Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 259748 times)

Online Gottlob

• General Member
Re: Tennis
« Reply #13200 on: Sunday 22 September 2019, 10:07:35 PM »
I struggle to figure out how seriously they're all taking it: I like all of the people involved and I do think it's a good idea at a fallow point in the season, but I cringe a little watching the players coach each other at the change of ends, and I wonder if it could be turned into even more of a spectacle whereas they seem keen to portray it as a genuine sporting event.

Offline Robster

• in a lorry
  • General Member
« Reply #13201 on: Sunday 20 October 2019, 05:51:43 PM »
Andy Murray wins European Open
" Managers matter, but our manager is desperate for you, and his boss, to believe that they don’t. "
sackpardew.com

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #13202 on: Sunday 20 October 2019, 05:59:41 PM »
Incredible what's he's done.  Been shades of the old Murray this week :)

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #13203 on: Friday 22 November 2019, 01:34:52 AM »
This Davis Cup format is terrible.  Nevermind putting it in Madrid in the end of November when it's cold, the scheduling is too crammed.  Comical the US match finished at 4am.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #13204 on: Saturday 23 November 2019, 11:43:35 PM »
It's a crime. They've stolen the Davis Cup from the people and created yet another corporate event in a tennis calendar full of them. The beauty of the Davis Cup was that it brought tennis to places that don't normally get to host the highest level of the game. It offered affordable tickets to see the top ATP players in the world playing best of five sets tennis.

The nonsense that has been on the TV the past week that they are calling the Davis Cup is an absolute mockery of an event with over a decade of history. What makes it even more comical is that they have a similarly unnecessary ATP Cup replacing the Australian Open satellite tournaments and the laughable Laver Cup all on the calendar now. The only answer is to hit reset and go back to the Davis Cup as it was. Some things shouldn't be messed with.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #13205 on: Sunday 24 November 2019, 12:35:49 AM »
It's a crime. They've stolen the Davis Cup from the people and created yet another corporate event in a tennis calendar full of them. The beauty of the Davis Cup was that it brought tennis to places that don't normally get to host the highest level of the game. It offered affordable tickets to see the top ATP players in the world playing best of five sets tennis.

The nonsense that has been on the TV the past week that they are calling the Davis Cup is an absolute mockery of an event with over a decade of history. What makes it even more comical is that they have a similarly unnecessary ATP Cup replacing the Australian Open satellite tournaments and the laughable Laver Cup all on the calendar now. The only answer is to hit reset and go back to the Davis Cup as it was. Some things shouldn't be messed with.

Agreed.

Btw fair play to the LTA for paying for 950 tickets which cost them £60k.  I live in Madrid but didn't get told told in time to apply.

Online joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #13206 on: Friday 6 December 2019, 02:25:46 PM »
Wozniacki retiring after the Aus Open