Author Topic: The cycling thread  (Read 110942 times)

Offline Decky

• General Member
Re: The cycling thread
« Reply #25 on: Friday 19 June 2009, 11:53:54 PM »
Turnbull is gonna come into this thread and rape all of you a new arsehole, especially Skirge :sadnod:
Steve Bruce, liar, s*** manager and general prick.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #26 on: Friday 19 June 2009, 11:57:24 PM »
Ah right. I've never planned anything over 10m where I pretty much already know which way I'm going.
really what i done was plotted a route i use to get to work and it sends me all over to get there....however i've put in a route i used to do via ponteland,belsay, down to stamfordham and back home (41mile as it turns out) and it let me use the A696
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Offline pedro111

• General Member
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 20 June 2009, 12:01:54 AM »
I always loved riding my bike when I was younger but I suffered one too many of the old stand up to pedal hard and fast, then your foot slips off the pedal making you crush your balls on the crossbar manoeuvres.  Far too painful for me that like.

Offline Decky

• General Member
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 20 June 2009, 12:08:56 AM »
I always loved riding my bike when I was younger but I suffered one too many of the old stand up to pedal hard and fast, then your foot slips off the pedal making you crush your balls on the crossbar manoeuvres.  Far too painful for me that like.

Worst was missing the pedal and the pedal goes round and wacks into your shin. I loved it too, and have a good bike, no where to take it though :(
Steve Bruce, liar, s*** manager and general prick.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 20 June 2009, 12:21:18 AM »
starting to cycle quite a bit and loving it

saves me a fortune in bus fares and is quicker as well

cycle to work through the week, cycle into town if picking or buying something, cycle to the gym

that site is great dave, i cycle 5.5 miles to work, so that's 11 miles everytime not bad, the more i do it, the more fitter i will get  :celb:

Offline Mowen

• General Member
  • Sepp Blatter w*****
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 20 June 2009, 12:23:19 AM »
The Mrs and I go quite regularly, we really enjoy it. We just got some budget mountain bikes and go on a 10.5m loop near home that incorporates varying surfaces and gradients.

www.mapmyrun.co.uk is a useful way of mapping out a route and tracking distances etc.

Does pretty much exactly the same thing, but I've always found http://www.mapometer.com/en/ much easier to use for making routes etc. Doesn't send you irritating emails all the time either.

Cheers, I'll have a look. I didn't register on mapmyrun like, so I don't know about the emails etc.

They f*** me right off. 3 a week! I've had about 6 emails for every time I've visited the site. Should unsubscribe really. The only difference with that site is that I've found myself having to cancel the entire route far less frequently which leads me to believe it's probably easier to use.
Under-21 coach David Platt added: "If Shola recognises what he's got, all hell could break loose."

Offline pedro111

• General Member
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 20 June 2009, 12:24:28 AM »

Worst was missing the pedal and the pedal goes round and wacks into your shin. I loved it too, and have a good bike, no where to take it though :(

Yep, forgot about that one, usually the crushing of the balls and the shin whack occur at almost the same instant!

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 20 June 2009, 12:26:03 AM »

cycle to work through the week, cycle into town if picking or buying something, cycle to the gym

that site is great dave, i cycle 5.5 miles to work, so that's 11 miles everytime not bad, the more i do it, the more fitter i will get  :celb:
the problem i have is it's all downhill (4mile or so) to work which is great when i'm starting at 5am....the problem is when i've done a 10hr shift,been awake since 4am, i don't want to be going uphill for 3 1/2 out of 4mile.
Bullshitters misrepresent themselves to their audience not as liars do, that is, by deliberately making false claims about what is true. In fact, bullshit need not be untrue at all.

Rather, bullshitters seek to convey a certain impression of themselves without being concerned about whether anything at all is true. They quietly change the rules governing their end of the conversation so that claims about truth and falsity are irrelevant.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 20 June 2009, 12:28:22 AM »

the problem i have is it's all downhill (4mile or so) to work which is great when i'm starting at 5am....the problem is when i've done a 10hr shift,been awake since 4am, i don't want to be going uphill for 3 1/2 out of 4mile.

yeah it's similar for me, downhill going there and uphill coming back

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 20 June 2009, 08:02:46 AM »

yeah it's similar for me, downhill going there and uphill coming back

i cycled to work for years when i had jobs, but one place was up hill all the way thier, and that was when KK was our manager, Its not good on a monday morning after some of them sunday away days.

Offline Rob W

• General Member
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 20 June 2009, 10:06:34 AM »
I see the usual collection of drug fiends are bleating about being banned from various comeptitions
The rapturous, wild & ineffable pleasure of drinking at someone else's expense

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 20 June 2009, 04:37:12 PM »
Just in from 12 miles, with the gimp and my lass.
fixed my puncture, only for the back gears to come apart when re-fitting wheel, what a nightmare,

;D on a farm track, when Gimp said, 'Im gonna ride on the grass cos the stones are scratching my new bike'.

Offline Skirge

• General Member
  • They Will Never Take My Cabaye
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 20 June 2009, 04:47:13 PM »
fixed my puncture, only for the back gears to come apart when re-fitting wheel, what a nightmare,

;D on a farm track, when Gimp said, 'Im gonna ride on the grass cos the stones are scratching my new bike'.

There's gota be a shedload of jokes in that story man I just don't know where to start.
:lol:

Offline Joe Dynamite

• General Member
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 20 June 2009, 05:16:49 PM »
I go up to Killin in Scotland with my dad every now and then and cycle round Glen Lyon etc. Very nice part of the world.

Anybody do the great North bike ride?

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 20 June 2009, 06:39:40 PM »

There's gota be a shedload of jokes in that story man I just don't know where to start.
:lol:

Aye,  on my way home with the new bike  i got a flat. I had to walk a couple of miles in the pissing down of rain.

Offline wacko

• Ledge!
  • General Member
  • More poubelle
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 20 June 2009, 07:42:29 PM »
Well it had to happen. I'm probably as unfit as I've ever been so I've resolved to have the bike fixed up and get out. I hate jogging. Love walking but being a non-driver as yet it's pretty boring walking round the west end and public transport can't be trusted to get me back sharpish if needed by the kids. So the bike it is.

Who else likes cycling...where do you go etc ?

in particlar anyone use those kevlar lined tyres (schwalbe marathons/armadillos....contis etc) what they like as i hate getting punctures.
Get the Schwalbe Marathon Plus. They've got a massive liner to protect them from punctures. I've been riding them for about 5 years without any flats, and I've pulled some huge pieces of glass out of the tyres.

Yesterday I got back from a 2-week bike camping tour through Holland and Belgium. It was boss. I took the train most of the way (didn't have 3 weeks), and cycled about 250-300 miles. Next time, I'm taking much less stuff with me.

Just realized you aren't Dave, dick. Now I gotta actually do s***.

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 20 June 2009, 08:03:53 PM »
Well it had to happen. I'm probably as unfit as I've ever been so I've resolved to have the bike fixed up and get out. I hate jogging. Love walking but being a non-driver as yet it's pretty boring walking round the west end and public transport can't be trusted to get me back sharpish if needed by the kids. So the bike it is.

in particlar anyone use those kevlar lined tyres (schwalbe marathons/armadillos....contis etc) what they like as i hate getting punctures.
Get the Schwalbe Marathon Plus. They've got a massive liner to protect them from punctures. I've been riding them for about 5 years without any flats, and I've pulled some huge pieces of glass out of the tyres.

Yesterday I got back from a 2-week bike camping tour through Holland and Belgium. It was boss. I took the train most of the way (didn't have 3 weeks), and cycled about 250-300 miles. Next time, I'm taking much less stuff with me.

cheers for the tip , on the tyres. I lined mine out with upholstery rubber webbing and really did reduce the number of flatties i was getting.

would like to do some riding round the lake district sometime.

Offline wacko

• Ledge!
  • General Member
  • More poubelle
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 21 June 2009, 11:45:27 PM »

cheers for the tip , on the tyres. I lined mine out with upholstery rubber webbing and really did reduce the number of flatties i was getting.

The Marathon Plus are indestructible. You don't need anything else. The old set I chucked away last week had holes in them a 1/4 inch wide and nearly twice as deep and they were still nowhere near the inner tube.

Obviously, you still have to check them for pieces of glass, flints etc. and pull them out, or they'll eventually work their way through.

Sod riding in England. Hop on a ferry to Holland. It's not only as flat as a pancake, but it's generally a cyclist's paradise, with wonderful, well signposted routes EVERYWHERE.

Also, they have coffee shops. I like coffee.

Offline madras

• Philosoraptor
  • General Member
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 21 June 2009, 11:46:54 PM »

The Marathon Plus are indestructible. You don't need anything else. The old set I chucked away last week had holes in them a 1/4 inch wide and nearly twice as deep and they were still nowhere near the inner tube.

Obviously, you still have to check them for pieces of glass, flints etc. and pull them out, or they'll eventually work their way through.

Sod riding in England. Hop on a ferry to Holland. It's not only as flat as a pancake, but it's generally a cyclist's paradise, with wonderful, well signposted routes EVERYWHERE.

whats the ride like with those tyres ? does it feel like they are dragging at all ?

wanting to use on a dawes road bike.

Offline wacko

• Ledge!
  • General Member
  • More poubelle
« Reply #44 on: Monday 22 June 2009, 05:54:27 PM »

whats the ride like with those tyres ? does it feel like they are dragging at all ?

wanting to use on a dawes road bike.

Hmm. Hard to say. I have really good racing tyres on my racer, and it rides much better, but I couldn't say how much of that is down to the racing rubber and how much is down to the steel frame (vs aluminium). I can't even swap the wheels to find out because my tourer is Shimano and my racer Campag (natch).

Certainly, they're far from the most supple tyres, but I've never felt as if they were slowing me down, and they are virtually puncture proof. I'll let you know what my old fella says after he puts a set on his bike tomorrow (he's sick of punctures).

Personally, I wouldn't put them on my racer, but my racer is just for fun. The bike I ride to work and long distances with has Marathon Pluses. Being half an hour late to a class and covered in crap is just something I can't be doing with.

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #45 on: Monday 22 June 2009, 09:30:02 PM »
Went tpo the gym tonight, done some weights, some treadmill work and bike work.  Got home and thought f*** it, jumped on my bike and f***ed off for a bit.  6.32 miles. And i had to do the washing up and make the evening meal!

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #46 on: Monday 22 June 2009, 09:49:06 PM »
Went tpo the gym tonight, done some weights, some treadmill work and bike work.  Got home and thought f*** it, jumped on my bike and f***ed off for a bit.  6.32 miles. And i had to do the washing up and make the evening meal!

Is it a bird?, is it a plane?, no its super Gimp.

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #47 on: Monday 22 June 2009, 09:50:23 PM »
i'm done in now tho, back out tomorrow as ell.

Offline cp40

• General Member
« Reply #48 on: Monday 22 June 2009, 09:53:05 PM »
i'm done in now tho, back out tomorrow as ell.

gis a shout, my lass on a course on tuesday nights. i could go as 'ell'

Offline Northerngimp

• Brexit W*nker
  • General Member
« Reply #49 on: Monday 22 June 2009, 10:11:24 PM »
Ok, will do.