Author Topic: The Job Thread  (Read 312178 times)

Offline TRC

• WASRKOOK
  • General Member
Re: The Job Thread
« Reply #25 on: Monday 21 September 2009, 06:12:24 pm »
It might be a load of s*** for you but it worked for me; give your local careers advice centre a look.

Seems to evolved into this:

http://careersadvice.direct.gov.uk/helpandadvice/nextstep/
http://www.nextstepnortheast.org.uk/

Going to see one of these people tomorrow, what should I take along with me CV ect?

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: Monday 21 September 2009, 06:28:04 pm »
It's more about what you're going to do rather than what you've already done. But yeah you could do, gives you a point of reference I suppose.

Offline Ash

• General Member
  • 27/08/16 - Immortality
« Reply #27 on: Monday 21 September 2009, 11:48:24 pm »
I have an interview at Lloyds TSB tomorrow for the role of Personal Banking Manager. Starting to get quite nervous about it now.

Good luck chap.

Cheers Tooj.

Think it went okay. They said they'll let me know by next Friday so fingers crossed!

Got a call earlier. They've asked me to go back in next week for a second interview and role-play. :)

Well done mate. You really don't want to be overdressed for the role-play though.  :naughty:

I was absolutely positive when I posted that earlier, the first reply would mention the role-play. :lol:

They've not gone into too much detail yet but I think they want me to show them how I'd sell an account to a customer. My mate has offered to be a difficult customer so I'm going to practice my techniques on him on the way to Ipswich on Saturday. :laugh:
Quote from: Hatem Ben Arfa
I have already played in Milan, Madrid and Barcelona but it is here that I feel right on the pitch. And also it is here that the players are respected.

Offline Ash

• General Member
  • 27/08/16 - Immortality
« Reply #28 on: Monday 21 September 2009, 11:49:03 pm »
I have an interview at Lloyds TSB tomorrow for the role of Personal Banking Manager. Starting to get quite nervous about it now.

Good luck chap.

Cheers Tooj.

Think it went okay. They said they'll let me know by next Friday so fingers crossed!

Got a call earlier. They've asked me to go back in next week for a second interview and role-play. :)

Nice one man. Think mine went quite well today too. Now saying that I probably won't get asked back. :lol:

All the best mate, hope it comes off for you. O0
I have already played in Milan, Madrid and Barcelona but it is here that I feel right on the pitch. And also it is here that the players are respected.

Offline Tooj

• General Member
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 23 September 2009, 02:51:38 pm »
Just been offered a new job.  :celb:
"Elsewhere, at worst, modern commercial football could be seen as the mall rather than the circus; insidiously bland, decaffeinated and pre-packed, its relentless formulaic repetition an instrument for disabling consciousness rather than manipulating it."

David Goldblatt

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 23 September 2009, 02:55:35 pm »
Well done mate! :)

Offline James

• Book Wanker Wannabe
  • General Member
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 23 September 2009, 03:19:32 pm »
Well done all.

There are also some companies who only advertise on their website, so it is worth doing what cubaricho said, but also just drawing up a hitlist of companies that do what you are trying to get into, and just keep checking their recruitment webpages. Also follow up every interview and ask for feedback as if you were any good at the interview it will keep you fresh in their awareness. I went to a job interview in July, and missed out because the other guy had done different units to me that were more relevant to the role on offer. The company then got in touch with other offices and sent me off to have interviews in other offices over August in the event of a future vacancy coming up. Then the company got taken over last week, so they offerred me a job at the original office I applied for, at a grade higher than I applied for.

The general moral of this story is that with the recession going on, there may not be quite as many jobs going about at each company, but if you are any good people are going to remember you if something else comes up, so don't give up on a company after an initial rejection.
I looked into the eye of the Island and what I saw was beautiful.

Offline James

• Book Wanker Wannabe
  • General Member
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 23 September 2009, 03:20:18 pm »
By the way, does anyone know the best places to buy clothes for work?
I looked into the eye of the Island and what I saw was beautiful.

Offline Keefaz

• General Member
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 23 September 2009, 03:20:52 pm »

Only you, James. Only you.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 23 September 2009, 03:21:38 pm »

Sports Direct

Offline Stu

• Loves Jimmy Savile
  • General Member
  • Jimmy McNulty
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 24 September 2009, 12:52:46 am »

Um, what's the dress code?

What kind of office do you work in?

What style are you looking to present?

Offline Bowie

• General Member
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 24 September 2009, 01:33:31 am »
This is probably the most appropriate place to post this, anyway: Looking for some tips on how to make a good CV, been 2 years since i made my previous one and its very basic and outdated and i'm looking for a new job. Any advice will be mint, cheers.

Offline Mowen

• General Member
  • Sepp Blatter w*****
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 24 September 2009, 09:29:12 am »
This is probably the most appropriate place to post this, anyway: Looking for some tips on how to make a good CV, been 2 years since i made my previous one and its very basic and outdated and i'm looking for a new job. Any advice will be mint, cheers.

Big picture of your winky in the middle.
Under-21 coach David Platt added: "If Shola recognises what he's got, all hell could break loose."

Offline Ash

• General Member
  • 27/08/16 - Immortality
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 24 September 2009, 12:33:32 pm »
Just been offered a new job.  :celb:

Good work! At a guess, you're taking it? :razz:

Offline Stifleaay

• Heavy User of Shoes
  • General Member
  • Come here you ginger bitch.
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 24 September 2009, 06:35:17 pm »
I know spring is a long way off, but those of you who are good at computers may want to go to apple.co.uk, and apply for the jobs that are online now for the new apple store in Eldon Square (Eldon Square South, which will open early next year), as they are currently taking applications.

Offline Bowie

• General Member
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 24 September 2009, 09:53:03 pm »

Big picture of your winky in the middle.

Crease.

Offline Gorilla

• Likes gambling
  • General Member
« Reply #41 on: Friday 25 September 2009, 11:25:27 am »
I've just been told I have until the end of december to find anew role in the company or I will be made redundant as my role will no longer exist.  Will hopefully find something though.

Offline Tooj

• General Member
« Reply #42 on: Friday 25 September 2009, 11:56:32 am »
I've just been told I have until the end of december to find anew role in the company or I will be made redundant as my role will no longer exist.  Will hopefully find something though.

Best of luck mate. That's happened to me twice now so I know exactly how low something like that makes you feel.
"Elsewhere, at worst, modern commercial football could be seen as the mall rather than the circus; insidiously bland, decaffeinated and pre-packed, its relentless formulaic repetition an instrument for disabling consciousness rather than manipulating it."

David Goldblatt

Offline Stu

• Loves Jimmy Savile
  • General Member
  • Jimmy McNulty
« Reply #43 on: Friday 25 September 2009, 12:16:27 pm »
had an interview on Thursday morning at my current place for a new job, going to find out on Monday if I've been successful..

Offline Tooj

• General Member
« Reply #44 on: Monday 28 September 2009, 11:17:54 am »
Got an interview as well on Wednesday on the back of that phone interview I had. Going to go along to this one as well to keep my options open. It's in Jesmond like *spits* but would be quite a decent place to work in due to the proximity of after work pints and such.

David Goldblatt

BooBoo

« Reply #45 on: Monday 28 September 2009, 05:36:06 pm »
I start my new job as a trainee solicitor on Thursday in Manchester. I'm quite surprised by the complete lack of nerves, in fact i'm really looking forward to it as it's been something i've been working towards for a good few years now.

Offline NE6

• General Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #46 on: Monday 28 September 2009, 07:34:07 pm »
I know spring is a long way off, but those of you who are good at computers may want to go to apple.co.uk, and apply for the jobs that are online now for the new apple store in Eldon Square (Eldon Square South, which will open early next year), as they are currently taking applications.

What would the wages be like at apple? Unless you were a manger I reckon they'd be basic retail i.e minimum...anyone know different?

Offline Tooj

• General Member
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 15 October 2009, 03:19:32 pm »
Quick question for everyone. I am due to be officially made redundant on the 7th November. Yet they also have to pay me an extra week and a day in lieu which takes me to the 15th November. Yet I also have a new job to start and ideally want to start that on Monday 9th November. Would this mean that my week in lieu won't be paid? Or can I not start my job till the 16th November?

David Goldblatt

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 15 October 2009, 03:22:49 pm »

What would the wages be like at apple? Unless you were a manger I reckon they'd be basic retail i.e minimum...anyone know different?

You get good discounts.. I know that much.

The thing is, there will be enough apple fanboys applying for the jobs to fill the tyne, so if you don't know your s***, I wouldn't bother applying.

Offline Hudson

• General Member
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 15 October 2009, 03:25:53 pm »
Quick question for everyone. I am due to be officially made redundant on the 7th November. Yet they also have to pay me an extra week and a day in lieu which takes me to the 15th November. Yet I also have a new job to start and ideally want to start that on Monday 9th November. Would this mean that my week in lieu won't be paid? Or can I not start my job till the 16th November?

As it's a week in lieu they should pay you and not expect you to work, failing that just fain sickness due to stress and finish a week early  :snod:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.