Author Topic: Tennis  (Read 262533 times)

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
Re: Tennis
« Reply #12900 on: Monday 3 June 2019, 02:40:10 PM »
Rather sad but Struff has probably been the best competition to face any of the top three thus far. And he was seen away swiftly in straight sets there by Djokovic.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12901 on: Monday 3 June 2019, 02:43:18 PM »
Watched a little bit of Nishikori. He's not going to trouble Nadal here. Quite simply doesn't hit the ball hard enough and with the pace of the court Nadal will just run everything down. Would need an awful performance from Nadal and a great one from Nishikori to see an upset.

Offline Pip

• General Member
« Reply #12902 on: Tuesday 4 June 2019, 02:37:03 PM »
Federer 0/8 on BPs so far. Won the first set but down a break in the 2nd. Wawrinka starting to dominate the rallies.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12903 on: Tuesday 4 June 2019, 04:21:53 PM »
Federer 0/8 on BPs so far. Won the first set but down a break in the 2nd. Wawrinka starting to dominate the rallies.

Federer will win that. Stan will run out of gas after that five set match with Tsitsipas. Would be a massive surprise to me if it goes to a fifth set.

More worrying is over on Chatrier Nadal is on cruise control against Nishikori. 6-1, 6-1, 3-1 after a little more than an hour and a half. Almost embarrassing for a quarter-final.

Offline Pip

• General Member
« Reply #12904 on: Tuesday 4 June 2019, 04:53:19 PM »
Stan saving a ton of BPs. Great match so far.

Bad timing for this rain delay. The quality of the match was really good.

Offline Colo's Short and Curlies

• AKA SP60sH
  • General Member
« Reply #12905 on: Tuesday 4 June 2019, 09:46:34 PM »
Murray looking for a farewell year at Wimbledon this year? Doubles at Queens then Wimbledon and quit? Can't see him limping onto the US and then into 2020 unless he can do Wimbledon 2020.

Can also see Fed announcing a farewell tour for 2020, with the finale at the Olympics chasing the one title he doesn't have
If you use supplements for your garden/pets/yourself please have a look at my mates website - www.thefulvicacidcompany.com

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #12906 on: Tuesday 4 June 2019, 09:53:07 PM »
Murray looking for a farewell year at Wimbledon this year? Doubles at Queens then Wimbledon and quit? Can't see him limping onto the US and then into 2020 unless he can do Wimbledon 2020.

Can also see Fed announcing a farewell tour for 2020, with the finale at the Olympics chasing the one title he doesn't have

No, he's only using doubles as way to build up fitness without putting too much pressure on himself.  His last surgery was a major success and he's pain free for first time since 2016.  The only way he would have played this year is if he didn't have a chance of fully competing again.

Offline Pip

• General Member
« Reply #12907 on: Friday 7 June 2019, 05:09:56 AM »
A blockbuster semifinal lineup today.

Heart says Federer in 4, Thiem in 5.
Head says Nadal in 3, Djokovic in 4.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12908 on: Friday 7 June 2019, 11:09:04 AM »
Nadal in 3, Djokovic in 3. Short afternoon.

Watched ten minutes of Konta. She's absolutely awful. Inability to hit anything other than a forehand. Doesn't know when to approach the net and takes no control of points. Unless she changes drastically she's done.

Feel the urge to comment on Zverev while I'm here. Needs to get rid of his father as a coach and listen solely to Lendl. The signs are that the Zverevs are money grabbers. They take the huge appearance fees that he demands and go to all the atp250 events keen to have a star in the draw to help sell tickets. Zverev has now played 9 straight weeks on clay. That's awful schedule management for a player not just in the top 10 but expected to challenge at slams. He'll never even threaten the way he's being managed.

Offline joeyt

• Loves an Anthem
  • General Member
« Reply #12909 on: Friday 7 June 2019, 11:56:43 AM »
Konta out. She really blew that

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12910 on: Friday 7 June 2019, 12:52:17 PM »
She's mentally fragile. All her opponents know it. Cause her a bit self doubt by keeping the ball in play and she'll implode.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #12911 on: Friday 7 June 2019, 12:54:49 PM »
She's mentally fragile. All her opponents know it. Cause her a bit self doubt by keeping the ball in play and she'll implode.

:thup:

She's either on it or absolutely awful.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12912 on: Friday 7 June 2019, 01:29:58 PM »
This second set should go to Federer. Serving strong right now. Needs to be aggressive on his second shot on return games. Get the serve in and pounce if Nadal plays a basic rally ball lacking depth. Forehand or two onto the baseline then come in to the net. Shorten the points to less than 12 shots to stop Nadal building any rhythm. Can afford to risk losing points on return. Last thing he wants is to get drawn into a lot of long rallies here which will really favour Nadal in the longer game.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12913 on: Friday 7 June 2019, 01:51:11 PM »
That looks like match unfortunately. Very poor to lose 5 consecutive points to drop a break after strolling to 40-0.

Will need a monumental effort or Nadal to drop in level significantly. Stats on Nadal are ridiculous at the moment. 82% first serves in and 65% points won behind that. So basically he wins slightly more than every second point on serve.

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #12914 on: Friday 7 June 2019, 01:58:03 PM »
How many more years do you think Nadal can contend at RG? It’s insane how much better he is on clay than everyone else. :lol:

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12915 on: Friday 7 June 2019, 02:03:24 PM »
Until his legs go. The pace of the court, the altitude, the humidity, the amount of run off space around the court. His game is built around maximising on every single one of the conditions here.

There's a chance Djokovic could do him in the final because his game is so complete but it would need a big performance to be able to edge Nadal out on the longer points. He's shown he can match him on clay at times throughout his career but to beat him in the final here would be another jewel in the crown.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12916 on: Friday 7 June 2019, 02:08:26 PM »
What will be interesting is when they put the roof on Chatrier next year. Could change the conditions when it closes depending on how they have designed it.

I'm expecting the usual Nadal knee injury break around the back of the US Open and then Aus Open again next year. Skip all the little hard court events and return fresh for the clay.

I just wonder next year if they'll play the ATP Tour Finals on clay in Turin. He's never won that and has been moaning for years that they need to move it to clay in the interest of fairness. Wouldn't shock me at all if he pushes for it again before the year is out

Offline Pip

• General Member
« Reply #12917 on: Friday 7 June 2019, 02:36:13 PM »
Nadal is just really good on clay. It's just insane. The break at 4-5 in the 2nd set was a backbreaker. Federer really needed to hold that.

Offline Mikky

• General Member
« Reply #12918 on: Friday 7 June 2019, 02:51:42 PM »
What will be interesting is when they put the roof on Chatrier next year. Could change the conditions when it closes depending on how they have designed it.

I'm expecting the usual Nadal knee injury break around the back of the US Open and then Aus Open again next year. Skip all the little hard court events and return fresh for the clay.

I just wonder next year if they'll play the ATP Tour Finals on clay in Turin. He's never won that and has been moaning for years that they need to move it to clay in the interest of fairness. Wouldn't shock me at all if he pushes for it again before the year is out

In fairness to Rafa, there's nothing of significance to him in-between the US and Aus open (its quite a boring period of Tennis is all honesty, I get bored by it too) - best to rest his knees for the sake of his longevity

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12919 on: Friday 7 June 2019, 02:55:28 PM »
Konta using the press conference to push the gender inequality point again. Bad card to play in my opinion.

Complaining about being put on the new third court instead of Chatrier where the men are playing. It's a hard point to justify to me. Roland Garros sold individual tickets for both men's semi matches due to the popularity of the men's game. They sold out their biggest stadium twice within a matter of minutes. Had they attempted to sell tickets to both women's semis they would have a barely half full stadium for both matches. It's a well known fact that at every Slam the women's semi final day, if there are no men's singles matches on, are the worst attended day of the tournament. At Wimbledon the BBC and other sponsors desperately give away hundreds of tickets to fill the centre court for the Ladies semi finals.

I'm curious as to what exactly Konta wants or expects. The women are being paid exactly the same amount of money as the men for playing only best of 3 sets here. That in itself is generous given that it is proven from WTA events that the women's tennis is not a draw. They aren't attracting the customers to the venue nor do they pull in a TV audience.

It has started to bother me recently when the argument of equality is rolled out without any recognition of the business that has to back it in order to provide sustainability. Countering that by saying "It doesn't matter, it has to be equal." is the biggest load of nonsense I've ever heard. If you can't draw an audience, secure big sponsors and a tv deal then you can't demand a huge pay cheque. I'm all in favour of equality but it cannot come at the expense of crippling the business model to the point that it's unsustainable.

Offline Mikky

• General Member
« Reply #12920 on: Friday 7 June 2019, 03:19:02 PM »
Konta using the press conference to push the gender inequality point again. Bad card to play in my opinion.

Complaining about being put on the new third court instead of Chatrier where the men are playing. It's a hard point to justify to me. Roland Garros sold individual tickets for both men's semi matches due to the popularity of the men's game. They sold out their biggest stadium twice within a matter of minutes. Had they attempted to sell tickets to both women's semis they would have a barely half full stadium for both matches. It's a well known fact that at every Slam the women's semi final day, if there are no men's singles matches on, are the worst attended day of the tournament. At Wimbledon the BBC and other sponsors desperately give away hundreds of tickets to fill the centre court for the Ladies semi finals.

I'm curious as to what exactly Konta wants or expects. The women are being paid exactly the same amount of money as the men for playing only best of 3 sets here. That in itself is generous given that it is proven from WTA events that the women's tennis is not a draw. They aren't attracting the customers to the venue nor do they pull in a TV audience.

It has started to bother me recently when the argument of equality is rolled out without any recognition of the business that has to back it in order to provide sustainability. Countering that by saying "It doesn't matter, it has to be equal." is the biggest load of nonsense I've ever heard. If you can't draw an audience, secure big sponsors and a tv deal then you can't demand a huge pay cheque. I'm all in favour of equality but it cannot come at the expense of crippling the business model to the point that it's unsustainable.

Totally agree with this

Offline Pip

• General Member
« Reply #12921 on: Friday 7 June 2019, 03:21:50 PM »
Thiem up a break. He needs a good start to build some mental momentum.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12922 on: Friday 7 June 2019, 03:29:28 PM »
Needs to win the first set I think. Difficult to play against Djokovic when he's ahead of you.

Offline Pip

• General Member
« Reply #12923 on: Friday 7 June 2019, 03:43:20 PM »
Thiem is overpowering Djokovic. Just absolutely smashing him.

Offline O'Neill

• General Member
« Reply #12924 on: Friday 7 June 2019, 04:11:20 PM »
Impressive baseline play from Thiem. Very solid and not making mistakes. The only downside I can see is that if he makes the final he's going up against the one guy in the world that does exactly the same thing but better.

Long way to go yet though and to be honest it's been errors and poor net play from Djokovic thus far. Only takes a few points to completely swing a match like this around.