Author Topic: The Car Thread  (Read 301242 times)

Offline relámpago blanco

• Likes gambling
  • General Member
  • aka Gorilla
Re: The Car Thread
« Reply #6625 on: Monday 14 September 2020, 09:22:55 PM »
Think you’re better off going through a broker who get deals from finance companies, than a dealer. EVs are 0% BIK if you can get your employer to take on the lease and give you it as a company car instead of the allowance.
I got 0% from BMW.  PLus they f***ed me over with the first car so much I ended up getting quite a lot back in payment holidays.

Offline bobbydazzla

• General Member
« Reply #6626 on: Tuesday 15 September 2020, 09:40:16 AM »
I'd always go for leasing, but you've got to do your research, watch for deals like a hawk and react immediately when something suitable comes up.
All of my leases have been on in-stock cars and I got the local dealerships to match the best deals I'd seen at online brokers.

If you've got your heart set on a specific model or spec then leasing can be tricky, as you need to be very lucky. But if you can be open minded e.g. German, estate, neutral colour then you should be ok.

And the rule of thumb for working out if a 2 year lease deal is good value is:

Add up the up-front payment, all monthlies and any finance fee.
Divide that number by the typical forecourt price of the car to work out the %.

Less than 20% = great deal
20-25% = OK deal
25% upwards = poor deal

Offline ED209

• insano
  • General Member
« Reply #6627 on: Saturday 19 September 2020, 07:09:07 PM »
Wasn’t going to get another lease car but came across an ace deal on Friday

Audi A5 sportback 35tdi s line for 24 months 10000 miles a year for 17.8% of list price.

It’s an emergency services deal direct from Audi, my finance is approved hopefully my order will be confirmed with an order number on Monday.

I was just going to buy a cheaper car but I the current climate it’s too good a deal to pass up, even if I am getting it in recession white which is something I said I would never do.

In the end what you remember are not the words of your enemies but the silence of your friends.

Offline Pixelphish

• General Member
« Reply #6628 on: Saturday 19 September 2020, 08:41:09 PM »
I'm in an M140 now. First RWD and first car north of 300hp.

Jesus christ.
Aye. Just felt I did it at the same time as you and you came out tops every time. Just in a bad mood now after Pixelhax.

Have to get this out now:

Pixel you're either hacking with the demo, or you're too f***ing good to constantly hammer us to the ground with it every time we play. Starts to take the p*ss a bit. I mean, I don't want you to not enjoy the game, but at the same time I'd quite like to enjoy playing it too.

Offline Lazarus

• General Member
« Reply #6629 on: Saturday 19 September 2020, 09:37:45 PM »

Jesus christ.

Nice knowing you mate

Offline relámpago blanco

• Likes gambling
  • General Member
  • aka Gorilla
« Reply #6630 on: Sunday 20 September 2020, 01:58:19 PM »

Jesus christ.
Nice
Auto or manual?

Offline Hhtoon

• General Member
« Reply #6631 on: Sunday 20 September 2020, 04:44:50 PM »

Jesus christ.

I had an old 300zx fairlady (3L twin turbo and tuned to over 300 bhp) which was rear wheel drive. I needed her to pick me and some mates up from the airport and warned her to take it easy in the wet - she assured me she'd be fine as her Z3 (2 seater) was also rear wheel drive.

She made it a mile from home before spinning it in to a dual carriageway central reservation off a roundabout  :lol:  :lol:

Offline Pixelphish

• General Member
« Reply #6632 on: Sunday 20 September 2020, 05:58:02 PM »

Jesus christ.
Nice
Auto or manual?

Went for the auto. It's half play thing half daddy wagon for my first child so the ZF box in comfort will be nice when I have to be sensible. It's just relentlessly quick. I've no idea how you boys in the proper M cars keep your licenses :lol:
Aye. Just felt I did it at the same time as you and you came out tops every time. Just in a bad mood now after Pixelhax.

Have to get this out now:

Pixel you're either hacking with the demo, or you're too f***ing good to constantly hammer us to the ground with it every time we play. Starts to take the p*ss a bit. I mean, I don't want you to not enjoy the game, but at the same time I'd quite like to enjoy playing it too.

Offline relámpago blanco

• Likes gambling
  • General Member
  • aka Gorilla
« Reply #6633 on: Sunday 20 September 2020, 06:58:59 PM »

Jesus christ.
Nice
Auto or manual?

Went for the auto. It's half play thing half daddy wagon for my first child so the ZF box in comfort will be nice when I have to be sensible. It's just relentlessly quick. I've no idea how you boys in the proper M cars keep your licenses :lol:
Good choice, anyone who tells you a manual is better is 20-30 years out of date.  In yours the auto is 0.2 seconds quicker to 60 meaning 0-60 is 4.6. In mine it's 0.5 quicker.  Mine isn't much faster than yours in a straightline btw its 4.0.  I've never driven an m140 but I had a 240 for a couple of weeks once and it was rapid.

Offline Hhtoon

• General Member
« Reply #6634 on: Sunday 20 September 2020, 07:51:40 PM »

Jesus christ.
Nice
Auto or manual?

Good choice, anyone who tells you a manual is better is 20-30 years out of date.  In yours the auto is 0.2 seconds quicker to 60 meaning 0-60 is 4.6. In mine it's 0.5 quicker.  Mine isn't much faster than yours in a straightline btw its 4.0.  I've never driven an m140 but I had a 240 for a couple of weeks once and it was rapid.

What's your definition of "better"? Just faster? Manuals can be way more fun to drive...depends what you want I suppose.

Our family car is an automatic so certainly not knocking them but depending on purpose then a manual still has its place.

Offline relámpago blanco

• Likes gambling
  • General Member
  • aka Gorilla
« Reply #6635 on: Sunday 20 September 2020, 08:03:13 PM »

Jesus christ.
Nice
Auto or manual?

What's your definition of "better"? Just faster? Manuals can be way more fun to drive...depends what you want I suppose.

Our family car is an automatic so certainly not knocking them but depending on purpose then a manual still has its place.
@Hhtoon for modern performance cars an automatic is better as if you get a manual now you are throwing away a hell of a lot of performance.  My car has 2 clutches for example and I only have 2 legs and 2 arms.  If I was buying a 70's corvette which I am trying to for example I would buy a manual.

Manuals are fun but if you buy a performance car you want it to be as good as it can be and my car is half a second slower to 60 with the manual and that's a professional drivers time.  For your average person you'll probably be losing a second or more.  Half a second to a second doesn't sound like much but you can feel it massively at the sharper end of 0-60 times.