Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 53755 times)

Offline Robster

• in a lorry
  • General Member
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #1425 on: Sunday 4 November 2018, 07:57:05 pm »
Aye I thought that was good. Kept the quality up.
" Managers matter, but our manager is desperate for you, and his boss, to believe that they don’t. "
sackpardew.com

Offline Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
« Reply #1426 on: Sunday 4 November 2018, 07:57:45 pm »
I enjoyed it :lol:

Bearings Straight!

Offline ikri

• General Member
« Reply #1427 on: Sunday 4 November 2018, 07:59:35 pm »
Really enjoying the music in the new series, gives a serious John Carpenter vibe.  You could easily swap in the soundtrack from Prince of Darkness and not notice.

Offline Si

• General Member
« Reply #1428 on: Monday 12 November 2018, 12:13:26 am »
Enjoyed that again, like what they are doing with the historical episodes.
Bearings Straight!

Offline Robster

• in a lorry
  • General Member
« Reply #1429 on: Monday 12 November 2018, 10:22:35 pm »
Enjoyed that again, like what they are doing with the historical episodes.
Both my wife and the guy I work with are disappointed with the series. They want big story lines where the Doctor defeats the evil enemy to save the universe from total destruction They want the big speeches from the Doctor like Tennant and Smith.

Personally, I've been loving this series. I like the different feel to the series and I think Jodie Whittaker has been fantastic.
" Managers matter, but our manager is desperate for you, and his boss, to believe that they don’t. "
sackpardew.com

Offline Si

• General Member
« Reply #1430 on: Tuesday 13 November 2018, 12:24:11 am »
I got a bit fed up with the speeches. They have their place but became a crutch. I like how each episode reveals a bit more about the companions, Bradley Walsh has been a very pleasant surprise. I like the dynamic between Doc and companions.
Bearings Straight!

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #1431 on: Tuesday 13 November 2018, 07:50:13 am »
I got a bit fed up with the speeches. They have their place but became a crutch. I like how each episode reveals a bit more about the companions, Bradley Walsh has been a very pleasant surprise. I like the dynamic between Doc and companions.
Surprisingly, he's the best actor I've seen on that show since Billie Piper.
High praise.

Offline GeordieMessiah

• Forum Colossus
  • General Member
« Reply #1432 on: Tuesday 13 November 2018, 07:56:17 am »
Surprisingly, he's the best actor I've seen on that show since Billie Piper.

:lol: Considering the cast list since then, I think that's horseshit.
Whether it's God or the bomb
It's just the same
It's only fear under another name
And the corporate snakes coming in to feed
On that pathetic fact known as human greed
Skin and bone being raked over those hot coals
This dump never seems to give time for human soul

Offline Robster

• in a lorry
  • General Member
« Reply #1433 on: Sunday 18 November 2018, 09:03:34 pm »
Another cracking episode tonight.
Great name check for Sports Direct as Ryan's previous employer that made him wear security tags :lol:
Was really hoping that the villain was going to be a fat monster.
sackpardew.com

Offline Toon Hoser

• General Member
« Reply #1434 on: Monday 26 November 2018, 08:12:56 pm »
Really liked The Witchfinders.

Was hoping it would be a true historical, but the folk horror epic that unfolded was amazing.  King James was camp as hell.  :lol:

Offline Si

• General Member
« Reply #1435 on: Monday 26 November 2018, 11:42:25 pm »
I wasn't feeling it this week. Need to rewatch it again I think.
Bearings Straight!

Offline Toon Hoser

• General Member
« Reply #1436 on: Monday 3 December 2018, 04:54:59 pm »
That frog, man.   :undecided:

Offline Cf

• General Member
« Reply #1437 on: Monday 3 December 2018, 07:18:31 pm »
That episode summed up this series for me. It felt like all of the ingredients of a great episode were there but something was just lacking.

I think part of this is trying to fit everything into a 50 minute episode. There was more than enough material here to flesh this out a bit more.

And whilst the performances are good I really struggle to care about any of the characters. Except for Graham - Bradley Walsh is smashing this. If Yaz and Ryan were to disappear I'd likely not notice. Some of the side characters are good fun but you only get one episode out of them.

Even the Doctor - whilst I like her performance if you asked me to define her character I'm not sure I could answer with anything other than a bit of Tennant and Smith.

I've enjoyed it well enough overall but it's all been a bit forgettable. I don't think any episode would get anywhere near a top 10 list.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #1438 on: Monday 3 December 2018, 09:00:50 pm »
I thought the same - Graham is the only companion I care about, the other two just seem boring and along for the ride.  Whittaker is good, but wasted on these stories.  It really lacks some sort of overarching plot/theme running through the series.

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy User of Shoes
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #1439 on: Tuesday 4 December 2018, 12:40:25 am »
The actor who plays Ryan is crap, just nothing there.
The first episode hinted at Yaz and Ryan hooking up, but now they just have no interest in each other at all, barely even friends.
A lot of Dr Who episodes in the past hinted at something coming up towards the end, yet aside from the same aliens in episodes 1-2 there hasn’t been any storyline to suggest something serious is about to happen.

I really liked the Rosa Parks episode, and think they did it well. With the India episode though I just felt like they tried to turn it into a documentary about the partition of India more than a Dr Who show. I don’t mind the bits of historical or fascinating facts coming into the show, but this season they have tried to show-horn it in over everything else instead of making it a fleeting bit of the story.

I have never had a sense of danger either. We know the Dr won’t die because she’s just regenerated, if Uaz or Ryan dies then it’s no loss as they arn’t characters who I think are developing, if Graham died then I think we could gain a better companion, and above all else, they haven’t really seemed to be in that much danger compared to seasons gone by.