Author Topic: The Job Thread  (Read 312760 times)

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
Re: The Job Thread
« Reply #8825 on: Friday 23 November 2018, 12:34:24 am »
Urghh man, had a really snotty email from the recruiter saying I'd faked one of my references after pulling out.  Had to delete it to ensure I don't reply to it.

Should've sent an official complaint to whoever their supervisor was tbh.

Offline Dr Venkman

• General Member
  • Alreet pet?
« Reply #8826 on: Friday 23 November 2018, 07:14:07 pm »
I believe there are a few project managers in here? Any advice on getting in to that sort of work? Is it worth it? Is it a total pain in the arse?

I'm an HE lecturer but looking for another avenue to explore.

Offline The College Dropout

• General Member
  • The Look Of Satisfaction
« Reply #8827 on: Wednesday 28 November 2018, 10:07:18 pm »
I believe there are a few project managers in here? Any advice on getting in to that sort of work? Is it worth it? Is it a total pain in the arse?

The market is booming. I would read books and take courses on Agile Software Delivery to be a Scrum Master. And I guess Prince2. But that's the best part of £4k if you're paying out of your own pocket.

In case anyone cared. I landed a new role towards the end of October. It's been boring as owt but it's £25k more than I was getting before so won't complain.

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Prontonise
« Reply #8828 on: Wednesday 28 November 2018, 10:45:10 pm »

The market is booming. I would read books and take courses on Agile Software Delivery to be a Scrum Master. And I guess Prince2. But that's the best part of £4k if you're paying out of your own pocket.

In case anyone cared. I landed a new role towards the end of October. It's been boring as owt but it's £25k more than I was getting before so won't complain.

Well done mate.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • plus d'argent, plus de problemes
« Reply #8829 on: Thursday 29 November 2018, 12:28:02 am »
Urghh man, had a really snotty email from the recruiter saying I'd faked one of my references after pulling out.  Had to delete it to ensure I don't reply to it.

Should've sent an official complaint to whoever their supervisor was tbh.

Definitely contact the company about that, ridiculous behaviour.

• General Member
« Reply #8830 on: Thursday 29 November 2018, 01:09:08 pm »

Well done mate.
Thanks Neesy.

Offline Dr Venkman

• General Member
  • Alreet pet?
« Reply #8831 on: Thursday 29 November 2018, 10:26:09 pm »

Mind me asking what you're doing? Can take to PM's if necessary.

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #8832 on: Wednesday 5 December 2018, 06:47:34 pm »
Whole dept got offered VR today, it’s taken them 3 months to get to this stage, no actual numbers or reorg structure. Tempted to go for it as I know these lot couldn’t organise a pissup in a brewery and know from the last reorg none of them are capable of making the correct decisions , it’ll be who you know as usual. Jobs for the boys.

Best bit it a known racist who hates the British is the one wielding the axe (and sending all the jobs to his home town in India) Shame I miss out on an 3xtra 5k by 5 months service. Probably will take it as I don’t kiss arse , say what I think and fight for what I believe is right, all 3 totally frowned upon if you want to get anywhere within the organisation and in my time here ruffled enough feathers to know I’m a pain in the arse I’m sure they’d happily see the back of. Feeling is mutual. Whole place is governed by politics, broken processes and self protection. I’d be massively shocked if brexit doesn’t finish it off for most if not the entire place.

Offline Gallowgate Toon

• General Member
« Reply #8833 on: Wednesday 5 December 2018, 06:56:54 pm »

I've been doing PM work for the last year. I pretty much fell into it so don't have any tactical advice for getting into the market. However, I'd say that if you need a level of mental stimulation that goes beyond organising and managing people (and stress) then don't bother. I just took a new role to get away from it because I find it mentally tedious. I've been PMing in a pretty technical field that requires a level of problem-solving too but that hasn't given me what I need.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • #votekaka2018
« Reply #8834 on: Wednesday 5 December 2018, 07:04:04 pm »
Whole dept got offered VR today, it’s taken them 3 months to get to this stage, no actual numbers or reorg structure. Tempted to go for it as I know these lot couldn’t organise a pissup in a brewery and know from the last reorg none of them are capable of making the correct decisions , it’ll be who you know as usual. Jobs for the boys.

Best bit it a known racist who hates the British is the one wielding the axe (and sending all the jobs to his home town in India) Shame I miss out on an 3xtra 5k by 5 months service. Probably will take it as I don’t kiss arse , say what I think and fight for what I believe is right, all 3 totally frowned upon if you want to get anywhere within the organisation and in my time here ruffled enough feathers to know I’m a pain in the arse I’m sure they’d happily see the back of. Feeling is mutual. Whole place is governed by politics, broken processes and self protection. I’d be massively shocked if brexit doesn’t finish it off for most if not the entire place.

Best of luck whichever you go mate.

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #8835 on: Wednesday 5 December 2018, 07:14:50 pm »

:thup: Sounds like you know what you want tbh, TT.

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #8836 on: Wednesday 5 December 2018, 07:41:34 pm »

:thup: Sounds like you know what you want tbh, TT.

Cheers, both.

Remember ages ago Keefaz giving up a high-pressured IT job for i think working in a music shop, or something he wanted to do. Thought he was mad at the time, couldn't think of anything better right now. Wonder if i could pick up a pub lease for £30k? 

Offline Dr Venkman

• General Member
  • Alreet pet?
« Reply #8837 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 06:37:38 pm »

I've been doing PM work for the last year. I pretty much fell into it so don't have any tactical advice for getting into the market. However, I'd say that if you need a level of mental stimulation that goes beyond organising and managing people (and stress) then don't bother. I just took a new role to get away from it because I find it mentally tedious. I've been PMing in a pretty technical field that requires a level of problem-solving too but that hasn't given me what I need.

Thanks for the guidance, mate, tallies neatly with my recent thoughts on it tbh after doing a bit of research.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #8838 on: Friday 7 December 2018, 10:03:41 am »
I was going to get into product management, but I haven't for the same reason. I liked the idea of being involved in all aspects of a project but I thought in practice it would mainly be admin and telling people they don't have long enough to do something.

• General Member
« Reply #8839 on: Monday 10 December 2018, 05:17:29 pm »
In Product Management there's definitely much more focus on the what and how rather than the when and how much.

As s Project Manager it will depend on the business. Previously, it's been 60% problem solving, 20% client management and the other 20% on other stuff.

In software, you find that a lot of developers/engineers are either extremely lazy or often lack common sense so there's a lot of hand holding as to what to do with people's day which can get annoying. A really good team you won't need to do so much of that.

Offline Klaus

• General Member
« Reply #8840 on: Yesterday at 02:55:35 pm »
Christmas Jumper day at work today  :icon_puke_r:

Office neds with far too much spare time, in other words.

Offline Bowie

• General Member
« Reply #8841 on: Yesterday at 03:09:28 pm »
:lol: Aye, some utter berk here claims to have f***ing 12 Christmas jumpers, man. He was wearing one this morning with a daschund in the snow on it so I naturally pretended I didn't understand the pun. He's had a costume change for the afternoon and is now wearing one featuring loads of flashing lights and stuff. When he came over desperate for attention I made sure to not even look at or acknowledge it.

Offline Bowie

• General Member
« Reply #8842 on: Yesterday at 03:12:35 pm »
I've worn this lad for the past few years:

Offline wormy

• General Member
« Reply #8843 on: Yesterday at 03:14:53 pm »
:lol: Aye, some utter berk here claims to have f***ing 12 Christmas jumpers, man. He was wearing one this morning with a daschund in the snow on it so I naturally pretended I didn't understand the pun. He's had a costume change for the afternoon and is now wearing one featuring loads of flashing lights and stuff. When he came over desperate for attention I made sure to not even look at or acknowledge it.

:lol: f***ing hell. Costume changes in the workplace should be a sackable offence iyam.

Made sure to wear the plainest block colour jumper I own today. Grey ftw.

Offline wormy

• General Member
« Reply #8844 on: Yesterday at 03:15:25 pm »
Although a Larry David Christmas jumper may persuade me otherwise next year...

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #8845 on: Yesterday at 03:27:36 pm »
Wasn't in the office for office Christmas jumper day. :shifty:

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Prontonise
« Reply #8846 on: Yesterday at 04:01:53 pm »
Onto last stage for job in Madrid. :frantic:

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #8847 on: Yesterday at 04:03:18 pm »
tres bien, neesy, tres bien

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #8848 on: Yesterday at 04:29:04 pm »
Madrid is absolutely brill.

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Prontonise
« Reply #8849 on: Yesterday at 04:31:01 pm »
Madrid is absolutely brill.

Yeap, main reason for applying was location.  Job is interesting as well.