Author Topic: The Job Thread  (Read 312203 times)

Offline Tooj

• General Member
The Job Thread
« on: Wednesday 16 September 2009, 05:24:31 pm »
Now I know we have several people on here who have actively been seeking work or I thought we could use this place to pass on any useful websites, tips or hints for interviews and such.

I've got a telephone interview on Monday and can't say I've ever really had a telephone interview before so not sure what to expect. Especially as the role is for a Service Management Analyst which is a role that I haven't actually done before, but decided to apply for anyway as some of the areas I have worked in could easily be transferred over.

So anyone else after a new job? Recommend any websites? Or anything about anyone's career in general they want to share?

Just started using LinkedIn as well. Not sure of the benefits of it as of yet mind.
"Elsewhere, at worst, modern commercial football could be seen as the mall rather than the circus; insidiously bland, decaffeinated and pre-packed, its relentless formulaic repetition an instrument for disabling consciousness rather than manipulating it."

David Goldblatt

Offline Dave

• Administrator
Re: The Job Thread
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 September 2009, 05:29:42 pm »
It might be a load of s*** for you but it worked for me; give your local careers advice centre a look.

Seems to evolved into this:

http://careersadvice.direct.gov.uk/helpandadvice/nextstep/
http://www.nextstepnortheast.org.uk/

Offline Tooj

• General Member
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 September 2009, 05:34:24 pm »
It might be a load of s*** for you but it worked for me; give your local careers advice centre a look.

Seems to evolved into this:

http://careersadvice.direct.gov.uk/helpandadvice/nextstep/
http://www.nextstepnortheast.org.uk/

I've actually downloaded a canny bit of stuff lately as well about it. Still in work at the moment (for now) but really fancy moving to a new place/career.
"Elsewhere, at worst, modern commercial football could be seen as the mall rather than the circus; insidiously bland, decaffeinated and pre-packed, its relentless formulaic repetition an instrument for disabling consciousness rather than manipulating it."

David Goldblatt

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 September 2009, 05:44:48 pm »
It was obviously about nine years ago when I went but I just went in, sat down with a bloke and discussed my qualifications, what I was/am interested in, some ideas and what was available (it's linked in with the job centre stuff I think). I know I got lucky with the interview I went to and everything that followed but if I'd not got off my arse and gone there none of it would have happened.

You can't beat actually talking to someone about work and careers rather than just Googling and staring at a computer screen expecting something good to pop up.

It's well worth an hour of your time. :thup:

Offline Ash

• General Member
  • 27/08/16 - Immortality
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 16 September 2009, 07:01:15 pm »
I have an interview at Lloyds TSB tomorrow for the role of Personal Banking Manager. Starting to get quite nervous about it now.
Quote from: Hatem Ben Arfa
I have already played in Milan, Madrid and Barcelona but it is here that I feel right on the pitch. And also it is here that the players are respected.

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 16 September 2009, 07:02:11 pm »
I have an interview at Lloyds TSB tomorrow for the role of Personal Banking Manager. Starting to get quite nervous about it now.

dont try and sell me a f***ing loan :angry: :angry:

Offline LBW

• TPFKA lankybellwipe
  • General Member
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 16 September 2009, 07:10:06 pm »

dont try and sell me a f***ing loan :angry: :angry:

I was going to pop into Pet Hates again!

Why, since I've come into a bit money do the clerks always ask me to sit with an advisor to discuss my finances, like today. I told wench 5 that I had recently transfered £3,600 into an ISA savings account, and did not require any more advise thankyou! next time I shall substitute thankyou with f*** off.... please!
"You're giving ME the 'it's naat you it's me' routine? If it's anybaady, it's ME!!"
"Ok George, it's YOU!"
"You're DAMN RIGHT IT'S ME!"

Offline Tooj

• General Member
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 September 2009, 10:13:45 am »

Good luck chap.

David Goldblatt

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • plus d'argent, plus de problemes
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 September 2009, 10:18:03 am »
In my line of work, the most useful thing is always to get a hold of a few competant recruitment consultants and get to know them properly. So they know what kind of job you're really looking for and can prepare you for interviews etc.

I've never had a telephone interview, sounds like my worst nightmare. Also would be a bit wary of an employer who can't be arsed to meet candidates face-to-face. Unless there's another reason I can't think of.

LinkedIn is very good, more so as you get more experienced I think. I've never found a job through it but I do know that people have linked up to me and looked at my profile.

The job websites I have had most joy out of are jobs.guardian.co.uk and jobsite.co.uk. The latter in particular has recently been relaunched and is full of activity.

Offline Tooj

• General Member
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 September 2009, 10:20:16 am »
In my line of work, the most useful thing is always to get a hold of a few competant recruitment consultants and get to know them properly. So they know what kind of job you're really looking for and can prepare you for interviews etc.

I've never had a telephone interview, sounds like my worst nightmare. Also would be a bit wary of an employer who can't be arsed to meet candidates face-to-face. Unless there's another reason I can't think of.

LinkedIn is very good, more so as you get more experienced I think. I've never found a job through it but I do know that people have linked up to me and looked at my profile.

The job websites I have had most joy out of are jobs.guardian.co.uk and jobsite.co.uk. The latter in particular has recently been relaunched and is full of activity.

I'm the same with a telephone interview. Apparently you have that interview then a final interview with a Senior Exec which is face to face.

David Goldblatt

Offline Mowen

• General Member
  • Sepp Blatter w*****
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 September 2009, 10:23:43 am »
If anyone's in their final year at uni, I found the graduate recruitment bureau very good. http://www.grb.uk.com/

You can specify the sector and area of the country you want to work in, I got an interview for a very good job through them.
Under-21 coach David Platt added: "If Shola recognises what he's got, all hell could break loose."

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 September 2009, 10:28:10 am »

I'm the same with a telephone interview. Apparently you have that interview then a final interview with a Senior Exec which is face to face.

Hmm, well good luck.

I wouldn't worry about it, I'm sure plenty of companies do it - I'm just really picky about how I'm treated. Also I have the luxury of having a job, which makes it easy to criticise!

Offline Mowen

• General Member
  • Sepp Blatter w*****
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 September 2009, 10:37:32 am »
Now I know we have several people on here who have actively been seeking work or I thought we could use this place to pass on any useful websites, tips or hints for interviews and such.

I've got a telephone interview on Monday and can't say I've ever really had a telephone interview before so not sure what to expect. Especially as the role is for a Service Management Analyst which is a role that I haven't actually done before, but decided to apply for anyway as some of the areas I have worked in could easily be transferred over.

So anyone else after a new job? Recommend any websites? Or anything about anyone's career in general they want to share?

Just started using LinkedIn as well. Not sure of the benefits of it as of yet mind.

I had a telephone interview as one of the stages for getting on my scheme, knew it was going to be 'competency' based (i.e. give an example of a time when...) and had a vague idea of the categories I'd get so I'd prepared some stuff. Set my alarm for 45 mins before it, snoozed for 10 and decided to go for a shower before reading through my stuff. Only I couldn't, because the phone started ringing, as I'd forgotten what time I'd booked the interview for. f***ing idiot. Nailed it mind. The moral of the story is... dunno. Good luck mate.
Under-21 coach David Platt added: "If Shola recognises what he's got, all hell could break loose."

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 September 2009, 10:38:46 am »
I guess one bonus is that you can have notes in front of you, so pays to do some preparation and get some stuff ready.

Offline Mowen

• General Member
  • Sepp Blatter w*****
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 September 2009, 10:40:54 am »
I guess one bonus is that you can have notes in front of you, so pays to do some preparation and get some stuff ready.

It is a benefit, but you can't really look at them. You need to talk as fluently as you would if you were in front of them, and I can't do that whilst looking over notes etc. It's good for saving you having to remember the odd fact or figure though.

Offline Tooj

• General Member
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 September 2009, 10:55:25 am »

Hmm, well good luck.

I wouldn't worry about it, I'm sure plenty of companies do it - I'm just really picky about how I'm treated. Also I have the luxury of having a job, which makes it easy to criticise!

I've got one like but just really desperate to get out.

David Goldblatt

Offline Ash

• General Member
  • 27/08/16 - Immortality
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 September 2009, 03:46:07 pm »

Good luck chap.

Cheers Tooj.

Think it went okay. They said they'll let me know by next Friday so fingers crossed!
I have already played in Milan, Madrid and Barcelona but it is here that I feel right on the pitch. And also it is here that the players are respected.

Offline Ash

• General Member
  • 27/08/16 - Immortality
« Reply #17 on: Monday 21 September 2009, 02:06:27 pm »

Good luck chap.

Cheers Tooj.

Think it went okay. They said they'll let me know by next Friday so fingers crossed!

Got a call earlier. They've asked me to go back in next week for a second interview and role-play. :)

Stephen927

« Reply #18 on: Monday 21 September 2009, 02:19:21 pm »

Good luck chap.

Cheers Tooj.

Got a call earlier. They've asked me to go back in next week for a second interview and role-play. :)

Well done mate. You really don't want to be overdressed for the role-play though.  :naughty:

Offline Tooj

• General Member
« Reply #19 on: Monday 21 September 2009, 02:20:11 pm »

Good luck chap.

Cheers Tooj.

Nice one man. Think mine went quite well today too. Now saying that I probably won't get asked back. :lol:

David Goldblatt

Heneage

« Reply #20 on: Monday 21 September 2009, 02:43:34 pm »

Good luck chap.

Cheers Tooj.

Nice one man. Think mine went quite well today too. Now saying that I probably won't get asked back. :lol:
Good luck either way mate, very admirable trying to further your career.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • #votekaka2018
« Reply #21 on: Monday 21 September 2009, 05:37:01 pm »
sending speculative email or letters to companies along with a tailored cv has worked for me more than once

Offline NE6

• General Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: Monday 21 September 2009, 05:41:34 pm »
Fenwicks are looking for staff.

Offline Stu

• Loves Jimmy Savile
  • General Member
  • Jimmy McNulty
« Reply #23 on: Monday 21 September 2009, 06:04:11 pm »
Santander Cards (formerly GE Money) up at Cobalt are taking on new staff in their Finance department. PB and APB level, if you're interested and want more info PM me.

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #24 on: Monday 21 September 2009, 06:09:14 pm »
sending speculative email or letters to companies along with a tailored cv has worked for me more than once

This.  You'd be amazed how often there are jobs available that are not posted on websites/anywhere.  I've given this advice to a few friends and they've gotten jobs from it, especially the field that we're all in (photography/magazines/etc...).  Sometimes it's very beneficial to shoot an email to a higher up (associate editor at magazines because they are the first to know if their specific magazine needs a new employee) with a little query letter along with a link to your portfolio/resume(cv).  It works out more often than you'd think and you can actually end up working somewhere that you genuinely want to work at.
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒