Author Topic: Things you think are sh*t...that you're supposed to like  (Read 172761 times)

Offline Fugazi

• General Member
  • NE28
Re: Things you think are sh*t...that you're supposed to like
« Reply #5100 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 08:31:00 pm »
Think the last time I watched ITV was when they had the champions league. Garbage channel.
Consider winning

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #5101 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 08:38:33 pm »
I always find it hard to believe that people miss the rich vein of humour that runs through The Smiths' music like, but i think that they were maybe very much of their time.  To each their own of course, but to write them off as miserable or depressing (as millions have) always makes me think that people maybe haven't really listened that closely, or haven't heard very many songs. Which is fair enough, of course - why would you keep listening if you don't approve? - but the lyrics (and for me the music too) were approximately a billion times more sophisticated than anything the Stone Roses or Oasis ever managed (again, imo) and were shot through with humour and a wonderful wry pathos rather than the misery which people often accuse them off.

Morrissey is something of a gargantuan c*** these days, definitely (although how much of that is a desperate attempt to stay relevant I don't know), but he wasn't then.

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #5102 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 08:47:11 pm »
I probably spend more time on a morning watching GMB but that's mainly cos BBC Breakfast is normally boring AF.

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #5103 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 08:54:12 pm »
Family Guy. Was okay for like the first 5 or 6 seasons but anytime I see it on now or watch a clip of it online from a more recent epsiode it's just totally unfunny. The cutaways are utterly relentless and don't add anything.

Brooklyn 99 and How I Met Your Mother. Just not funny.

Also said this before but The Smiths. Totally depressing and Morrissey is a gargantuan c***. I'm aware of their influence on bands like the Stone Roses and Oasis who are amongst my favourites but I just find them s***. Don't mind Johnny Marr though.

Family Guy and HIMYM, I hear you.

But B99? Haydn lad, give it another go. Creeping up on Community/Parks & Rec territory for me.

Offline Astroblack

• mkdisciple
  • General Member
« Reply #5104 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 09:00:38 pm »
Think Brooklyn sucks, too. Find it too cutesy.

HIMYM is okay. It's clever at times. Robin is sexy af. Barney is pretty cool. Couldn't say I remember a particular line, though.

Offline HaydnNUFC

• General Member
  • Yes, I'm really that young.
« Reply #5105 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 09:09:18 pm »
Family Guy. Was okay for like the first 5 or 6 seasons but anytime I see it on now or watch a clip of it online from a more recent epsiode it's just totally unfunny. The cutaways are utterly relentless and don't add anything.

Brooklyn 99 and How I Met Your Mother. Just not funny.

Also said this before but The Smiths. Totally depressing and Morrissey is a gargantuan c***. I'm aware of their influence on bands like the Stone Roses and Oasis who are amongst my favourites but I just find them s***. Don't mind Johnny Marr though.

Family Guy and HIMYM, I hear you.

But B99? Haydn lad, give it another go. Creeping up on Community/Parks & Rec territory for me.

I've really tried. :lol: My older brother likes it and I saw him watching a few episodes and I got through the first series with my girlfriend but the amount of times she turned to me after an episode finished and we barely even chuckled at the jokes and went 'Haydn, this is s****' I always ended up agreeing with her. :lol: Just not my thing I suppose.
But...6 in a row. But...Calciopoli.

I reckon Haydn wears pure concentrated pheromones.

Offline HaydnNUFC

• General Member
« Reply #5106 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 09:16:06 pm »
I always find it hard to believe that people miss the rich vein of humour that runs through The Smiths' music like, but i think that they were maybe very much of their time.  To each their own of course, but to write them off as miserable or depressing (as millions have) always makes me think that people maybe haven't really listened that closely, or haven't heard very many songs. Which is fair enough, of course - why would you keep listening if you don't approve? - but the lyrics (and for me the music too) were approximately a billion times more sophisticated than anything the Stone Roses or Oasis ever managed (again, imo) and were shot through with humour and a wonderful wry pathos rather than the misery which people often accuse them off.

Morrissey is something of a gargantuan c*** these days, definitely (although how much of that is a desperate attempt to stay relevant I don't know), but he wasn't then.

I always try to give bands time when first listening to them, I did with the Stone Roses after being a bit iffy about them for a bit and now they're in my top 10 bands. Agree with you on their lyrics, they're mostly nonsense but Oasis? Quite a few tracks on Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory have deeper, sophisticated lyrics but it's mostly the B-sides and non singles; Listen Up, D'Yer Wanna Be A Spaceman, Bring It On Down, Cigarettes & Alcohol, Up In The Sky, Fade Away, Talk Tonight, Rockin' Chair to name a few.

But I've tried to listen to the self titled album and Meat Is Murder like 3 times each in the past few months and I always end up turning it off due to just not liking it. Everyone's to their own like you say I suppose.

Offline Fugazi

• General Member
  • NE28
« Reply #5107 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 09:20:15 pm »
Hate Moz, adore The Smiths, Hatful of Hollow was one of the first LPs I loved. Appreciate their not to everyone's tastes though.

"I dreamt about you last night, and I fell out of bed twice"
Consider winning

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #5108 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 09:24:28 pm »
Aye (@haydn) Personally can't stand Oasis, and NGs lyrics always made me literally cringe with embarrassment, and I don't think I could ever get over it no matter how many times I tried so it's fair enough :thup:

It's nice we can agree on the Roses though (only the first record mind, the second one was f***ing dross :lol:)

Offline HaydnNUFC

• General Member
« Reply #5109 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 09:31:46 pm »
Aye (@haydn) Personally can't stand Oasis, and NGs lyrics always made me literally cringe with embarrassment, and I don't think I could ever get over it no matter how many times I tried so it's fair enough :thup:

It's nice we can agree on the Roses though (only the first record mind, the second one was f***ing dross :lol:)

I love Love Spreads from Second Coming, like. Don't mind the album but the first album is light years ahead. If you don't mind Liam's or Noel's voices give The Masterplan a go, full of B-sides with better lyrics which didn't even make the bloody albums for some reason. Tracks like Listen Up and Stay Young are great tunes with good lyrics, although that may be my young inherently working class background talking regarding them. :lol: If you hate Liam and Noel's voices and can't listen then fair enough I guess. :lol:

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #5110 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 09:36:48 pm »
Yeah, I know most of their stuff from my brother back in the day who was a fan.  I genuinely dislike pretty much everything about them alas, but particularly the lyrics unfortunately :lol:

Offline WarrenBartonCentrePartin

• Boring James Milner
  • General Member
« Reply #5111 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 09:51:20 pm »
I probably spend more time on a morning watching GMB but that's mainly cos BBC Breakfast is normally boring AF.

Buy a cheap radio alarm clock and have 5Live on. Don't watch any telly before graft. :thup:
Had a few dances off her when I've been in Blue velvet with friends. She's one of the ones who will push her fanny in your face, usually I like that but hers smells f***ing rotten. Only had dances off her because she agreed to take less money for the dances when me and my mate said we were skint.

I was a pure creep when I was a kid tbf. Used to spunk in deoderant can lids too

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #5112 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 09:58:04 pm »
Haven't watched TV in over 4 months.  It's glorious.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #5113 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 10:03:26 pm »

I've tried to tell people this, like :)

« Reply #5114 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 10:27:02 pm »

:lol: cant understand any?
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #5115 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 10:46:28 pm »

Buy a cheap radio alarm clock and have 5Live on. Don't watch any telly before graft. :thup:

Why?

« Reply #5116 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 10:59:29 pm »
:lol: 5live, ffs. Radio 4 in the morning, Yorks.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make

Offline OpenC

• General Member
« Reply #5117 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 11:03:02 pm »
Absolutely. It's all about Today on Radio 4. Also World At One and PM at 5.

Offline Tyne81

• General Member
« Reply #5118 on: Thursday 13 June 2019, 09:27:39 am »

This, I'm up early with the kids and BBC just repeats itself every 20 minutes. I also can't shake the feeling there is massive hidden agenda's pumped out by them.

ITV stuff is s****, but watchable s****. Piers Morgan is a Grade A c***, this is fact, but his obvious attempt at trolling and getting thick f***ers to bite is mildly amusing. Also, Susanna. Producers missed a trick by keeping her behind a desk every day though.

Offline Haz

• formerly known as Haswell
  • General Member
« Reply #5119 on: Thursday 13 June 2019, 12:19:34 pm »
What we do in the Shadows. Yawn.
Drinking alcohol never solves anything. But neither does drinking milk.

It matters not how strait the gate, How charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
- William Ernest Henley

Offline Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
« Reply #5120 on: Thursday 13 June 2019, 12:26:57 pm »
What we do in the Shadows. Yawn.

The series is f***ing glorious.
Bearings Straight!

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #5121 on: Thursday 13 June 2019, 12:29:41 pm »
It's the best thing on the BBC, and it's not even made by them.

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #5122 on: Thursday 13 June 2019, 01:56:45 pm »
Hmm I've watched the first 4 eps and I'm pretty disappointed so far. 

Rate the film so highly and have found this underwhelming.

Worth watching the rest?

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #5123 on: Thursday 13 June 2019, 02:04:27 pm »

I always try to give bands time when first listening to them, I did with the Stone Roses after being a bit iffy about them for a bit and now they're in my top 10 bands. Agree with you on their lyrics, they're mostly nonsense but Oasis? Quite a few tracks on Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory have deeper, sophisticated lyrics but it's mostly the B-sides and non singles; Listen Up, D'Yer Wanna Be A Spaceman, Bring It On Down, Cigarettes & Alcohol, Up In The Sky, Fade Away, Talk Tonight, Rockin' Chair to name a few.

But I've tried to listen to the self titled album and Meat Is Murder like 3 times each in the past few months and I always end up turning it off due to just not liking it. Everyone's to their own like you say I suppose.

Just chosen one at random:

"Hey you, up in the sky
Learnin' to fly
Tell me, how high
Do you think you'd go
Before you start falling?

Hey you, up in the tree
You want to be me
Well, that couldn't be
'Cause the people here
They don't hear you calling

How does it feel
When you're inside me?"

:lol: Aye pure sophisticated lyricism. They genuinely make me sick.
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

Offline Interpolic

• Drossbot 5000
  • General Member
« Reply #5124 on: Thursday 13 June 2019, 02:09:46 pm »
:lol: :lol: