Author Topic: Ireland  (Read 47428 times)

toonlass

Re: "The Twelfth" results in yet more violence.
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 14 July 2009, 04:35:32 PM »
Any chance of explaining the French Revolution using the Newcastle and Sunderland analogies?  :lol:

Offline ewerk

• General Member
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 14 July 2009, 04:41:46 PM »
The point is that if a parade as contentious was happening in any other part of the UK then it would either be banned or there would be a f*** load of trouble at it. The best course of action in avoiding such trouble is to ban the parade. That's not rocket science, unfortunately you're just too blinkered to see it.

Offline GeordieMessiah

• Forum Colossus
  • General Member
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 14 July 2009, 04:44:37 PM »
It's interesting just to note that violence seemed to decrease markedly during better economic times, but as soon as poverty rears its ugly head in times of recession, back we are amidst the violent scenes again.

I've no real agenda in saying this by the way. Not seeking to attribute any causes to this other than reminding people that such scenes of civil unrest are invarialbly linked with poverty or inequality.
Whether it's God or the bomb
It's just the same
It's only fear under another name
And the corporate snakes coming in to feed
On that pathetic fact known as human greed
Skin and bone being raked over those hot coals
This dump never seems to give time for human soul

Offline ewerk

• General Member
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 14 July 2009, 04:52:45 PM »
It's interesting just to note that violence seemed to decrease markedly during better economic times, but as soon as poverty rears its ugly head in times of recession, back we are amidst the violent scenes again.

I've no real agenda in saying this by the way. Not seeking to attribute any causes to this other than reminding people that such scenes of civil unrest are invarialbly linked with poverty or inequality.

That's an interesting theory.

However, one of the main reasons for things calming down during the marching season is because the Parades Commission have clamped down on Orange Order marches and re-routed many of them over the past few years in order to reduce the levels of tension. A lot of the trouble this year has been caused by the increased activity of the Real IRA and if we want to stop such splinter groups gaining more support then the Parades Commission has to stop allowing residents of nationalist areas being antagonised in such a way. It'd be great if they could just ignore the marches but it's just not going to happen.

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 14 July 2009, 05:07:30 PM »
They should really just f*** off back to their own country tbh.

Tiocfaidh ár lá.

Offline Decky

• General Member
  • ashleyout.com
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 14 July 2009, 05:07:42 PM »
:lol:
Steve Bruce, liar, s*** manager and general prick.

Offline GeordieMessiah

• Forum Colossus
  • General Member
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 14 July 2009, 05:14:23 PM »
They should really just f*** off back to their own country tbh.

Tiocfaidh ár lá.

Only a true "paddy" could have said that. :lol:
It's just the same

Offline Haz

• formerly known as Haswell
  • General Member
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 14 July 2009, 05:29:50 PM »
The anology of the Mackems in Newcastle was a decent one, except in N.I's case their beef is about the lesser item of War rather than a football match.

The Ulstermen could have shown the world that they were ready to compromise and join this century by ceasing the orange Parades.  Never going to happen I know, but annually rubbing other peoples noses in their own s***, is not grown up.  It betrays their religious past and their inability to merge with the present.

There will always be f***ing idiots on both sides but I think there is quite a lot to GM's appraisal of the econimic situation.  I mean when they arent hitting each other they are blaming immigrants (Forgetting of course that the denizens of the 6 counties mostly comprise of immigrants anyway)
Drinking alcohol never solves anything. But neither does drinking milk.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 14 July 2009, 09:09:39 PM »
The anology of the Mackems in Newcastle was a decent one, except in N.I's case their beef is about the lesser item of War rather than a football match.

The Ulstermen could have shown the world that they were ready to compromise and join this century by ceasing the orange Parades.  Never going to happen I know, but annually rubbing other peoples noses in their own s***, is not grown up.  It betrays their religious past and their inability to merge with the present.

There will always be f***ing idiots on both sides but I think there is quite a lot to GM's appraisal of the econimic situation.  I mean when they arent hitting each other they are blaming immigrants (Forgetting of course that the denizens of the 6 counties mostly comprise of immigrants anyway)
but banning the marches causes s*** anyway. if the orangemen feel the need to stress their freedom by marching through nationalist areas then the nationalists should march through orange areas. as yet the bother is caused because the nationalists see it as provocative and the orangemen see it that the nationalists are trying to prevent them marching freely. if the nationalists do a similar march then the both sides would be pressed into allowing the other side march and acknowledging their legitimacy.

this would never happen as there are too many fuckwits but at least then there is more legitimacy in banning the lot.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline Decky

• General Member
  • ashleyout.com
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 14 July 2009, 09:12:59 PM »
Ban the lot for public safety reasons, then the orange men will show their true colours. You might think it is mad disputing a decision that blatantly benefits public safety, but they would dispute it. Some of these orange men are loyalists so they arnt exactly saints.

Offline Coco

• General Member
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 14 July 2009, 09:49:38 PM »
He lives on the border of Dunegal in the countryside, it's very nice there so it's wrong for me to say I don't understand him missing it or whatever, but even having never seen ay of the troubles first hand I wouldn't want to be around when things started going off. Where are you Decky, Belfast?

Nah mate im in Newry. It is very similar to Derry, a largely nationalist community on the border. Ill be living in Belfast in September though, in a loyalist area too :lol: Ill have to give myself an alias, William or something.

You going to Uni Decky? I used to live off the Lisburn Rd (Tates Ave amongst other places), which is right beside a heavily Loyalist area, but had no major problems.

I do remember being terrified during the world cup in 2002 though :lol:
C won't believe us. But this is classic him.

CLASSIC Coco.

Offline Decky

• General Member
  • ashleyout.com
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 14 July 2009, 09:53:59 PM »
He lives on the border of Dunegal in the countryside, it's very nice there so it's wrong for me to say I don't understand him missing it or whatever, but even having never seen ay of the troubles first hand I wouldn't want to be around when things started going off. Where are you Decky, Belfast?

Nah mate im in Newry. It is very similar to Derry, a largely nationalist community on the border. Ill be living in Belfast in September though, in a loyalist area too :lol: Ill have to give myself an alias, William or something.

You going to Uni Decky? I used to live off the Lisburn Rd (Tates Ave amongst other places), which is right beside a heavily Loyalist area, but had no major problems.

I do remember being terrified during the world cup in 2002 though :lol:

Finishing Uni mate, im in 4th year this September.

Offline Mr. Snrub

• General Member
  • Messi
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 14 July 2009, 10:02:12 PM »
I agree that they should only parade through Loyalist areas.  It would save so much hassle and everyone wins.

The 12th of July parades are a great spectacle and if there was never any trouble at them it would be a great thing for the country, lots more tourists from other countries coming over to watch it etc..

Oh, and one of my mates brought his catholic girlfriend to the bonfire on Friday and she had the time of her life :lol:.  I couldn't believe it considering there are tricolours and what not being set on fire.  At one point he said to her "I feel like the f***ing fenian in this relationship now" ;D

Offline Decky

• General Member
  • ashleyout.com
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday 14 July 2009, 10:33:56 PM »
The bonfires are great, I used to love the 9th August bonfires back in the day.

Offline Incognito

• General Member
  • Get your hands off me you freak
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday 14 July 2009, 11:14:52 PM »

You ain't taking my name..... >:D
RIP gejon/cajun/ Jon Lockwood.

Proud to have made your acquaintance Sir.

Offline LesPaul

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Resident Star Wars Nut. Also Book w*****.
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday 14 July 2009, 11:37:18 PM »
Didn't the march come south one year and caused a riot in Dublin? Whatver about the North they are not welcome this side of the border

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday 14 July 2009, 11:48:55 PM »
Didn't the march come south one year and caused a riot in Dublin? Whatver about the North they are not welcome this side of the border
i know people from dublin who sneer on hearing a northern accent
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline Decky

• General Member
  • ashleyout.com
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday 14 July 2009, 11:57:56 PM »

A bit daft that, people in Donegal have a northern accent, also (obviously) some of us arnt loyalists.

Offline LesPaul

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Resident Star Wars Nut. Also Book w*****.
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday 15 July 2009, 12:00:55 AM »

A bit daft that, people in Donegal have a northern accent, also (obviously) some of us arnt loyalists.
Well I can safely say I don't sneer at yer accents and would glady have the lot of ye and yer counties in my country as it should be. But shur, that's life

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday 15 July 2009, 12:01:35 AM »

Most people from Dublin are cocks, in fairness.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday 15 July 2009, 12:03:23 AM »

it's a bit daft sneering at an accent. most can't help it an i prefer people to have accents than not have one.

(disclaimer.......scouse and welsh aren't accents....they are afflictions)

Offline Decky

• General Member
  • ashleyout.com
Re: Northern Ireland
« Reply #71 on: Thursday 27 August 2009, 12:26:38 AM »
Decided to keep this thread about all things NI in relation to terrorism/sectarianism etc.

There was a fair bit of trouble in South Armagh this week in a near by village. The RIRA set up an illegal road block, one that the police arrived to and left as they couldnt do anything. The RIRA had RPGs, machine guns, the works. They sent the following leaflet to the residents of this village:

South Armagh is the home of the IRA basically, but this is still quite shocking. This kind of thing hasnt been seen for years. It is quite intimidating as well as I live in a South Armagh village. I just wonder what they are planning as well, you get the feeling they are planning something big.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #72 on: Thursday 27 August 2009, 12:30:04 AM »
Decided to keep this thread about all things NI in relation to terrorism/sectarianism etc.

There was a fair bit of trouble in South Armagh this week in a near by village. The RIRA set up an illegal road block, one that the police arrived to and left as they couldnt do anything. The RIRA had RPGs, machine guns, the works. They sent the following leaflet to the residents of this village:

South Armagh is the home of the IRA basically, but this is still quite shocking. This kind of thing hasnt been seen for years. It is quite intimidating as well as I live in a South Armagh village. I just wonder what they are planning as well, you get the feeling they are planning something big.
does that mean they are in charge of the drug running there then as their thuggi mates do in belfast and portadown ?

Offline GeordieMessiah

• Forum Colossus
  • General Member
« Reply #73 on: Thursday 27 August 2009, 12:30:17 AM »
Nice leaflet. :kasper:
It's just the same

Offline Decky

• General Member
  • ashleyout.com
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 27 August 2009, 12:42:37 AM »
does that mean they are in charge of the drug running there then as their thuggi mates do in belfast and portadown ?

In a nut shell, if you deal over here you are in big trouble. A dealer lived just up the road from me a few years ago, he ended up taking about 5 bullets parking his car one night. The RIRA try and paint a picture that they are helping the community, but in reality they are probably* dealing themselves to fund their weapons etc and are taking out the competition.

*Wouldn't like to say they ARE.