Author Topic: The Job Thread  (Read 328381 times)

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
Re: The Job Thread
« Reply #8875 on: Tuesday 10 September 2019, 05:23:51 pm »
:thup: Looks really interesting, thanks.  Will look into it.

Any other suggestions welcome too, whether they be specific job boards or whatever.

Edit - actually seems to be info about job boards on that subreddit, nice one.

Offline Greg

• General Member
« Reply #8876 on: Tuesday 10 September 2019, 06:44:39 pm »
Any websites / general tips for jobs that you can do remotely and it doesn't matter which country you're in?

I want to move to Taiwan next year but as it's not an English-speaking country it feels like the only option is teaching English as a foreign language.  I might be open to that but as I've worked my way up fairly far in data marketing over 11 years the ideal scenario would be to do something like that from home tbh, at least for a while to start with anyway.  But any on-site jobs in that field in Taiwan will probably want me to speak Mandarin.

I could easily do what I do now from home IMO but current employer is unfortunately not open to it and I feel like what I'm looking for isn't really searchable online so I'm on the verge of totally discounting it even though I suspect there will be jobs out there that fit the bill.

Any help appreciated, thank you.

Find an agent - you'll have to pay them though.

Offline John P

• General Member
« Reply #8877 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 11:52:25 am »
Does anybody in here work in Physiotherapy? I have a PhD in medical research and have been working in research for almost 10 years now, but I'm really sick of it and considering doing a 2 year masters to qualify as a physio. I'm almost at the top of my current pay grade in research now, but the chance to progress further to fellowships etc is so difficult to obtain, and my heart really isn't in it any more to be honest. Physiotherapy looks to me like it would be a really rewarding job that would still use some medical knowledge and there seems to be good scope for career progression, either in the NHS or working privately. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on it?

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #8878 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 11:54:37 am »
I don't but I've used them plenty and they're amazing. Seems very interesting to master that knowledge of how the body works, and really beneficial to patients.

I thought I'd torn my knee or something, and the guy fixed it in a few minutes by activating other muscles.  It was like magic :lol:

Offline Pixelphish

• General Member
« Reply #8879 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 09:35:12 pm »
I go to physio for my busted L5/S1 disc. I've come a long way since I started almost to the point you can forget there was even a problem in the first place.  She's a wonderful woman who i'll be eternally grateful for.
Aye. Just felt I did it at the same time as you and you came out tops every time. Just in a bad mood now after Pixelhax.

Have to get this out now:

Pixel you're either hacking with the demo, or you're too f***ing good to constantly hammer us to the ground with it every time we play. Starts to take the p*ss a bit. I mean, I don't want you to not enjoy the game, but at the same time I'd quite like to enjoy playing it too.

Offline leffe186

• General Member
« Reply #8880 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 09:52:40 pm »
That's the honest answer. Nobody knows what will happen in the future. I would feel extremely uncomfortable saying 'yes' when I don't know that to be 100% true.

You don’t have to lie though, just have something prepared about how you coped with increased workload in the past. It might illustrate your prioritization skills, or your capability under deadline pressure, or delegation etc.
Obviously, I'm speaking of a hypothetical world in which there is a greater club than Tottenham.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #8881 on: Wednesday 11 September 2019, 09:55:33 pm »
Does anybody in here work in Physiotherapy? I have a PhD in medical research and have been working in research for almost 10 years now, but I'm really sick of it and considering doing a 2 year masters to qualify as a physio. I'm almost at the top of my current pay grade in research now, but the chance to progress further to fellowships etc is so difficult to obtain, and my heart really isn't in it any more to be honest. Physiotherapy looks to me like it would be a really rewarding job that would still use some medical knowledge and there seems to be good scope for career progression, either in the NHS or working privately. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on it?

One of my friends is recently qualified and it took them a little while to find a job. Pretty competitive field in some disciplines I think.

Offline John P

• General Member
« Reply #8882 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 10:02:50 am »

One of my friends is recently qualified and it took them a little while to find a job. Pretty competitive field in some disciplines I think.

Yeah I read somewhere that it can be quite competitive. The issue with my current job is that, to take the next step in my career, fellowships receive literally hundreds if not thousands of applications for each grant. I'm hoping physiotherapy isn't as bad as that. Good to know though, thanks.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #8883 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 10:08:33 am »

Yeah I read somewhere that it can be quite competitive. The issue with my current job is that, to take the next step in my career, fellowships receive literally hundreds if not thousands of applications for each grant. I'm hoping physiotherapy isn't as bad as that. Good to know though, thanks.

I think one of the main issues, IIRC, is that the NHS only hire (or look too) a couple of times a year. I'm sure if you speak to a Uni they'll be happy to advise further on things like this and which disciplines of physio are more demanded than others etc. She absolutely loves her job btw.

Offline John P

• General Member
« Reply #8884 on: Thursday 12 September 2019, 11:58:35 am »

I think one of the main issues, IIRC, is that the NHS only hire (or look too) a couple of times a year. I'm sure if you speak to a Uni they'll be happy to advise further on things like this and which disciplines of physio are more demanded than others etc. She absolutely loves her job btw.

That's good to hear! I've been trying to find the negative aspects of the job, and the main one seems to be dealing with patients who don't want to get better or do the exercises they need to. Also dealing with people who you know aren't going to get better is tough. The job satisfaction of helping and seeing people get better though seems to outweigh the negatives from what I've read.

Offline Tisd09

• General Member
« Reply #8885 on: Wednesday 18 September 2019, 08:51:14 am »
I'm completing an application for a Management Accountant role at the moment. I have to write a 750 word personal statement, I'm absolutely rubbish at writing about myself. I've made a start and it sounds like a jumbled mess. Anybody have any pointers I could use. I've searched on the Web and the advice is pretty generic. I've gone into panic mode now and just shut down over it. My last job I had was through a recruitment agency so it was just a case of submitting my CV.
"Now who ya gonna run to?"

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #8886 on: Wednesday 18 September 2019, 10:21:57 am »
Match it to the job spec if you have one.

Offline Tisd09

• General Member
« Reply #8887 on: Wednesday 18 September 2019, 10:34:21 am »
There is one which I'm trying to use. My issues are more to do with my inability to explain my skills/knowledge etc very well on paper. 🙈
"Now who ya gonna run to?"