Author Topic: The Car Thread  (Read 301957 times)

Offline LoveItIfWeBeatU

• General Member
Re: The Car Thread
« Reply #6350 on: Thursday 30 January 2020, 08:09:21 PM »
Has insurance gone up a lot across the board? Mine has gone up by over £150, can't see any reason. Even comparison sites don't deliver any savings.

"Car insurance costs are expected to accelerate due to a rule change to compensation payouts"

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/car-insurance/

£150 sounds like a huge rise.
Thier is not a word. "Their" is the correct spelling.

Win, Lose or Draw. NOT "Loose"!

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #6351 on: Thursday 30 January 2020, 09:05:51 PM »
Has insurance gone up a lot across the board? Mine has gone up by over £150, can't see any reason. Even comparison sites don't deliver any savings.

Aye the wife’s by about 100.
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #6352 on: Thursday 30 January 2020, 09:34:59 PM »
Incoming...

Pending a thorough test drive and getting a better part ex price on mine that is!

Might get a divorce thrown in for free as well :lol:

Offline midds

• Administrator
« Reply #6353 on: Thursday 30 January 2020, 09:42:38 PM »
The front 7/8ths of it look lovely. The last 2 foot look awful. Big fat arse on it.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #6354 on: Thursday 30 January 2020, 09:49:08 PM »
The front 7/8ths of it look lovely. The last 2 foot look awful. Big fat arse on it.

It’s a big car no doubt and not the best looking, but it’s the ultimate car in terms of luxury, tech and performance.

Offline midds

• Administrator
« Reply #6355 on: Thursday 30 January 2020, 10:00:12 PM »

It’s a big car no doubt and not the best looking, but it’s the ultimate car in terms of luxury, tech and performance.

Fair enough then tbh :thup:

A5 sportback appeals to me personally but each to their own, hope it hits the spot chap.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #6356 on: Thursday 30 January 2020, 10:17:36 PM »

Looking at it, it needs a spoiler to be honest for the rear, the previous owner just about paid for every optional extra minus the 2k optional carbon spoiler,  and I don’t blame him/her. I can get an identikit non carbon after-market one for a few hundred and sprayed to match by my body repair/mechanic who looks after our vans for a further 100 quid quite easily. I think it would set it off nicely like the spoiler on my current car does which the previous owner did pay 2k for.

The red calipers I had on my CLS which I had painted from silver, and regretted it. I’ll get them matt grey like the ones on my current car and maybe change the wheels to silver as black on black I’m not so sure about. Mind if it has the ceramic calipers I’ll not be buying it, they are like 3k a corner to replace and the discs and pads are more expensive too than the standard ones.

I’m awaiting further info on full spec etc.

If I get it I’ll de badge it because it could easily pass as just a generic s class and I’ll remove the MB bonnet thing too as I’m certain some t*** will try and snap it off anyway eventually and they are costly to replace with OEM parts.

In the flesh they have a certain presence about them and are good looking cars for their length and bulk. Inside, well... you’re talking the height of luxury, tech and indeed safety.

I’m trying to sell myself it I know :lol:

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #6357 on: Thursday 30 January 2020, 10:56:08 PM »

A5 sportback appeals to me personally but each to their own, hope it hits the spot chap.

Cheers, I’m not an Audi fan but they make great cars and I’ve looked at a few RS versions in the past and an RS4 does make me itch, but not over anything AMG produced. It’s sad I know but I think I’m probably gonna be one of those ‘I’m a Mercedes man’ type blokes for the rest of my driving life now, old or new.

It makes it much easier that I know these cars, know a great independent mechanic local, am a member of a great owners forum community and know if maintained, not hammered, looked after and you can get a decent level of warranty cover and a service plan in place, the only big costs are fuel and wear and tear items like tyres, brakes etc, but even then they can be sourced for far cheaper than you’d think. They are surprisingly (as are most modern top end cars not blighted by design faults/failures) not as expensive to own, run and enjoy as any other car really unless you’re talking Ferrari’s or something.

Offline Papavasiliou

• General Member
« Reply #6358 on: Friday 31 January 2020, 12:24:24 PM »

Cheers, I’m not an Audi fan but they make great cars and I’ve looked at a few RS versions in the past and an RS4 does make me itch, but not over anything AMG produced. It’s sad I know but I think I’m probably gonna be one of those ‘I’m a Mercedes man’ type blokes for the rest of my driving life now, old or new.

It makes it much easier that I know these cars, know a great independent mechanic local, am a member of a great owners forum community and know if maintained, not hammered, looked after and you can get a decent level of warranty cover and a service plan in place, the only big costs are fuel and wear and tear items like tyres, brakes etc, but even then they can be sourced for far cheaper than you’d think. They are surprisingly (as are most modern top end cars not blighted by design faults/failures) not as expensive to own, run and enjoy as any other car really unless you’re talking Ferrari’s or something.

Had a go in a mates RS4 once. That thing can f***ing launch.

You know that scene in Naked Gun where he gets in the car with the learner driver and tells her to step on it and you see him melt into the back seat, it's basically like that off every light.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #6359 on: Friday 31 January 2020, 02:28:16 PM »
Got the insurance down to about a £50 rise after contacting them. Luckily they didn't ask me about other quotes because comparison sites were even more expensive :lol:

I didn't know it was so much cheaper getting it earlier either, I waited until the day before. That's a top tip.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #6360 on: Friday 31 January 2020, 06:01:24 PM »
How much are you paying? Nee idea if you've halved the price or taken 2% off.

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #6361 on: Friday 31 January 2020, 07:18:57 PM »
Went up from £330 to nearly £500. Ending up paying just under £400.

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
« Reply #6362 on: Friday 31 January 2020, 07:22:09 PM »
For 1 (small?) car for a year?

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #6363 on: Friday 31 January 2020, 07:24:41 PM »
Yep, with 12 years no claims bonus.

I live in SE London, imagine it's rife with accidents and car crime.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #6364 on: Monday 10 February 2020, 07:13:07 PM »

Had a go in a mates RS4 once. That thing can f***ing launch.

You know that scene in Naked Gun where he gets in the car with the learner driver and tells her to step on it and you see him melt into the back seat, it's basically like that off every light.

They are machines like, and meant to handle superb. Audi’s just seem to lack some kind of soul/emotion for me for some reason. I’d probably love an RS4/6 estate though and prices seem to be falling.

Regarding the S63, I wasn’t happy with the dealer’s valuation of my car so I withdrew my offer. Shame as their car ticks all the boxes if I’m to get such a car.

I’d get decent money for mine selling privately, but I can’t be arsed dealing with the private car market, buying or selling.

I’d just be in the same situation as I am now with mine with an S63 2 years down the line anyway.

I have that itch though.

My retro 5 series won’t go into reverse or park so it’s booked in for a look at with our van fleet mechanic, hopefully it’s just transmission oil/service related and not anything major. Drives like a dream still mind other than that even when not driven for a month as it’s not been recently.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #6365 on: Sunday 12 April 2020, 06:03:27 PM »
My old car, miss it like crazy :( What a beaut  :love:

Offline AyeDubbleYoo

• General Member
  • Ian W
« Reply #6366 on: Sunday 12 April 2020, 06:42:57 PM »
I really miss going for drives.

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #6367 on: Sunday 12 April 2020, 06:47:56 PM »
Wonder how may dead car batteries there is currently.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #6368 on: Sunday 12 April 2020, 07:24:03 PM »

Me too :(

Offline relámpago blanco

• Likes gambling
  • General Member
  • aka Gorilla
« Reply #6369 on: Sunday 12 April 2020, 07:41:10 PM »

I just take the long route to the shops, I know I'm probably not supposed to but unsure I could be infecting anyone.

Offline RodneyCisse

• General Member
  • <3
« Reply #6370 on: Sunday 12 April 2020, 10:36:55 PM »
Anyone with any experience of owning an alpha 159?
LGM

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #6371 on: Monday 13 April 2020, 08:45:12 AM »

I just take the long route to the shops, I know I'm probably not supposed to but unsure I could be infecting anyone.

Same here :lol:

Offline ED209

• insano
  • General Member
« Reply #6372 on: Monday 13 April 2020, 09:15:21 AM »

Until you crash on your unnecessary journey and you tie up much needed nhs resources.
In the end what you remember are not the words of your enemies but the silence of your friends.

Offline loki679

• General Member
  • 中国
« Reply #6373 on: Monday 13 April 2020, 10:02:18 AM »
My old car, miss it like crazy :( What a beaut  :love:

Steering wheel's on the wrong side, mate.
Comfy chairs, beer, and doom. Humanity's future is an early 90s LAN party.

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #6374 on: Monday 13 April 2020, 12:47:12 PM »
Nah it’s on the right side mate :thup: