Author Topic: Stand-up Comedy  (Read 60110 times)

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
Re: Stand-up Comedy
« Reply #950 on: Monday 16 September 2019, 07:40:12 AM »
Thought Paper Tiger was class tbh. :lol:

Really?
You must get my point though. At a time when the huuuuge elephant in the room is Trump and the far-right, he goes on about the MeToo movement!
Really?
Pub-bore antics - and worse - not a single gag.

Offline The Prophet

• General Member
« Reply #951 on: Monday 16 September 2019, 07:54:31 AM »
It's basically what gives us the upper hand even in times of crisis. "Cannit wait man, we're gonna batter them, hope it's 4 or 5 nil, fancy such and such for a hat trick, we're going got Europe, they're a yo-yo team" Then five minutes into the game "s***, why haven't we scored? They've had a shot! Why aren't we all over them? How come there are two teams in the game? f***, what if we don't win? f***s SAKE CLEAR IT SHOOT TACKLE HIM BOO! What if we lose, PANIC PANIC BRUCE MAN WHAT ARE YOU DOING WHY DID HE MISS THAT SHOT, IS HE A MAG?! IT'S BECAUSE BRUCE IS A MAG! f*** OFF STEWARD ARE YOU A f***ing MAG? BET ALL THESE COPPERS ARE MAGS, AND THE MEDIA! THE REF'S A f***ing MAG! AM I A MAG?! Wait, blacked out for a second there. Ah, f***, we've lost again."

Offline The Prophet

• General Member
« Reply #952 on: Monday 16 September 2019, 07:56:20 AM »
Thought Paper Tiger was class tbh. :lol:

Really?
You must get my point though. At a time when the huuuuge elephant in the room is Trump and the far-right, he goes on about the MeToo movement!
Really?
Pub-bore antics - and worse - not a single gag.

The stand up Trump gags have been done to death though. It's a comedy, it doesn't need to be factually representative.
It's basically what gives us the upper hand even in times of crisis. "Cannit wait man, we're gonna batter them, hope it's 4 or 5 nil, fancy such and such for a hat trick, we're going got Europe, they're a yo-yo team" Then five minutes into the game "s***, why haven't we scored? They've had a shot! Why aren't we all over them? How come there are two teams in the game? f***, what if we don't win? f***s SAKE CLEAR IT SHOOT TACKLE HIM BOO! What if we lose, PANIC PANIC BRUCE MAN WHAT ARE YOU DOING WHY DID HE MISS THAT SHOT, IS HE A MAG?! IT'S BECAUSE BRUCE IS A MAG! f*** OFF STEWARD ARE YOU A f***ing MAG? BET ALL THESE COPPERS ARE MAGS, AND THE MEDIA! THE REF'S A f***ing MAG! AM I A MAG?! Wait, blacked out for a second there. Ah, f***, we've lost again."

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #953 on: Monday 16 September 2019, 03:04:40 PM »
I don't understand how anybody that likes Bill Burr, didn't like that special. Fair enough if you were never a fan, but it's classic Burr.

Offline Hanshithispantz

• General Member
« Reply #954 on: Monday 16 September 2019, 04:29:06 PM »
I love Burr but thought it was canny underwhelming tbh, the one before wasn’t too great either I thought. Chapelle’s was better.

And you’d have to be severely out of touch with reality to think that any old-school left wing comedians should be ‘addressing’ Donald Trump like :lol:

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Get outta here, snail!
« Reply #955 on: Wednesday 18 September 2019, 11:21:43 PM »
Guardian's top 50 comedians of the 21st century.  Should enrage a few people.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2019/sep/18/best-comedians-of-the-21st-century-comics-standup-comedy

Online thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
  • Here's that Portuguese wizard battle you ordered.
« Reply #956 on: Wednesday 18 September 2019, 11:39:32 PM »
#'s 23 and 21 particularly. I'm not sure what it is Tig Notaro or Hannah Gadsby actually do but it isn't comedy.

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #957 on: Thursday 19 September 2019, 12:20:23 AM »
Seems odd to throw traditional stand-up comedians together with “actors who are funny.” W/e.

Online thomas

• General Member
« Reply #958 on: Thursday 19 September 2019, 12:21:02 AM »
STEWART LEE SHOULD BE WAY HIGHER #BROKENBRITAIN

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Get outta here, snail!
« Reply #959 on: Thursday 19 September 2019, 12:22:14 AM »
Seems odd to throw traditional stand-up comedians together with “actors who are funny.” W/e.

All the actors up there are also writers aren't they?

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #960 on: Thursday 19 September 2019, 12:25:19 AM »

Dunno, I haven’t heard of half the people on that list. :lol:

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #961 on: Thursday 19 September 2019, 12:25:22 AM »
I don't even know who Tina Fey is, suspect that's my fault more than hers.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Online thomas

• General Member
« Reply #962 on: Thursday 19 September 2019, 12:27:04 AM »

How are you already 80 years old. :lol:

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #963 on: Thursday 19 September 2019, 12:29:41 AM »

How are you already 80 years old. :lol:

Drawing blanks on 4 of the top 10 :lol:

I’ll chalk it down to being a UK-centric list.

Online joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #964 on: Thursday 19 September 2019, 06:59:09 AM »
James Acaster as the 4th best comedian this century is hilarious

Online Kimbo

• General Member
« Reply #965 on: Thursday 19 September 2019, 08:27:00 AM »
Nish Kumar ahead of Stewart Lee. The man is an absolute shocker.

Offline Papavasiliou

• General Member
« Reply #966 on: Thursday 19 September 2019, 08:45:11 AM »
f***ing hell, never thought they'd mention Hamlet 2 in the number one spot. They are right though, it's underrated.

Offline bhoywhonder

• General Member
« Reply #967 on: Thursday 19 September 2019, 09:06:52 AM »
Stewart Lee at #41 must be a call back to his '41st best stand up' tour because he surely deserves to be top ten at least. Quite why they have TV shows like People Just Do Nothing in there is baffling, you might as well include Peep Show (Neither Mitchell nor Webb appearing? Really?)

#'s 23 and 21 particularly. I'm not sure what it is Tig Notaro or Hannah Gadsby actually do but it isn't comedy.

Gadsby's 'Nanette' surely stretches the definition of what stand up comedy is....it was more like a cross between an empty-chair therapy session and a TED talk. Tig Notaro falls slap-bang into the box marked "things Guardian readers should like regardless of her actual content, which isn't actually funny but shhh"

In short: Vic & Bob, Lee and Kitson too low, Acaster waaay too high at #4 and there are about 10 who shouldnt even be on the list...in my humble (but correct) opinion.
Newcastle é conhecido por ser o paraíso das skanks no UK

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #968 on: Thursday 19 September 2019, 10:47:59 AM »

His voice alone should demote him.

I don't think I've heard of about half of them and some obvious stand-ups appear to be missing. Jim Jefferies, Richard Pryor et al.

Offline Papavasiliou

• General Member
« Reply #969 on: Thursday 19 September 2019, 11:14:39 AM »

I don't think I've heard of about half of them and some obvious stand-ups appear to be missing. Jim Jefferies, Richard Pryor et al.

21st Century

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #970 on: Thursday 19 September 2019, 11:32:29 AM »

21st Century

Reading is not a strong point of mine. :lol:

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #971 on: Thursday 19 September 2019, 11:57:16 AM »
Stop these lists, for God's sake.

Online Varadi

• General Member
« Reply #972 on: Thursday 19 September 2019, 05:39:53 PM »
Stop these lists, for God's sake.

:lol: Aye. I wouldn't even be able to agree with my own list from a few weeks ago, never mind anyone else's.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Get outta here, snail!
« Reply #973 on: Thursday 19 September 2019, 05:42:58 PM »
Stewart Lee at #41 must be a call back to his '41st best stand up' tour because he surely deserves to be top ten at least. Quite why they have TV shows like People Just Do Nothing in there is baffling, you might as well include Peep Show (Neither Mitchell nor Webb appearing? Really?)

Gadsby's 'Nanette' surely stretches the definition of what stand up comedy is....it was more like a cross between an empty-chair therapy session and a TED talk. Tig Notaro falls slap-bang into the box marked "things Guardian readers should like regardless of her actual content, which isn't actually funny but shhh"

In short: Vic & Bob, Lee and Kitson too low, Acaster waaay too high at #4 and there are about 10 who shouldnt even be on the list...in my humble (but correct) opinion.

As much as I love Vic and Bob, they peaked in the 90s.  They'd probably be top 5 if it was best comedians of the 20th century.

Online thomas

• General Member
« Reply #974 on: Thursday 19 September 2019, 05:57:16 PM »
Tier lists are the preferred ranking system now anyway.