Author Topic: Guitarists  (Read 32931 times)

Offline OCK

• General Member
Re: Guitarists
« Reply #575 on: Saturday 16 March 2019, 04:53:01 PM »
I pulled my old £80 Tanglewood guitar out of the loft the other weekend. Been years since I've played this. It is cheap and cheerful, but I still prefer it in someways over the other guitars I have. I don't know why.  :lol:

Open_C

« Reply #576 on: Saturday 16 March 2019, 05:09:11 PM »
I love a cheap guitar, like. I got rid of all my steel strings other than a cheap Fender which plays just as well as the expensive Guild I used to play, and I'm also playing a nylon string that my lass found in a charity shop for £12, it's absolutely spectacular.  Very little difference between it and the £400 one I also have, other than it's a bit bashed.  Might do a bit of recording if the weather doesn't cheer up tomorrow, I've been back into my guitar of late.

firetotheworks

« Reply #577 on: Saturday 16 March 2019, 05:24:53 PM »
I was similar when I had my US Strat. I still used to use my epiphone SG with a P90 that I put in the bridge far more and it's now the only guitar I have.

Does anyone have any advice on a good shredders guitar to get btw? Technically I'm awful and I really want to get a good guitar with a low action that I can practice more intricate stuff on? I'll be looking second hand and probably won't want to pay for than like £300.

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
« Reply #578 on: Saturday 16 March 2019, 08:53:31 PM »
I was similar when I had my US Strat. I still used to use my epiphone SG with a P90 that I put in the bridge far more and it's now the only guitar I have.

Does anyone have any advice on a good shredders guitar to get btw? Technically I'm awful and I really want to get a good guitar with a low action that I can practice more intricate stuff on? I'll be looking second hand and probably won't want to pay for than like £300.

I've always associated Ibanez's with being shredder's guitars. My mate shreds on Northumberland street with a Jackson or a Gretsch but he's canny ridiculous tbh.

Open_C

« Reply #579 on: Saturday 16 March 2019, 08:54:57 PM »
Your mate needs to stop playing Crazy Train and Pachelbel's Canon in D and update the repertoire :lol:  his artificial harmonics in Crazy Train have become the unofficial soundtrack to my street photography career whenever I'm round the monument :lol:
« Last Edit: Saturday 16 March 2019, 09:12:04 PM by OpenC »

Open_C

« Reply #580 on: Saturday 16 March 2019, 08:58:37 PM »
..although I do admire his ability to play in the bitter cold, which is not easy

• General Member
« Reply #581 on: Saturday 16 March 2019, 10:26:52 PM »
Your mate needs to stop playing Crazy Train and Pachelbel's Canon in D and update the repertoire :lol:  his artificial harmonics in Crazy Train have become the unofficial soundtrack to my street photography career whenever I'm round the monument :lol:

:lol:

I think that might be his sidekick Liam, loves a pinch harmonic that kid  :D

firetotheworks

« Reply #582 on: Saturday 16 March 2019, 10:59:01 PM »
Ah he's a talented lad like, I remember hearing him playing with the Northumberland Street bassist who's awesome as well and they were playing this sort of Arabic metal jazz fusion s*** over a hip hop beat. :lol: Like beyond Mars Volta weird, but f***ing outrageous.

• General Member
« Reply #583 on: Saturday 16 March 2019, 11:30:11 PM »
Ah he's a talented lad like, I remember hearing him playing with the Northumberland Street bassist who's awesome as well and they were playing this sort of Arabic metal jazz fusion s*** over a hip hop beat. :lol: Like beyond Mars Volta weird, but f***ing outrageous.

Aye that's him, he can play like, they both can - he used to jam with Ojay (bassist) a canny bit - found mainly in S.Shields & Durham these days.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #584 on: Monday 18 March 2019, 08:17:34 AM »
Just going out to pick up a Fender Telecaster this afternoon.
I've had a humbuckered Telecaster Custom for 10 years, but as I have a Les Paul and an SG now, so I want to hear the twang of single coils.
It's a second-hand purchase, so I'm off down the south coast. On the same train as visiting Cardiff City fans, Hoorah.

Apologies, I was looking at the league fixtures, Brighton were in the FA Cup, so no Cardiff fans.
It's a great guitar. The kid selling it, had obviously been told by his gentler half to get rid of his expensive guitar, so luckily I got it for a real bargain price.
Got it home, restrung it it, cleaned and set it up and it sounds like a dream. Really lovely-looking and sounding guitar.

Offline Heake

• General Member
« Reply #585 on: Monday 18 March 2019, 12:32:19 PM »
What model KK?

...Oh & Pics please, Its the law

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #586 on: Monday 18 March 2019, 01:45:22 PM »
How do I post pics, again. Sorry.

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #587 on: Wednesday 20 March 2019, 01:56:02 PM »
What model KK?

It's a Fender Telecaster Standard Mexican made.
It's Butterscotch Blonde which I like, as the finish allows you to see the wood grain through it.
I was thinking of changing the bridge/saddles - as everyone is advising - but it sounds so good, I don't want to change them.
I haven't picked up the Gibson LP since Friday...

Offline Heake

• General Member
« Reply #588 on: Wednesday 20 March 2019, 03:48:47 PM »
What model KK?

It's a Fender Telecaster Standard Mexican made.
It's Butterscotch Blonde which I like, as the finish allows you to see the wood grain through it.
I was thinking of changing the bridge/saddles - as everyone is advising - but it sounds so good, I don't want to change them.
I haven't picked up the Gibson LP since Friday...

I had a Baja which sounded amazing for the money.

Has it got push-pull / coil tapping wiring?

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #589 on: Friday 22 March 2019, 01:37:25 PM »
No it's just the basic control set up.
The sound from it is great - even unplugged.
Now, all I've gotta do is learn how to play like Greg Koch...

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #590 on: Friday 12 April 2019, 01:50:29 PM »
Got some vintage compensated brass saddles for the Telecaster along with a Fender Patent 'ashtray' bridge plate.
Gonna fit them at the weekend.
The guitar sounds so great now, I'm a little reluctant to mess with it incase I can't find the 'sweet spot' intonally again.
But nevertheless I will do it...

Offline B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Only here for the GC.
« Reply #591 on: Friday 12 April 2019, 02:15:30 PM »
Currently eyeing up one of these, though I've got absolutely no business doing it.

Offline RodneyCisse

• General Member
  • <3
« Reply #592 on: Friday 12 April 2019, 09:01:50 PM »
The “through” body holes confuse me.

Reverend guitars are beauts through.
LGM

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #593 on: Saturday 13 April 2019, 04:04:13 PM »
Currently eyeing up one of these, though I've got absolutely no business doing it.

Very nice, reminds of of an Ibanez Artcore semi acoustic.

Offline Heake

• General Member
« Reply #594 on: Monday 15 April 2019, 11:02:27 AM »
invested in a pedal board upgrade on Saturday & Seen this crazy cat:

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/170201306960008-2295591--le-pape-l-steel-paul-junior-red-18174

I love a relic like, but these things look like they've been set on fire!!
(They probably have!)

I think they do resonators as well which would make sense given the steel bodies an that

Offline OCK

• General Member
« Reply #595 on: Saturday 20 April 2019, 08:26:03 PM »
I'm such a t***. I've had my JS1000 for 15 years, bought second hand from a person I worked with at the time... and only just discovered it has a high pass and coil split feature if you push/pull the volume or tone knobs.  :lol:

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #596 on: Monday 29 April 2019, 05:27:17 PM »
Got some vintage compensated brass saddles for the Telecaster along with a Fender Patent 'ashtray' bridge plate.
Gonna fit them at the weekend.
The guitar sounds so great now, I'm a little reluctant to mess with it incase I can't find the 'sweet spot' intonally again.
But nevertheless I will do it...

Did it.
Amazingly, the saddles didn't take too much adjusting for the intonation.
It still sounds superb.
I love this Telecaster. Are all the Mexican Teles this good?

Offline kingkerouac

• General Member
« Reply #597 on: Saturday 6 July 2019, 01:40:12 PM »
Got an unexpected cash windfall.
So many guitars, so much choice...
Can't decide between a Telecaster Baja - which look magnificent - or a Strat, which I don't currently have and have never played.
Suggestions?

Offline bigfella

• General Member
« Reply #598 on: Saturday 6 July 2019, 03:45:25 PM »
Can't decide between a Telecaster Baja - which look magnificent - or a Strat, which I don't currently have and have never played.
Suggestions?

You've got enough guitars.......What you really need is the ultimate rock amp. A Marshall JCM 800, all original early 80s valve combo with Celestion speakers type amp. I'm selling one.

Offline RodneyCisse

• General Member
  • <3
« Reply #599 on: Saturday 6 July 2019, 08:35:21 PM »
Suggestions?

Classic series Fenders selling cheap atm with the vintera series coming out, might be worth a look at.
LGM