Author Topic: Rafa Benítez  (Read 1005305 times)

Offline neesy111

• General Member
Re: Rafa Benítez
« Reply #18575 on: Saturday 22 February 2020, 04:43:41 PM »
Bobby to Souness was an outrageous downgrade. At least that was a legitimate football decision though, rather than whatever the Bruce appointment was.

Was the legit football decision to get a disciplinarian in? Because all it did was become chaotic and break up the Bobby team. When Liverpool went to Rafa, Chelsea sacked Raineri and went to Jose Mourinho and a few months later we turned to Souness and I don't think we ever recovered.

Because that to me, hiring of Souness, never felt like a sound football decision and more like a completely odd one given the previous hires were Keegan, Dalglish, Gullit. I think as nutty as Gullit as he was sacked in Feb 98 when Chelsea were 2nd or 3rd in the league. When SBR was sacked Freddie went for Souness...a man with 1 decent finish with Blackburn 2 season prior and after that not much to write about other than earlier in his career.

Genuinely asking. Because after Souness it was Roeder and Fat Sam then MA bought us.

In any case, I always felt FS had a plan and was trying to be successful, despite the criticism he gets for "getting rich" off the club, he still at the end of the day was a fan and wanted the club to succeed - even in his own way. So not trying to split hairs here. So do agree with you in the main....Shearere

I always got the feeling that Shearer might have been a big factor in Souness getting the job. Neither Gullitt or Robson treated him as untouchable, and as soon as Souness landed, he made it clear that Shearer was his main man. Bellamy and Kluivert were pretty quickly downgraded in comparison. Freddie Shepherd was also in thrall to Shearer, pretty sure he was lauding him as a future Newcastle manager at some point.

Shearer was in the interview room for the job according to Allardyce.  Shearer and Souness also worked together for Sky on their CL coverage the season before.

Offline chopey

• General Member
« Reply #18576 on: Saturday 22 February 2020, 05:21:01 PM »
So every one of Bruce's signings have been worse than Rafa's budget buys, imagine what would happen if Rafa was given one of Ashleys dingbat manager budgets
Mike Ashley stole my 30's

Offline Sima

• General Member
« Reply #18577 on: Saturday 22 February 2020, 05:27:14 PM »
So every one of Bruce's signings have been worse than Rafa's budget buys, imagine what would happen if Rafa was given one of Ashleys dingbat manager budgets

Not sure about including ASM in that tbf but the rest...

Offline chopey

• General Member
« Reply #18578 on: Saturday 22 February 2020, 05:30:37 PM »

Perez was better
Mike Ashley stole my 30's

Offline Sima

• General Member
« Reply #18579 on: Saturday 22 February 2020, 05:35:57 PM »

Perez was better

Rafa didn't buy Perez though?

Offline Tiresias

• General Member
  • #TeamBenArfa
« Reply #18580 on: Saturday 22 February 2020, 05:43:50 PM »
As if Bruce would ever have played Perez anyway, would have sold him for peanuts if he'd been in charge last few seasons
Just waiting for the glasses to go in the pocket