Author Topic: Players wages  (Read 6208 times)

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
Re: Players wages
« Reply #175 on: Tuesday 7 April 2020, 01:13:57 PM »
I see the Footballers argument, even if it just an intelligent piece of PR.

What's the highest marginal tax rate in the UK - 45%? A fair compromise to me sounds like that if the players should agree to a pay cut, 45% of every dollar saved by the clubs on wages goes to recognised relief efforts and the clubs also promise to not stand down the minions working in the front lines and back offices.

Why apply that to footballers and not say companies where the execs get paid millions each year?

Why trust one drug and not the other?

That's politics, innit.

Offline Pandamninator

• General Member
« Reply #176 on: Tuesday 7 April 2020, 01:39:23 PM »

What's the highest marginal tax rate in the UK - 45%? A fair compromise to me sounds like that if the players should agree to a pay cut, 45% of every dollar saved by the clubs on wages goes to recognised relief efforts and the clubs also promise to not stand down the minions working in the front lines and back offices.

Why apply that to footballers and not say companies where the execs get paid millions each year?

Because we're on a Football forum in a thread talking about football players?

Also many CEOs and boards have already reduced or stopped taking their salaries.
"But Italian football can defy the laws of physics; only here does a small pull backwards on the shirt send a grown man tumbling forwards"

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #177 on: Tuesday 7 April 2020, 11:01:46 PM »
Sorry didn't mean you specifically was meant generally.
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #178 on: Tuesday 7 April 2020, 11:16:43 PM »

Also many CEOs and boards have already reduced or stopped taking their salaries.
Many footballers may have given money to help, the point is making them. See what happens if CEOs etc HAVE to forego some of their salary if they want to or not.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline Pandamninator

• General Member
« Reply #179 on: Wednesday 8 April 2020, 12:56:57 AM »

Many footballers may have given money to help, the point is making them. See what happens if CEOs etc HAVE to forego some of their salary if they want to or not.

The CEOs didn't need to as such, they all did it proactively - it was a PR thing so they avoid the sticky situation the players association now finds themselves in with an ugly, awkward public stand off.  I know both the Qantas CEO and Qantas Loyalty CEO where I work aren't getting paid and have made their various donations still.

I'm not saying force the players either, especially with who generally owns these clubs and how they have behaved re: standing down ordinary staff - but there is a middle ground to be reached where they can help the club, the football pyramid and in their own way contribute financially to the fight, but not just give up money for the sake of it so Mike Ashley and Levy/his tax dodging backers can trouser it which will be the outcome if the "Put them all on minimum wage lol" crowd get their way. 
"But Italian football can defy the laws of physics; only here does a small pull backwards on the shirt send a grown man tumbling forwards"

Online joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #180 on: Wednesday 8 April 2020, 09:23:42 PM »
#playerstogether

Offline jdckelly

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #181 on: Thursday 9 April 2020, 10:51:10 AM »
Southampton players (and coaching staff and directors) deferring part of their wages for April May and June

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #182 on: Thursday 9 April 2020, 01:47:58 PM »
I really struggle to imagine too many players complaining about an enforced pay cut.

Offline geordie_b

• General Member
  • Gateshead, UK
« Reply #183 on: Thursday 9 April 2020, 02:09:55 PM »
I really struggle to imagine too many players complaining about an enforced pay cut.

Matty Longstaff

Paid 'peanuts', no performance bonuses, no new contract etc etc

Not every premier league player is earning massive money (albeit most are)

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #184 on: Thursday 9 April 2020, 04:22:58 PM »

Matty Longstaff

I believe Matty earns little enough to qualify for the govt's £2500 cap.

Offline Kanji

• PGA
  • General Member
« Reply #185 on: Thursday 9 April 2020, 04:24:52 PM »
can only assume sean takes care of matty for now
N U F C

Offline geordie_b

• General Member
  • Gateshead, UK
« Reply #186 on: Thursday 9 April 2020, 05:20:18 PM »

Matty Longstaff

I believe Matty earns little enough to qualify for the govt's £2500 cap.

But he hasnt been furloughed and is being pressurised to hand over part of his salary

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #187 on: Thursday 9 April 2020, 08:17:23 PM »
It's like footballers are a different species. It's okay that unemployment is rising faster than ever, because these creatures can go straight back to their shitty £7.50 p/h jobs, once it's all over. But dare to suggest that somebody on a couple of hundred grand a week, goes without for a while and you're inhumane.