like moinbot) that a critique of green energy automatically posits you alongside pro-fossil fuel right-wingers is a pretty desperate take, the film is more (to me anyway) about our approach to energy use and resource depletion. That the solar disciples may not be able to maintain the current rate of energy consumption is a point worth considering, not sweeping under the carpet.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #778 on: Wednesday 29 April 2020, 09:49:16 PM »
33 seconds in, a woman in her 30/40s with 2 teenage children, "I hope I get ME at least another 50 years". Aye f*** the kids pet.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #779 on: Wednesday 29 April 2020, 10:51:39 PM »
it seems that concentrating on some of the solar & wind inaccuracies is an attempt to rebuke to whole film, when the film is about a lot more than just solar & wind.

Also taking the position (like moinbot) that a critique of green energy automatically posits you alongside pro-fossil fuel right-wingers is a pretty desperate take, the film is more (to me anyway) about our approach to energy use and resource depletion. That the solar disciples may not be able to maintain the current rate of energy consumption is a point worth considering, not sweeping under the carpet.

Particularly when you consider the amount of fossil fuel required to maintain it.

Offline LoveItIfWeBeatU

• General Member
« Reply #780 on: Friday 1 May 2020, 12:20:54 PM »
A breakthrough approaches for solar power

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51799503
Thier is not a word. "Their" is the correct spelling.

Win, Lose or Draw. NOT "Loose"!

Offline Varadi

• General Member
« Reply #781 on: Tuesday 23 June 2020, 03:33:38 PM »

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #782 on: Tuesday 23 June 2020, 03:46:35 PM »
MAKE GREENLAND GREEN AGAIN.

Online Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #783 on: Tuesday 23 June 2020, 04:11:09 PM »
I’m sure that the same people who balk when asked to wear masks while out in public will gladly make the necessary sacrifices to ensure that our planet doesn’t become uninhabitable.

Offline gbandit

• General Member
  • Brighton
« Reply #784 on: Tuesday 23 June 2020, 05:17:29 PM »
I said this in a previous thread but I feel the climate crisis is going to lead a large-scale international war. These corrupt governments won’t look to themselves to change. When mass immigration is essential because of displacement there will be more division and when food shortages become an issue things will really go to s***. It’s so painful to be powerless to effect real change in this area

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #785 on: Tuesday 23 June 2020, 06:11:56 PM »
I said this in a previous thread but I feel the climate crisis is going to lead a large-scale international war. These corrupt governments won’t look to themselves to change. When mass immigration is essential because of displacement there will be more division and when food shortages become an issue things will really go to s***. It’s so painful to be powerless to effect real change in this area

Yeap, would say if people think the pandemic has been bad then this will 100x worse.

Offline Varadi

• General Member
« Reply #786 on: Tuesday 30 June 2020, 10:29:12 AM »
Incredible footage

Offline Super Duper Branko Strupar

• General Member
  • Leeds Leeds Leeds
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Offline Varadi

• General Member
« Reply #788 on: Monday 17 August 2020, 12:50:23 PM »
Just the 54.4C (130F) recorded in Death Valley, possibly a new high for a recorded temperature anywhere on the planet

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/aug/17/death-valley-temperature-rises-to-544c-possibly-the-hottest-ever-reliably-recorded

Online thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
  • The perfect food
« Reply #789 on: Sunday 13 September 2020, 12:38:31 AM »
ahahahahahah

« Last Edit: Sunday 13 September 2020, 11:21:43 AM by BlueStar »

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #790 on: Sunday 13 September 2020, 10:59:59 AM »
Eh?
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Offline Decky

• General Member
Steve Bruce, liar, s*** manager and general prick.

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
« Reply #792 on: Sunday 13 September 2020, 11:25:23 AM »
He's deleted it.  I've replaced with a screenshot.

Think James Woods is probably the thickest person on Twitter, which is quite an accolade.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #793 on: Sunday 13 September 2020, 12:14:01 PM »
Wow, that's a thing of f***ing beauty. :lol:
Making mistakes is how you learn.
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #794 on: Sunday 13 September 2020, 01:08:12 PM »
Googled “James Woods Climate change”. Man.

“James Woods Skewers Climate Change Crowd”
“James Woods SCHOOLS Greta Thunberg”
“BOOM! Obama’s ‘personal’ story of climate change gets smoked”

This is the end, my friends.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #795 on: Sunday 13 September 2020, 01:36:04 PM »

I remember Vivienne Westwood on some chat show 10 years ago saying the same thing.
The warming up of Africa will lead to crop failures, which will lead to skirmishes, which will lead to war, which will lead to mass immigration into Europe, which will lead to full-blown fascism, which will lead to civil war, which will be the end of us all.
Happy days...

Online QuakesMag

• General Member
  • Carmel, California
« Reply #796 on: Sunday 13 September 2020, 08:36:40 PM »
ahahahahahah

God he is such an insufferable dipshit. Doesn't take much research to find that there are also 25 wildfires in British Columbia. Many of them were also caused by dry lightning.
Not one of the cool kids, and really insecure about it.

Offline Mike

• General Member