Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 247898 times)

Offline neesy111

• General Member
Re: Tennis
« Reply #12900 on: Tuesday 29 January 2019, 08:32:35 am »
Murray's had the hip resurfacing operation which could give him a small chance of competing again.

Offline 54

• NUFC54
  • General Member
  • Remember...
« Reply #12901 on: Saturday 2 March 2019, 07:58:46 pm »
Roger Federer has won his 100th ATP Tour title at the Dubai Tennis Championships - 6,600 days after winning his first in Milan.

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #12902 on: Wednesday 24 April 2019, 04:52:38 pm »
ATP Tour Finals moving from London to Turin from 2021

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12903 on: Thursday 25 April 2019, 10:05:33 am »

It's an event that has been plagued in recent years by ticket touting. With ViaGoGo having a physical office opposite the O2 Arena and being the 'official resale ticket partner' of the tournament it has been open to exploitation. Basically their staff were buying up blocks of tickets for group games then trying to push them on at inflated prices when it came to sessions involving top name players. Hence why you would see whole sections of empty seats all week.

I'm not sold on Turin as the new venue though. It doesn't have the global accessibility that London does and that was always a key component in keeping the event in London. There's a suggestion to me that the ATP has had an assurance of some sort of money coming their way to have selected Turin. I suspect it will be a short stay before they move on again.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #12904 on: Thursday 25 April 2019, 10:53:46 am »

It's an event that has been plagued in recent years by ticket touting. With ViaGoGo having a physical office opposite the O2 Arena and being the 'official resale ticket partner' of the tournament it has been open to exploitation. Basically their staff were buying up blocks of tickets for group games then trying to push them on at inflated prices when it came to sessions involving top name players. Hence why you would see whole sections of empty seats all week.

I'm not sold on Turin as the new venue though. It doesn't have the global accessibility that London does and that was always a key component in keeping the event in London. There's a suggestion to me that the ATP has had an assurance of some sort of money coming their way to have selected Turin. I suspect it will be a short stay before they move on again.

Pay purse for tournament is going to be much higher, didn't realise WTA finals paid more than the mens.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12905 on: Thursday 25 April 2019, 11:35:11 am »
I think it's because the WTA pay losers in round robin matches as well as about twice as much in the doubles.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #12906 on: Monday 13 May 2019, 10:14:41 pm »
Looking like Djokovic will be massive favorite for Roland Garros.  Nadal is on the decline and I've got no idea why Federer has decided to play on clay this year.

Went to night session last Monday at the Madrid Open, will post pictures later.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12907 on: Tuesday 14 May 2019, 07:38:09 am »
Madrid is never a great tournament to judge Roland Garros by. The altitude makes the court play way quicker than it does in Paris. Usually find that Rome gives a better indication of where players are at. That being said it's Djokovic and he should be the favourite at pretty much every event.

The golden generation is really coming to an end now. I think Federer has posted his 'roadmap to retirement' and he's already starting that goodbye tour. He's going to play the clay courts this year to let the fans in those places see him one last time. Next year it will be all business as he looks to have a go at Tokyo 2020 chasing the elusive Olympic gold medal. After that, maybe he'll run things down for a final Wimbledon appearance at 2021, bowing out on the lawns at SW19 on what would be a huge day.

After having sat chatting to the bloke for 15 minute the other year at Andy Murray: Live I gained a huge amount of respect for him and I really would like to think he'll be able to go out on his own terms. Not always so in sport, particularly tennis but it feels like the Federer show should have a huge finale on the biggest stage.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #12908 on: Tuesday 14 May 2019, 08:42:01 am »
Madrid is never a great tournament to judge Roland Garros by. The altitude makes the court play way quicker than it does in Paris. Usually find that Rome gives a better indication of where players are at. That being said it's Djokovic and he should be the favourite at pretty much every event.

The golden generation is really coming to an end now. I think Federer has posted his 'roadmap to retirement' and he's already starting that goodbye tour. He's going to play the clay courts this year to let the fans in those places see him one last time. Next year it will be all business as he looks to have a go at Tokyo 2020 chasing the elusive Olympic gold medal. After that, maybe he'll run things down for a final Wimbledon appearance at 2021, bowing out on the lawns at SW19 on what would be a huge day.

After having sat chatting to the bloke for 15 minute the other year at Andy Murray: Live I gained a huge amount of respect for him and I really would like to think he'll be able to go out on his own terms. Not always so in sport, particularly tennis but it feels like the Federer show should have a huge finale on the biggest stage.

I thought it looked a lot faster than normal clay.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12909 on: Tuesday 14 May 2019, 10:41:14 am »
Nadal hasn't looked great this year to be fair. Normally he wins Monte Carlo and Barcelona but it's a bit early to suggest he's vulnerable. He lost last year in Madrid to Thiem and the year previous to Thiem in Rome. He's only lost the 1 set at Roland Garros in the last two years and he's swept Dominic Thiem aside in straight sets both years after losing to him in the warmup Masters events.

What will be interesting is how much of a factor the changes at Roland Garros make. The Philippe Chatrier court has been rebuilt in the last year to modernise it in preparation for installing a roof before the 2020 tournament. It's been a Nadal stronghold throughout his career but unlike at Wimbledon and the US Open, the changes in Paris are on a much bigger scale. Having less than a year to rebuild the court I do wonder if they'll have had time to lay the clay out far enough in advance of the tournament starting. There have been plenty of tournaments that have put the clay down last minute leading to a complete change in the way the ball bounces and how slippy the court is under foot.

Offline Pip

• General Member
« Reply #12910 on: Thursday 16 May 2019, 05:45:10 am »
I love Kyrgios.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12911 on: Thursday 16 May 2019, 02:55:58 pm »
Just completely flipped at the start of the third set there. Defaulted a game after getting broken following a throw of the racquet, kick of a water bottle then launching a chair onto the court. Not even sure if he was DQed or just decided he'd had enough and walked off. Mental.

*Edit - Apparently the tournament referee was called by the umpire so it has gone down as a default by disqualification.

That's bad news for Kyrgios as he'll forfeit all prize money, lose his tournament hotel expenses and then face a fine on top of that. Given he has a record then he'll likely face a bigger investigation with the potential of further fines or a ban. Not sure what the stance is regarding ATP rules and ITF events but there's a real possibility that he could miss Roland Garros and Wimbledon depending on the findings of the investigation. He probably won't be 'that bothered' mind.
« Last Edit: Thursday 16 May 2019, 03:18:13 pm by O'Neill »

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • plus d'argent, plus de problemes
« Reply #12912 on: Thursday 16 May 2019, 04:49:04 pm »
I thought Kyrgios was a veteran just milking whatever he could from his career, had no idea he was only 24. Time to grow up I suppose.

Offline Magpie

• General Member
« Reply #12913 on: Saturday 18 May 2019, 09:44:15 am »
Just completely flipped at the start of the third set there. Defaulted a game after getting broken following a throw of the racquet, kick of a water bottle then launching a chair onto the court. Not even sure if he was DQed or just decided he'd had enough and walked off. Mental.

*Edit - Apparently the tournament referee was called by the umpire so it has gone down as a default by disqualification.

That's bad news for Kyrgios as he'll forfeit all prize money, lose his tournament hotel expenses and then face a fine on top of that. Given he has a record then he'll likely face a bigger investigation with the potential of further fines or a ban. Not sure what the stance is regarding ATP rules and ITF events but there's a real possibility that he could miss Roland Garros and Wimbledon depending on the findings of the investigation. He probably won't be 'that bothered' mind.

He just wants to pack in the petulant f***er. He has to have serious issues.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12914 on: Saturday 18 May 2019, 10:00:59 pm »
https://www.atptour.com/en/news/tsitsipas-rome-2019-saturday-reaction

Tsitsipas suggesting similar to what I posted above about the speed of the court in Madrid being favourable when playing Nadal on clay. There were a couple of shots today where Tsitsipas stepped in to hit a winner only to find Nadal making the return for a winner of his own. If I remember rightly they used to actually play Rome before Madrid but then changed it because the players wanted to play in conditions similar to Roland Garros in the final event before arriving in Paris.