Author Topic: The Car Thread  (Read 271647 times)

Offline ED209

• insano
  • General Member
Re: The Car Thread
« Reply #6300 on: Saturday 7 September 2019, 11:22:50 am »
Any suggestions for personal leasing companies? Got Select Car Leasing and Lings cars as recommendations already but interested to see who else is decent/reputable 

Depends what you looking for,  sometimes best to find a deal online. Leasing.com is a good site. Then ring your local dealer of that brand, sometimes they will match or beat prices without a rip off admin fee.

Sometimes works the other way too. My Volvo v90 is via Santander but I picked it up at Newcastle Volvo however the dealer couldn’t get anywhere near the Santander lease price.

I know VW Newcastle will match deals if you speak to the right person as I have ordered a lease car through them before (eventually cancelled it though) Skoda Durham will do the same as my dad got a lease car direct from them this week.
In the end what you remember are not the words of your enemies but the silence of your friends.

Offline nemtizz

• General Member
« Reply #6301 on: Sunday 15 September 2019, 01:30:42 am »
I'm starting to take a real liking to the M4 and M3, especially the latter. When compared to the V8s they're never going to come close in terms of sound, but in person they have a great presence and the sound isn't bad with the right setup. Might even make a nice sound.  :kasper:

Offline TK-421

• General Member
  • Not at my Post
« Reply #6302 on: Monday 16 September 2019, 01:33:06 pm »
I looked into leasing last year when I wanted to change my car. All sites seemed to come up with an initial figure which looked good, but then once you got a full, more accurate quote, then prices just kept climbing, and I couldn't get it to stack up.

At the time, I could only afford about £200/month, but the best I could find in that price range were fiesta and focus sized cars and I wanted an SUV type. Mileage was always limited to around 8000 miles, and I needed at least 10000 miles/year.

Ended up buying a used Ford Kuga instead on HP. At least I'll have something to trade-in or sell at the end of it, and a sense of 'ownership', which was something else I struggled to get my head around with leasing. Paying £200+ a month, for something that would never be mine.

But, I also understand that leasing works for others better than car purchasing.
Claim to fame.... Han Solo stole my uniform.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #6303 on: Monday 16 September 2019, 01:36:36 pm »
If you're prepared to go for a used car then I guess you'll never find a new car deal to match.

Offline Papavasiliou

• General Member
« Reply #6304 on: Monday 16 September 2019, 01:46:59 pm »
Dropped my car off at the garage this morning for a service and MOT. Couple of hours later I get a call off them.

"I'm just looking through your service history book and it looks like there's no entries since 2015. Do you know anything about that?"
"Yeah, that's when I started bringing it to you guys for services."
"So it has been serviced every year?"
"I should hope so, I've been paying you to do it since 2015."
"...I'll look into getting that updated then."

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #6305 on: Monday 16 September 2019, 01:49:00 pm »
I nearly had to pay a fee to Mercedes for not having my Smart fully serviced, even though I absolutely had. They just hadn't updated the records properly.

Eventually Mercedes just gave up and credited my account since I put up a fight, but I hadn't thought of checking that kind of thing before.

Offline Papavasiliou

• General Member
« Reply #6306 on: Monday 16 September 2019, 01:54:12 pm »
I nearly had to pay a fee to Mercedes for not having my Smart fully serviced, even though I absolutely had. They just hadn't updated the records properly.

Eventually Mercedes just gave up and credited my account since I put up a fight, but I hadn't thought of checking that kind of thing before.

Same here. I just assumed it had been done.

Should really have checked for myself when I noticed last time they forgot to knock the "Time for a service" message off. Couldn't be arsed to go back so I just ended up living with the message flashing up every time I started the car for the past year.

Basically, I'm just a very lazy person.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #6307 on: Monday 16 September 2019, 01:56:22 pm »
I've got 3 years free servicing now so I can use the actual dealership. Never done that before since it's so expensive.

Offline chopey

• General Member
« Reply #6308 on: Monday 16 September 2019, 02:06:22 pm »
I've got 3 years free servicing now so I can use the actual dealership. Never done that before since it's so expensive.

Me to, on my service if I had to pay it was £125 an hour
Mike Ashley stole my 30's

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #6309 on: Monday 16 September 2019, 02:11:33 pm »

Me to, on my service if I had to pay it was £125 an hour

Smart's not too bad, like 99/150 for the A or B service. But I imagine Mercedes take your eyes out at the dealership for an actual Mercedes.

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #6310 on: Monday 16 September 2019, 02:20:28 pm »
I looked into leasing last year when I wanted to change my car. All sites seemed to come up with an initial figure which looked good, but then once you got a full, more accurate quote, then prices just kept climbing, and I couldn't get it to stack up.

At the time, I could only afford about £200/month, but the best I could find in that price range were fiesta and focus sized cars and I wanted an SUV type. Mileage was always limited to around 8000 miles, and I needed at least 10000 miles/year.

Ended up buying a used Ford Kuga instead on HP. At least I'll have something to trade-in or sell at the end of it, and a sense of 'ownership', which was something else I struggled to get my head around with leasing. Paying £200+ a month, for something that would never be mine.

But, I also understand that leasing works for others better than car purchasing.

It's more hassle, but get a quote and try a local dealership to see if they'll match it. You might get away with not paying an extortionate admin/processing fee.

Offline WarrenBartonCentrePartin

• Boring James Milner
  • General Member
« Reply #6311 on: Monday 16 September 2019, 09:53:30 pm »
Called Evans Halshaw earlier to book my car in for an MOT and service as I'm on a plan.

They're only open 10am to 5pm - and only do work Monday to Friday. There's no option of a courtesy car.

:lol: Absolute s****. It's basically either start work late or book the day off to take the car in. I asked if I were to go down at half nine, whether there'd be someone in early to leave the key with. Was told in no uncertain terms there wouldn't.
Had a few dances off her when I've been in Blue velvet with friends. She's one of the ones who will push her fanny in your face, usually I like that but hers smells f***ing rotten. Only had dances off her because she agreed to take less money for the dances when me and my mate said we were skint.

I was a pure creep when I was a kid tbf. Used to spunk in deoderant can lids too

Offline ED209

• insano
  • General Member
« Reply #6312 on: Thursday 19 September 2019, 08:57:08 am »
Called Evans Halshaw earlier to book my car in for an MOT and service as I'm on a plan.

They're only open 10am to 5pm - and only do work Monday to Friday. There's no option of a courtesy car.

:lol: Absolute s****. It's basically either start work late or book the day off to take the car in. I asked if I were to go down at half nine, whether there'd be someone in early to leave the key with. Was told in no uncertain terms there wouldn't.

Will they collect it and drop it off for you?
In the end what you remember are not the words of your enemies but the silence of your friends.

Offline Gorilla

• Likes gambling
  • General Member
« Reply #6313 on: Thursday 19 September 2019, 05:39:21 pm »
I'm starting to take a real liking to the M4 and M3, especially the latter. When compared to the V8s they're never going to come close in terms of sound, but in person they have a great presence and the sound isn't bad with the right setup. Might even make a nice sound.  :kasper:
I have an M4 CP and whilst I had a lot of problems initially(I had my brand new first M4 replaced as engine wasnt right) this one is awesome. I used to miss the sound of my old c63, it was the 6.2 V8 but the driving experience in the M4 is way better, the handling is on another level and the dct makes a massive difference. Gettibg in the c63 and starting it was an event that used to make me smile every time I started it but driving the m4 is so much more rewarding as I can actually put power down on country roads without worrying even if its raining, the balance is great. It feels like a proper, well thought through perfomance car. The C63 which I will always love never gave me that feeling. I do plan to buy a 15 plate c63 at some point though, just to have.
« Last Edit: Thursday 19 September 2019, 05:54:52 pm by Gorilla »

Offline HTT

• tl;dr
  • General Member
« Reply #6314 on: Thursday 19 September 2019, 06:09:24 pm »
I have an M4 CP and whilst I had a lot of problems initially(I had my brand new first M4 replaced as engine wasnt right) this one is awesome. I used to miss the sound of my old c63, it was the 6.2 V8 but the driving experience in the M4 is way better, the handling is on another level and the dct makes a massive difference. Gettibg in the c63 and starting it was an event that used to make me smile every time I started it but driving the m4 is so much more rewarding as I can actually put power down on country roads without worrying even if its raining, the balance is great. It feels like a proper, well thought through perfomance car. The C63 which I will always love never gave me that feeling. I do plan to buy a 15 plate c63 at some point though, just to have.

Must one day get myself an M car, the C63 is an animal, especially the 6.2 NA one. I imagine the M4s cab is more modern and a nicer place to be in than the C class. I’m not keen on the newer C63s. I’d love a new S63, but prices have to come down a hell of a lot more for me to afford one :lol:
Wee Hughie - the greatest centre-forward Newcastle United ever had

Offline WarrenBartonCentrePartin

• Boring James Milner
  • General Member
« Reply #6315 on: Friday 20 September 2019, 10:28:12 pm »

Will they collect it and drop it off for you?

Nope. It's the Evans Halshaw Car Store, not a specific dealer.

The manager called me at 10 to 5 this afternoon and said head office had just told them they're permanently shutting the branch next Friday and to cancel all appointments ffs  :lol:

Managed to get in with an Evans Halshaw Ford dealer down the road (car's a VW like) last minute. Total farce.  :lol:
Had a few dances off her when I've been in Blue velvet with friends. She's one of the ones who will push her fanny in your face, usually I like that but hers smells f***ing rotten. Only had dances off her because she agreed to take less money for the dances when me and my mate said we were skint.

I was a pure creep when I was a kid tbf. Used to spunk in deoderant can lids too