Author Topic: Intergalactic Cosmic Space Thread about Stuff in Space  (Read 96080 times)

Online Yorkie

• General Member
Re: Intergalactic Cosmic Space Thread about Stuff in Space
« Reply #1825 on: Wednesday 23 December 2020, 01:28:38 AM »
I'm struggling to put this into words but the moon freaked me out a bit today. It was almost perfectly half in shadow all day, which is obviously normal, but in the space of about three hours, the angle had completely changed. So when I saw it this afternoon, with the top and bottom of the shaded area being visible at '12 o'clock' and 6 o'clock on the face of the moon (so completely vertical, basically); by the evening, it was as if everything had rotated a few degrees clockwise, with the top and bottom of the shadow being 2 o'clock and 8 o'clock. I swear I've never seen that happen and it's completely flummoxed me. We travelled about 40 miles west in that time so I assume that has something to do with it but still find it very odd.

Offline Super Duper Branko Strupar

• General Member
  • Kill Your Masters
« Reply #1826 on: Wednesday 23 December 2020, 01:30:38 AM »
You mean the moon changed shape after hours of travelling around the earth? Wild.
Articles, articles, articles, rather you remain unremarkable.

Offline loki679

• General Member
  • 中国
« Reply #1827 on: Wednesday 23 December 2020, 06:03:14 AM »
I'm struggling to put this into words but the moon freaked me out a bit today. It was almost perfectly half in shadow all day, which is obviously normal, but in the space of about three hours, the angle had completely changed. So when I saw it this afternoon, with the top and bottom of the shaded area being visible at '12 o'clock' and 6 o'clock on the face of the moon (so completely vertical, basically); by the evening, it was as if everything had rotated a few degrees clockwise, with the top and bottom of the shadow being 2 o'clock and 8 o'clock. I swear I've never seen that happen and it's completely flummoxed me. We travelled about 40 miles west in that time so I assume that has something to do with it but still find it very odd.

:mystery:

:mysterysolved:
Comfy chairs, beer, and doom. Humanity's future is an early 90s LAN party.

Online Yorkie

• General Member
« Reply #1828 on: Wednesday 23 December 2020, 09:23:00 AM »
Not disputing the fact that it happened or suggesting that it's any sort of phenomenom; I've just never spotted it doing this before and it stumped me cos I ruddy love the moon.

Screenshot-20201223-091543-Whats-App-2" border="0

Screenshot-20201223-091712-Whats-App-2" border="0