Author Topic: What are you watching right now?  (Read 754616 times)

Offline wormy

• General Member
Re: What are you watching right now?
« Reply #23675 on: Thursday 30 July 2020, 10:00:41 AM »
I liked Jo Brand, because she just didn't give a f***, and David Baddiel, because he was terrible at everything.

Joe Wilkinson (S2) for me. James Acaster (S7) was brilliant on it too. Proper fell in love with Katherine Ryan on season 2 though.

Ah, man. :lol: Just got certain bits in my head now like Joe with the beers for the mayor and James with 'open the box you pussy'.

Think Herring has said on Twitter it's due in October so I think I'm going to end up rewatching in the meantime.

Offline Papavasiliou

• General Member
« Reply #23676 on: Thursday 30 July 2020, 10:11:40 AM »
Rewatching the best of's I'd forgotten how much I loved Al Murray just using money and the fact he lives round the corner for every task.

Paying Alex to move a bucket of water for him by just paying him £115 in tenner instalments every few meters was brilliant. As was using the fact he knew there was a drum supply shop down the road to go rent himself a 6 foot tall gong for a task.

Ah, man. :lol: Just got certain bits in my head now like Joe with the beers for the mayor and James with 'open the box you pussy'.

Joe: There you go, 42 Calipos and 8 cans of strong lager.
Mayor: Any significance to the 42?
Joe: Just all they had.

:lol:

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #23677 on: Thursday 30 July 2020, 10:12:45 AM »
The Knick. 1900s Hospital drama, f***ing great, and of course it gets cancelled after the second season.

Imo one of the most underrated shows in the last decade. If they chose to air it on HBO it would've been up there as one of the best.

Yes. I mean, a lot of shows have died a premature death on HBO too, but still agree. It lacked a network that could give it a proper push, the cast were great, great lead, interesting as f*** show too. But just so many shows end with no proper planning. Sneaky Pete was another, a perfectly good show, but had hit the 2/3 season mark and deemed redundant. Waste of time, really makes you think twice about watching s***. The Knick at least did have an ending, but it was only ever meant to be a season ending, not series end. s****.
Making mistakes is how you learn.
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

Offline LoveItIfWeBeatU

• General Member
« Reply #23678 on: Thursday 30 July 2020, 10:49:47 AM »
The Knick. 1900s Hospital drama, f***ing great, and of course it gets cancelled after the second season.

Imo one of the most underrated shows in the last decade. If they chose to air it on HBO it would've been up there as one of the best.

Yes. I mean, a lot of shows have died a premature death on HBO too, but still agree. It lacked a network that could give it a proper push, the cast were great, great lead, interesting as f*** show too. But just so many shows end with no proper planning. Sneaky Pete was another, a perfectly good show, but had hit the 2/3 season mark and deemed redundant. Waste of time, really makes you think twice about watching s***. The Knick at least did have an ending, but it was only ever meant to be a season ending, not series end. s****.

As I said, it ends on a cliffhanger. I suppose with what happens to that character at the end of the last episode you can just decide the outcome for yourself.

It's "the golden age of television" but there are too many good shows. I try to limit myself to great shows or shows that have finished so I know what I'm committing myself to.
Thier is not a word. "Their" is the correct spelling.

Win, Lose or Draw. NOT "Loose"!

Offline Shearergol

• General Member
« Reply #23679 on: Thursday 30 July 2020, 02:03:43 PM »
I liked Jo Brand, because she just didn't give a f***, and David Baddiel, because he was terrible at everything.

Joe Wilkinson (S2) for me. James Acaster (S7) was brilliant on it too. Proper fell in love with Katherine Ryan on season 2 though.

Think Herring has said on Twitter it's due in October so I think I'm going to end up rewatching in the meantime.

Joe throwing the potato in the hole with a direct shot, celebrating for 5 minutes, only for the slow mo to ruin things. Genius TV.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
  • London, UK
« Reply #23680 on: Thursday 30 July 2020, 03:13:57 PM »
:smitten:

Really looking forward to seeing how this translates to C4. Hopefully they really do let them just continue as is like they seem to be suggesting.

Happy with that lineup purely for Johnny Vegas and Richard Herring. Hope Katherine Parkinson ends up in the Sally Phillips category, where I knew of her from some shows but not her personality, and she ended up being brilliant. Never heard of the other two.

Never watched the US version they did but I assume it was s****.

Got it in one. Don't waste your time. :lol:
\
Daisy May Cooper's in it as well. She was saying on Insta, how Johnny Vegas is so much more handsome in real life.

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #23681 on: Thursday 30 July 2020, 05:33:28 PM »
?lang=en

I used to think he says 'Mrs Sidney Poitier', like he'd heard the name but didn't know what gender they were

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #23682 on: Friday 31 July 2020, 01:44:05 AM »
Love on the Spectrum.

Michael is the most incredible Partridge cosplay I've ever seen.

Offline BlufPurdi

• Administrator
  • Speaking truth to stupid since 2005.
« Reply #23683 on: Friday 31 July 2020, 12:09:05 PM »
Billions. Really good, although not great. Kind of sick of the story already and not even out of season 1, can only hope it changes up a bit for the other seasons as I really want an enjoyable binge watch.
Making mistakes is how you learn.
Every generation must fight the same battles again and again and again. There is no final victory, and there is no final defeat, and so a little bit of history may help.
“What power have you got? Where did you get it from? In whose interests do you exercise it? To whom are you accountable? And how can we get rid of you?” If you cannot get rid of the people who govern you, you do not live in a democratic system.
That is why no one with power likes democracy and that is why every generation must struggle to win it and keep it – including you and me, here and now.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #23684 on: Friday 31 July 2020, 12:57:19 PM »
Billions. Really good, although not great. Kind of sick of the story already and not even out of season 1, can only hope it changes up a bit for the other seasons as I really want an enjoyable binge watch.

I thought it was OK but not worth watching it all. Damian Lewis can be pretty boring at times.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #23685 on: Friday 31 July 2020, 05:37:34 PM »
Finished Dark.  The last series got almost too complicated to follow as it went on, but the last two episodes were seriously excellent and tied everything together.  A very satisfying conclusion.  Think I'll try Money Heist next.

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #23686 on: Friday 31 July 2020, 06:15:36 PM »
Finished Rome again the other night for the third or fourth time. Just, what a show. I love the concept of two plebs being integral parts of major political events like that. As a concept it's fascinating.

Online Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #23687 on: Friday 31 July 2020, 06:19:05 PM »
Finished Dark.  The last series got almost too complicated to follow as it went on, but the last two episodes were seriously excellent and tied everything together.  A very satisfying conclusion.  Think I'll try Money Heist next.
I can't work out what it was that didn't click with me with s3. Expectations being sky high maybe. I thought it was good but was somehow left unsatisfied. Going by the reviews on imdb I seem to be in the minority though.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #23688 on: Friday 31 July 2020, 06:29:55 PM »
I can't work out what it was that didn't click with me with s3. Expectations being sky high maybe. I thought it was good but was somehow left unsatisfied. Going by the reviews on imdb I seem to be in the minority though.

Spoiler
[close]

Online Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #23689 on: Friday 31 July 2020, 06:46:46 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Offline TK-421

• General Member
  • Not at my Post
« Reply #23690 on: Friday 31 July 2020, 06:49:57 PM »
See Umbrella Academy S2 starts today on Netflix. Will probably start that this weekend.
Claim to fame.... Han Solo stole my uniform.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #23691 on: Friday 31 July 2020, 06:52:14 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

Biggest unanswered question for me:

Spoiler
[close]

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #23692 on: Friday 31 July 2020, 09:57:35 PM »
Started The Last Dance, this caption is brilliant.  :lol:

Offline triggs

• eirenufcfan
  • General Member
  • I've had my fun and that's all that matters
« Reply #23693 on: Friday 31 July 2020, 10:16:49 PM »
Thought they had to get rid of that and put it to "former US President" or something similar because idiots started kicking off? Its obviously not what he's famous for but I think its a way of showing they aren't just shoehorning him in because he's an ex President.
"Lots of young fellas runnin' around in shorts, that's the kind of think you like looking at, and I bet you like that too, only you're probably imagining what they'd look like without shorts, you're sitting there imagining that with a big smile on your face, ya dirty fecker"

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #23694 on: Friday 31 July 2020, 10:19:30 PM »
I think they changed it for the later episodes.  Apparently Clinton is there as Former Arkansas Governor too.

Online Ameritoon

• General Member
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #23695 on: Friday 31 July 2020, 10:37:36 PM »
He still has a home here so I resent that caption

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #23696 on: Saturday 1 August 2020, 12:21:05 AM »
Money Heist or whatever is also supposed to be wild.

Watched the first episode based off your enthusiastic review.  Interesting enough that I'll keep going, but it's just Oceans Eleven Once.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #23697 on: Saturday 1 August 2020, 12:21:55 AM »
[emoji38] You're welcome.

Online QuakesMag

• General Member
  • Carmel, California
« Reply #23698 on: Saturday 1 August 2020, 05:40:59 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Yeah, I'd agree with that.

Biggest unanswered question for me:

Spoiler
[close]

Overall fantastic show. I love fiction that handles the bootstrap paradox with care. Time Crimes is a great example of that, but given the absolute crazy complexity of Dark, the show was quite the achievement.

I too felt the end was slightly rushed, but the resolution didn't feel tacked on at all, which I was really worried about after about Episode 5.

Spoiler
[close]
Not one of the cool kids, and really insecure about it.

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #23699 on: Yesterday at 05:28:47 PM »
All episodes of Heroes on iPlayer now.

I know it turned a bit s*** but I really enjoyed the first series when it aired