Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 277181 times)

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
Re: Tennis
« Reply #13300 on: Sunday 11 October 2020, 07:26:30 PM »
@Mike

Some cracking Pip action here.

I think Novak wins in 4 tomorrow. He’s moving great and Rafa isn’t at his peak, his FH does nothing against Novak’s BH.

This isn't a bad analysis to be fair. The problem is that the court conditions and the temperatue didn't particularly favour Djokovic's backhand either. He knew himself he wasn't going to be able to hit a lot of clean winners and that to pressure Nadal he would have to hit flat and deep with it. It's a fairly low percentage play even for someone with the skill and consistency of Djokovic. You could see in the first two sets he didn't want to commit to that shot as the odds weren't in his favour especially with Nadal barely making an unforced error.

There's really not much you can do against a guy with Nadal's level of defensive play. The drop shot would be the best strategy but he's able to run that down from almost anywhere and wins a high percentage of those points as well.

I don't see anyway that any player beats Nadal on that court when he's playing like that. It would take a quite ridiculous level to be able to hit through him consistently in a best of five sets.

Offline Pip

• General Member
« Reply #13301 on: Sunday 11 October 2020, 07:47:40 PM »
One of these years he has to lose. :lol: FFS. How is he this good.

Online Shak

• General Member
« Reply #13302 on: Sunday 11 October 2020, 08:54:50 PM »
Why is he THAT MUCH better than everyone on clay? I don’t know enough, I know that clay slows the ball down considerably compared to the other two surfaces but why does that favour Nadal to such a severe degree? Seems madness.

Good thing there’s only one slam on clay, like. :lol:

Online joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #13303 on: Sunday 11 October 2020, 08:57:40 PM »
He must have grown up on pretty much purely on clay courts.

Not sure what the courts in Switzerland, Serbia etc predominantly are mind so not sure that's really the reason

Offline Mikky

• General Member
« Reply #13304 on: Monday 12 October 2020, 09:34:03 PM »
Why is he THAT MUCH better than everyone on clay? I don’t know enough, I know that clay slows the ball down considerably compared to the other two surfaces but why does that favour Nadal to such a severe degree? Seems madness.

Quite a few factors - he has an all round game that is fantastic, on top of this he is a brutal competitor, the best ever - unlike any other player in history, he has the ability to put incredible amounts of spin on the ball, and not just the same type of spin, it’s different types of spin (as Federer once alluded to), he can do this with both FH and BH. As an opponent you are constantly dealing with balls that are above your shoulder, there’s nothing much you can do, all you are doing is being moved from one side of the court to the other, you simply can’t do this for say 3 hours, it physically and mentally drains you, you are playing a type of tennis you are not used to

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #13305 on: Monday 12 October 2020, 11:56:18 PM »

Quite a few factors - he has an all round game that is fantastic, on top of this he is a brutal competitor, the best ever - unlike any other player in history, he has the ability to put incredible amounts of spin on the ball, and not just the same type of spin, it’s different types of spin (as Federer once alluded to), he can do this with both FH and BH. As an opponent you are constantly dealing with balls that are above your shoulder, there’s nothing much you can do, all you are doing is being moved from one side of the court to the other, you simply can’t do this for say 3 hours, it physically and mentally drains you, you are playing a type of tennis you are not used to

To further expand on the point.

One of the characteristics of a clay court is that you really can't take the ball on early. By this I mean as it bounces it is a very low percentage play to strike it early as it rises. The nature of the surface creates too many variations in the bounce to make that risk worthwhile. Therefore you'll see almost all players taking the ball when it hits the peak of the bounce. With Nadals forehand often spinning at 4000+ RPM in comparison to the 2000-3000 RPM range of your average player, he then gets more height on the bounce. This is hugely favourable because not only does it buy him more time to move but it also allows him to push his opponents back outside of the baseline with relative ease. That in turn is a big advantage again because it's so difficult to hit through the slower clay courts from back there. Even more difficult against someone that moves as well as he does and is able to defend from so far back behind his own baseline.

Another thing that people under appreciate about nadal is that he's actually right-handed but he plays left-handed. Given the mechanics of a two-handed backhand are that it's 90% playing a forehand with your weak hand and 10% using your other hand to guide the racquet then he's effectively playing a forehand with his naturally stronger hand. People may not shout about his backhand being as big a weapon as Djokovic or Murray but it's ridiculously consistent. Penty of players have tried to target it at Roland Garros over the years and it just doesn't break down.

Online joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #13306 on: Tuesday 13 October 2020, 07:19:50 AM »
Love your posts in this thread O'Neill :thup:

Offline Pip

• General Member
« Reply #13307 on: Tuesday 13 October 2020, 05:17:11 PM »
Sometimes I think it’s as simple as the fact that Nadal hits the ball harder than everyone else, and he can hit hard from all angles and positions and does it with both FH and BH.

Anyway, Australian Open up next. Come back soon, Roger.

Online Shak

• General Member
« Reply #13308 on: Tuesday 13 October 2020, 05:32:19 PM »

Aye, good stuff. You too Mikky, cheers for the posts lads :thup:

Your contribution added nothing, Pip.

Offline Pip

• General Member
« Reply #13309 on: Tuesday 13 October 2020, 05:42:13 PM »
:lol: Love you too buddy.

Online Flip

• General Member
« Reply #13310 on: Tuesday 13 October 2020, 09:08:18 PM »

Aye, good stuff. You too Mikky, cheers for the posts lads :thup:

Your contribution added nothing, Pip.

:lol:
2016/17 N-O Pick Em Champ & N-O NBA Fantasy Champ

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #13311 on: Thursday 22 October 2020, 02:33:48 PM »
Boris Becker in a s*** ton of trouble due to his bankruptcy.