Author Topic: Stand-up Comedy  (Read 60162 times)

Offline bhoywhonder

• General Member
Re: Stand-up Comedy
« Reply #925 on: Monday 27 May 2019, 03:42:50 PM »
Sadowitz at the Stand last night.....Jesus, hard to describe. absolute force of nature this guy sometimes.....never seen anyone actively invite his audience to hate him to this degree and still kill it.

Anyone catch Louis Burgess at the stand tonight?

ah crap, missed this

Doug Stanhope set to appear in the second series of 'Sick of it', with Karl Pilkington.

This has the potential to be absolutely superb
Newcastle é conhecido por ser o paraíso das skanks no UK

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #926 on: Friday 23 August 2019, 12:33:25 AM »
Went to the Edinburgh Fringe yesterday, my first time.

Thoroughly enjoyed it and went with recommendations from my good friend who tagged along and with tried and trusted faves of mine, namely Terry Alderton and Gavin Webster, the former we went and had a few drinks with. Amazing as always and even better company.

The first show we seen was The Black Comedy Showcase show. Black or mixed race comedians basically making fun of themselves, white people, racism and stereotypes. I really enjoyed it. One of the acts bigged up Ian Cognito, paying tribute to him as one of his mentors moments into the act. He did most of his set after that clearly welled up. Lovely touch and we were just talking about him before the kick off as my good mate knew him too, in fact I learned to my embarrassment he knows every f***ing comedian the c***.

Next up was a Geordie comic called Rahul Kohli who was very good, engaging with every member of the audience to generate topical content in which he used to turn into laughter. Brilliant I thought.

Then come Terry Alderton who for me is simply a f***ing genius, for whatever reason his entire comedy act is just bang on in terms of my own sense of humour, he fits every single element of my kind of comedy into one show via his entire repertoire. He has the lot and it actually hurt at times just laughing.

After that we ended up watching a show with various acts for an hour before an hour of Scot Roast which was brutal, but again great. We finished the evening with an hour of Gavin Webster who I just love. Unfortunately by midnight we were so tired and f***ed from the drinking, walking and for me some early morning driving from Newcastle to Edinburgh.

My mate being the c*** he is made sure we sat at the front for every show and that I specifically got singled out. But I took everything in the spirit of things and made sure if I’m going to be participating I’m going to enjoy every moment.

I won a free rigged raffle to get on stage, the prize a Marathon chocolate bar. Being the Black Comedy Showcase, the joke was I ended up calling the Black compare a Snicker...

My shark obsession become the but of a joke at one show as well as my profession, Terry had me shitting myself zeroing in on me at times during his gig and I ended up on stage getting hugs and kisses from an entire audience and a few comics (and several requests for my number which I dealt with by saying sorry, I’m gay and with my c*** of a mate). Sorry ladies...

That same gig, one of the comics on the mic ended up using me for one of his gags/acts finishing bare chested in a bra and dry humping me. I got his number. And then I was roasted by a bunch of brute savages during the Scot Roast, thankfully they took mercy on me and let me off lightly compared to the rest, including my c*** of a mate.

And lastly a good old hour with Gav.

All in all a great experience, but as a businessman myself talking to a few comics, the Fringe to many is no different than busking/begging and a whole lot less profitable. But hey, I had a f***ing good old laugh at their expense and didn’t mind others having a laugh at mine!
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline Bimpy474

• General Member
« Reply #927 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 07:47:02 PM »
Waiting for Romesh Ranganathan to come on, another birthday present from Mrs B.

Offline Bimpy474

• General Member
« Reply #928 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 11:14:05 PM »
Absolutely hilarious, brilliant stand up show.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #929 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 11:30:32 PM »
Whatever happened to Mark Thomas?

Offline Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
« Reply #930 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 11:49:09 PM »
Whatever happened to Mark Thomas?

Tours every year and you can buy his stand up dvds but he's not done anything on TV for ages. He's still very good, think he got fed up with being watered down by the lawyers on C4.

Also has written a few books that are very good. He's just as active, just not on TV.
Bearings Straight!

Offline Si

• General Member
« Reply #931 on: Friday 13 September 2019, 12:02:34 AM »

The Mark Thomas Comedy Product was formative television for me, he's badly missed in the mainstream.
Bearings Straight!

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #932 on: Friday 13 September 2019, 12:42:14 AM »
Not formative, but certainly developmental. Almost got to see him at the Hen and Chickens, in 2005. But ended up watching some comedy troupe with Katy Brand, very funny, but not MT.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #933 on: Friday 13 September 2019, 01:05:20 AM »
Found this quote on his wiki page;

"I try to find the good in my enemies. It's not unusual to be able to get on with people despite what they are doing being awful. The only person I have met who I considered to be without any redeeming features was […] Nicholas Soames. […] He was such a pantomime baddie."

Offline Si

• General Member
« Reply #934 on: Friday 13 September 2019, 01:37:10 AM »
I saw him live in 2000 maybe 2001. He was incredible, an absolute force equal parts rage, tears, inspiration and nob gags. Watching the white hot rage of someone on stage in tears was incredible then deflating the tension with a gag. The guy is a brilliant orator and storyteller.
Bearings Straight!

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #935 on: Friday 13 September 2019, 01:55:01 PM »
Couldn't help myself. Had to watch the first season of his Comedy Product (the one before New Labour took to office). The material has aged well, but the editing and style is horrific.

Still, the most notable thing was how relevant it still is.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #936 on: Friday 13 September 2019, 02:11:19 PM »
Watched Mark Thomas a few years back at the Stand Newcastle, he was amazing!

Offline bhoywhonder

• General Member
« Reply #937 on: Friday 13 September 2019, 06:58:56 PM »
Mark Thomas at his peak was incredible, (though his 'brothers and sisters' way of addressing the audience was so f'kin annoying) and the MT Comedy
Product (later notably dropping the word comedy!) was very ahead of its time.

If you have Netflix you might have seen the new Bill Burr stand up special is available. Don't bother. Absolute hack s*** of the highest order.
Newcastle é conhecido por ser o paraíso das skanks no UK

Offline Si

• General Member
« Reply #938 on: Friday 13 September 2019, 10:31:07 PM »
I'm 3/4 of the way through Paper Tiger. Don't think I've broke a smile once.

Bearings Straight!

Offline Mike

• General Member
  • *cocaine scream*
« Reply #939 on: Saturday 14 September 2019, 12:28:38 AM »

"MY FAMILY" got me, tbh. :lol:

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #940 on: Saturday 14 September 2019, 12:42:29 AM »
Mark Thomas at his peak was incredible, (though his 'brothers and sisters' way of addressing the audience was so f'kin annoying) and the MT Comedy
Product (later notably dropping the word comedy!) was very ahead of its time.

It certainly was. Soon replaced by Ali G, who was a little less political, then Bo Selecta who took it away from politics and into the world of celebrity.

Online thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
  • Here's that Portuguese wizard battle you ordered.
« Reply #941 on: Saturday 14 September 2019, 01:09:33 AM »
I feel like I've heard a lot of  this material before. Burr's been taking shots at Michelle for a long time, the "first 'first hustband'" bit. His self-satisfied 1980's MLB color commentator chuckle at the end of some of his own jokes gets on my nerves.

Offline Mike

• General Member
  • *cocaine scream*
« Reply #942 on: Saturday 14 September 2019, 01:29:11 AM »
His self-satisfied 1980's MLB color commentator chuckle at the end of some of his own jokes gets on my nerves.

:lol:

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #943 on: Sunday 15 September 2019, 12:35:14 PM »

Same here. I thought I'd give it a go. The guy's popular, he must have something, eh?
He just whinges and swears with no actual comedic effort.
He started with 'What the f***'s wrong with our country?'
Then proceeded to not actually mention Trump and the far-right once.
No, apparently it's the MeToo movement that is causing children to be locked in cages, taxes for the rich cut, and environment going to s***.
He kicks downwards not upwards.
Never even broke a smile.

Online thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
  • Here's that Portuguese wizard battle you ordered.
« Reply #944 on: Sunday 15 September 2019, 12:42:49 PM »
first half - everyone else is the problem
last half - actually the problem is everything about me

it wasn't an m night  shyamalan level twist or particularly great tbh. No real memorable bits either.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #945 on: Sunday 15 September 2019, 04:36:53 PM »
"MY FAMILY!"

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Only here for the GC.
« Reply #946 on: Sunday 15 September 2019, 04:41:11 PM »
Watched most of Chapelle's Sticks and Stones this weekend. It was...not good. There were a few funny bits, but by and large it was no better than s*** you could hear from ignorant assholes at the local.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #947 on: Sunday 15 September 2019, 06:34:06 PM »
Nah DC is class like!

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #948 on: Sunday 15 September 2019, 07:01:19 PM »
Watched most of Chapelle's Sticks and Stones this weekend. It was...not good. There were a few funny bits, but by and large it was no better than s*** you could hear from ignorant assholes at the local.

It felt...tired? Maybe I just expect more from him.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #949 on: Monday 16 September 2019, 07:17:34 AM »
Thought Paper Tiger was class tbh. :lol: