Author Topic: The cycling thread  (Read 110941 times)

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
Re: The cycling thread
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 9 July 2009, 02:50:11 PM »
well the bike shops were stowed off and it didn't need much so i've done it myself. just done a quick 2.5 mile to see if everything works (bike and self) and save for the front sprocket sticking a little when changing down, all seems ok except any little gradient,which im used to love, is going to kill me for a bit.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 9 July 2009, 03:11:14 PM »
well the bike shops were stowed off and it didn't need much so i've done it myself. just done a quick 2.5 mile to see if everything works (bike and self) and save for the front sprocket sticking a little when changing down, all seems ok except any little gradient,which im used to love, is going to kill me for a bit.

so where do you go riding in the wild west?

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 9 July 2009, 03:14:27 PM »
used to head towards either wylam and along the river, stamfordham or pontelnad then just follow sign posts to anywhere i thought might be interesting.

can't apparently get schwalbes marathons for my wheels (700*22) so am i looking at getting new wheels anyone ? hate and loathe punctures and they really put me off.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline wacko

• Ledge!
  • General Member
  • More poubelle
« Reply #53 on: Friday 10 July 2009, 04:41:21 PM »
used to head towards either wylam and along the river, stamfordham or pontelnad then just follow sign posts to anywhere i thought might be interesting.

can't apparently get schwalbes marathons for my wheels (700*22) so am i looking at getting new wheels anyone ? hate and loathe punctures and they really put me off.

The smallest you can get is 700*25. Won't they fit your frame? They really don't look much bigger than 22s.
Just realized you aren't Dave, dick. Now I gotta actually do s***.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #54 on: Friday 10 July 2009, 05:17:20 PM »

The smallest you can get is 700*25. Won't they fit your frame? They really don't look much bigger than 22s.
then it's the expense of buying new wheels. apparently they do 700*23's

Offline wacko

• Ledge!
  • General Member
  • More poubelle
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 11 July 2009, 01:17:38 PM »

Not in Marathon Plus. The website lists 700*25 as the smallest. Why would you need new wheels? They fit the same rims as 22s or 23s.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 11 July 2009, 01:40:06 PM »

Not in Marathon Plus. The website lists 700*25 as the smallest. Why would you need new wheels? They fit the same rims as 22s or 23s.

the *23's were in the catalogue at the shop.

whats the difference between 22's or 23's if they'll both fir on the same rim ? will 25's fit the wheels i have which have *22's on ?

Offline wacko

• Ledge!
  • General Member
  • More poubelle
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 11 July 2009, 02:42:30 PM »

whats the difference between 22's or 23's if they'll both fir on the same rim ? will 25's fit the wheels i have which have *22's on ?
If 23s fit, 25s will fit the rims 100%. You could maybe go up to 28 or 32mm. A given size of rim will accept a range of tyres much larger than the actual rim. For example, I have 622x15C rims (622 is another name for 700C) with 622x23mm tyres.

If your bike came with 23mm tyres, it's more likely that the tyres will be too big to fit through the forks/frame/brakes before they get too big for the rims.

Your best bet is to go to the local bike shop and they'll tell you exactly what sizes will fit your rims and frame.

The 23s you're looking at are probably normal Schwalbe Marathon, not Marathon Plus. Marathon Plus start at 25mm. There's no reason to go below 25 unless it's a proper racing bike. You really have to make sure such slim tyres are always well inflated or you'll damage a rim. That's another thing about the Marathon Pluses: they lose pressure very slowly.

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 11 July 2009, 08:38:32 PM »

If 23s fit, 25s will fit the rims 100%. You could maybe go up to 28 or 32mm. A given size of rim will accept a range of tyres much larger than the actual rim. For example, I have 622x15C rims (622 is another name for 700C) with 622x23mm tyres.

If your bike came with 23mm tyres, it's more likely that the tyres will be too big to fit through the forks/frame/brakes before they get too big for the rims.

Your best bet is to go to the local bike shop and they'll tell you exactly what sizes will fit your rims and frame.

The 23s you're looking at are probably normal Schwalbe Marathon, not Marathon Plus. Marathon Plus start at 25mm. There's no reason to go below 25 unless it's a proper racing bike. You really have to make sure such slim tyres are always well inflated or you'll damage a rim. That's another thing about the Marathon Pluses: they lose pressure very slowly.

may as well be talking chinese

lankybellwipe

« Reply #59 on: Saturday 11 July 2009, 08:41:42 PM »

And Swahili, at the same time!

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 11 July 2009, 09:04:21 PM »

you mean, sa-wheelie

lankybellwipe

« Reply #61 on: Saturday 11 July 2009, 09:06:55 PM »

you mean, sa-wheelie

:lol:

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 12 July 2009, 12:31:08 AM »

thanks for the help.

it's a dawes giro 400 about 10yrs old  but i'm not much of a racer,using it  solely for fitness. i've always put 22's on as that's what was on to start with but apparently they are harder to get now.

Offline Shearer9

• General Member
« Reply #63 on: Sunday 12 July 2009, 06:06:25 AM »
Just got a job driving a rickshaw, its pretty good fun tbh, pretty good money as well on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights.  On the very first ride I had though, I was ready to jump off and quit, its a whole different ballgame when people jump on the back.

Offline wacko

• Ledge!
  • General Member
  • More poubelle
« Reply #64 on: Sunday 12 July 2009, 08:17:51 AM »

thanks for the help.

it's a dawes giro 400 about 10yrs old  but i'm not much of a racer,using it  solely for fitness. i've always put 22's on as that's what was on to start with but apparently they are harder to get now.

You'll be all right with 25s on that (except if you have mudguards). If it's for fun rather than work, the Marathon Pluses might be a bit over the top. They're not the most comfortable tyres, but bomb-proof.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #65 on: Sunday 12 July 2009, 08:36:21 AM »

thanks for the help.

You'll be all right with 25s on that (except if you have mudguards). If it's for fun rather than work, the Marathon Pluses might be a bit over the top. They're not the most comfortable tyres, but bomb-proof.
they might be what i'm after. the fear of getting a puncture is what stops me going further away and i like to explore.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #66 on: Monday 13 July 2009, 10:39:39 AM »
so, that was my first little trip. 10.25miles in 38mins. couple of little climbs with a horrid one near the end when you haven't been on a bike for a while (kenton bank foot up to westerhope via newbiggin hall for anyone that knows it) and i don't feel too bad at all.

the question is will i do it tomorrow ?

Offline Mowen

• General Member
  • Sepp Blatter w*****
« Reply #67 on: Monday 13 July 2009, 10:42:21 AM »
so, that was my first little trip. 10.25miles in 38mins. couple of little climbs with a horrid one near the end when you haven't been on a bike for a while (kenton bank foot up to westerhope via newbiggin hall for anyone that knows it) and i don't feel too bad at all.

Yes; it'll be at least 4 days before you give up, never to do it again.
Under-21 coach David Platt added: "If Shola recognises what he's got, all hell could break loose."

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #68 on: Monday 13 July 2009, 10:45:14 AM »

Yes; it'll be at least 4 days before you give up, never to do it again.
4 days 4 days...we have 4 days...any advance on 4 days ladies and gentlemen...4 days at the back of the room.

Offline Karjala

• General Member
« Reply #69 on: Monday 13 July 2009, 08:47:12 PM »
Who's done C2C? What route? How many days? where did u stop over?

We are doing it in a few weeks, friday evening doing 20 miles, then full days sat and sunday.
Nothing will change under Fat Cashley.

Offline Tooj

• General Member
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday 22 July 2009, 06:49:37 PM »
Do you need a link to some good stabilisers Wacky lad?
"Elsewhere, at worst, modern commercial football could be seen as the mall rather than the circus; insidiously bland, decaffeinated and pre-packed, its relentless formulaic repetition an instrument for disabling consciousness rather than manipulating it."

David Goldblatt

Offline NE6

• General Member
  • Forum Member
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday 22 July 2009, 06:53:11 PM »
Do you need a link to some good stabilisers Wacky lad?

I was going to see if you had an old pair of callipers knocking about you could give me to re-hash in to some super light weight ones.

float one in

« Reply #73 on: Wednesday 22 July 2009, 07:04:39 PM »
Who's done C2C? What route? How many days? where did u stop over?

We are doing it in a few weeks, friday evening doing 20 miles, then full days sat and sunday.

Have done it a few times, its an absolutely class way to spend three or so days. We used to leave from Whitehaven or Workington (Whitehaven is better in my opinion) early in the morning, arriving at a camp site just outside Keswick around dusk. Second day we used to have a round of pitch and putt in Keswick in the morning, then up past Castlerigg and follow the main road along the North of the Lakes towards Pooley Bridge, where we'd spend the second night. Third day leave Pooley bridge, do the mammoth climb up to Hartside, down the other side into County Durham and end up at a place past Alston, the name of which I can't remember - its a tiny place with a tiny campsite, right at the foot of the Northern Pennines. Then up early on the fourth day, hoping for a clear day to enjoy the views up on the Pennines and then down hill all the way to Gateheed and follow the river to Tynemouth and home!

Offline Karjala

• General Member
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 23 July 2009, 08:36:26 AM »
Well the C2C weekend is sorted, doing it over 2 days with a stopover in Alston (hoping to find a pub that has Sky Sports and will show the nufc-Reading game)

Works out about 70 miles on day 1 and 65 on day 2, 8 hours a day steady away.
Nothing will change under Fat Cashley.