Author Topic: The Job Thread  (Read 339697 times)

Online Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
Re: The Job Thread
« Reply #9025 on: Sunday 26 January 2020, 08:38:08 AM »
You need to start gathering any evidence you have, and start putting together a timeline of what they have put you through. If things go bad you can take them to a tribunal, I'd try and get some advice is there a Union that covers your kind if work you can speak to? Or someone like citizens advice that could out you in touch with someone. Make notes, get as much together as you can and at all points in the process remain calm. They will want you to get emotional and quit or give them something to stick on you. Not sure what exactly they are putting you through but the more you can organise now the better. Fight and fight hard but you need to be as calm and methodical as possible, assemble your thoughts on what you have done for them over the years with as many facts and figures as possible.

Good luck mate, keep ranting away as much as you need to.
Bearings Straight!

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #9026 on: Sunday 26 January 2020, 09:19:14 AM »
Newsted it really feels like you're not giving the full rundown on this situation somehow.

Why are they so intent on getting rid of you? The way you describe it you seem to be saying it's just because they want to exercise their power or something, but that doesn't make sense.

Are you on a legacy contract and they want to cut the cost? Did you fall out with one of them? Are you actually incompetent (wink)?

Has to be something behind it surely.
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #9027 on: Sunday 26 January 2020, 12:05:41 PM »
As far as putting together a timeline, reviewing this thread might not be the worst place to start :lol:.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Offline newsted

• General Member
  • Newcastle upon Tyne, EU
« Reply #9028 on: Sunday 26 January 2020, 07:08:47 PM »
Newsted it really feels like you're not giving the full rundown on this situation somehow.

Why are they so intent on getting rid of you? The way you describe it you seem to be saying it's just because they want to exercise their power or something, but that doesn't make sense.

Are you on a legacy contract and they want to cut the cost? Did you fall out with one of them? Are you actually incompetent (wink)?

Has to be something behind it surely.

Yeah, I haven't given the full story because it would be too tedious tbh. I just spew it out when I can't hold it in and need to vent.

It pretty much is that they do it to prove to themselves that they can, unbelievably. These are old school tie public schoolboys and I have never fitted their picture. It literally doesn't make any sense which is why I have always struggled to work out what the f*** they are doing.

As petty as it is, the history is that in 1989 the then chairman gave me the job of assistant to one of the directors because I was cheap, and said director had promised his mate that his son would get it. (May have been some masonry involvement!) So that bloke hated my very existence before he even met me, and has relentlessly continued his campaign ever since. Everybody just assumes if he says I'm useless, well, he would know. It just becomes reality.

:lol: It's quite a useful way to tell if my colleagues have their critical faculties switched on, as if they don't just accept the company line and realise I am not crap, then they pass as human. No I am not incompetent, you t***. ;)

They have probably got hundreds of man-hours logged where they discuss me, as incredible as that is, so anything I put together would be worthless, I'm just hanging on for my pension and to pay off the mortgage. They've successfully drained any enjoyment out of the job, the exact opposite of what they should have done, but just what they wanted to do. Oh, you know that director who has always hated me? He's the one who gives me D grades in my appraisals now, which is why they've refused to certify me as competent, taken my adviser status away and taken all my clients off me. He'll be f***ing purring.

tl;dr
:) As you were.

Offline newsted

• General Member
« Reply #9029 on: Thursday 30 January 2020, 11:25:01 PM »
You need to start gathering any evidence you have, and start putting together a timeline of what they have put you through. If things go bad you can take them to a tribunal, I'd try and get some advice is there a Union that covers your kind if work you can speak to? Or someone like citizens advice that could out you in touch with someone. Make notes, get as much together as you can and at all points in the process remain calm. They will want you to get emotional and quit or give them something to stick on you. Not sure what exactly they are putting you through but the more you can organise now the better. Fight and fight hard but you need to be as calm and methodical as possible, assemble your thoughts on what you have done for them over the years with as many facts and figures as possible.

Good luck mate, keep ranting away as much as you need to.

Ah, sorry, man, didn't answer you. Was a bit preoccupied :lol: Yeah, I know they want me to get emotional and flounce, but that just shows they don't know me at all. I don't really have your human feelings, when I was called to that meeting I told that boss (I have many) that I was putting my glasses on so I could look him in the eyes as he pulled the trigger. I think he must have had some wiggle room because he didn't in the end. I'm on probation again until the end of the year. After 30 years with no client complaints. FML.

Unions and tribunals ain't gonna happen, they've got this all stacked in their favour. Thanks for your concern tho, love you mate. That's one emotion I do have :lol:

Offline leffe186

• General Member
  • Akron, Ohio
« Reply #9030 on: Thursday 30 January 2020, 11:39:11 PM »
What are the conditions of the probation? I mean, they have to be explicit about what conduct would cause you to fail.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Offline newsted

• General Member
« Reply #9031 on: Saturday 1 February 2020, 01:22:09 AM »
What are the conditions of the probation? I mean, they have to be explicit about what conduct would cause you to fail.

No, they don't, apparently.

(opens letter given at 5pm tonight for maximum weekend fury)

They're putting me on a "performance management programme". With added threats of future verbal and written warnings and termination. :lol: Super. Standard letter with the blanks filled in like HR will do.

One thing is that it all comes down to what they decide, it makes no difference what I do, so it's out of my control. They can say "Nah, you're still s***, f*** off", or more likely my immediate manager will say he's improved my performance so he can claim some credit. They love a bit of willy-waving at their meetings. Like I can't see through their transparent bollocks.

I'll still do the same thing at work but with added mistrust in the management. :lol:  Didn't think there was room for that. Anyway, thanks for noticing @leffe186 -I'll either have a job and a house in 6 months or I won't. I'll stop whining now. Ciao.

Offline Ginola

• General Member
  • David... Arbeit!
« Reply #9032 on: Saturday 1 February 2020, 01:25:52 AM »
If this has been going on for 30+ years why wouldn't either you or they have already done something about this situation?

Offline newsted

• General Member
« Reply #9033 on: Saturday 1 February 2020, 01:34:34 AM »
If this has been going on for 30+ years why wouldn't either you or they have already done something about this situation?

They're w*****s and I want my pension and my mortgage paid off. :lol: I'm a sitting target for them, a lightning conductor, if you will, if I'm getting it then my team aren't, so I take it. They have this hatred for lower class people with assumed Catholic tendencies, so that's me, apparently.

f*** it, I don't care. :lol: I might shortly, like.

Offline Ginola

• General Member
  • David... Arbeit!
« Reply #9034 on: Saturday 1 February 2020, 01:36:37 AM »
I would've been long gone if that had been going on for so long towards me, like. Fair play to you for sticking it out, hope it works out for you

Offline newsted

• General Member
« Reply #9035 on: Saturday 1 February 2020, 01:42:01 AM »
Also, I'm very good at my job and they must know it otherwise I wouldn't still be there. They must be just f***ing with me to find out where my limits are. I don't know either and neither do my friends or family. This might be an interesting journey. Or I might get sacked and made homeless. Still interesting, like. I refer you to my comments about few human feelings. "Fascinating, captain".

Offline Fatwax

• General Member
  • NSFW
« Reply #9036 on: Sunday 2 February 2020, 04:05:31 PM »
Interesting turn of events for me.

Long story short, I think I have a new job, starting in September. After a string of interviews they’re sending out a contract later this week... but at no point have they actually offered me a job. :lol: Should I assume I’ve got it? Are they handing out multiple contracts and then making a decision? I know that there is definitely only one position available.

I almost feel daft considering asking them for clarification. :lol:
A light has gone out.

Offline newsted

• General Member
« Reply #9037 on: Sunday 2 February 2020, 04:25:05 PM »
If they're sending out a legal contract I think you've got it, mate. I would clarify, but obvs I'm the last person you should ask about job security :lol:

Offline Fatwax

• General Member
  • NSFW
« Reply #9038 on: Sunday 2 February 2020, 04:27:46 PM »
If they're sending out a legal contract I think you've got it, mate. I would clarify, but obvs I'm the last person you should ask about job security :lol:

What muddies the waters a bit is that it isn’t UK-based, its in Abu Dhabi.

Keep your chin up, if you have any evidence to support your side of things I’d start compiling. Also I realise its difficult but try to approach things with as little emotion as possible and apply logic to what appears to be something of an illogical situation.
A light has gone out.

Offline newsted

• General Member
« Reply #9039 on: Sunday 2 February 2020, 05:09:48 PM »

What muddies the waters a bit is that it isn’t UK-based, it's in Abu Dhabi.

Ah, right, I have nothing to contribute in that case, soz.

Abu Dhabi would give me human rights concerns, but it's your life, do your thing. Good luck.

Please, nobody worry about me, I can deal with this, I manage my managers, I always have. They're taking a step back - it's more that we've been taken over by a big corporation and they have to fill in forms now. It's such a f***ing pain in the arse, though. :lol:

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #9040 on: Sunday 2 February 2020, 05:39:20 PM »
Sounds like you work in the actual movie Knives Out newsted :lol:
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline newsted

• General Member
« Reply #9041 on: Sunday 2 February 2020, 09:13:31 PM »
Sounds like you work in the actual movie Knives Out newsted :lol:

:lol: :lol: The movie's far more likely to happen.

Offline Jill

• Don't really care what.
  • General Member
« Reply #9042 on: Thursday 6 February 2020, 09:29:49 PM »
I had a successful phone interview today, waiting on an email about the face to face interview. I wasn't sure about the job when I applied but I really want it now.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Sacramento, California
« Reply #9043 on: Saturday 8 February 2020, 06:49:11 PM »
I've only done academic CVs in the past, which are really long and detailed.  Anyone know any decent resources for making a normal CV?  I'm really struggling to cut it down.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #9044 on: Saturday 8 February 2020, 06:59:57 PM »
I've only done academic CVs in the past, which are really long and detailed.  Anyone know any decent resources for making a normal CV?  I'm really struggling to cut it down.

I could send you mine for an example?

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Sacramento, California
« Reply #9045 on: Saturday 8 February 2020, 07:07:35 PM »
:thup: Cheers nees.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #9046 on: Saturday 8 February 2020, 08:33:08 PM »
:thup: Cheers nees.

Will PM a link to it.  Obviously I work in software development, but hopefully it gives you a few pointers/ideas.

Offline reefatoon

• General Member
« Reply #9047 on: Monday 10 February 2020, 04:11:58 PM »
Well, bit of a turnaround here. After being told I / my team are being made redundant a couple of weeks ago, I then found out they were desperate to keep me on in one of the new roles in Manchester. Managed to negotiate a travel plan that works for me and them, so just had the interview and been told I have the job. 2 weeks of nightmare but it’s  ended well, thank god for that.

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #9048 on: Monday 10 February 2020, 04:16:57 PM »
Congrats! Bet you're glad you didn't go nuclear now? :lol:
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #9049 on: Monday 10 February 2020, 04:18:07 PM »
This really should be a TV show.