Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 256912 times)

Offline Hughesy

• General Member
Re: Tennis
« Reply #13175 on: Monday 15 July 2019, 11:34:12 am »
If you had to choose one of Djokovic, Nadal or Federer at their absolute peak, who would be judged the best?  I know many would go for Federer, but I just think that Nadal of 2008-2011 was just unstoppable.  Impossible question I suppose.

Offline Sima

• General Member
« Reply #13176 on: Monday 15 July 2019, 11:51:21 am »
Federer imo.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #13177 on: Monday 15 July 2019, 12:01:08 pm »
2011 Novak is the best I've seen.

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #13178 on: Monday 15 July 2019, 12:20:33 pm »
Novak.

Offline TRC

• WASRKOOK
  • General Member
« Reply #13179 on: Monday 15 July 2019, 12:21:07 pm »
2011 Novak is the best I've seen.

This.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #13180 on: Monday 15 July 2019, 01:30:24 pm »
There is absolutely no question that it's Federer, for the same reason Messi is better than Ronaldo.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #13181 on: Monday 15 July 2019, 01:41:00 pm »
There is absolutely no question that it's Federer, for the same reason Messi is better than Ronaldo.

:thup:
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Online Shak

• General Member
« Reply #13182 on: Monday 15 July 2019, 03:12:48 pm »

I... agree with... Froggy

Offline TRC

• WASRKOOK
  • General Member
« Reply #13183 on: Monday 15 July 2019, 03:16:48 pm »

Novaks standard of play during 2011 was incredible. Federer maybe the GOAT but at their absolute peak I'd say Novak.

I didn't really follow Tennis until after the 2007 Wimbledon final though.

Offline Gottlob

• General Member
« Reply #13184 on: Monday 15 July 2019, 04:50:00 pm »
I think their dominance on different surfaces at different stages of their careers and at least in Federer's case, arguably in a different era or a transitional era of the sport, not to mention their convoluted head-to-head records, make the judgement too difficult to make. It's hard but not impossible to see Federer winning another Grand Slam, whereas Nadal could easily win another couple of French Opens or all of his injuries could finally take their toll. Djokovic at 32, given the shape he's in, could well be the favourite now to end up with the most Grand Slams overall - although his form has tailed off unexpectedly in the past.

Given his dominance in 2011 and the four consecutive Grand Slams from 2015-2016, if he does end up with the most slams there's going to be a compelling case for calling Djokovic the best of all time. Perverse though that if Federer takes one of those two match points yesterday, we're in a very different situation. And in the end stylistic preferences and personality traits and memorable matches and their different timelines will leave the question up for debate. Still being sore about yesterday, I'll say that I'm not sure that tennis benefits from Djokovic being out in front as the sport's number one, and that I'd have been speeding up the courts these past few years in order to aid Federer.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #13185 on: Monday 15 July 2019, 06:50:35 pm »

I... agree with... Froggy

Embrace it. FF season is upon us. This mutual respect will be shattered in a million tiny pieces soon enough.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #13186 on: Friday 26 July 2019, 12:25:21 am »
As expected Ivan Lendl has removed himself from Zverev's coaching team. The way Lendl trains with meticulous attention to detail with an aim to win Slams is simply not suited to the get rich quick mentality of the Zverev camp. They are more interested in what they can have in the short term by selling his name value than creating a long term project.

Offline Robster

• in a lorry
  • General Member
« Reply #13187 on: Sunday 1 September 2019, 09:59:03 am »
What a shot from Jamie Murray

?s=20
" Managers matter, but our manager is desperate for you, and his boss, to believe that they donโ€™t. "
sackpardew.com

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #13188 on: Monday 2 September 2019, 07:23:58 am »
Djokovic retires from US Open.  Opens the door for Mr Federer now.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #13189 on: Saturday 7 September 2019, 06:09:01 pm »
It will be an unpopular opinion but backing Federer here would have been throwing money away. He's not won a US Open since 2008 and the last time he looked competitive in the final was against Del Potro in 2009.

There's just too many factors that go against him in New York to ever see his chances as favourable. Probably the biggest one is the pace of the court. It's a lot slower at Flushing Meadows than at Cincinnati or Dubai where Federer has excelled over the years. The surface just doesn't sit well for the type of aggressive attacking game that Federer can profit from. Combine the court speed with the huge run off areas on Arthur Ashe stadium and it really has become a great place for defenders to run down every ball.

There has been a bit of surprise in the media over how well Nadal has done here this last fortnight but looking at the comparable conditions in Canada, where he dominated, there shouldn't have been. The stats in his semi final are frightening. 90% points won after his first serve goes in. 75% on second serve. Fortunately he was only serving at 55% which for him is fairly poor. I think he only dropped 13 points on serve all match and typically he was winning a lot of points on the Berrettini second serve. The worry for Medvedev is that his first serve % was 45%. He cannot afford to be below 55% against Nadal on Sunday or he'll simply get run into the ground. Would be a shock if Nadal doesn't take slam 19 on Sunday, then the rest of the season off with one of his injury breaks to prepare for Australia and clay next year.

Offline Mikky

• General Member
« Reply #13190 on: Saturday 7 September 2019, 11:15:49 pm »
Bianca Andreescu - wow, what a player  :yikes:

Offline Gottlob

• General Member
« Reply #13191 on: Sunday 8 September 2019, 12:28:25 am »
I do wish they'd speed up the courts. I know some people stress racket technology and improved standards of fitness over court speed, and that it's different on the women's tour where discrepancies in height and movement and three-set slams make for greater diversity, but on the men's tour you just don't benefit enough from crisp and aggressive striking. They seem to have played around with the pace of the courts at the Australian Open over the last few years, but the US Open seems slower than ever.

Anyway that was a great performance by Andreescu. I felt she had a chance because she is aggressive and seemed like the rare player who wouldn't be intimidated or overawed by Serena, but I still thought Serena would edge it. It's a similar dynamic to Nadal vs. Medvedev: I don't think Medvedev will be cowed, with the big caveats that he's played lots of games and had issues with his legs, and this match will be less about ball striking. Medvedev will have to serve well, but otherwise stick to his strange tactical shovel, and obviously it's going to be hard to out-think and outlast Nadal. He can change the rhythm a bit and he's not afraid of standing on the baseline, so hopefully it's at least an interesting match.

Offline DJ_NUFC

• General Member
« Reply #13192 on: Sunday 8 September 2019, 02:16:31 am »
Bianca Andreescu โ€” what a year for Toronto & Canada sports wise 😎

She even got her own hashtag: #SheTheNorth

Offline Mikky

• General Member
« Reply #13193 on: Monday 9 September 2019, 01:06:03 am »
Insane from Medvedev - 2 sets all from 2-0 down

Rafa should have wrapped this up on the 3rd

Heโ€™s the real deal Medvedev

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #13194 on: Monday 9 September 2019, 01:11:00 am »
Incredible how poor Nadal has been since the middle of the third set. You'd almost think he's the guy playing in his first grand slam final. It was kind of noticeable in previous rounds but he's not been playing well on the big points at all this tournament. Struggles to hold on break point against him and he needs a stack of opportunities to get a break. Almost like he's mentally gone when it actually matters. It's not like Medvedev is really doing anything special other than stayed there and waited until Nadal mentally collapsed at the end of the last two sets.

Offline Mikky

• General Member
« Reply #13195 on: Monday 9 September 2019, 02:11:53 am »
6-4 Rafa in the 5th - boy that was close in the end

Medvedev is seriously good

Offline Pip

• General Member
« Reply #13196 on: Monday 9 September 2019, 05:31:10 am »
I'm still numb after the Wimbledon, but Rafa is a true legend. 20-19 now, damn. Incredible. Djokovic will catch up too.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #13197 on: Monday 9 September 2019, 10:35:00 am »
The shot clock is one of the worst additions to the sport. People talk about the poor implementation of VAR in football but somehow tennis have managed to create ambiguity when attempting to enforce clarity.

In theory a good idea but in practice it's just pointless. The clock seems to have no defined start time. It doesn't necessarily start when the previous point ends. Sometimes it's when the crowd starts to quieten, other times it's immediately, sometimes it has to be ignored because of crowd disturbance. Somehow, something that should be entirely objective has become subjective in it's use with rules that vary to suit.

It's a simple case of either defining a hard set of rules for it's use or just removing it altogether as in it's current state it's too open to interpretation and abuse.

Offline ennyoueffsea

• General Member
« Reply #13198 on: Monday 9 September 2019, 07:20:46 pm »
Think it was initially set that the clock would start when the umpire calls the score but really the umpire should be applying common sense, for instance following an extended rally.

This umpire was totally inconsistent last night, sometimes pausing the clock and sometimes not due to the crowd.
Constipation scares the s*** outta me.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #13199 on: Today at 09:15:36 pm »
Not convinced of this laver cup going forward, novelty of it has worn out.