Author Topic: The Job Thread  (Read 312759 times)

Offline Tooj

• General Member
Re: The Job Thread
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 15 October 2009, 03:27:09 pm »
Quick question for everyone. I am due to be officially made redundant on the 7th November. Yet they also have to pay me an extra week and a day in lieu which takes me to the 15th November. Yet I also have a new job to start and ideally want to start that on Monday 9th November. Would this mean that my week in lieu won't be paid? Or can I not start my job till the 16th November?

As it's a week in lieu they should pay you and not expect you to work, failing that just fain sickness due to stress and finish a week early  :snod:

I definitely won't be working as there's no role for me officially after the 7th November. Just don't know what the legal/tax implications would be if I started my new job on 9th November.
"Elsewhere, at worst, modern commercial football could be seen as the mall rather than the circus; insidiously bland, decaffeinated and pre-packed, its relentless formulaic repetition an instrument for disabling consciousness rather than manipulating it."

David Goldblatt

Offline PM

• General Member
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 15 October 2009, 05:00:16 pm »
Had an interview today in my latest desperate attempt to stop being a dolemonger.

Offline Tooj

• General Member
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 15 October 2009, 05:02:57 pm »
Had an interview today in my latest desperate attempt to stop being a dolemonger.

You sly b******. How did it go? And what was it for?
"Elsewhere, at worst, modern commercial football could be seen as the mall rather than the circus; insidiously bland, decaffeinated and pre-packed, its relentless formulaic repetition an instrument for disabling consciousness rather than manipulating it."

David Goldblatt

Offline PM

• General Member
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 15 October 2009, 05:05:55 pm »

Finance Graduate at a seafood company :lol: Seemed to go alright, fingers crossed.

Offline Tooj

• General Member
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 15 October 2009, 05:21:26 pm »

Finance Graduate at a seafood company :lol: Seemed to go alright, fingers crossed.

Nice one, hope you get it chap. That just means counting the pennies on the Fish Quay I presume?

David Goldblatt

Online Jill

• Don't really care what.
  • General Member
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 15 October 2009, 05:22:20 pm »
I know it's really obvious, but if you're looking for work PLEASE do all you can to make your CV good. I've been helping out with finding some new members for our teams and some of the CVs we've been getting in are utterly, utterly s***. I'm not normally involved in recruiting people so it's really surprised me how poor some of them have been.

Offline PM

• General Member
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 15 October 2009, 07:44:36 pm »

Nice one, hope you get it chap. That just means counting the pennies on the Fish Quay I presume?

Nah it's in the Costa del Seaham.

Offline Keefaz

• General Member
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 15 October 2009, 10:34:46 pm »
You job-hunting b******s. I want a piece of the employment pie, you f***ers. Just you watch.

Offline midds

• Administrator
  • In omnia Paratus
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 15 October 2009, 10:42:19 pm »

Glamorous.  :coolsmiley:

Where exactly?
The club comes first.

Heneage

« Reply #59 on: Thursday 15 October 2009, 10:47:21 pm »
Don't think it counts as a job but had a phone interview with sky over placement.

Offline PM

• General Member
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 15 October 2009, 10:49:45 pm »

Where exactly?

I say Seaham, it's down at the business park at Dawdon, Cumbrian Seafoods.

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 15 October 2009, 10:54:32 pm »
Don't think it counts as a job but had a phone interview with sky over placement.

I'd love to work for Sky.  Or ITV for that matter, even though I think they're s***.  Best of luck.

Offline midds

• Administrator
  • In omnia Paratus
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 15 October 2009, 10:56:46 pm »

Where exactly?

I say Seaham, it's down at the business park at Dawdon, Cumbrian Seafoods.

I know where you mean.  :thup:

Not the nicest neck of the woods like. I sent a really posh woman driving a Bentley to Dawdon the other week. Snooty bitch asked me the way to Seaham Hall so I promptly directed her to the bowels of Seaham.  :)
The club comes first.

Heneage

« Reply #63 on: Thursday 15 October 2009, 11:00:53 pm »

I'd love to work for Sky.  Or ITV for that matter, even though I think they're s***.  Best of luck.
Aye My Dad said the same about ITV, when I said I was starting work for Tyne Tees next Monday he simply replied 'Well that's your first job, get the schedules fixed.'

Offline PM

• General Member
« Reply #64 on: Friday 16 October 2009, 12:57:01 pm »

Through to a second interview :)

Offline Gash?

• General Member
  • If I'm dead, you've been dead for weeks.
« Reply #65 on: Friday 16 October 2009, 12:58:20 pm »

Through to a second interview :)
Got my fish fingers crossed for you!

Offline Leazes1986

• General Member
« Reply #66 on: Friday 16 October 2009, 05:26:18 pm »
Anyone really desperate for work should keep checking the McDonalds website. I've been there for a month now and its not half as bad as I thought. Obviously its s*** NMW and nobody wants to be known as working at McDonalds but it pays you a wage at the end of it and you can basically work as many hours as you want when you're trained. They give you plenty of time to settle in and your hours go up gradually (mine are up to 30 odd hours a week now). You do have to work some nights/weekends but with a typical shift being 8 hours long, 5 days a week and with a McDonalds day being just a few hours under 24 hours a day it means you get plenty of different shift patterns and they are very flexible. If you want a day off you are very likely to get it as long as you ask in advance, and you can even get people to swap and cover your shifts whenever you want if you have plans.

Depending on where you work if you are full time you don't even do many hours on a weekend with the part time students doing most of the weekend hours. It is a bit of an arse having to work week nights when you would rather do a normal 9-5 but it is a wage, the people who work there are generally canny and you can definitely have a good normal social life with the flexibility. Nobody wants to work there but if you're desperate then theres plenty of jobs available there. £200-300 in your pocket every  week is a lot better than £50 a week off the dole.

Alan Shearer:

404 games for Newcastle - 206 goals
63 Caps for England - 30 goals
733 career games - 379 goals
Newcastle's all time leading goalscorer
Ended his career by scoring against the scum in a 4-1 win
Turned Man United down, but lived the dream Alan Shearer=TRUE LEGEND

Offline Ash

• General Member
  • 27/08/16 - Immortality
« Reply #67 on: Friday 16 October 2009, 06:56:48 pm »
I have an interview at Lloyds TSB tomorrow for the role of Personal Banking Manager. Starting to get quite nervous about it now.

Good luck chap.

Cheers Tooj.

Think it went okay. They said they'll let me know by next Friday so fingers crossed!

Got a call earlier. They've asked me to go back in next week for a second interview and role-play. :)

Still not heard back from them. Come Monday, it will be two weeks since I had my role-play. :undecided:
Quote from: Hatem Ben Arfa
I have already played in Milan, Madrid and Barcelona but it is here that I feel right on the pitch. And also it is here that the players are respected.

Online Jill

• Don't really care what.
  • General Member
« Reply #68 on: Monday 19 October 2009, 07:07:29 pm »
Today's fairly obvious job tip: When applying for jobs by email, use a suitable email address, i.e. one that isn't a shortened version of 'f*** you all night'.  :no:

Offline Mr. Snrub

• General Member
  • Messi
« Reply #69 on: Monday 19 October 2009, 07:13:45 pm »
Started a new job today actually as a labourer in the construction industry.

Real good money considering it's unskilled work, but f*** me it's physical and very tiring.  Maybe it will whip me into shape though.  :razz:

Offline Keefaz

• General Member
« Reply #70 on: Monday 19 October 2009, 07:18:32 pm »

Real good money considering it's unskilled work, but f*** me it's physical and very tiring.  Maybe it will whip me into shape though.  :razz:

Where is that, mate? I'm willing to try anything now.

Offline Mr. Snrub

• General Member
  • Messi
« Reply #71 on: Monday 19 October 2009, 07:21:35 pm »

Northern Ireland.  So after travel expenses, it might not be worth it for you. ;)

Offline Keefaz

• General Member
« Reply #72 on: Monday 19 October 2009, 07:22:15 pm »

Northern Ireland.  So after travel expenses, it might not be worth it for you. ;)

Oh, aye. :lol:

Stephen927

« Reply #73 on: Monday 19 October 2009, 09:40:40 pm »
To all those unemployed, take heart from this song.

Offline Keefaz

• General Member
« Reply #74 on: Monday 19 October 2009, 09:49:35 pm »
To all those unemployed, take heart from this song.

Why doesn't George Michael no longer rap about being on the dole? What a waste of talent.

Also, I fear I may have cracked a rib through cringing.