Author Topic: What are you watching right now?  (Read 736709 times)

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
Re: What are you watching right now?
« Reply #19900 on: Wednesday 24 April 2019, 11:31:39 AM »
had another look at killing eve after bailing in the first ep when everyone went mental over it, first instincts correct i think seems wildly overrated

I think it's over-rated but it's still canny. Some enjoyable performances from the cast make the most of a pretty average, if not totally ridiculous, plot.

It doesn't take itself too seriously which makes it alternately brilliant and s****.

Offline Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
« Reply #19901 on: Wednesday 24 April 2019, 11:32:24 AM »
That's what I enjoyed about it but can see why people don't like it. It had a different energy that made it enjoyable, but can see why people might have thought it's quirky for the sake of it.
Bearings Straight!

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #19902 on: Wednesday 24 April 2019, 11:33:45 AM »
I think it’s really good, obviously anything interesting on the BBC gets a bit too much excitement lavished on it. Especially drama, because it’s seen as competing with Netflix etc.

Think it’s a top show though.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #19903 on: Wednesday 24 April 2019, 11:35:51 AM »
I can see why people would struggle after a couple of episodes, it's a slow build and normally I would have lost interest. But I actually became invested in the characters and their relationships, and then when it kicked off it felt a lot better than it was.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #19904 on: Wednesday 24 April 2019, 11:37:21 AM »
I think it’s really good, obviously anything interesting on the BBC gets a bit too much excitement lavished on it. Especially drama, because it’s seen as competing with Netflix etc.

Made by BBC America, so it likely is competing. Bit p*ssed off if I'm honest that the Beeb is making TV for America, but I guess that's where we are.

Offline Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
« Reply #19905 on: Wednesday 24 April 2019, 11:37:53 AM »
I've just started s1 of Line of Duty, I know massively late to the party. First 2 episodes we class, definitely hooked.
Bearings Straight!

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #19906 on: Wednesday 24 April 2019, 11:40:17 AM »
I can see why people would struggle after a couple of episodes, it's a slow build and normally I would have lost interest. But I actually became invested in the characters and their relationships, and then when it kicked off it felt a lot better than it was.

i was actually into it more up until about 5/6 somewhere, seems to be getting a bit too contrived and drawn out...should have kept it between the two main protagonists imo

2 to go, might end up loving it who knows
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #19907 on: Wednesday 24 April 2019, 11:45:31 AM »

i was actually into it more up until about 5/6 somewhere, seems to be getting a bit too contrived and drawn out...should have kept it between the two main protagonists imo

2 to go, might end up loving it who knows

Oh aye, it does do that. To be honest I only watch it for Villanelle.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #19908 on: Wednesday 24 April 2019, 11:55:32 AM »

I think the opposite is true. The Victim that was on BBC recently was absolutely brilliant but has gone completely under the radar. British drama has to work especially hard to get noticed, there's a snobbery exists now that only US made TV is worth bothering with.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline Super Duper Branko Strupar

• General Member
  • Leeds Leeds Leeds
« Reply #19909 on: Wednesday 24 April 2019, 12:03:13 PM »
Watched something called Back to Life last night. Meh.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Sacramento, California
« Reply #19910 on: Wednesday 24 April 2019, 02:52:07 PM »

Made by BBC America, so it likely is competing. Bit p*ssed off if I'm honest that the Beeb is making TV for America, but I guess that's where we are.

Why?  It gets shown in the UK too, and it's not like it's funded by TV licenses.

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #19911 on: Wednesday 24 April 2019, 03:21:58 PM »
Didn't realise ITV make Line Of Duty and Bodyguard for BBC, amongst others for them and C4 etc.

Only reason I know that is that I'm technically now an ITV employee as of the last few weeks and they told me :lol: (company was taken over by an Asian Telco then ITV bought an exclusive UK licence to use our platform, moving some employees over including myself).

Anyway ah fuckin hate ITV me and I'm not changing my stance on that.

Online CFlan

• General Member
  • f*** Steve Mills.
« Reply #19912 on: Wednesday 24 April 2019, 04:44:55 PM »
Start campaigning them to bring back The Bill plz.

Offline Super Duper Branko Strupar

• General Member
  • Leeds Leeds Leeds
« Reply #19913 on: Wednesday 24 April 2019, 05:09:02 PM »
Didn't realise ITV make Line Of Duty and Bodyguard for BBC, amongst others for them and C4 etc.

Only reason I know that is that I'm technically now an ITV employee as of the last few weeks and they told me :lol: (company was taken over by an Asian Telco then ITV bought an exclusive UK licence to use our platform, moving some employees over including myself).

Anyway ah fuckin hate ITV me and I'm not changing my stance on that.

It's not really ITV doing anything. ITV acquired a few production companies and it's those companies who produce the shows. ITV just now own them through acquisition. It'll still pretty much be the production company it was prior to being bought. Maybe with a but more resource now.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #19914 on: Wednesday 24 April 2019, 05:12:33 PM »

Why?  It gets shown in the UK too, and it's not like it's funded by TV licenses.

Being shown in US first though. The British Broadcasting corporation, broadcasting to the states. And what do you mean the BBC isn't funded by license fees?

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Sacramento, California
« Reply #19915 on: Wednesday 24 April 2019, 05:15:44 PM »

Being shown in US first though. The British Broadcasting corporation, broadcasting to the states. And what do you mean the BBC isn't funded by license fees?

BBC America is funded through adverts and subscription fees. 

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
  • Norway
« Reply #19916 on: Wednesday 24 April 2019, 05:20:51 PM »

They're two different entities. The BBC ownes BBC America, but they're not the same company.
But only in their dreams can men be truly free. It was always thus and always thus will be.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #19917 on: Wednesday 24 April 2019, 05:33:01 PM »

They're two different entities. The BBC ownes BBC America, but they're not the same company.

Did they buy/set up BBC America using advertising and subscription?

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
  • Norway
« Reply #19918 on: Wednesday 24 April 2019, 05:52:15 PM »

The BBC cannot fund any channels outside the United Kingdom using license fees, so they are funded by ads and subscriptions. BBC America for instance is co-owned by AMC Networks as well.
But only in their dreams can men be truly free. It was always thus and always thus will be.

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #19919 on: Wednesday 24 April 2019, 06:07:33 PM »

The BBC cannot fund any channels outside the United Kingdom using license fees, so they are funded by ads and subscriptions. BBC America for instance is co-owned by AMC Networks as well.

I wonder why they didn't call it AMC UK, then. Could it have anything to do with the global reputation the BBC has developed over god knows how many years, financed by the license payer?

Offline Matt

• General Member
« Reply #19920 on: Wednesday 24 April 2019, 06:20:57 PM »
Because it's been around for decades and AMC only bought in a few years ago. The BBC's international operations contribute to the overall funding of the organisation and reduce the burden on UK licence payers.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Sacramento, California
« Reply #19921 on: Wednesday 24 April 2019, 06:25:21 PM »
This is a really weird thing to get worked up about, even for you.  They made a channel to broadcast their programmes in the US, and it made enough revenue to start making its own shows.  What's the problem?

Offline sadnesstan

• General Member
« Reply #19922 on: Wednesday 24 April 2019, 07:18:51 PM »
This is a really weird thing to get worked up about, even for you.  They made a channel to broadcast their programmes in the US, and it made enough revenue to start making its own shows.  What's the problem?

I'm not worked up. I think my original comment was "slightly p*ssed off". And that is mainly because the US get it before the UK. Just like every US programme.

Offline OCK

• General Member
« Reply #19923 on: Wednesday 24 April 2019, 07:21:49 PM »
Start campaigning them to bring back The Bill plz.

I caught an episode on Gold the other day. Looks like it was filmed on a nokia.

Offline ponsaelius

• General Member
« Reply #19924 on: Wednesday 24 April 2019, 10:57:06 PM »
A House Through Time on iPlayer in Newcastle. 2 episodes in now, really good watch.

Ep 3 great too. This is must watch for anybody from Newcastle imo.
Before that why didn't the Wigan fans just walk the the Stewart's, the Stewart's only went up to the touchline, their was a big gap between the end of the Stewart's and the stand they could have walked through.
God man replacement's don't have to 100% of best to 100% of a replacement.
The are both white, both intellects, both middle class, both the typical 'people who would have thought could never do such a thing ', all traits of a Psychopath.