Author Topic: The Stupid things your Lass has said thread  (Read 200010 times)

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
Re: The Stupid things your Lass has said thread.
« Reply #1200 on: Wednesday 8 August 2012, 10:24:45 PM »
:( as mentioned in this thread I think the vast majority just don't realise it's offensive.

I just knew the word in relation to Chinese food and never once stopped to think of it's real meaning, probably the definition of ignorance but to me it was like saying going for a McD's or going to a Weathers etc..  :undecided:

What i was trying to say but came over very badly  :undecided:

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #1201 on: Thursday 9 August 2012, 03:34:42 PM »
I only learnt the word chinky was racist when it was discussed on this forum, used to use it all the time before  :blush:

i'm married to a korean bird and our daughter is (presumably, ahem) half korean yet my folks will still think literally nothing of using the word chinkies when i'm around, or her for that matter

think they still say packies too for the local shop :lol:
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

n4e

« Reply #1202 on: Thursday 9 August 2012, 04:06:39 PM »
Chinky is alright, as it's a race of people and it's a food.

Offline WarrenBartonCentrePartin

• Boring James Milner
  • General Member
« Reply #1203 on: Thursday 9 August 2012, 04:22:55 PM »
I've never said "chinkies" and I've never said "paki shop".  Was always told both were derogatory.
Had a few dances off her when I've been in Blue velvet with friends. She's one of the ones who will push her fanny in your face, usually I like that but hers smells f***ing rotten. Only had dances off her because she agreed to take less money for the dances when me and my mate said we were skint.

I was a pure creep when I was a kid tbf. Used to spunk in deoderant can lids too

Offline gbandit

• General Member
« Reply #1204 on: Thursday 9 August 2012, 04:34:50 PM »
I've never said "chinkies" and I've never said "paki shop".  Was always told both were derogatory.
Always hated both words, just from how I was brought up. Also hated 'sp*****'. Not sure why, just found it really uncomfortable when people used it. More often that not, scum used these words which entrenched further how much I disliked them

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #1205 on: Thursday 9 August 2012, 04:35:40 PM »
my sons chinese friend called in today. my son had been banned from seeing him for a couple of weeks as they had been accused of bullying a boy (d)  .

so i tell chinese boy (m), if that boy d turns up my son (j) is not to play with him.

m says, I dont like him anymore, he called me a chinky.

so I say, Is that offensive like?

j- course it is dad , its racist.

m- yeah its offensive.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • let me in
« Reply #1206 on: Thursday 9 August 2012, 04:36:43 PM »
That's that settled then.

Offline wormy

• General Member
« Reply #1207 on: Thursday 9 August 2012, 04:36:52 PM »
Don't use any form of chink or paki. Strangely though, I end up using sp***** too much, and I always disappoint myself with the use. My mum's made it stringently clear in the past her dislike for forms of spack or spazz and the like due to her disability, and she was called that and worse as a child. Seems to be a part of my vocabulary from somewhere and I'm a terrible one for being stuck in old habits.

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #1208 on: Thursday 9 August 2012, 04:41:59 PM »
That's that settled then.

it is for me, hadnt used it for years anyway, looks like my kids have learned well.

tbh, I have tried to make sure they dont grow up using the language that was commonplace during my childhood.

Offline TheGuv

• General Member
« Reply #1209 on: Thursday 9 August 2012, 05:19:48 PM »
Words change.

The word gay is one for example. It means 'good as you' i think?

Loads of words people say without it meaning to be derogatory IMO. Like sp*****, Gay Lord (That always makes me laugh though. You're the Lord of the Gays ffs :lol:)

I do agree though that they shouldn't be used. I never say Chinky or Paki though, it just feels wrong. How it feels worse than the others mentioned? I don't know :dontknow:

Offline Dr Colossus

• General Member
  • (2nd) Best Newcomer 2012
« Reply #1210 on: Thursday 9 August 2012, 05:23:54 PM »
So, whose lass said that word then?

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #1211 on: Thursday 9 August 2012, 05:38:54 PM »
So, whose lass said that word then?

No ones, some lad posted that their mother said it and i tried to get it across (very badly i admit) that some folk use it in a none slur way to describe chinese takeaway.

« Reply #1212 on: Thursday 9 August 2012, 05:51:55 PM »
Words change.

Loads of words people say without it meaning to be derogatory IMO. Like sp*****, Gay Lord (That always makes me laugh though. You're the Lord of the Gays ffs :lol:)

I do agree though that they shouldn't be used. I never say Chinky or Paki though, it just feels wrong. How it feels worse than the others mentioned? I don't know :dontknow:

Gay hasn't changed, that' just the excuse people use. Gay means Gay. Happy or Homosexual.

The two aforementioned words describing the Chinese and Pakistanis are racist because they were created by racists. They're not the accepted collective terms and I'm guessing the Chinese and Pakistanis don't use them. No, they were created by whites to be derogatory towards someone of a certain race, to lump them all in together. They are not the same as calling someone a Brit, for example.

The vast majority of people will not hold the sentiment that these words were created with when they say them, but as Sifu says, back in the day that word had a meaning. That meaning hasn't disappeared and the best way to rid the world of them isn't to change it's meaning by using it innocently,. it's by just using a different word that means nothing but what you're trying to say. Eg. "Mmm, I would like some Cantonese food" No need to say anything else.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make

Offline Hanshithispantz

• General Member
« Reply #1213 on: Thursday 9 August 2012, 05:54:52 PM »
Gay and Retard are used so much in the media today it's just ridiculous tbh :lol:

I don't think there's a single film made nowadays where someone isn't insulted as being either gay or retarded

Offline Hanshithispantz

• General Member
« Reply #1214 on: Thursday 9 August 2012, 06:05:57 PM »
Words change.

The two aforementioned words describing the Chinese and Pakistanis are racist because they were created by racists. They're not the accepted collective terms and I'm guessing the Chinese and Pakistanis don't use them. No, they were created by whites to be derogatory towards someone of a certain race, to lump them all in together. They are not the same as calling someone a Brit, for example.
Calling a German a Nazi for example is the same if not worse though, but that is pretty much accepted as just a joke. We all just toe the line at the end of the day and whether or not a word has negative or racist connotations behind it we'll use them if they're widely viewed as being 'acceptable.' Paki & Chinky are quite clearly not, I would expect a clip if for some reason I said it when out.

Offline Keefaz

• General Member
« Reply #1215 on: Friday 10 August 2012, 12:14:59 AM »
There's a lass at work whose surname is Downs. "Downs?", I laughed and then got punched by another girl whose brother has Downs.

Offline Cajun

• General Member
« Reply #1216 on: Friday 10 August 2012, 12:19:18 AM »
There's a lass at work whose surname is Downs. "Downs?", I laughed and then got punched by another girl whose brother has Downs.

Feeling down? :(

Offline GeordieMessiah

• Forum Colossus
  • General Member
« Reply #1217 on: Friday 10 August 2012, 11:44:24 PM »
So really its not a stupid thing to say, its generally recognised as slang for Chinese takeaway and not meant as a racial slur.

Rather than justify yourself with quotes from a wiki, is it that hard just to say "a Chinese"? It's obviously offensive, indirectly or not.

Aye, Chink is offensive but the hypocrits on here don't mind doling out the term "Jock" instead of saying "Scottish" or "Scot". :undecided:

You cock. :lol:
Whether it's God or the bomb
It's just the same
It's only fear under another name
And the corporate snakes coming in to feed
On that pathetic fact known as human greed
Skin and bone being raked over those hot coals
This dump never seems to give time for human soul

Offline cfcmagpies

• General Member
« Reply #1218 on: Saturday 11 August 2012, 12:28:46 AM »
So really its not a stupid thing to say, its generally recognised as slang for Chinese takeaway and not meant as a racial slur.

Rather than justify yourself with quotes from a wiki, is it that hard just to say "a Chinese"? It's obviously offensive, indirectly or not.

Aye, Chink is offensive but the hypocrits on here don't mind doling out the term "Jock" instead of saying "Scottish" or "Scot". :undecided:

Jock is considered offensive?
"Whenever I have a nightmare it isn't in colour.  It's always black and white, the colours of the meanest, toughest  club ever to run on to a football field.  Collingwood.  I've laboured the point of my hatred of Collingwood and it isn't a friendly dislike - as a club they rankle me.  You couldn't like them, they think they are God's gift to football, they shun all outsiders and the only time I like to think of Collingwood is when they lose, because it hurts them so much. I've always been a bad loser, but I'm a good sport compared to Collingwood.  If they win they gloat, if they lose they hide themselves away and sulk.  When they lose they never visit your rooms or congratulate you and they'll send you round hot beer to have a drink.  I wouldn't drink anything they offered, you wouldn't know what they had done to it." Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer.

Offline Belfast Mags

• General Member
« Reply #1219 on: Saturday 11 August 2012, 12:30:42 AM »

You Jock  :lol:
Quote from: Mike
Am I really coming out of this thread the biggest asshole again?
:snod:

Offline GeordieMessiah

• Forum Colossus
  • General Member
« Reply #1220 on: Saturday 11 August 2012, 12:34:34 AM »

You Jock  :lol:

You daft Paddy. :lol:
It's just the same

Offline Belfast Mags

• General Member
« Reply #1221 on: Saturday 11 August 2012, 12:37:31 AM »
The Internet is fun :D
Quote from: Mike
Am I really coming out of this thread the biggest asshole again?
:snod:

Offline GeordieMessiah

• Forum Colossus
  • General Member
« Reply #1222 on: Saturday 11 August 2012, 12:48:19 AM »

Jock is considered offensive?

Yeah. It's really not fair dinkum, Bruce.
It's just the same

Offline newsted

• General Member
  • Everything Louder Than Everything Else. RIP Lemmy.
« Reply #1223 on: Saturday 11 August 2012, 02:23:47 AM »
I'm half Scots, can I be not offended by "Jock"? Don't know the rules here. Don't get offended by Sassenach when I go up there either, just tell them to f*** off and they seem OK ??? Definitely need some guidance as to how offended I need to feel and when, otherwise I'd just end up going about my daily life being happy and getting along fine with everyone, and obviously that wouldn't do.

Then of course my entire bloodline is Irish, so (deleted on legal advice).

No offence meant like.
:) As you were.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #1224 on: Saturday 11 August 2012, 02:28:03 AM »
if your entire bloodline is irish how are you half scots ?
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.