Author Topic: Stand-up Comedy  (Read 62399 times)

Heneage

Re: Stand-up Comedy
« Reply #75 on: Thursday 24 December 2009, 05:15:45 PM »
Well I've just fallen in love with you two, he's one of my favourite comedians knocking about, his piece with lots of one liners, about naming 'Oranges before Carrotts' and 'Super Busy Hospital.' Just have me in tears.

Is super busy hospital the computer game ?
Yep :lol:

'Dude can you be quiet, I'm trying to perform surgery on a guy that was shot 54 times in the head.'

n4e

« Reply #76 on: Thursday 24 December 2009, 05:24:54 PM »
Well I've just fallen in love with you two, he's one of my favourite comedians knocking about, his piece with lots of one liners, about naming 'Oranges before Carrotts' and 'Super Busy Hospital.' Just have me in tears.

Is super busy hospital the computer game ?
Yep :lol:

'Dude can you be quiet, I'm trying to perform surgery on a guy that was shot 54 times in the head.'

Class.  :lol:

I like the things about people in the shoe shops bring you a size smaller than you aksed for if they don't have your size in stock.

Offline Mike

• General Member
  • Long Island, NY
« Reply #77 on: Friday 25 December 2009, 09:29:02 PM »

Patton Oswalt.

:lol: This guy is outstanding. So funny.

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #78 on: Friday 25 December 2009, 09:37:57 PM »
I love me some Patton Oswalt but I find him very inaccessible to most people.  You really have to have a certain sense of humor to really get him.
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

Offline Mike

• General Member
  • Long Island, NY
« Reply #79 on: Friday 25 December 2009, 09:45:05 PM »
:nods: He's very geeky and sarcastic.

Offline LucaAltieri

• General Member
« Reply #80 on: Friday 25 December 2009, 09:59:51 PM »
Good shout.

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #81 on: Friday 25 December 2009, 10:03:37 PM »
He's in a movie that gets its DVD release in Jan too that looked really f***ing good.  It's called Big Fan (and about the Giants, Mike O0 ).  It's at the top of my Netflix queue so as soon as it gets released I can watch it.  Really stoked.

Trailer link: http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/bigfan/
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

Offline Mike

• General Member
  • Long Island, NY
« Reply #82 on: Friday 25 December 2009, 10:06:24 PM »
Big Fan looks like a hell of a movie. I'd love it if Patton makes it as an actor.

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #83 on: Friday 25 December 2009, 10:09:14 PM »
Big Fan looks like a hell of a movie. I'd love it if Patton makes it as an actor.

Especially if he can make it in a movie like that.  He looks like he can do the serious stuff though so I am excited.
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

Offline Mike

• General Member
  • Long Island, NY
« Reply #84 on: Friday 25 December 2009, 10:17:31 PM »
:lol: I was shocked when I saw the trailer.

Offline MyPalAl

• General Member
« Reply #85 on: Sunday 27 December 2009, 10:42:30 PM »
You can't beat a good laugh!

Seen Lee Evans 4 times, Chubby Brown, Bobby Thompson (I was little, and my dad owned the venue, otherwise I wouldn't!), Jethro and Ross Noble.

Been a busy year this year, as it has turned into a bit of a hobby. This year; went to the Newcgastle/Gateshead Comedy Festival closing night, seen Ross Noble twice, Rob Brydon twice, Al Murray, Jimmy Carr, Rhod Gilbert, Russell Howard, Jason Manford, Marcus Brigstock, John Bishop, Alun Cochrane, Michael McIntyre, Ricky Gervais and Stewart Francis.

Got tickets for next year to see Lee Mack, Jason Manford, Peter Kay, Kevin Bridges, Dave Gorman, Sean Lock, Frankie Boyle and Mark Watson.

The Bish was mint, Rob Brydon was a surprise (didn't know what to expect, was brilliant), Al Murray was possibly the best, Russell Howard much better than I expected, as was Rick Gervais. Ross Noble was good, in fact, thought they were all great, with the single exception of Marcus Brigstock, who I though was utter s****. So much so, that I walked out at half time. He was w***. The only reservation I have about next years gigs is Dave Gorman. Not sure about him, but will give him a go (had the same feeling about Russell Howard, but he was very good, and I will go the next time he is up here.)

Stand ups on my 'want to see list' are Harry Hill, Dave Spikey, Micky Flanagan, Milton Jones, Paul Tonkinson, Tom Stade, Tim Vine, and after seeing her on Live at The Apollo, Sarah Millican.

Any other recommendations people?

« Last Edit: Sunday 27 December 2009, 11:19:40 PM by MyPalAl »

Offline Incognito

• General Member
  • Get your hands off me you freak
« Reply #86 on: Monday 28 December 2009, 02:29:34 AM »

Seen Lee Evans 4 times, Chubby Brown, Bobby Thompson (I was little, and my dad owned the venue, otherwise I wouldn't!), Jethro and Ross Noble.

Been a busy year this year, as it has turned into a bit of a hobby. This year; went to the Newcgastle/Gateshead Comedy Festival closing night, seen Ross Noble twice, Rob Brydon twice, Al Murray, Jimmy Carr, Rhod Gilbert, Russell Howard, Jason Manford, Marcus Brigstock, John Bishop, Alun Cochrane, Michael McIntyre, Ricky Gervais and Stewart Francis.

Got tickets for next year to see Lee Mack, Jason Manford, Peter Kay, Kevin Bridges, Dave Gorman, Sean Lock, Frankie Boyle and Mark Watson.

The Bish was mint, Rob Brydon was a surprise (didn't know what to expect, was brilliant), Al Murray was possibly the best, Russell Howard much better than I expected, as was Rick Gervais. Ross Noble was good, in fact, thought they were all great, with the single exception of Marcus Brigstock, who I though was utter s****. So much so, that I walked out at half time. He was w***. The only reservation I have about next years gigs is Dave Gorman. Not sure about him, but will give him a go (had the same feeling about Russell Howard, but he was very good, and I will go the next time he is up here.)

Stand ups on my 'want to see list' are Harry Hill, Dave Spikey, Micky Flanagan, Milton Jones, Paul Tonkinson, Tom Stade, Tim Vine, and after seeing her on Live at The Apollo, Sarah Millican.

Dave Spikey is very good...avoid Patrick Mc Guinness,a burning orphanage is funnier than him,Daniel Kitson is very good too,though I've only seen him on Youtube.
RIP gejon/cajun/ Jon Lockwood.

Proud to have made your acquaintance Sir.

Offline Mowen

• General Member
  • Sepp Blatter w*****
« Reply #87 on: Monday 28 December 2009, 02:37:49 AM »

Dave Spikey is very good...avoid Patrick Mc Guinness,a burning orphanage is funnier than him,Daniel Kitson is very good too,though I've only seen him on Youtube.

I found Dave Kitson pretty entertaining on the 20th.
Under-21 coach David Platt added: "If Shola recognises what he's got, all hell could break loose."

Offline GeordieMessiah

• Forum Colossus
  • General Member
« Reply #88 on: Monday 28 December 2009, 12:27:51 PM »
Adam Hills, Reginald D Hunter and a certain chap called Danny Bhoy.

See Danny Bhoy here:

:lol:
Whether it's God or the bomb
It's just the same
It's only fear under another name
And the corporate snakes coming in to feed
On that pathetic fact known as human greed
Skin and bone being raked over those hot coals
This dump never seems to give time for human soul

Offline Geordie Boot Boy

• General Member
« Reply #89 on: Tuesday 29 December 2009, 07:37:19 PM »
...in fact, thought they were all great, with the single exception of Marcus Brigstock, who I though was utter s****. So much so, that I walked out at half time. He was w***...

Can't see where you're coming from. I saw him this year and really enjoyed the show. I thought it was well worth the relatively cheap ticket price and there were plenty of laughs in there. I'm surprised that you liked everyone but him TBH.

Offline MyPalAl

• General Member
« Reply #90 on: Tuesday 29 December 2009, 10:07:48 PM »
...in fact, thought they were all great, with the single exception of Marcus Brigstock, who I though was utter s****. So much so, that I walked out at half time. He was w***...

Can't see where you're coming from. I saw him this year and really enjoyed the show. I thought it was well worth the relatively cheap ticket price and there were plenty of laughs in there. I'm surprised that you liked everyone but him TBH.

Must just be my sense of humour, tbh. Not being religous, I should have had an inkling of what was in store with the 'God Collar' title, and most of it just went over my head, and I honestly didn't laugh once. Also, a lot of it was political, referring to The Guardian, The Independant and such, and again, I am not into political jokes. It was simply a mis-match for me, but it was the only blot on an otherwise excellent year of comedy. You can't win 'em all!

elbee909

« Reply #91 on: Thursday 31 December 2009, 12:47:15 AM »
Seeing Stewart Lee on the 6th Jan.  A proper stand-up, not like bloody Noble and s**** like Lee f***ing Mack.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #92 on: Thursday 31 December 2009, 12:51:37 AM »
Seeing Stewart Lee on the 6th Jan.  A proper stand-up, not like bloody Noble and s**** like Lee f***ing Mack.
first off don't put noble and mack in the same group.

secondly.....stewart lee is weird, his material is fantastic, if only someone else done it as i constantly have the desire to stamp on his eyes.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline Mike

• General Member
  • Long Island, NY
« Reply #93 on: Thursday 31 December 2009, 01:07:51 AM »
Who is the best English/British stand up comic?

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #94 on: Thursday 31 December 2009, 01:12:20 AM »
Who is the best English/British stand up comic?
depends what your after ?

satire,the gagman,the shocker,observationalist,surealist etc

eddie izzard is always up there personally as is the non comedian ian hislop for biting staire.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline Mike

• General Member
  • Long Island, NY
« Reply #95 on: Thursday 31 December 2009, 01:15:37 AM »
I like a sarcastic, self deprecating comic with some observation humo(u)r tossed in. No music. Nothing worse than a comic with an acoustic guitar.

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #96 on: Thursday 31 December 2009, 04:50:45 AM »
I like a sarcastic, self deprecating comic with some observation humo(u)r tossed in. No music. Nothing worse than a comic with an acoustic guitar.

I love Carr and Gervais for that kind of stuff.
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

Offline Robster

• in a lorry
  • General Member
  • Solihull, West Midlands. GB
« Reply #97 on: Thursday 31 December 2009, 08:58:13 AM »
Ross Noble is my current favourite stand up.

I miss Billy Connelly being at his peak though. The best there has ever been for me. The "Audience with" show is probably my favourite piece of all.
" Managers matter, but our manager is desperate for you, and his boss, to believe that they don’t. "
sackpardew.com

Offline localshop

• General Member
« Reply #98 on: Thursday 31 December 2009, 01:15:50 PM »
Anybody see Jon Richardson at the Live Theatre before Christmas? It was a bargain at £10 a ticket, he's a great natural comedian.

Offline ElDiablo

• General Member
« Reply #99 on: Thursday 31 December 2009, 01:21:30 PM »

I love Carr and Gervais for that kind of stuff.

Gervais without a doubt, Jimmy Carr is an unfunny tosser.