Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 53620 times)

Offline Neil

• General Member
  • The stretched twig of peace is at melting point
Re: The 'Doctor Who' thread
« Reply #50 on: Friday 1 January 2010, 09:12:04 pm »
I think the production team pretty much perfectly wrapped up the RTD/Tennant era - especially loved the bits at the end of him saying goodbye to the ones he held dearest, with various acts of selflessness.
But at the same time, I'm looking forward to Smith's portrayal, and refreshing new adventures (hopefully).
Aye. Agree that it was all ended very well.
I just feel a bit sorry for Matt Smith because it felt like it was the end of the actual programme and not just David Tennants stint as The Doctor. Feels like there could be a lot of pressure on him. Hope he carries it off ok.

He's got an incredibly tough act to follow, I mean I can't speak for the older series, but Tennant as the Doctor just felt and still feels natural. Good luck to him, I hugely anticipate the new series regardless.

Thomas the Tank Engine is a f***ing c***.

Offline JH

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #51 on: Friday 1 January 2010, 09:17:16 pm »
It's all too modern and new for my liking. He's gonna be like the Russell Brand of the Doctors.

And I can't f***ing stand Russell Brand.

The farewell was immense. Especially loved scenes with Bernard Cribbins and the Doctor. Fitting that in the end, his death was to save an old man's life.

Offline Robster

• in a lorry
  • General Member
« Reply #52 on: Friday 1 January 2010, 09:18:34 pm »
He's got an incredibly tough act to follow, I mean I can't speak for the older series, but Tennant as the Doctor just felt and still feels natural. Good luck to him, I hugely anticipate the new series regardless.
:nods:
I am looking forward to it. My wife however is not. She is in absolute tears because David Tennant has gone. She is in love with him.
" Managers matter, but our manager is desperate for you, and his boss, to believe that they don’t. "
sackpardew.com

Offline Keefaz

• General Member
« Reply #53 on: Friday 1 January 2010, 09:19:41 pm »
It was f***ing rubbish, man. What's wrong with you people? A collection of SF rip-offs and cliches loosely stitched together with cheese string.

Offline Robster

• in a lorry
  • General Member
« Reply #54 on: Friday 1 January 2010, 09:20:07 pm »
The farewell was immense. Especially loved scenes with Bernard Cribbins and the Doctor. Fitting that in the end, his death was to save an old man's life.
Bernard Cribbins played a really good part. I liked that he had such a major role to play in the end.
" Managers matter, but our manager is desperate for you, and his boss, to believe that they don’t. "
sackpardew.com

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #55 on: Friday 1 January 2010, 09:21:44 pm »
It was f***ing rubbish, man. What's wrong with you people? A collection of SF rip-offs and cliches loosely stitched together with cheese string.

:lol:  I completely agree mind, I just don't get it at all.

Offline GeordieMessiah

• Forum Colossus
  • General Member
« Reply #56 on: Friday 1 January 2010, 09:21:51 pm »

It was alright, tbh. You just have to p*ss on everyone's fire all the time, don't you? What is wrong with you Keefaz? :gm:
Whether it's God or the bomb
It's just the same
It's only fear under another name
And the corporate snakes coming in to feed
On that pathetic fact known as human greed
Skin and bone being raked over those hot coals
This dump never seems to give time for human soul

Haris Vuckic

« Reply #57 on: Friday 1 January 2010, 09:23:34 pm »
Bernard Cribbins played a really good part. I liked that he had such a major role to play in the end.

81 years old!

Offline LBW

• TPFKA lankybellwipe
  • General Member
« Reply #58 on: Friday 1 January 2010, 09:24:37 pm »

81 years old!

Fawlty Towers!!   :smitten:
"You're giving ME the 'it's naat you it's me' routine? If it's anybaady, it's ME!!"
"Ok George, it's YOU!"
"You're DAMN RIGHT IT'S ME!"

Offline The Prophet

• General Member
« Reply #59 on: Friday 1 January 2010, 09:25:02 pm »

Dr. Who is frequently s*** and Tennant usually over-acts his parts so can't imagine it was any good.
It's basically what gives us the upper hand even in times of crisis. "Cannit wait man, we're gonna batter them, hope it's 4 or 5 nil, fancy such and such for a hat trick, we're going got Europe, they're a yo-yo team" Then five minutes into the game "s***, why haven't we scored? They've had a shot! Why aren't we all over them? How come there are two teams in the game? f***, what if we don't win? f***s SAKE CLEAR IT SHOOT TACKLE HIM BOO! What if we lose, PANIC PANIC BRUCE MAN WHAT ARE YOU DOING WHY DID HE MISS THAT SHOT, IS HE A MAG?! IT'S BECAUSE BRUCE IS A MAG! f*** OFF STEWARD ARE YOU A f***ing MAG? BET ALL THESE COPPERS ARE MAGS, AND THE MEDIA! THE REF'S A f***ing MAG! AM I A MAG?! Wait, blacked out for a second there. Ah, f***, we've lost again."

Offline indi

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
« Reply #60 on: Friday 1 January 2010, 09:25:35 pm »
That was f***ing s***. A cheap and tacky ending to a what ended up as a cheap and tacky series. I know let's continually keep harking back to things we've done all the time, aren't we f***ing great! I've never seen a such a self-referential load of old bollocks.

Offline Robster

• in a lorry
  • General Member
« Reply #61 on: Friday 1 January 2010, 09:26:45 pm »
Ah its just light hearted entertainment man. Its fine if you dont take it seriously at all.
sackpardew.com

Offline Robster

• in a lorry
  • General Member
« Reply #62 on: Friday 1 January 2010, 09:27:42 pm »
That was f***ing s***. A cheap and tacky ending to a what ended up as a cheap and tacky series. I know let's continually keep harking back to things we've done all the time, aren't we f***ing great! I've never seen a such a self-referential load of old bollocks.
Yet you sat through the whole series  :lol:
sackpardew.com

Offline indi

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
« Reply #63 on: Friday 1 January 2010, 09:30:24 pm »
Yet you sat through the whole series  :lol:

Nah, I only watched the odd one or two. I'm still a sucker for it, but the whole "Doctor Who's back!" novelty wore off a while ago for me, now I need it to just be good, I hoped this one might be, it wasn't.

Offline Keefaz

• General Member
« Reply #64 on: Friday 1 January 2010, 09:31:51 pm »
Ah its just light hearted entertainment man. Its fine if you dont take it seriously at all.

I appreciate that. Really it's just light entertainment for families and that. I just wish it was less cheesy and a bit more original. So lazy the way they steal ideas, scenes, sets, etc. from other shows and films. And the new Doctor looks prize f***ing tit. "GEROMINOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Get out.

Offline Robster

• in a lorry
  • General Member
« Reply #65 on: Friday 1 January 2010, 09:33:34 pm »
Nah, I only watched the odd one or two. I'm still a sucker for it, but the whole "Doctor Who's back!" novelty wore off a while ago for me, now I need it to just be good, I hoped this one might be, it wasn't.
I never have high hopes really. Its the BBC so I just enjoy it for what it is. I am not a massive fan of Sci-Fi so I dont expect it to be of any exceptional quality.
I mainly enjoyed it for Tennants acting if the truth be known.
sackpardew.com

Offline indi

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
« Reply #66 on: Friday 1 January 2010, 09:39:31 pm »
It's sad that there's so much quality sci-fi tv being produced in the states and yet that is the best we can offer. It's so low-rent and parochial, it's just cheap & cheerful and amateurish in almost every way. It's the antithesis of slick, there's so little thought put into making it plausible and good sci-fi has to have something vaguely believable about it at least.

Offline ChezGiven

• General Member
« Reply #67 on: Friday 1 January 2010, 09:43:08 pm »
It's sad that there's so much quality sci-fi tv being produced in the states and yet that is the best we can offer. It's so low-rent and parochial, it's just cheap & cheerful and amateurish in almost every way. It's the antithesis of slick, there's so little thought put into making it plausible and good sci-fi has to have something vaguely believable about it at least.
The engine thing in the middle of the tardis still wobbles like the early model versions years ago. I think thats the point, it wouldnt be Dr Who if it was all slick and american.

Offline ikri

• General Member
« Reply #68 on: Friday 1 January 2010, 09:48:56 pm »
There was a decent story in there somewhere, but Russell T Davies isn't a very good writer so it was a bit of a muddled episode.

Hopefully the change of producer to Steven Moffat (who wrote all the good episodes of the last 4 series) will see the show pick up a little.

Offline Keefaz

• General Member
« Reply #69 on: Friday 1 January 2010, 09:54:29 pm »
There was a decent story in there somewhere, but Russell T Davies isn't a very good writer so it was a bit of a muddled episode.

Hopefully the change of producer to Steven Moffat (who wrote all the good episodes of the last 4 series) will see the show pick up a little.

Howay, he wrote Chucklevision, ffs.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #70 on: Friday 1 January 2010, 09:56:05 pm »
i'm lost withthe interest in this, dr who is like harry potter, it's for kids but it's adults that end up being interested in it.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline indi

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Death to David Pleat.
« Reply #71 on: Friday 1 January 2010, 09:57:28 pm »
The engine thing in the middle of the tardis still wobbles like the early model versions years ago. I think thats the point, it wouldnt be Dr Who if it was all slick and american.

I don't mind that, but whereas it used to be like that because it had to be and that was quaint and added character, now it's deliberately like that and it's kitsch and therefore s***.

Lazlo

« Reply #72 on: Friday 1 January 2010, 09:59:02 pm »

I noticed that, it nearly didn't mesh together in one part and got a massive wobble on,quite funny.

Quite enjoyed the mos eisley cantina meets the blue oyster bar part. Lol what tripe.

Offline ChezGiven

• General Member
« Reply #73 on: Friday 1 January 2010, 09:59:46 pm »

I don't mind that, but whereas it used to be like that because it had to be and that was quaint and added character, now it's deliberately like that and it's kitsch and therefore s***.

:lol: Oh aye, its s***. I know its s***. Still watch the f***er though.

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy User of Shoes
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #74 on: Friday 1 January 2010, 10:38:31 pm »
It was a good episode compared to others, but I dare anyone to name a SiFi show that isn't s***, and Dr Who to me is a still cheesy at times, but still very watchable, if you don't take it serious, anyway it's better then watching crap like corrie.

It was a very fitting end when he basically said good bye, hopefully this will mean that charactors will stop coming in and out of the show all of the time.

I'm watching the next series though, that redhead bird is f***ing fit, and hopefully she'll use her sexy Scottish accent aswell, man it will just be a big massive w*** fest that.