Author Topic: How to lose weight and influence people  (Read 346072 times)

Offline durhamunigeordie

• General Member
Re: How to lose weight and influence people
« Reply #9775 on: Thursday 21 May 2020, 07:37:34 AM »
Long shot, but years ago someone send me links to the P90X videos - I don't suppose anyone still has them? I am after the Yoga X in particular. Thanks in advance.
Sir Bobby Robson 1933 - 2009 - RIP a geordie and a gentleman.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
  • Faster than a cannonball
« Reply #9776 on: Thursday 21 May 2020, 07:40:21 AM »
That might have been me as I had them and sent them to people on here but unfortunately it's 3 laptops ago now so I no longer have them.

They're great.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #9777 on: Sunday 24 May 2020, 11:03:40 PM »
Starting ADF/OMAD today plus 10+ miles/day on the bike. f*** this s***. Aiming for 100 miles per week and 1750/kcals on feast days.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #9778 on: Monday 25 May 2020, 12:38:28 AM »
Go for it man.

1700 isn’t a lot mind.

I think I need to go on higher calories for a week or 2 soon, been at it for a couple of months now.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #9779 on: Monday 25 May 2020, 07:42:35 PM »
25 miles done this week already. Had about 700 calories yesterday (two salads and more almonds than I care to admit) and 1200 today. (Some loki sandwiches on low carb tortillas) Down 8 pounds since May 8. I'm keto adjacent but I know my p*ss wouldn't say s*** to them stick atm. Not lifting ( :anguish: ) so I don't need a ton of carbs.

Still just the fattest got damned f*** on the face of the earth. :lol: It's mad how much I've gained this year. Absolutely mad.

Offline Kaizero

• General Member
  • Norway
« Reply #9780 on: Monday 25 May 2020, 07:51:23 PM »
I've gained 9kgs in five weeks and I hate life and now I'm eating ice cream thinking about how much more alive I was when I was leaner.
But only in their dreams can men be truly free. It was always thus and always thus will be.

Online chopey

• General Member
  • Co Durham, England.
« Reply #9781 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 07:03:05 AM »
I'm having 6 great days just now keeping under my 1600 kcal target and exercising every day but I had a bad day on sunday 2500 kcals and I feel like s*** and like I've put about 8lbs back on.
Mike Ashley stole my 30's

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
  • Faster than a cannonball
« Reply #9782 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 07:04:25 AM »
I'm having 6 great days just now keeping under my 1600 kcal target and exercising every day but I had a bad day on sunday 2500 kcals and I feel like s*** and like I've put about 8lbs back on.

Unless you're tiny 2500 isn't going to do much damage if any. If you have put any weight on it'll just be water retention and will drop off today or tomorrow.

You're golden.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #9783 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 10:04:28 AM »
Yeah, you've got to take those days in your stride. In this book I read (The Last Diet) it's put in terms of a 'lapse' and a 'relapse'.

A lapse is normal, you can get back on track the next day without feeling bad. You just need to stop it becoming a relapse, which is a complete return to bad habits. Helps me anyway.

Offline Neil

• General Member
  • The stretched twig of peace is at melting point
« Reply #9784 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 01:19:41 PM »
Bit of a ramble below.

I came to the conclusion over the long weekend that I'm possibly the unfittest I've ever been. I got my weight down to a vaguely acceptable level about 2/3 years ago, but for various reasons - completely my own fault obviously - I've gradually put it back on. Had various attempts at losing it but each time they seem to fizzle out after a few weeks. The ridiculous thing is when I lost a decent amount of weight a few years ago, it didn't feel like an insurmountable challenge, which frustrates me even more I haven't been able to do it again. The issue came when I stopped losing weight (as obviously it doesn't fall off as easily the more you lose) and like an absolute child, got frustrated and this initially led to me losing my focus. I wasn't doing anything overboard or extreme though to lose that, just sensible food choices, minimising the rubbish in my diet and staying active.

Think I had a "come to Jesus" moment over the weekend when I went for a 2 mile jog and I was panting for breath within about half a mile. :lol:

So for various reasons I won't bore you with, I think my mind has finally clicked that I need to do something about it. I'm going to take the baby steps approach and stick to the simple tried and tested measures - track calories, increase fruit and veg, reduce s****, plenty of water and make sure I do some sort of exercise each day even if its just walking to and from work (I live about a mile away.) Not going overboard, just going to take it small step by small step and making sure my mentality is right.

I'm going to try to remain accountable to not only myself by posting an update in this thread each week to track my progress. Got some realistic targets in mind over the coming months too.

Anyway, think I needed to get that down in writing; needed to be totally honest with myself so it felt quite cathartic. :lol:

Some of the stories in here are also properly inspiring as well. :thup: Keep up the good work everyone.
Thomas the Tank Engine is a f***ing c***.

Offline wormy

• General Member
« Reply #9785 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 01:45:42 PM »
Good luck, Neil. :thup:

In the same boat as you tbh. I've lost a fair amount of weight multiple times over the past few years, but when the losses slow down I just fall to pieces and end up about 6lbs bigger than I was when I started the diet. The lack of exercise hasn't helped; really need to persuade myself to go for an outdoor run.

Trying to turn it around again and signed up to a US website where you effectively bet on yourself to lose weight, because it seems if I don't have money on it, I don't stick with it. :lol:

Online chopey

• General Member
  • Co Durham, England.
« Reply #9786 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 01:47:02 PM »
Aye I agree, I personally have no reason to be fat, I feel good after exercise, I feel much more comfortable when clothes fit, I feel much more energised when I eat none processed food, the amount of food you can eat and still keep calories down is ridiculous, my only real vice is alcohol, which I have now cut down to fridays and Saturdays and only gin with diet lemonade, my weight is slowly coming off but sometimes I get really down when I've worked hard all week and my weight stays the same.

Finding other people on here with similar problems is a huge help mind.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #9787 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 02:08:57 PM »
I'm getting the point where it slows down, first stone was pretty linear downward line. Noticed my willpower getting a bit weaker over the last week or so, I'm getting more comfortable shopping for food more often too. But trying to go a couple of days without going for a coffee and snack to get the progress running again. I've proved I don't really need these things as often as I thought.

It's amazing how much you can do with just simple things though. I just tracked my food, I went for walks and did a very simple home workout (basically press ups and rows) and I look so much better. Funny how we normally faff around for ages trying to do different things. I'm a bit wary of changing it (like being stricter on protein etc) in case I make it harder to stick to.

I doubt I'd ever have managed this if I hadn't been locked down. I was looking into the psychology etc, but having all my habits broken was really helpful.

Offline Neil

• General Member
« Reply #9788 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 02:22:50 PM »
So much of it is psychological. For me its as much if not more about the mental challenge and the mental benefits as opposed to physical.

Sounds like a weird self-help statement but I need to redefine my relationship with food. I'm not going to be starving myself or not eating anything unhealthy at all, but having a few days of not eating rubbish isn't a reason to then eat some rubbish to "reward" myself. Having a s*** day at work isn't an excuse to order a takeaway. Even typing these statements it's so obvious they're absurd ways of thinking, but that's how my mind has worked for far too long so I need to make sure my mentality changes so that I can keep the weight off long-term, as opposed to relying solely on an initial bit of motivation, because that certainly won't be present every day. I'm going to be subject to the same sort of urges I or anyone else has, the challenge is making sure my responses to those urges are balanced.

You sound like you've got a lot of things in check, chopey. If you have a vice - and let's face it, the majority of people do to some degree - then I'd say don't berate yourself for having one in the first place, just be conscious about it and manage it in small steps. No easy answer though, obviously.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #9789 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 02:26:44 PM »
Highly recommend the book The Last Diet, I sort of knew the stuff in it but it addresses the mental side very well.

Trying to be happy at whatever size/weight seems the key, then you can enjoy the process. You're not going to suddenly be happy at some arbitrary future date or future size, there'll always be mental issues. If you like yourself now, then you know you deserve to be healthy and treated well (like with good food).

Offline Neil

• General Member
« Reply #9790 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 02:27:26 PM »

In the same boat as you tbh. I've lost a fair amount of weight multiple times over the past few years, but when the losses slow down I just fall to pieces and end up about 6lbs bigger than I was when I started the diet. The lack of exercise hasn't helped; really need to persuade myself to go for an outdoor run.

Trying to turn it around again and signed up to a US website where you effectively bet on yourself to lose weight, because it seems if I don't have money on it, I don't stick with it. :lol:

:lol: whatever works, man. Whatever works.

Maybe try going for a walk first and foremost? See how you feel. :thup:

We'll enjoy that medium value bottle of wine one day.

Offline Neil

• General Member
« Reply #9791 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 02:28:56 PM »
Highly recommend the book The Last Diet, I sort of knew the stuff in it but it addresses the mental side very well.

Trying to be happy at whatever size/weight seems the key, then you can enjoy the process. You're not going to suddenly be happy at some arbitrary future date or future size, there'll always be mental issues. If you like yourself now, then you know you deserve to be healthy and treated well (like with good food).

Aye, and that's the challenge I guess. Not to say I'm massively unhappy or anything at the moment generally, but I think the thing I'm most after is to be able to look at myself and know I'm looking after myself fairly well. The physical benefits are obvious and can't be understated but yeah it's having that self-happiness.

This s*** got deep. :lol:

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #9792 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 02:31:31 PM »
:lol:

So much of diet is psychological. Obviously some foods are physically addictive, but it's striking how some people just make the right choices almost without trying, and they would never consider (for example) McDonalds 4-5 times a week or an entire packed of chocolate biscuits as a snack.

I want to feel like I'm in control and I'm doing my bit, that's the main thing. Also women. Identifying those reasons is really important.

Offline wormy

• General Member
« Reply #9793 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 02:32:08 PM »

:lol: whatever works, man. Whatever works.

Maybe try going for a walk first and foremost? See how you feel. :thup:

We'll enjoy that medium value bottle of wine one day.

Those medium value bottles of wine contributed to me being this mess today. :lol:

:lol: What a blast from the past too.

Offline Elliottman

• General Member
« Reply #9794 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 02:58:51 PM »
The best advice I could give anyone who struggled to stay on track is to do you 'big shop' on a Saturday and Sunday and before you go, plan your evening meals (healthy obviously) for the week then go and buy the ingredients you need. It'll stop you coming in from work and cooking s*** and you'll waste next to no food.

If you stick to doing this for a couple of months you'll soon be out of the habit of thinking you're on a diet and it'll just become normal to come home and cook a healthy meal.

Eating chocolate bars, full fat fizzy drinks, crisps etc just comes down to will power, only you can change that.

Could it have feasibly climbed high enough to leave the atmosphere? ???

Online chopey

• General Member
  • Co Durham, England.
« Reply #9795 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 03:10:30 PM »
I had a mouthful of my sons Dr Pepper last week and thought my teeth were sticking together

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #9796 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 03:19:45 PM »
Shopping for food for more than a day is pretty much new to me, definitely has been really useful.

Also I don't have the problem of passing by literally every cafe, restaurant and takeaway in the world on the journey between work and home.

Offline St1pe

• General Member
« Reply #9797 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 03:34:34 PM »
Good luck Neil 👍

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
  • Sacramento, California
« Reply #9798 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 07:03:10 PM »
I was in a similar position to you about a year ago.  Today I'm in the best shape of my life.  If I can do it, anyone can.

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #9799 on: Tuesday 26 May 2020, 07:13:49 PM »
Yeah, good luck, Neil. The psychological thing is painfully true, like.

I think I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to spend my life in a perpetual cycle of being between 12.5 stone and 13.5 stone and thinking: "huh, I look and feel pretty decent right now, cool," and "urgh I hate myself." The first 29 years of my life have been like it so the next probably will as well.

Hope my gf's ready cos it's gonna be a hell of an entertaining ride for her.

In an seriousness it's so easy to feel depressed about your weight/appearance but normally, for me, even only a little effort makes me feel better. I went for the first bike ride in months yesterday and I feel so much more positive today.