Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 247781 times)

Online Pilko

• General Member
  • Bunsen burner
Re: Tennis Fans
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 2 June 2009, 04:12:23 pm »
Gonzalez wins the first set against Murray 6-3.
"Does a struggling salesman start turning up on a bicycle? No, he turns up in a newer car. Perception." - David Brent

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 2 June 2009, 05:39:12 pm »
Murray pretty much out.

Online Pilko

• General Member
  • Bunsen burner
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 2 June 2009, 05:40:46 pm »
3-6 6-3 0-6 3-5 Murray/Gonzalez

currently.
"Does a struggling salesman start turning up on a bicycle? No, he turns up in a newer car. Perception." - David Brent

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 2 June 2009, 05:41:53 pm »
Breaks back to love!

Online Pilko

• General Member
  • Bunsen burner
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 2 June 2009, 05:43:33 pm »
Bloke on SSN getting distracted and telling people about the tennis during reports about cricket and the newspaper back pages. :lol:

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 2 June 2009, 05:45:52 pm »
f***ed it. Out.

Online Pilko

• General Member
  • Bunsen burner
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 2 June 2009, 05:48:45 pm »
Surely has to drop down the world rankings now? The man is over-rated.

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 2 June 2009, 06:37:10 pm »
Surely has to drop down the world rankings now? The man is over-rated.

Wouldn't have thought so. If anything, he'll go further ahead of Djokovic and slightly closer to Nadal due to getting further than those two, Nadal & Djokovic doing worse than last year, and Murray doing better.
?s=21

Offline James

• Book Wanker Wannabe
  • General Member
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 2 June 2009, 07:11:02 pm »
Yep, clay is pretty much Murray's worst surface, so its the time of year where a QF is a huge achievement, whereas some of the clay stars haven't performed.
I looked into the eye of the Island and what I saw was beautiful.

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 2 June 2009, 07:24:23 pm »
If Murray can get to the Semi Final at Wimbledon and match his US Open run of last year, he has a great chance of ending the year in the top 2.
?s=21

Offline Pip

• General Member
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 2 June 2009, 07:36:22 pm »
If Federer had lost yesterday, Murray would actually end the tournament as world number 2. He's really close to Federer now, but actually, if Federer can win this, he'll move a lot closer to Nadal too. It's really tight at the top.

Only Monfils can beat Federer out of all the guys that are left. If he wins tomorrow, he'll win it.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 2 June 2009, 10:46:21 pm »
if anyone thinks murray is crap on today's performance, then they are very short sighted

gonzalez was awesome today, i've never seen anyone use such a forehand in tennis, it was like a bullet when on target

Offline SUPERTOON

• General Member
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 3 June 2009, 09:56:35 am »
if anyone thinks murray is crap on today's performance, then they are very short sighted

gonzalez was awesome today, i've never seen anyone use such a forehand in tennis, it was like a bullet when on target

Not as good as Soderling was against Davydenko. Nearly every shot was a winner.

Offline CPL

• General Member
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday 3 June 2009, 11:06:38 am »

I agree with neesy here, although both have an amazing forehand Gonzalez on his day can hit winners from both sides from anywhere in the court, the semi will be interesting. Looking forward to Monfils and Federer today.

Federer/Gonzalez final i say.

Offline SUPERTOON

• General Member
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday 3 June 2009, 11:36:12 am »

I agree with neesy here, although both have an amazing forehand Gonzalez on his day can hit winners from both sides from anywhere in the court, the semi will be interesting. Looking forward to Monfils and Federer today.

Federer/Gonzalez final i say.

If Federer and Monfils play as they have throughout the tournament so far then i can see Monfils causing another upset. If he gets the momentum early and the support of the home crowd then we could have a classic.

Offline TĂȘteDeMaure

• General Member
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 4 June 2009, 01:42:37 pm »
Find it really strange how he's so gash on clay, considering he spent most of his formative years training in Spain on the clay.

Right again.

Offline Mowen

• General Member
  • Sepp Blatter w*****
« Reply #66 on: Friday 5 June 2009, 10:51:50 am »
Find it really strange how he's so gash on clay, considering he spent most of his formative years training in Spain on the clay.

Right again.

I don't think you were right tbh, because you said Murray should win it. Which was never the case. Didn't see any of it this year, but it sounds like he's improving, it is strange it's his weakness though as you say.

Much more interesting now it isn't a foregone conclusion, eh?
Under-21 coach David Platt added: "If Shola recognises what he's got, all hell could break loose."

Offline SUPERTOON

• General Member
« Reply #67 on: Friday 5 June 2009, 01:17:23 pm »
Soderling a set up against Gonzalez.

Offline Ronaldo

• General Member
  • Is that you, Mustard?
« Reply #68 on: Friday 5 June 2009, 03:34:59 pm »
I can see Del Potro winning today

Offline Pip

• General Member
« Reply #69 on: Friday 5 June 2009, 06:06:57 pm »
del Potro up two sets to one and quite frankly, dominating Federer, who hasn't broken del Potro in the whole match.

Federer needs to play unbelievably to win this match because he's not losing these points; it's been won by del Potro.

Offline Pip

• General Member
« Reply #70 on: Friday 5 June 2009, 06:55:55 pm »
Federer won the 4th 6-1, breaking dP twice. He's up 2-0 in the fifth and playing some exquisite tennis right now.

Offline Pip

• General Member
« Reply #71 on: Friday 5 June 2009, 07:36:47 pm »
Federer takes the 5th, 6-4.

Federer vs Soderling on Sunday.

Offline captainhaircut

• General Member
« Reply #72 on: Friday 5 June 2009, 08:53:00 pm »
Thank the lord for that. Federer really showed the heart and will of a champion today.

Del Potro was sensational though. I'd be surprised if he doesn't do the career slam if he can master grass. I reckon he could be looking at ten slams with his natural physical attributes and hitting power.

Offline Pip

• General Member
« Reply #73 on: Friday 5 June 2009, 10:23:25 pm »
Yeah, I thought that when he was smacking balls right, left and center in the first and third sets. If he can learn to move better, get fitter then he's all the attributes to become a multiple grand-slam champion. I'd hesitate to say that he can win every slam because there are a few young players who should get better, and I think many people are quick to say that about new players because of the bar that Federer has set.

Offline Optimistic Nut

• General Member
« Reply #74 on: Friday 5 June 2009, 11:48:04 pm »
When was the last time there were 5 world-class players all capable of beating each other on any given day? Think Del Potro will break into the top 4 soon, and for the next few years, there'll be nowt between Nadal, Federer, Murray, Del Potro & Djokovic.
?s=21