Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 254665 times)

Offline Shak

• General Member
Re: Tennis
« Reply #12975 on: Sunday 9 June 2019, 05:22:57 pm »
Winning the same slam 12 times :lol:

Just been on google, that puts him alone for most times winning the same slam. Margaret Court has 11 Aussie Opens.

Pretty cool :thup:

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #12976 on: Sunday 9 June 2019, 05:24:12 pm »
Keeps me alive in my drunken bet made like 10 years ago that he’d finish with more slams than Fed!

That Australian Open final last year is a killer. :lol:

Offline Pip

• General Member
« Reply #12977 on: Sunday 9 June 2019, 05:28:36 pm »
Keeps me alive in my drunken bet made like 10 years ago that he’d finish with more slams than Fed!

That Australian Open final last year is a killer. :lol:

That would have ruined me. I still think Rafa has one more non-RG slam in him. And he looks like he’ll continue to win the French for the next few years at least. I think he ends up with the most slams.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12978 on: Sunday 9 June 2019, 05:30:31 pm »
He has a small chance of another US Open. The court is slow enough on Arthur Ashe that it works for his game. But not convinced that late in the season that he'll have the legs left if he plays Wimbledon, Canada and Cincinnati on the way.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #12979 on: Thursday 20 June 2019, 08:27:31 pm »
Good doubles win for Murray on his comeback.

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #12980 on: Thursday 20 June 2019, 09:17:38 pm »
He's confirmed he's playing doubles at Wimbledon

Offline Mikky

• General Member
« Reply #12981 on: Friday 28 June 2019, 11:12:13 am »
Rafa with one of the potentially toughest draws I have ever seen - no wonder he was unhappy not being seeded 2 (which I totally agree with)

Sugita
Kyrgios
Shapalov/Tsonga
Cilic
Thiem/Querry
Fed SF
Djokovic FINAL

With Rafa its always about surviving the 1st week  - looks very bleak for him

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #12982 on: Friday 28 June 2019, 11:58:37 am »
Rafa with one of the potentially toughest draws I have ever seen - no wonder he was unhappy not being seeded 2 (which I totally agree with)

Sugita
Kyrgios
Shapalov/Tsonga
Cilic
Thiem/Querry
Fed SF
Djokovic FINAL

With Rafa its always about surviving the 1st week  - looks very bleak for him

I'm there for the 2nd round on CC.  Should be a very good game.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12983 on: Monday 1 July 2019, 05:39:08 pm »
It may just be me but the courts look a complete mess already and it's only halfway through the first day. The surface on Court 1 in particular looks visibly cut-up. Not just around the baseline either.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12984 on: Monday 1 July 2019, 05:46:25 pm »
As I say that I've just watched Zverev slip on Court 1 and Tsitsipas fall over twice on Court 2.

Zverev is also gone. Lendl won't be hanging around this boy long as he doesn't look like he has it in him to be a champion. When his big serve is landing in and he's able to play baseline rallies he looks a world beater. But when his opponent is making a high percentage of returns he falls susceptible to playing a short ball way too often.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #12985 on: Monday 1 July 2019, 05:56:33 pm »
Osaka out.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12986 on: Monday 1 July 2019, 06:28:36 pm »
Think she's finished to be honest. WTA tour is such that most players get 6-12 months where other girls haven't played them and aren't sure how to break down their game. Once someone comes up with a strategy then you see whether or not that player has the ability to mix things up to stay at the top. The list of players who come and go in such a short period is massive. Few have the staying power to still be in contention to win Slams after two years, fewer still after five.

You wouldn't want to have a bet on who will win the women's event. There's no obvious favourite.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #12987 on: Monday 1 July 2019, 06:30:02 pm »
Think she's finished to be honest. WTA tour is such that most players get 6-12 months where other girls haven't played them and aren't sure how to break down their game. Once someone comes up with a strategy then you see whether or not that player has the ability to mix things up to stay at the top. The list of players who come and go in such a short period is massive. Few have the staying power to still be in contention to win Slams after two years, fewer still after five.

You wouldn't want to have a bet on who will win the women's event. There's no obvious favourite.

:thup:

It's very hard to follow the womens game because of that.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12988 on: Monday 1 July 2019, 06:34:15 pm »
It's difficult for them to sell it as well I think. Once you get beyond the Williams sisters and Sharapova you don't have any real stars. Every 6-12 months you have new names in the frame, which is exciting, but you don't build up those household names like Federer, Nadal and Djokovic that really sell seats at events across the globe. The ATP have been fortunate to have those guys along with players like Murray, Nishikori, Tsonga etc who have all built big profiles regionally.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #12989 on: Monday 1 July 2019, 06:37:21 pm »
Gauff giving venus a match.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12990 on: Monday 1 July 2019, 06:39:34 pm »
I've got Venus on one screen and Edmund on the other.

From what I've seen Venus hasn't looked particularly good on her backhand. Devastating on the forehand still but when she gets that looped ball without any pace on it she isn't generating the sort of pace on the backhand that she can on her other side. Tactically good place for Gauff to go as  she seems to be quick around the court and that'll buy her plenty of time.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12991 on: Monday 1 July 2019, 07:19:13 pm »
No idea why Venus insists on coming into the net. She's 8/17 and most of the missed ones have been self-inflicted because she simply hasn't put the first volley away.

Offline Pip

• General Member
« Reply #12992 on: Monday 1 July 2019, 07:35:02 pm »
Crazy that Zverev and Tsitsipas are gone already. Really disappointing.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12993 on: Monday 1 July 2019, 07:41:00 pm »
Crazy that Zverev and Tsitsipas are gone already. Really disappointing.

I wouldn't feel so sympathetic towards Zverev. He played 11 weeks of tennis in a row on clay and has played two weeks on grass prior to Wimbledon. A story came out the other day that the new tournament director in Washington refused to pay his appearance fee to get him to defend his title there this year. Apparently Team Zverev asks for $400,000 to get him to show up to non mandatory tournaments. Explains why he exerts energy playing 250 level events in Marrakech instead of focusing on Grand Slams. They see him as their golden ticket and they don't care about preparing him for the big events.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #12994 on: Monday 1 July 2019, 07:44:04 pm »
Those courts look bad already on CC and No1.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12995 on: Monday 1 July 2019, 07:47:16 pm »
I'm trying to decide when it comes to wasted talent, who the bigger failure will be. Gael Monfils (retired fifth set) or Grigor Dimitrov (lost fifth set). Neither guy has maximised on their potential but both have had such effortless looking natural ability that it almost seemed impossible that they wouldn't win a slam at some stage. I guess Dimitrov has had a few big titles, while Monfils has been the French Tim Henman.

Offline John P

• General Member
« Reply #12996 on: Tuesday 2 July 2019, 09:44:30 am »
Is there any way to get tickets for Wimbledon other than through the ballot / paying a fortune for corporate tickets / queuing on the day? It's my Mum's 70th next year and she's always wanted to go, but it seems difficult to guarantee getting a ticket without paying a fortune or queuing, which she probably wouldn't be up to doing.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #12997 on: Tuesday 2 July 2019, 01:48:15 pm »
Is there any way to get tickets for Wimbledon other than through the ballot / paying a fortune for corporate tickets / queuing on the day? It's my Mum's 70th next year and she's always wanted to go, but it seems difficult to guarantee getting a ticket without paying a fortune or queuing, which she probably wouldn't be up to doing.

A small amount go on sale on TicketMaster for each day.  But it's very hard, it's ridiculously oversubscribed.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12998 on: Tuesday 2 July 2019, 06:55:27 pm »
Yes.

You can apply via the ballot. Which I believe is all done online now. You'll find out February/March if you are successful.

Another alternative is the Ticketmaster resale tickets. Those are two days before play and a day before play. So never ideal for making travel arrangements or as a gift. Takes a lot of luck to get them as well.

Another method is to join you local tennis club. All UK tennis clubs get an allocation which they then ballot out to their interested members. But often they get numbers of grounds passes for the first week as well which permit entry into courts 3-18.

Along similar lines I believe LTA accredited tennis coaches can get grounds passes for so many days. If you happen to know someone who coaches they could probably secure you a pair of passes.

I think there is also a LTA member ballot where you can join the LTA but not be affiliated with a tennis club and there is an allocation of tickets that they distribute between those people. But I'm not sure if that still exists.

Also if you happen to know someone who works for a sponsor or the BBC then they get ridiculous amounts of tickets to give out free for every single day. Ranges from grounds passes to Centre Court seats.

Probably not much help. There are so many ways to get tickets of different types but it's the one event where the only way to secure the seat you want is to be rich or stand in a long queue.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #12999 on: Tuesday 2 July 2019, 07:43:35 pm »
Yes.

I got 4 tickets via the Ballot and LTA membership this year after trying for years to get them.