Author Topic: The photo thread  (Read 594283 times)

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
Re: The photo thread
« Reply #11350 on: Friday 3 July 2020, 08:41:36 PM »
Had a bit of a result with my trading in this time, the 18-55 I was trading against the X100T has been accepted as a return rather than a refund (was only just out of its return period but not very far) and has saved me about seventy quid, so I've picked up a 7artisans 55mm f/1.4 as well.  Equivalent to full frame 85mm f/2 so should be pretty spectacular as a portraiture lens (although of course it'll be dogs only :lol:) as long as I can focus it.  Both coming tomorrow; was supposed to be going up to Glencoe but I might just wait in and get batteries charged for a boozy and windy Sunday in Newcastle, which might be a winning combination for street photography :)

Been really enjoying using the Samyang (although I accept that manual focus on a 12mm is a different world to manual focus on a 55mm) and it brought back to me how much I love the feel of a good fast prime.  Now I've got a camera which has actual focusing aids, rather than the old EPM1 I used to use, I should do OK on fairly motionless subjects :)  I read a few reviews and it's as easy to find bad ones as good but I usually let the images speak for themselves and work on the basis that if they can, I can :)  There are a couple of reviews showing fairly spectacular results, even wide open using an X-T3 so hopefully my experience won't be too different - might even be better given my 16mp sensor won't push the lens as hard as the 24mp in the newer XTs.

About time you had a bit luck  :lol:

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11351 on: Friday 3 July 2020, 11:24:02 PM »
[emoji38] it is at that, aye

Pbxtn: not sure, this was my first one and it worked out as a return rather than a trade in the end. They told me three to five days though, and it's a fairly painless process (they'll arrange a courier to pick up your gear for free as well). Return refunds have never taken more than a day or two, they're the quickest and probably best of the big three shops though their prices aren't always the best (and they can't tell if a Ricoh GR has a clean sensor or not)

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11352 on: Yesterday at 02:12:22 PM »
Bokehlicious at 1.4, as anticipated.  Has a bit of a soft glow to it at 100% (like the X100 lens does) when it's focused close and wide open but it's quite a nice look tbh (and I can't imagine I'll be using it wide open that often, for fear of getting absolutely nowt in focus).  Looking forward to trying it on more interesting subjects than these rainy day staples :)  Build quality is lovely, all metal and the glass is immaculate.  Declicked aperture ring will take some getting used to but allows for absolutely precise control over depth of field.  Their other lenses have a mixed reputation (the 25mm in particular) but on the strength of this one I'll be tempted to pick up their 35mm f/1.2 (50mm equivalent) and their 60mm f/2.8 macro as well tbh.

X100T feels very different to the S, somehow.  I don't particularly like it in black, much more striking in silver, but it is undeniably plainer for work on the street.  People liked having 1/3rd stops on the aperture ring but I think I preferred the S's whole stop approach, made the effects of your adjustments much more obvious.

Both lens and camera appear to be in great condition :lol:

Offline Infinitely Content

• General Member
  • Life imitates art
« Reply #11353 on: Yesterday at 02:16:56 PM »
Looks good :thup:

I agree with the whole stops thing by the way... Leica also has 1/3rd stops between the values but for the most part I'd rather full stops, gets you the exposures you need 99% of the time and as you say means you can change without having to double check...

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11354 on: Yesterday at 02:21:58 PM »

Aye.  I can't think there's ever been an occasion where I've been at f/5.6 and thought, "you know what will look better?  6.3" :lol:  Maybe I'm just not experienced enough yet.  They lost the crappy little wheel on the back of the camera so there wasn't any physical control for the fine tuning any more, but never mind :)  Everything else about it is a definite improvement.  Particularly nice to be able to customise the Q menu and just take out all the s**** you don't need as a raw shooter.

Offline OpenC

• General Member
  • NN989989
« Reply #11355 on: Yesterday at 07:48:30 PM »

Six from each.  Was like going home.  I've missed this sort of thing, got to be honest :)  Probably won't bother taking the full kit next time I'm in town, the X100T will do me.  Just wanted a bit of practice with the manual focus, seems easy enough.  These were all absolutely wide open at f/1.4 so as bad as the lens is going to be.