Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 268334 times)

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
Re: Tennis
« Reply #12975 on: Monday 1 July 2019, 06:30:02 PM »
Think she's finished to be honest. WTA tour is such that most players get 6-12 months where other girls haven't played them and aren't sure how to break down their game. Once someone comes up with a strategy then you see whether or not that player has the ability to mix things up to stay at the top. The list of players who come and go in such a short period is massive. Few have the staying power to still be in contention to win Slams after two years, fewer still after five.

You wouldn't want to have a bet on who will win the women's event. There's no obvious favourite.

:thup:

It's very hard to follow the womens game because of that.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12976 on: Monday 1 July 2019, 06:34:15 PM »
It's difficult for them to sell it as well I think. Once you get beyond the Williams sisters and Sharapova you don't have any real stars. Every 6-12 months you have new names in the frame, which is exciting, but you don't build up those household names like Federer, Nadal and Djokovic that really sell seats at events across the globe. The ATP have been fortunate to have those guys along with players like Murray, Nishikori, Tsonga etc who have all built big profiles regionally.

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #12977 on: Monday 1 July 2019, 06:37:21 PM »
Gauff giving venus a match.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12978 on: Monday 1 July 2019, 06:39:34 PM »
I've got Venus on one screen and Edmund on the other.

From what I've seen Venus hasn't looked particularly good on her backhand. Devastating on the forehand still but when she gets that looped ball without any pace on it she isn't generating the sort of pace on the backhand that she can on her other side. Tactically good place for Gauff to go as  she seems to be quick around the court and that'll buy her plenty of time.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12979 on: Monday 1 July 2019, 07:19:13 PM »
No idea why Venus insists on coming into the net. She's 8/17 and most of the missed ones have been self-inflicted because she simply hasn't put the first volley away.

Offline Pip

• General Member
« Reply #12980 on: Monday 1 July 2019, 07:35:02 PM »
Crazy that Zverev and Tsitsipas are gone already. Really disappointing.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12981 on: Monday 1 July 2019, 07:41:00 PM »
Crazy that Zverev and Tsitsipas are gone already. Really disappointing.

I wouldn't feel so sympathetic towards Zverev. He played 11 weeks of tennis in a row on clay and has played two weeks on grass prior to Wimbledon. A story came out the other day that the new tournament director in Washington refused to pay his appearance fee to get him to defend his title there this year. Apparently Team Zverev asks for $400,000 to get him to show up to non mandatory tournaments. Explains why he exerts energy playing 250 level events in Marrakech instead of focusing on Grand Slams. They see him as their golden ticket and they don't care about preparing him for the big events.

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #12982 on: Monday 1 July 2019, 07:44:04 PM »
Those courts look bad already on CC and No1.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12983 on: Monday 1 July 2019, 07:47:16 PM »
I'm trying to decide when it comes to wasted talent, who the bigger failure will be. Gael Monfils (retired fifth set) or Grigor Dimitrov (lost fifth set). Neither guy has maximised on their potential but both have had such effortless looking natural ability that it almost seemed impossible that they wouldn't win a slam at some stage. I guess Dimitrov has had a few big titles, while Monfils has been the French Tim Henman.

Offline John P

• General Member
« Reply #12984 on: Tuesday 2 July 2019, 09:44:30 AM »
Is there any way to get tickets for Wimbledon other than through the ballot / paying a fortune for corporate tickets / queuing on the day? It's my Mum's 70th next year and she's always wanted to go, but it seems difficult to guarantee getting a ticket without paying a fortune or queuing, which she probably wouldn't be up to doing.

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #12985 on: Tuesday 2 July 2019, 01:48:15 PM »
Is there any way to get tickets for Wimbledon other than through the ballot / paying a fortune for corporate tickets / queuing on the day? It's my Mum's 70th next year and she's always wanted to go, but it seems difficult to guarantee getting a ticket without paying a fortune or queuing, which she probably wouldn't be up to doing.

A small amount go on sale on TicketMaster for each day.  But it's very hard, it's ridiculously oversubscribed.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12986 on: Tuesday 2 July 2019, 06:55:27 PM »
Yes.

You can apply via the ballot. Which I believe is all done online now. You'll find out February/March if you are successful.

Another alternative is the Ticketmaster resale tickets. Those are two days before play and a day before play. So never ideal for making travel arrangements or as a gift. Takes a lot of luck to get them as well.

Another method is to join you local tennis club. All UK tennis clubs get an allocation which they then ballot out to their interested members. But often they get numbers of grounds passes for the first week as well which permit entry into courts 3-18.

Along similar lines I believe LTA accredited tennis coaches can get grounds passes for so many days. If you happen to know someone who coaches they could probably secure you a pair of passes.

I think there is also a LTA member ballot where you can join the LTA but not be affiliated with a tennis club and there is an allocation of tickets that they distribute between those people. But I'm not sure if that still exists.

Also if you happen to know someone who works for a sponsor or the BBC then they get ridiculous amounts of tickets to give out free for every single day. Ranges from grounds passes to Centre Court seats.

Probably not much help. There are so many ways to get tickets of different types but it's the one event where the only way to secure the seat you want is to be rich or stand in a long queue.

Online neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #12987 on: Tuesday 2 July 2019, 07:43:35 PM »
Yes.

I got 4 tickets via the Ballot and LTA membership this year after trying for years to get them. 

Online joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #12988 on: Tuesday 2 July 2019, 08:58:32 PM »
Andy Murray and Serena competing together in the mixed doubles

Online Sima

• General Member
« Reply #12989 on: Tuesday 2 July 2019, 09:05:11 PM »
Andy Murray and Serena competing together in the mixed doubles

Some team.

Offline Anderson

• General Member
« Reply #12990 on: Tuesday 2 July 2019, 09:17:25 PM »
Wew, class. Hadn't realised he wasn't in the singles.

Offline Mikky

• General Member
« Reply #12991 on: Tuesday 2 July 2019, 10:36:01 PM »

Online Sima

• General Member
« Reply #12992 on: Wednesday 3 July 2019, 12:30:47 AM »
:lol:

The f*** is he doing?

Offline Mikky

• General Member
« Reply #12993 on: Wednesday 3 July 2019, 12:02:30 PM »

The f*** is he doing?

He’s basically made millions at an early age and thought f*** it - come to Wimbledon and pick up £45k for less than an hours work

Not the first time he’s done this - a shame because he is so talented - just doesn’t care

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12994 on: Wednesday 3 July 2019, 09:45:28 PM »

The f*** is he doing?

He’s basically made millions at an early age and thought f*** it - come to Wimbledon and pick up £45k for less than an hours work

Not the first time he’s done this - a shame because he is so talented - just doesn’t care

It's not quite as simple as that with Tomic. Half of it is exactly that and the fact that he simply has a terrible attitude. The other half comes from his father John. Basically he's one of those tennis fathers that pushed his kids too hard to the point that once Bernard eventually broke free of his grip he simply rebelled against his old man at every turn. It's a tough one because in the early days John Tomic was desperate for his son to maximise his potential and got the pair of them a bad reputation with the likes of Lleyton Hewitt, Pat Rafter, Pat Cash etc due to various confrontations over the direction he felt Bernard should be going with his tennis.

It looks like since John has been off the scene with regards to Bernard's career that the lad has simply done what loads of others have when they've not had that strict parent standing over them and gone buts doing his own thing. He's ticked all the boxes too with a string of driving offenses, public order offenses and simply lacking in professionalism.

The other side of the coin is the one of having that natural ability to be good at something on a world level at such a young age but then not having the right mindset to progress when things become hard. Early doors he had a great Wimbledon run and there was a lot of belief he could be the next Hewitt. But he'd never really been tested coming into tour level and I think he believed that he'd just cruise to the top ten doing as he had done all his life. When he was faced with a bit adversity then things started to unravel for him. On the court he simply couldn't hang with top 20 players who were applying themselves much more in training and off the court he couldn't handle the criticism being leveled at him. The Aussie press probably didn't help as Tomic was the first, and only player at the time, to arrive following Hewitt's decline which put a lot of pressure on him to succeed. Unfortunately his personality couldn't handle ex-Aussie players criticising or even trying to guide him.

He'll be off the tour within a couple of years I think. Real shame because he had talent but a number of factors have gone against him and he really doesn't have the personality to deal with adversity.

Online joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #12995 on: Wednesday 3 July 2019, 10:03:33 PM »
Always really enjoy your posts in here O'Neill, really insightful

Offline Fugazi

• General Member
  • NE28
« Reply #12996 on: Wednesday 3 July 2019, 10:17:24 PM »
I like it when they hit it so it just lands over the net
Consider winning

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12997 on: Wednesday 3 July 2019, 11:01:54 PM »
I watch way too much of this joeyt.

The over enthusiastic tennis parent thing is something that plagues so many players. Must be a tough one though because so many players get to tour level with a parent as their main coach or advisor. But at some point that stops reaping results and the relationship begins to sour. Guess you get that case of both sides getting frustrated but because family is involved you can't just fire your parents.

Worryingly I think Alex Zverev is going to be the next case. Especially with Lendl involved now there must be tension in that camp given how Lendl is known to operate and the way Zverev Snr insists on booking his son to play so many tournaments.

It's actually a really interesting time in tennis. Players resigning from the ATP council. Indecision on who should join the board. Djokovic becoming very unpopular due to his connections to criminal Gimelstob and the pair of them overthrowing Chris Kermode. Lots of rumblings from players about prize money, equality, court scheduling etc. There's a lot of feeling that the game is stagnating and someone needs to step up to drive change but everyone has their own agendas. I think Wawrinka summed it all up the other day when he said it's 'getting messy'.

Offline Anderson

• General Member
« Reply #12998 on: Thursday 4 July 2019, 10:16:05 AM »

Online joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #12999 on: Thursday 4 July 2019, 05:23:47 PM »
Kygrios aced Nadal with an underarm serve