Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire (GoT) Books 1-5  (Read 137267 times)

Offline Mike

• General Member
  • Double first choice
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (GoT) Books 1-5
« Reply #4600 on: Tuesday 14 May 2019, 01:45:59 am »
Started Fire and Blood and it's actually good.  Definitely scratching the itch.

:lol: Get the f*** outta my face with these absolute lies.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #4601 on: Tuesday 14 May 2019, 01:51:50 am »
:lol:  It's what The Silmarillion should have been.

Offline Mike

• General Member
  • Double first choice
« Reply #4602 on: Tuesday 14 May 2019, 01:57:47 am »
:lol: LOTR references are noise to me. I refuse to believe the Targ book is good. How many doublets has he described?

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #4603 on: Tuesday 14 May 2019, 02:01:46 am »
None so far, it's just a history book.  Basically just battles and incest.  It's quite dry, but at least I'm not having to hear about all 50 courses at each meal, or Brienne asking if anyone's seen a girl of four and ten with auburn hair.  At the moment it's all about Aegon's conquest.

Offline jdckelly

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #4604 on: Tuesday 14 May 2019, 09:43:06 am »
yeah I've been reading that too

Offline TRC

• WASRKOOK
  • General Member
« Reply #4605 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 04:04:25 pm »
After only watching the show, will reading the books be pointless? On sale here so might pick them up.

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #4606 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 04:15:02 pm »
There is not a chance in hell the books won't end better than the show. Especially now GRRM has witnessed the backlash :lol:
That's what I do, I drink and I know things.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #4607 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 04:19:26 pm »
There is not a chance in hell the books won't end better than the show. Especially now GRRM has witnessed the backlash :lol:

:yao:

Offline TRC

• WASRKOOK
  • General Member
« Reply #4608 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 04:19:50 pm »
I just meant will book 1 be boring covering old ground?

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #4609 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 04:20:25 pm »
Much more nuance and detail, plus tons of s*** never made it into the show.
That's what I do, I drink and I know things.

Offline Ameritoon

• General Member
« Reply #4610 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 04:20:55 pm »
Book one is pretty much shot for shot the same as the first season, beyond that, especially in the books 3 and later it gets incredibly different

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #4611 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 04:22:16 pm »
The last two books have the opposite problem to the show.  Instead of being rushed they're just long and drawn out with nothing happening.

Offline HaydnNUFC

• General Member
  • Yes, I'm really that young.
« Reply #4612 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 04:49:15 pm »
The last two books have the opposite problem to the show.  Instead of being rushed they're just long and drawn out with nothing happening.

Yep. Really didn't enjoy AFFC for that reason. I quite like ADWD though.
But...6 in a row. But...Calciopoli.

I reckon Haydn wears pure concentrated pheromones.

Offline OCK

• General Member
« Reply #4613 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 05:11:01 pm »
The f***er took so long to finish the book, Samwall Tarly finished it for him.

Offline TRC

• WASRKOOK
  • General Member
« Reply #4614 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 05:29:21 pm »
Ordered the set, was 40% off so why not.

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #4615 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 06:41:03 pm »
Books 1-3 are excellent. Books 4-5 feel like they’re setting up the final two books.

Offline gbandit

• General Member
« Reply #4616 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 07:02:59 pm »
I really disliked book 4 the first time I read it but thought 5 was just a slightly weaker version of 1-3. When I re-read them both I actually really enjoyed them, not quite to the same level as 1-3. I think it was due to being starved of new books and having only the show to go off. Overall, I think it’s a shame that GRRM is addicted to creating new characters and threads this late on, it’s pretty indulgent but we never would have had the amazing first books without him being that type of writer.

I wish he could get 6 out at least and then get 7 at least half-finished. I don’t hold out any hope of him completing the series

Offline ikri

• General Member
« Reply #4617 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 10:28:46 pm »
After only watching the show, will reading the books be pointless? On sale here so might pick them up.

The books are excellent.  I originally tried to read them years ago before the show came out but found the characters pretty dislikeable and struggled to get through the first hundred pages.  My cousin is a huge fan of the series and prodded me to watch them (I think series 3 had just finished) until I succumbed and found them pretty good.  After that I went back to read the books & found them a hell of a lot easier, knowing approximately how the story went made it easier at first to stomach the horrible characters and appreciate the way that GRRM signposts a lot of plot points that came over as huge twists at first sight.

Prepare for disappointment though.  You'll get through the current 5 books, then pick up the Dunk & Egg short stories, then the encyclopaedias and wonder when the f*** GRRM is going to actually finish the series.  There are so many plots on the go in the books that never made the TV series you'll forever wonder whether they were cut from the TV series for good reasons or whether they'd have made everything make more sense in the end and whether they only kept some characters in the show because the audience liked them when there's a good chance they've already finished their story or they're going to die long before the end.

Offline jdckelly

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #4618 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 10:33:41 pm »

The books are excellent.  I originally tried to read them years ago before the show came out but found the characters pretty dislikeable and struggled to get through the first hundred pages.  My cousin is a huge fan of the series and prodded me to watch them (I think series 3 had just finished) until I succumbed and found them pretty good.  After that I went back to read the books & found them a hell of a lot easier, knowing approximately how the story went made it easier at first to stomach the horrible characters and appreciate the way that GRRM signposts a lot of plot points that came over as huge twists at first sight.

Prepare for disappointment though.  You'll get through the current 5 books, then pick up the Dunk & Egg short stories, then the encyclopaedias and wonder when the f*** GRRM is going to actually finish the series.  There are so many plots on the go in the books that never made the TV series you'll forever wonder whether they were cut from the TV series for good reasons or whether they'd have made everything make more sense in the end and whether they only kept some characters in the show because the audience liked them when there's a good chance they've already finished their story or they're going to die long before the end.
actually think not adapting the
Spoiler
[close]
plot and using Cersei as a replacement really hurt Dany's character arc. Her going apeshit on KL would make a good deal more sense if they were cheering and supporting that person when they'd never cheer or support Cersei in a million years.

Offline ikri

• General Member
« Reply #4619 on: Tuesday 21 May 2019, 08:23:22 pm »
Thought I'd reply to this in the book thread since it's all book speculation.

Its p*ssed me off all day how Bran just sat in his chair looking all smug  :lol:

Has this little s*** gone back in time or something and set up the entire thing for himself to become King.?

He's clearly been manipulating things to get himself onto the throne, to a level that made the likes of Littlefinger and Varys look like amateurs.

Bet the little creep can't wait to start warging into brothels.

It'll probably more clear if GRRM ever actually finishes the books, but since there are numerous references in the books regarding the dangers of warging into humans I wonder if the Bran we see at the end isn't actually Bloodraven.  They're together in the cave & if the books follow the rough plot outline, they're together when Bloodraven dies.  With the chapter about Varamyr attempting to warg into another person when near death it would make a lot of sense that Bloodraven (who has always been a bit of a shifty b******) might have engineered Bran's trip as a way to get himself a new body then preparing everything to become King. 

As far as the TV series goes, it's such a minor plot point you could forgive D&D for not doing anything with it on screen and having missed their chance 3 or 4 seasons back they might have just been forced to run with it and make the best of what they could if they weren't warned that it was a major plot point.

The same goes for fAegon, his story is a big leap to throw into the TV show.  Introducing a major character when you're already 5 seasons in is a bit of a stretch, especially when Cersei holding the capital when Dany arrives is pretty similar but the ending makes so much more sense if it's fAegon sat in the Red Keep at the end (and it would explain why the Golden Company should be there beyond we need more troops as dragon-fodder).  Dany losing her s*** over fAegon sitting on the throne and being cheered by the inhabitants of the city as the one who defeated Cersei makes so much more sense than what we got in the show.

As a kicker to both points, Bloodraven spent most of his life fighting the Blackfyre rebellions & was the last person known to wield Dark Sister, one of the two Targaryen Valyrian swords (the other being Blackfyre) so it would be doubly fitting for Bloodraven-in-Bran to engineer the defeat of fAegon and take the throne himself.

Offline OCK

• General Member
« Reply #4620 on: Wednesday 22 May 2019, 08:28:32 am »
My thought was that Bran sat there and manipulated this all from the start, too. The ultimate revenge after being pushed out of the window by the Lannisters. Jaime and Cersei buried under the Red Keep, all their children killed, and now he sits as King of the Kingdoms with the North free.

Offline Raconteur

• General Member
  • I don't see any method at all, sir
« Reply #4621 on: Wednesday 22 May 2019, 08:42:22 am »
My thought was that Bran sat there and manipulated this all from the start, too. The ultimate revenge after being pushed out of the window by the Lannisters. Jaime and Cersei buried under the Red Keep, all their children killed, and now he sits as King of the Kingdoms with the North free.

My first response is would that be giving the writers too much credit?

Does it then follow that the NK was just some punk Bran beat up on the way?
Steve Bruce: Ashley Enabler

Offline Mike

• General Member
  • Double first choice
« Reply #4622 on: Wednesday 22 May 2019, 03:40:00 pm »

:lol: Having him say that instead of sitting there looking high as f*** would have helped.

Offline James

• Book Wanker Wannabe
  • General Member
« Reply #4623 on: Wednesday 22 May 2019, 03:51:51 pm »
Thought I'd reply to this in the book thread since it's all book speculation.

Its p*ssed me off all day how Bran just sat in his chair looking all smug  :lol:

Has this little s*** gone back in time or something and set up the entire thing for himself to become King.?

He's clearly been manipulating things to get himself onto the throne, to a level that made the likes of Littlefinger and Varys look like amateurs.

Bet the little creep can't wait to start warging into brothels.

It'll probably more clear if GRRM ever actually finishes the books, but since there are numerous references in the books regarding the dangers of warging into humans I wonder if the Bran we see at the end isn't actually Bloodraven.  They're together in the cave & if the books follow the rough plot outline, they're together when Bloodraven dies.  With the chapter about Varamyr attempting to warg into another person when near death it would make a lot of sense that Bloodraven (who has always been a bit of a shifty b******) might have engineered Bran's trip as a way to get himself a new body then preparing everything to become King. 

As far as the TV series goes, it's such a minor plot point you could forgive D&D for not doing anything with it on screen and having missed their chance 3 or 4 seasons back they might have just been forced to run with it and make the best of what they could if they weren't warned that it was a major plot point.

The same goes for fAegon, his story is a big leap to throw into the TV show.  Introducing a major character when you're already 5 seasons in is a bit of a stretch, especially when Cersei holding the capital when Dany arrives is pretty similar but the ending makes so much more sense if it's fAegon sat in the Red Keep at the end (and it would explain why the Golden Company should be there beyond we need more troops as dragon-fodder).  Dany losing her s*** over fAegon sitting on the throne and being cheered by the inhabitants of the city as the one who defeated Cersei makes so much more sense than what we got in the show.

As a kicker to both points, Bloodraven spent most of his life fighting the Blackfyre rebellions & was the last person known to wield Dark Sister, one of the two Targaryen Valyrian swords (the other being Blackfyre) so it would be doubly fitting for Bloodraven-in-Bran to engineer the defeat of fAegon and take the throne himself.

Can a warg warg into someone else from another body though?
I looked into the eye of the Island and what I saw was beautiful.

Offline James

• Book Wanker Wannabe
  • General Member
« Reply #4624 on: Wednesday 22 May 2019, 08:21:45 pm »
Imprison me if next book not finished by 29 July 2020 says Martin
I looked into the eye of the Island and what I saw was beautiful.