Author Topic: How to lose weight and influence people  (Read 364734 times)

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
  • Norm life baby
Re: How to lose weight and influence people
« Reply #10000 on: Thursday 8 October 2020, 06:22:27 PM »
So decided I needed sort myself out after really going full throttle over lockdown. Hoyed on around 18lbs, and was probably the same again over from my skinny 2016 year. Since around 15th August I've lost 26lbs, with another 18lbs to lose to get me around 190 or 13.5stone.

Just been calorie counting and more recently back out on the bike, which is a shame I've found my love for the bike again just as the weather is turning. I do have kettlebells which I also enjoyed but had to stop 4 weeks ago as I pulled a muscle in my back and has put me off a bit.

Anyway, expecting the weight loss to slow down, 2lbs a week is the target, so 9 weeks, but tbh ill be happy with hitting it at Xmas, and pulling it back round after new year. If I can do that I'll be one happy camper.

Offline Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #10001 on: Thursday 8 October 2020, 06:27:21 PM »
Any good way to measure body fat? I've been eating under my daily expenditure for few weeks (My Fitness Pal tracking) whilst exercising sport/gym 4 times a week. I've put on muscle but overall weight is the same. Now this isn't an issue, I'd like to lose some weight but I'm fit and healthy, just like to know if I'm actually losing fat and how much.

Offline Charlies

• General Member
« Reply #10002 on: Thursday 8 October 2020, 06:48:01 PM »
Any good way to measure body fat? I've been eating under my daily expenditure for few weeks (My Fitness Pal tracking) whilst exercising sport/gym 4 times a week. I've put on muscle but overall weight is the same. Now this isn't an issue, I'd like to lose some weight but I'm fit and healthy, just like to know if I'm actually losing fat and how much.

Calipers are good, you can have a look online for the best way to use them. A lot of people I know have been buying weight scales which measure body fat percentage also, I'm not too sure about those yet.

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
  • Norm life baby
« Reply #10003 on: Thursday 8 October 2020, 07:05:12 PM »

Calipers are good, you can have a look online for the best way to use them. A lot of people I know have been buying weight scales which measure body fat percentage also, I'm not too sure about those yet.

I’ve got some, they seem to be good. What you do though is don’t take the measurement as gospel, it can get an accurate reading as pro medical equipment, but what it can do is track very well. So those loses and gains will be real, just might be out a few %.

Offline Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #10004 on: Thursday 8 October 2020, 11:03:58 PM »
Might look in to them then. I did have some hand held thing that measured fat % but I can't find it anymore. Just want something that gives a rough estimate to make sure my diet is actually working.

Offline Charlies

• General Member
« Reply #10005 on: Thursday 8 October 2020, 11:24:04 PM »

I’ve got some, they seem to be good. What you do though is don’t take the measurement as gospel, it can get an accurate reading as pro medical equipment, but what it can do is track very well. So those loses and gains will be real, just might be out a few %.

Think I'll purchase one :thup: I'm trying to get to a healthy 95kg/100kg for next summer, currently sitting at ~80kg which is up from 74kg in two & a half months so I think its doable.  Training at home 5 days a week is literally killing me though :lol:

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #10006 on: Thursday 8 October 2020, 11:29:12 PM »
You can get smart scales that measure body fat using an electrical current, they're quite expensive though.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #10007 on: Thursday 8 October 2020, 11:58:14 PM »

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #10008 on: Friday 9 October 2020, 01:16:03 AM »
Body fat scales are ridiculously inaccurate.

Offline NEEJ

• General Member
  • Kent
« Reply #10009 on: Friday 9 October 2020, 08:29:01 AM »
What that man said.

Offline NEEJ

• General Member
  • Kent
« Reply #10010 on: Friday 9 October 2020, 08:29:37 AM »
Think I've finally hit that point in life where i'm sick of being overweight and spending money on bait all the time.

Currently just over 18st and not sure what a reasonable weight to aim for would be. Any tips on what keeps people tuned in and away from temptation would be helpful.

Currently using a cross trainer I have in the garage as time to actually go out and exercise is slim with two young bairns and my lass. Haven't joined a gym as of yet as I want to build myself up to a better standard of fitness first.
Are you cooking your meals from scratch? Probably a good starting point if not.

Don't want to bore people with full backstory but I've started using Gousto as a way of making sure I even eat a meal on a night time.

It's been canny actually, nice variation and there are some reasonably healthy choices and I feel compelled to make some tea. Once I'm more comfortable cooking stuff I'll probs start making things myself.

My meal pattern was all over prior, maybe breakfast and lunch no tea, maybe just some tea. I'm trying to have a healthy but fulfilling breakfast every morning now and some light stuff through the day to tick over and a meal on the night.

The way I look at it is baby steps, my lifestyle was a Trainwreck of takeaway breakfast and coffees on the way to work,a Gregg's here and there, may e a couple takeaways a week. Even just saying to myself one takeaway but smaller on a weekend feels like progress such was the state of me.
:thup:

Offline NE27

• General Member
  • I'm a pretty boy living on the Westside
« Reply #10011 on: Friday 9 October 2020, 10:24:17 AM »
Thanks everyone for advice, I'm hoping this is that turning point for me.

Offline Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #10012 on: Friday 9 October 2020, 11:02:13 AM »

So whats the answer? Use Calipers or just use nothing?

Offline Matt

• General Member
« Reply #10013 on: Friday 9 October 2020, 11:04:26 AM »

It doesn't need to be that scientific. If you wear the same clothes, you'll notice the change in fit, belt notches and so on.

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
  • Norm life baby
« Reply #10014 on: Friday 9 October 2020, 11:25:24 AM »

Fat scales are fine. It will track your loss, but your % might be out.

If you get measured on pro scales and measure on your home ones you’ll know how far out the far is, but the tracking should work, unless the ones you’ve got are broken or s***.

The ones link earlier are supposed to be excellent. I got mine for half the price, but a no make. What sold me was aaa batteries so easier to keep it going than buying those flat things.  :lol:

Offline Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #10015 on: Friday 9 October 2020, 11:37:35 AM »

It doesn't need to be that scientific. If you wear the same clothes, you'll notice the change in fit, belt notches and so on.

I get this idea but if I'm putting on muscle mass how can I tell? Like I said earlier I'm not too fussed as I'm fit and active I just want to ensure that my weight is staying the same due to increased muscle not that my diet is totally wrong.

Offline Troll

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #10016 on: Friday 9 October 2020, 12:00:05 PM »

I get this idea but if I'm putting on muscle mass how can I tell? Like I said earlier I'm not too fussed as I'm fit and active I just want to ensure that my weight is staying the same due to increased muscle not that my diet is totally wrong.

Mirror?

Offline bovineblue

• General Member
« Reply #10017 on: Friday 9 October 2020, 03:46:51 PM »

I've got body fat scales and the body fat percentage is worked out using some algorithm which seems to be directly linked to how much you weigh. Belt notches is the best way to tell from my experience, it's not super accurate but I honestly don't think that the belt ever lies.

Offline turbonegro

• General Member
  • norway
« Reply #10018 on: Friday 9 October 2020, 06:10:12 PM »

Can you not just measure your waist e.g. every 2-4 weeks? Measuring the circumference of your waist (about half an inch above your bellybutton) is a simple way of knowing whether you're putting on visceral fat or muscle mass.
« Last Edit: Tuesday 13 October 2020, 05:30:19 PM by turbonegro »
Life is like a dry handjob

Offline La Parka

• Not Leeds Mag
  • General Member
« Reply #10019 on: Friday 16 October 2020, 09:13:45 PM »
Just ran my first 10k. Also no longer obese. Today is a good day.

Online Yorkie

• General Member
« Reply #10020 on: Friday 16 October 2020, 09:21:26 PM »
10k is a fantastic effort at any weight. Major congrats.

Online triggs

• eirenufcfan
  • General Member
  • I've had my fun and that's all that matters
« Reply #10021 on: Friday 16 October 2020, 09:24:47 PM »
Great stuff, keep it up.

Making good progress in the gym myself, will be really annoyed if they close
"Lots of young fellas runnin' around in shorts, that's the kind of think you like looking at, and I bet you like that too, only you're probably imagining what they'd look like without shorts, you're sitting there imagining that with a big smile on your face, ya dirty fecker"

Offline NE27

• General Member
  • I'm a pretty boy living on the Westside
« Reply #10022 on: Friday 16 October 2020, 11:10:46 PM »
Congratulations on that achievement man. I'll keep my eye in here as it's good advice and motivation for myself to get out of that obese bracket!