Author Topic: How to lose weight and influence people  (Read 331177 times)

Offline 80

• Administrator
  • General Member
  • Negative Cat
Re: How to lose weight and influence people.
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 08:07:57 PM »
Don't be scared of a gym. 

I'm an emotionally fragile little flower myself and the biggest thing for me, and based on the fears of what you said here and in the other thread about going to the gym or whatever so this might help, was learning to say "who cares?"  when worrying about what people will see, think or say.

Think about your average day.  How many fat broads and tubby dudes do you look at and not even give a second thought about?  That's the same for all people.  The most that might register in their little pea brains is "hey, a fat guy." 

And most people at a gym ... you don't know them, they don't know you, who cares what they think?  Find a more mature gym if you're getting s*** from someone, or report them or something.  Most people, when they're working out and they see someone obese giving a good effort, aren't thinking of ways to belittle or demean them; most offhandedly think "hey, that person's at least trying to better her/himself."  but again it leaves the realm of their immediate attention/thought process pretty quickly. 

Fantastic post, and you're spot on about the bit in bold.

I'd second that as well.  I go to a gym where there's the muscle-clad posers and others who would be classed as obese I suppose.  None of them give a monkey's about how other people look and everyone is just there to concentrate on their own workout - whether that be lifting as much as possible or just walking on the treadmill for half an hour.

Give the local gym a call as I suspect they'll probbly do free inductions before you join so you can see what they offer.  This will also get you over that initial fear of going in to the gym.

After your first workout you'll feel class I tell ya!

It's true that to a large extent, the more self-obsessed the clientèle are the better if you're self-conscious.
Maturity is not Passivity.

toonlass

« Reply #26 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 08:08:50 PM »
Thanks a lot fellas. I really appreciate the support. Awwwww group hug!!!!  bluelaugh.gif

Offline NJS

• General Member
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 08:09:02 PM »
I know this is easy to say as well but having seen your photo i think your fears about gym and swimming are unfounded - I see people on a daily basis doing both who are a lot fatter but as others have said my thought is always "at least they are doing something"

Offline thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
  • Here's that Portuguese wizard battle you ordered.
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 08:12:18 PM »
Well I guess it applies to the self-absorbed but I also really meant that people don't obsess over something they notice as much as someone thinks. 

And how much you think they pay attention is of course multiplied twenty fold when you're self conscious.  The key is just remembering that you're one of the 20,000 people someone sees in an average day: do you really think they care or dwell on it?  And even if they do, so what?  You're doing this for you, not them.

Offline WhatTheFunk?

• General Member
  • TPFKA "Toon4Life"
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 08:12:38 PM »
Cheers guys. The walking thing definitley sounds like something I can do straight away (well not now cos its dark and social services probably wouldn't approve of me leaving the bairns on their own like). The swimming is a good suggestion (and one I WILL implement in the future~but am lacking a bit in confidence to go to a swimming pool at the moment). I will have a fridge and cupboard clean out too. I definitely think that a SMART plan will help. I have done this for my debt problems and am over £400 pounds less in debt than I was two months ago, so I can achieve goals I set. Will also read that article through again. ]

I know its a long term thing, and I won't notice any change in a fortnight but I guess I will know that I am doing it.

If you're willing to walk, then try doing it as soon as you get up in the morning. If you haven't the time, then wake up a little earlier. No excuses. You need to aim to go on a brisk walk (speed 5 on a treadmill), for about 30-40 minutes every morning BEFORE breakfast. This alone will go a long way to speeding up your metabolism by tricking your body into thinking, "s***! I must burn this food in case this crazy woman decides to walk on an empty stomach again!".

I lost 18 kilos in 2 years just by exercising in the mornings before breakfast, and eating everything in moderation. Chewing your food for longer means you enjoy it more, and eat slower. This will make you full faster, hence you will eat less amounts. Eating 5 smaller meals a day is best, with breakfast being your biggest. Plenty of all sorts of fruits and veg is great too. Make sure you're hydrated too. No need for crazy amounts of water, just enough to turn your urine colorless.

Andy's and NJS's advice on motivation etc. is quite good. Listen to it.

Good luck solider! Report back here with your progress. We can be your support group. No need to shell out any cash to do something as natural as this. Most of all, enjoy the process. You will feel incredible once you start to see results after the first 10 days or so.
Here for all the wrong reasons

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 08:12:58 PM »
Good luck with this, toonlass. :)
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline The Prophet

• General Member
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 08:18:31 PM »
I used to be a big load, skinny b****** now (although if you look at The NO match photos you'd think I've put on about five clem).

I know what you mean about the psychology. I used to be quite overweight. I eventually got sick of it started eating right and visiting the gym at least three times a week. However as ever life got in the way I stopped going, luckily simply eating right for a couple of weeks helped too. The break through came when I visited Rome on a school trip, it was so warm the pavements were melting. That coupled with a lack of food meant I lost a ridiculous amount of weight. I continued to eat right and go to the gym put on some muscle and I maintained a healthy weight.

Once you get over the initial fear of the gym its fine. But even if you don't do that eat right and start walking instead of driving or getting the bus. Even these simple activities will help. No matter who gives you advice on the matter it will always sound the same. It's up to you to get on with it really.
It's basically what gives us the upper hand even in times of crisis. "Cannit wait man, we're gonna batter them, hope it's 4 or 5 nil, fancy such and such for a hat trick, we're going got Europe, they're a yo-yo team" Then five minutes into the game "s***, why haven't we scored? They've had a shot! Why aren't we all over them? How come there are two teams in the game? f***, what if we don't win? f***s SAKE CLEAR IT SHOOT TACKLE HIM BOO! What if we lose, PANIC PANIC BRUCE MAN WHAT ARE YOU DOING WHY DID HE MISS THAT SHOT, IS HE A MAG?! IT'S BECAUSE BRUCE IS A MAG! f*** OFF STEWARD ARE YOU A f***ing MAG? BET ALL THESE COPPERS ARE MAGS, AND THE MEDIA! THE REF'S A f***ing MAG! AM I A MAG?! Wait, blacked out for a second there. Ah, f***, we've lost again."

Offline The Prophet

• General Member
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 08:22:04 PM »
Oh and good luck.

O0
It's basically what gives us the upper hand even in times of crisis. "Cannit wait man, we're gonna batter them, hope it's 4 or 5 nil, fancy such and such for a hat trick, we're going got Europe, they're a yo-yo team" Then five minutes into the game "s***, why haven't we scored? They've had a shot! Why aren't we all over them? How come there are two teams in the game? f***, what if we don't win? f***s SAKE CLEAR IT SHOOT TACKLE HIM BOO! What if we lose, PANIC PANIC BRUCE MAN WHAT ARE YOU DOING WHY DID HE MISS THAT SHOT, IS HE A MAG?! IT'S BECAUSE BRUCE IS A MAG! f*** OFF STEWARD ARE YOU A f***ing MAG? BET ALL THESE COPPERS ARE MAGS, AND THE MEDIA! THE REF'S A f***ing MAG! AM I A MAG?! Wait, blacked out for a second there. Ah, f***, we've lost again."

toonlass

« Reply #33 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 08:23:43 PM »
Thanks guys, I think I am going to take up Whatthefunks suggestion of saving my money and using this thread as my motivation and support group. Saves me a fiver a week I guess  bluelaugh.gif

Offline fredbob

• General Member
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 08:32:42 PM »
If your struggling with motivation to start with, then id suggest that you didnt go for a full routine straight away, take baby steps to build your motivation. Go for short walks to start with with your ipod (to keep your mindof the task) it wont help you too much to start with but you'll feel the psychologial beneifts and will push it more to whats more required eventually.
Ashley Bummer/Visionary

Offline Pip

• General Member
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 08:38:26 PM »
Best of luck with this, toonlass :)

Alcohol is the thing that you will benefit the most from, if you can cut it out. Not only are you not consuming all those calories, but you will save a bunch of money as well if everytime you feel like having a pint beer, just asking for a pint of water instead.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 08:48:56 PM »
Most of the bits that have helped me the most are very, very simple:

Substituting pop for water (a filter helps if like me you can't stand tap water).
Substituting crisps for low-fat/baked alternatives and eating them less often.
Substituting nearly all processed food for fresh food.
Drinking less alcohol.
Cutting out late-night snacking.
Running (as others say, just walk everywhere to start with).

Good luck. :thup:

Offline Tooj

• General Member
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 08:58:54 PM »

Substituting pop for water (a filter helps if like me you can't stand tap water).
Drinking less alcohol.

:laugh:
"Elsewhere, at worst, modern commercial football could be seen as the mall rather than the circus; insidiously bland, decaffeinated and pre-packed, its relentless formulaic repetition an instrument for disabling consciousness rather than manipulating it."

David Goldblatt

Offline Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• General Member
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 09:01:51 PM »
I envy fat people.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 09:02:02 PM »

Drinking less alcohol.

:laugh:

An English one helps even more. :aww:

Offline Gash?

• General Member
  • If I'm dead, you've been dead for weeks.
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 09:03:22 PM »
I obviously arent an expert on the subject here (see my pictures) but the main reason for most people i think is because they grab at s*** from the friedge or cupboard, if you prepared some healthy snacks that are grabbable that would make you less likely grab a chocolate bar?

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 09:05:51 PM »
One thing that always winds me up is when people complain about not being able to resist the contents of their cupboard. Er, try not buying s*** food/sweets/chocolate/ice cream/fatty desserts in the first place. That ought to help.

Offline Tooj

• General Member
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 09:10:38 PM »
One thing that always winds me up is when people complain about not being able to resist the contents of their cupboard. Er, try not buying s*** food/sweets/chocolate/ice cream/fatty desserts in the first place. That ought to help.

Also if you buy a novelty apron, I've heard that helps you cook the right meals.
"Elsewhere, at worst, modern commercial football could be seen as the mall rather than the circus; insidiously bland, decaffeinated and pre-packed, its relentless formulaic repetition an instrument for disabling consciousness rather than manipulating it."

David Goldblatt

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 09:10:51 PM »

Also if you buy a novelty apron, I've heard that helps you cook the right meals.

:aww:

Offline WarrenBartonCentrePartin

• Boring James Milner
  • General Member
« Reply #44 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 09:20:37 PM »
happens all the time at work.

Working on the frozen dept, I'm putting out what my colleague and I dub "fatty treats" (Little Britain).  The amount of seriously overweight people that pick up tubs of ice-cream with a look of guilt is amazing.  If you're going to carry the guilty look, you obviously don't really need it, so grow a f***ing spine and don't buy it.

Ash4's suggestion also works.  Take time out to prepare healthy snacks.  Most people take the unhealthy ones as they're ready to eat, so if you have time, make healthy alternatives (should only take 10 mins, tops) and you shouldn't have the need to munch your way through a bag of crisps.

Good luck with it  :thup:
Had a few dances off her when I've been in Blue velvet with friends. She's one of the ones who will push her fanny in your face, usually I like that but hers smells f***ing rotten. Only had dances off her because she agreed to take less money for the dances when me and my mate said we were skint.

I was a pure creep when I was a kid tbf. Used to spunk in deoderant can lids too

Offline Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• General Member
« Reply #45 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 09:22:47 PM »

lolz

Offline Fatwax

• General Member
  • NSFW
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 09:29:39 PM »
Ok, at the risk of getting dogs abuse from all and sundry I am going to ask for advice. I know I am opening myself up to p*ss taking from some, but hey ho, would rather have the p*ss taken out of me for trying than have the p*ss taken out of me for doing nowt about the situation.

I am overweight, have been since I had my first bairn 10 years ago, got worse when I left my violent husband and is now just something I live with. But I would like to lose weight, as I have been diagnosed with diabetes recently (my diabetic nurse is fairly s*** though, and apart from seeing me when I was first diagnosed in October last year hasn't seen me since) and I am sick of others taking the p*ss if I am honest. I eat fairly healthily (although I could do better), I drink a bit too much on a matchday (but am countering that one by taking the car to the metro station (10 miles away from home) and then a metro to the city centre, about 6 stops I think. I know I need to eat healthily and exercise more (and that is my biggest problem). I am scared of going to a gym, and I couldn't run the state I am in. I also have 3 kids, am a single parent and am doing a degree so have loads on in my life.

So does anyone have some REAL advice on how to lose the weight. How do I motivate myself when things get tough. How do I stop myself from getting down? Am wondering if a weightloss group like Weightwatchers or Slimming World would be any good (just for a bit of group support)? Would walking be enough exercise to start off with? If anyone could offer me some genuine advice about how to get going, and keep going then I would appreciate it.

Walking is a good way to start and jogging at a constant pace - or steady state running - is a massive improvement on that. When you first start running you'll inevitably run too fast and burn out quickly. Almost everyone does it. Don't be afraid of running slowly; a rule of thumb for jogging at a steady consistent pace is to be able to have a bit of an out of breath conversation whilst about to do it but without overly struggling to speak. Running is hard at first, you feel like your lungs are going to explode but no matter how much you've smoked, drank or indulged you'll find that you'll be able to make amazing gains with your running since the human cardiovascular system is such an amazing adaptive thing.

Now there is a major flaw with running.. because the exercise is aerobic and oxygen is in constant supply, the body will use glycogen until it runs out and moves onto fat to use as fuel.. this takes about 20-40 minutes so the first 20 minutes are effectively useless for fat burning and the benefit comes for several hours after you're done when your metabolism is constantly going.

The way to lose fat more effectively than anything though is something called HIIT - high intensity interval training. You basically jog for about 5 minutes to warm up and then sprint as fast as you feel you can for 30 seconds. Following this you can either jog, walk or stand still feeling sick for 30 seconds - 1:30 seconds (depending on how I feel it's either 30 seconds or a minute for me) and then you sprint again for 30 seconds.. then rest. You repeat this for about 10-15 minutes and then jog and cool down for about 5 minutes. The reason this is so effective is because the sprinting is anaerobic and causes your body to go without oxygen meaning your glycogen stores plummet and fat gets thrown straight into the fray. And the amazing thing with HIIT is that the metabolism stays in constant fat burning mode for about 24 hours afterwards! The workout is only about 20-25 minutes long which is a bonus but requires real work and dedication.

For motivation just look in the mirror. You're clearly not happy about the way you look and will be more critical of yourself than anyone. But if you do start exercise you WILL see a change, the exercise itself will release mood lifting endorphins, you'll sleep better and be well rested and overall your life will improve.

There's loads more stuff I could recommend you but this post would then get ridiculous. If you want to know anymore send us a PM and I'll be more than happy to suggest different workouts/dietry ideas that you like the sound of. If you find an exercise plan that you like the idea of you'll be much more inclined to try it from the start, see?
A light has gone out.

Offline Dave

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 09:32:13 PM »
Don't be afraid of running slowly; a rule of thumb for jogging at a steady consistent pace is to be able to have a bit of an out of breath conversation whilst about to do it but without overly struggling to speak.

That is absolutely spot on. :thup:

Heneage

« Reply #48 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 09:33:52 PM »
Tbh TL I've no excuse, I like Pizza, waaay too much.

However I find the abuse Pilko dishes out from his 6ft 7 pedestal quite a good motivator.

Offline Cajun

• General Member
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 15 January 2009, 09:47:45 PM »
Haven't read most of the thread but what Dave said is pretty much spot on. Will give a couple of alternative options though...

Diet drinks have something like 3 calories per can, "full fat" are about 150.

If you are going to drink try and stay off the beer, vodka and a diet coke/lemonade will be a lot better for you calorie wise.

Not sure if its true but green tea is supposed to speed up your metabolism.

Try and do as much exercise as you can, even if its just running up and down the stairs a few times. As others have said walk the walkable distances, its all too easy to jump in the car for something that will take you 30 mins to walk.

Not sure if you are a fan of lettuce but I have found the more you eat it the more enjoyable it becomes.

I have replaced my brunch time crisps with a snack-a-jacks (one of the big ones, they are about 42/46 calories each) it is about a third of the calories of a standard packet of crisps, even half the calories of the "good" crisps like french fries or quavers.

Have a look at some of the stuff you eat, its amazing how many calories are in certain things if you have never really taken an interest before even in things you have previously considered good.

It will probably take longer for you to notice a difference but it really does give you a boost when people around you comment about how much weight you have lost.

Not great advice, I tend to ramble on a bit at times :lol:

Good luck :thup: