Author Topic: The Car Thread  (Read 250282 times)

Offline Shay's Given Tim Flowers

• General Member
  • Stephen f***ing Hawkinson
Re: The Car Thread
« Reply #6375 on: Monday 3 December 2018, 07:52:22 pm »
Have been forced to turn off the traction control in my car. Fun times ahead.

Offline Kid Icarus

• General Member
« Reply #6376 on: Monday 3 December 2018, 08:02:03 pm »
I'm looking at finally getting a car in the new year and would ideally like to get a nearly new used car, but don't really know exactly what I'm looking for. I'm tempted to go for an Audi, possibly the A3 Sportback, purely because I've always liked the look of Audis, they seem to hold their value well, and I want something that'll last. I'm just not sure whether the difference in quality over a Ford or Vauxhall or whatever is really worth it. Any tips?

My car mates tell me this is the best used car on the market just now.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201811162477016?make=VOLVO&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&radius=1500&price-from=7000&postcode=dh96yz&price-to=13000&advertising-location=at_cars&sort=price-desc&page=1

I've thought about it, but my main worry is being charged for any little bits of damage to the car when giving it back. Last year we borrowed my girlfriend's dad's car for a while and ended up with a ding in the side of it because of some bellend that hit it and drove off. We've got a dog as well so I'd worry about him maybe causing damage too.

If the worst does happen there are plenty of body repair shops that'll do a lease run over and repair scratches, etc at a fraction of the price, before you return your car. Though saying that don't waste your time worrying about what-ifs.

Anyone bother with multi season tyres? I need to replace two tyres on my car I can get the same Dunlop tyres that came with the car for £85 a tyre, but my local kwikfit have an offer an some Michelin Cross Climate tyres so only £95 a tyre for those.

I've got Goodyear Vector 4 seasons Gen2 tyres on my Qashqai automatic  and they were the dog's bollocks in last winter's snow and ice. Don't notice any drawbacks in the finer weather, so would thoroughly recommend.

Finally took the plunge and got my wheels refurbed and some decent Goodyear tyres (B/A rated) and it's like driving a new car. Not driving round on half flat budget tyres and having to pump them all up once a week was definitely worth the money.

Cheers for the feedback, seems I actually need 4 new tyres as the front are more worn that I though, might look at the 4 seasons but £400 is a big outlay before xmas. Hopefully someone can do me a deal on them.

I'm looking at finally getting a car in the new year and would ideally like to get a nearly new used car, but don't really know exactly what I'm looking for. I'm tempted to go for an Audi, possibly the A3 Sportback, purely because I've always liked the look of Audis, they seem to hold their value well, and I want something that'll last. I'm just not sure whether the difference in quality over a Ford or Vauxhall or whatever is really worth it. Any tips?

I've got a A3 Sportback 2.0Tdi Stronic and its brilliant, loads of space easy to drive and great MPG. Have a look at www.motorpoint.co.uk I got mine for £14k (traded in my old car to make is £6.5k) with only 8k miles on in perfect condition. If you get one get the S-tronic its so so good. Saying that Motorpoint seem to have no s-tronics right now but if you can wait I'd keep checking their site.

Only just seen these now. Cheers fellas. :thup:
{o,o}
|)__)
-“-“-

Offline GeordieMessiah

• Forum Colossus
  • General Member
« Reply #6377 on: Tuesday 4 December 2018, 03:31:26 pm »
Is there any point in buying a year's warranty for a 4 year old Skoda Yeti? £350 seems a lot of money to cough up for something which you may not have any reason to use...

You already know the answer to this GM. You do buy it, prepare for a trouble free year of motoring, sailing down motorways without a care in the world. You fail to buy it and the engine will drop out as you reverse off your drive.

You've read this script before....

Took the car in yesterday so the garage could take a look at why the exhaust inspection system warning light was coming up on my dashboard. Only done 25,000 in my 2014 Yeti, so was a bit perplexed. Just had the call back there that it needs a new throttle valve, apparently because of carbon build up and it would've set me back about £450 if I hadn't taken out the warranty cover. So I guess I owe Minhosa a drink...
Whether it's God or the bomb
It's just the same
It's only fear under another name
And the corporate snakes coming in to feed
On that pathetic fact known as human greed
Skin and bone being raked over those hot coals
This dump never seems to give time for human soul

Offline Minhosa

• General Member
« Reply #6378 on: Tuesday 4 December 2018, 03:52:01 pm »
Is there any point in buying a year's warranty for a 4 year old Skoda Yeti? £350 seems a lot of money to cough up for something which you may not have any reason to use...

You already know the answer to this GM. You do buy it, prepare for a trouble free year of motoring, sailing down motorways without a care in the world. You fail to buy it and the engine will drop out as you reverse off your drive.

You've read this script before....

Took the car in yesterday so the garage could take a look at why the exhaust inspection system warning light was coming up on my dashboard. Only done 25,000 in my 2014 Yeti, so was a bit perplexed. Just had the call back there that it needs a new throttle valve, apparently because of carbon build up and it would've set me back about £450 if I hadn't taken out the warranty cover. So I guess I owe Minhosa a drink...

:lol: Get in!

Online POOT

• General Member
  • Don't do yersel. It's a dig.
« Reply #6379 on: Tuesday 4 December 2018, 08:31:32 pm »
Awesome :aww:
Never look down on someone, unless you're helping them up!

Offline Papavasiliou

• General Member
« Reply #6380 on: Wednesday 5 December 2018, 10:46:54 am »

Always makes me nervous when I read stuff like this. Expensive faults and stuff breaking on cars newer than mine always gets me wondering if there's anything knackered that I've not even noticed.

Took my first ever car into the garage once because I couldn't get it to go over 30 even with my foot on the floor. They called me back a few hours later and asked how the f*** I'd even got it there. The ECU was f***ed and it had gone into limp mode hence the low speed, but even worse it turned out I'd (at some point) killed both front shocks and completely snapped one coil spring. They couldn't understand how I'd driven it there. Didn't have the heart to tell them the ECU thing had been happening for a week and I genuinely had no idea when the suspension had gone. I'd just been fumbling my way to work and back trying to avoid any roads with a speed limit over 40.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #6381 on: Wednesday 5 December 2018, 10:51:25 am »
I ended up getting a service plan for my car as last service was 800 quid or something, interest free and saved a couple of quid on each service (covers 2 years), keeps main dealer service history as well.
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #6382 on: Wednesday 5 December 2018, 10:54:25 am »
We were looking at nearly new just purely because of the saving on the overall car price, but still being able to do it with finance. The budget is up to £300ish a month all in, I think, so say £200 a month for the car finance. We'll be looking to keep it for maybe 5 years, possibly longer depending on miles and reliability.

There are some good deals on new cars or almost new cars with some good warranties, that’s what I’d be looking for if I was going to keep a car for 5 years. Peace of mind with a good long warranty.

Offline ED209

• insano
  • General Member
« Reply #6383 on: Wednesday 5 December 2018, 11:12:29 am »
This looks a magnificently cheap lease deal, Never been a Jag man myself but Its a 45k car which is well specced and has 250hp so a little over £300 a month once the deposit is factored in to run around in it for 2 years seems a steal! If i didn't have 9 months to go on my current lease i would be ordering one.

https://www.1stchoicevehicleleasing.co.uk/personal-lease-cars/jaguar/xf-estate/xf-sportbrake-20-i-250-portfolio-5dr-auto-start-stop-395401368
In the end what you remember are not the words of your enemies but the silence of your friends.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • plus d'argent, plus de problemes
« Reply #6384 on: Wednesday 5 December 2018, 11:18:02 am »
It's really annoying that automatic cars are miles more expensive. For lease you're usually talking at least £50-100 a month more.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #6385 on: Wednesday 5 December 2018, 11:29:14 am »
This looks a magnificently cheap lease deal, Never been a Jag man myself but Its a 45k car which is well specced and has 250hp so a little over £300 a month once the deposit is factored in to run around in it for 2 years seems a steal! If i didn't have 9 months to go on my current lease i would be ordering one.

https://www.1stchoicevehicleleasing.co.uk/personal-lease-cars/jaguar/xf-estate/xf-sportbrake-20-i-250-portfolio-5dr-auto-start-stop-395401368

Best looking estate car out there IMO.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #6386 on: Wednesday 5 December 2018, 11:36:19 am »
It's really annoying that automatic cars are miles more expensive. For lease you're usually talking at least £50-100 a month more.

yeah we need one, think it added 1-2k to the cost of the one we just got or something
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline ED209

• insano
  • General Member
« Reply #6387 on: Wednesday 5 December 2018, 12:14:18 pm »

Because auto is generally an option not standard and you almost always pay for the whole price of the option over your lease deal. For example adding metallic paint added about £25 a month to my lease cost - about 8% wish of the total lease cost!
In the end what you remember are not the words of your enemies but the silence of your friends.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #6388 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 08:53:00 am »
We were looking at nearly new just purely because of the saving on the overall car price, but still being able to do it with finance. The budget is up to £300ish a month all in, I think, so say £200 a month for the car finance. We'll be looking to keep it for maybe 5 years, possibly longer depending on miles and reliability.

There are some good deals on new cars or almost new cars with some good warranties, that’s what I’d be looking for if I was going to keep a car for 5 years. Peace of mind with a good long warranty.

Main reason I went for new - 10 year warranty on mine, probably longer than I'll keep this car.

Because auto is generally an option not standard and you almost always pay for the whole price of the option over your lease deal. For example adding metallic paint added about £25 a month to my lease cost - about 8% wish of the total lease cost!

Aye, other way round here - automatics are standard, manuals tend to only be available on the pricier GT models.

Offline LoveItIfWeBeatU

• General Member
« Reply #6389 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 12:26:54 pm »
https://www.motoringresearch.com/advice/maintenance/diesel-particulate-filters-problem/

How to avoid a blocked DPF

To avoid a blocked DPF, you can start by not buying an inappropriate car. Typically, if you drive less than 12,000 miles a year, a petrol, hybrid or electric vehicle would be more suitable for your needs.

Diesel cars are more expensive to buy and tend to be more economical on longer trips, making them unsuitable for short trips and urban driving.

If you’re driving a diesel car with a DPF fitted, read the manual to understand whether your vehicle uses passive or active regeneration, and make sure you know how to look after the filter. Using the right engine oil is very important.

The RAC says that performance modifications can damage a DPF, as can the use of low-quality fuel. Even running the car low on diesel can cause problems as the car may avoid regeneration to save fuel.
Thier is not a word. "Their" is the correct spelling.

Win, Lose or Draw. NOT "Loose"!

Offline The College Dropout

• General Member
  • The Look Of Satisfaction
« Reply #6390 on: Thursday 6 December 2018, 01:53:10 pm »
Lease options looking very good atm.

If the offers are still good i'll be tempted to get one for my 30th birthday.

Lease options on what? - Deals all round are actually pretty poor at the moment however VW arteons look cheap (if they manage to deliver them) and there's some absolutely cheap as chips deals around on 1 litre skoda octavias. Also seen some cheap deals on alfa giulias in last few days for about £300 a month, look really nice. I would order one myself but i need an estate.

https://leasing.com/independent-brokers/kew-vehicle-leasing-limited/skoda/octavia/330473484/

Astra elites (200hp) have been cheap for a while

https://www.nationwidevehiclecontracts.co.uk/car-leasing/vauxhall/astra/astra/1-6t-16v-200-elite-nav

Friend of mine said he saw a BMW 3 Series M Sport for 1k deposit and £300/350 a month.

Offline Gorilla

• Likes gambling
  • General Member
« Reply #6391 on: Yesterday at 09:54:42 am »
Just bought a new M4 competition package.. can't wait.  It's a stock car so already been built but not registered so I get it next Friday.

Offline ED209

• insano
  • General Member
« Reply #6392 on: Yesterday at 10:56:32 am »
Just bought a new M4 competition package.. can't wait.  It's a stock car so already been built but not registered so I get it next Friday.

Nice.