Author Topic: How to lose weight and influence people  (Read 331176 times)

Heneage

Re: How to lose weight and influence people.
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 09:50:28 PM »
I wouldn't go crazy though you should make a diet thats manageable, allow in moderation a bit of chocolate or crisps.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 09:53:12 PM »
I wouldn't go crazy though you should make a diet thats manageable, allow in moderation a bit of chocolate or crisps.

Completely, completely disagree. Either commit to it or don't.

There are plenty of nice foods without resorting to crisps and chocolate. And if you struggle to moderate your intake of such foods in the first place, allowing yourself to start a 'naughty snack' is already halfway down the road to failure.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 10:01:11 PM »
Btw it is an absolute piece of p*ss to substitute standard products for the 'lighter' varieties of the same thing at the supermarket. The calorie/fat savings quickly add up.

Offline Andy

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 10:01:51 PM »
Dave is correct. Eradicate crap from your diet completely; permanently. One mars bar in "moderation" leads to two in moderation, three in moderation, four, five, six... and all of a sudden you're back to stage one.

You can't break away from bad habits by continuing to indulge in them.

Offline Gash?

• General Member
  • If I'm dead, you've been dead for weeks.
« Reply #54 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 10:09:21 PM »
And buy a davina dvd, if you get bored of it, your husband/boyfriend could always "use" it.

Offline Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• General Member
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 10:09:57 PM »

Do you actually know anything about....anything?

Offline Andy

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 10:11:41 PM »
And buy a davina dvd, if you get bored of it, your husband/boyfriend could always "use" it.

Ash speaks from experience. His boyfriend "uses" his all of the time.

Heneage

« Reply #57 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 10:17:01 PM »

Do you actually know anything about....anything?
It was an opinion, I never claimed it as fact. We all have different ways to lose weight, I've seen friends and family who have lost weight by cutting it out all together, and those who simply reduced it.

I dunno, I still think everyone's different. My brother was overweight but with the right moderation he lost weight.

Offline Gash?

• General Member
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 10:17:05 PM »

Ash speaks from experience. His boyfriend "uses" him all of the time.
FYP

Online Pilko

• General Member
  • Bunsen burner
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 10:19:02 PM »
However I find the abuse Pilko dishes out from his 6ft 7 pedestal quite a good motivator.

:pow:
"Does a struggling salesman start turning up on a bicycle? No, he turns up in a newer car. Perception." - David Brent

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 10:20:40 PM »
Processed food is a mother, it absolutely wrecks you. If you can eat meals made up of simple ingredients that you make yourself it helps a massive amount.

The fittest I've ever been was about a year ago, and I was eating massive meals - but all natural stuff like vegtables, tuna fish, cheese etc. I was eating until I was full every evening and I felt brilliant. Trying to get back to that now.

I don't know how it stacks up with being diabetic, but if you can eliminate all refined sugar from your diet you will feel amazing. I mean anything that has 'Sugar' or any of its forms (Glucose syrup etc) on the list of ingredients goes in the bin. This is quite hard to stick to but it's by far the best way to transform the way you feel IMO.

Offline fredbob

• General Member
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 11:01:39 PM »
Dave is correct. Eradicate crap from your diet completely; permanently. One mars bar in "moderation" leads to two in moderation, three in moderation, four, five, six... and all of a sudden you're back to stage one.

You can't break away from bad habits by continuing to indulge in them.

The problem isnt eating s***, its eating too much of it, if your advocating someone should have the self control to cut it out permanentely then they should have the self control to cut down to acceptable levels.

Even smokers dont use the cold turkey method, id hazard a guess that the most success occurs through people who cut down then give up rather than those who just try give up and never look at a ciggy again.
Ashley Bummer/Visionary

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 11:05:57 PM »
Smoking is a physical addiction though.

Offline GeordieMessiah

• Forum Colossus
  • General Member
« Reply #63 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 11:13:34 PM »
Sorry fredbob, you're talking s***. You're clearly not a smoker. Cold turkey does work. It did for me. :smug:
Whether it's God or the bomb
It's just the same
It's only fear under another name
And the corporate snakes coming in to feed
On that pathetic fact known as human greed
Skin and bone being raked over those hot coals
This dump never seems to give time for human soul

Offline Gash?

• General Member
« Reply #64 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
Aye, i know a few people who just wen cold turkey and havent touched a fag since

Offline fredbob

• General Member
« Reply #65 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 11:33:05 PM »
Sorry fredbob, you're talking s***. You're clearly not a smoker. Cold turkey does work. It did for me. :smug:

Id be talking s*** if i said cold turkey didnt work, but i get the feeling the intention of that post was so you could publically pat yourself on the back. ;)

Edit: Just noticed i said smokers dont use cold tukey, whcih was wrong of me.

EDIT EDIT: i did actually mean proffessional advice, i dont think theres any professional advice out there which says you should "just go cold turkey".

EDIT EDIT EDIT: I was actually just pointing out that its not wrong to say someone who is supposed to have the discipline to cut bad foods out full stop shouldnt have the discipline to be less excessive and eat less of the bad stuff.

Id reckon its be easier to control the aount of crap you eat than it would to cut out all the crap you eat.
Ashley Bummer/Visionary

Offline fredbob

• General Member
« Reply #66 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 11:35:48 PM »
Smoking is a physical addiction though.

Id say its a mixture of physical and mental.

Is there no chemical element that people get addicted to when they eat bad foods? Wouldnt that be a physical addiction?
Ashley Bummer/Visionary

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 11:40:44 PM »
I'd say it's very debatable, though I don't know the actual answer.

Heneage

« Reply #68 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 11:44:01 PM »
But surely it never works to go extreme? Things like Gillian McKeith etc. Im not advocating anything but I mean if you meet your friends and they say oh we're going for Nando's is it a terrible crime that once a month or a week you have some? Personally I don't see it as earth shattering.

Offline Fatwax

• General Member
  • NSFW
« Reply #69 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 11:50:48 PM »
Like all journalists, Nixons ramblings have a small grain of truth in them. ;)

I wouldn't do what Nixon suggests in the sense of just toning down, because you're still taking on a fairly regular source of crap.. but there's no need to cut this stuff out of your diet completely. What a lot of health freaks/gym rats do, myself included is to eat clean 6 days a week, nothing bad or after 8pm etc. etc. but allow myself 1 'cheat' day a week where I can eat pretty much anything I want. I tend to have it on a Sunday so I can have a big fat Sunday dinner.

Diet is a massive, massive part of fitness and is the difference between having abs on show and not. Everyone already has the six pack, it just happens to be covered in a roll of fat. :lol:
A light has gone out.

Offline GeordieMessiah

• Forum Colossus
  • General Member
« Reply #70 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 11:59:54 PM »
It's funny how there's so many puritans here, insisting that only such and such a method works or that indulging occasionally is a sign of moral weakness or laxity.

I think the truth is, it's probably quite a bit more complex, different strokes for different folks and all that jazz. Mind, I would say that, as I'm a fact hunt who loves his food, but also needs to lose a few stone now with a dodgy heart and man boobs adding to my many other physical afflictions.

They say everything in moderation is OK. I say I just want my f***ing cheesy puffs. :dave:
Whether it's God or the bomb
It's just the same
It's only fear under another name
And the corporate snakes coming in to feed
On that pathetic fact known as human greed
Skin and bone being raked over those hot coals
This dump never seems to give time for human soul

Offline fredbob

• General Member
« Reply #71 on: Friday 16 January 2009, 12:14:10 AM »
It's funny how there's so many puritans here, insisting that only such and such a method works or that indulging occasionally is a sign of moral weakness or laxity.

I think the truth is, it's probably quite a bit more complex, different strokes for different folks and all that jazz. Mind, I would say that, as I'm a fact hunt who loves his food, but also needs to lose a few stone now with a dodgy heart and man boobs adding to my many other physical afflictions.

They say everything in moderation is OK. I say I just want my f***ing cheesy puffs. :dave:

Who?
Ashley Bummer/Visionary

Offline Dinho lad

• i lov u hatem
  • General Member
« Reply #72 on: Friday 16 January 2009, 12:17:36 AM »
Cutting out late-night snacking.

eating at night dosen't make you fat.

Offline Fatwax

• General Member
  • NSFW
« Reply #73 on: Friday 16 January 2009, 12:19:39 AM »
Cutting out late-night snacking.

eating at night dosen't make you fat.

Does actually. After about 8-9pm your metabolism slows right down so the food you eat gets stored as fat instead of being burnt off.
A light has gone out.

Offline Neil

• General Member
  • The stretched twig of peace is at melting point
« Reply #74 on: Friday 16 January 2009, 12:19:55 AM »
I'd agree with most of what people have said in this thread. Don't beat yourself up if you don't start seeing results straight away, I'm sure you won't though.

Take it easy, and try and find a base to work from. For example if you are able to fit in some more walking, substitute just a few food items with healthier alternatives, you're on your way. The whole journey isn't simple, but the start is the hardest. Once you get this, you hopefully will be able to continue and get on a bit of a roll.

Whilst I wouldn't recommend strictly setting yourself targets, if you have something vague to work towards, it could help, but as GM said, it's up to the person. If you don't feel this would help then don't do it. Adapt people's advice to YOUR terms and circumstances.

And iyam, quantify your progress not through numbers, but how good you feel about yourself. Imo, that's the ultimate measure - because you are setting on this journey because of just that I assume; the fact you don't feel good about the way you are.

I say good luck and I really mean it - I myself am wanting to lose a bit of weight. Hope things are a success  :thup:
Thomas the Tank Engine is a f***ing c***.