Author Topic: The 'GOLF' thread  (Read 130931 times)

Offline Neil

• General Member
  • The stretched twig of peace is at melting point
Re: The 'GOLF' thread
« Reply #5400 on: Sunday 15 November 2020, 07:54:17 PM »
Absolutely incredible standard. 20 f***ing under.
Thomas the Tank Engine is a f***ing c***.

Offline geordie_b

• General Member
  • Gateshead, UK
« Reply #5401 on: Sunday 15 November 2020, 08:09:18 PM »

Meh, was a poor Masters imo

Online cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #5402 on: Sunday 15 November 2020, 09:36:30 PM »
Really dislike DJ but he is the best golfer on planet earth right now. Well played.

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #5403 on: Monday 16 November 2020, 01:11:07 AM »

Meh, was a poor Masters imo

Think both of you are right.

Augusta will never play easier but -20 is still fantastic.

Was a real letdown for the viewer though for sure given the leaderboard we had after round two. The way DJ played he was always gonna be hard to beat but you’d have thought at least one of Rahm or Thomas would do something on Saturday and keep him within striking distance. Smith and Im got close at points on Sunday but you never felt either were gonna be able to keep it up... would have been nice if one of the other top players had kept pace.

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #5404 on: Monday 16 November 2020, 01:12:50 AM »
Morikawa, DeChambeau and DJ is quite the trio of major winners on the season btw.

Ryder Cup this year would have been an absolute massacre, hopefully by next season Europe will have some players in better form.

Online cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #5405 on: Tuesday 17 November 2020, 04:34:39 PM »

Course was pretty moist yesterday but this always a great sight when you walk up to the green. :smitten:

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #5406 on: Saturday 21 November 2020, 12:18:24 PM »
Saw this earlier and shows the importance of course management.

« Last Edit: Saturday 21 November 2020, 05:43:22 PM by neesy111 »

Online cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #5407 on: Saturday 21 November 2020, 05:25:46 PM »
Love that.

I was having a discussion with my buddy the other day and we were talking about how we don't think Bryson will ever be a true great. I personally think he'll win a few tournaments a year, probably a few majors over his career, but his game is just so inconsistent. I think his legacy will be about how he "changed" the game rather than how he dominated it.

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #5408 on: Saturday 21 November 2020, 05:47:09 PM »
He might have the same issue at Augusta that McIlroy has, it’s a second shot golf course and it’s not what he does best. Augusta rewards length off the tee like almost any course does but you can get away with being wild, the key to it has been that you’re good with your approach play. Miss the fairway and it’s not usually a big issue, miss the green in the wrong place or get yourself in the wrong spot for your putt and you’re dead. It’s why Tiger and Phil are so good there, both are erratic off the tee but they’re both brilliant with the irons and wedges. It’s why Spieth is so well suited to it too.

To DeChambeau’s credit a lot of his reasoning for bulking up was to take short iron play out of the equation as it’s the weakness of his game. But it’s still a course where you need to be on point with the short irons. He’s a better putter than McIlroy, so maybe he can overcome... but I do think improving that part of his game might be necessary to consistently compete at Augusta. The targets are just too small.

DJ is a good example. He put some serious time into improving his wedge game a few years back and it really was the catalyst to him fulfilling his potential. He’s such a good approach player now and the result has been five straight top tens at Augusta after struggling there early in his career. I do wonder where his career would be had he not fallen down the stairs the day before the Masters in 2017. He’d won three tournaments on the bounce and was just a machine at the time, looked like he might win a couple of majors that year. Never managed to get back to that level of play again... until the end of the season this this year. It’ll be interesting to see if he can maintain this form through the turn of the year.

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #5409 on: Saturday 21 November 2020, 05:48:13 PM »

Course was pretty moist yesterday but this always a great sight when you walk up to the green. :smitten:

That’s lovely by the way :aww:

Offline CFlan

• General Member
  • f*** Steve Mills.
« Reply #5410 on: Friday 27 November 2020, 10:13:29 PM »
Anyone watching this? Barkley is box office :lol:

Online cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #5411 on: Friday 27 November 2020, 10:16:33 PM »
:lol: I am. The course is f***ing 🤤🤤🤤 and I’m so jealous of Barkley right now getting an 18-hole golf class with Phil.

Offline CFlan

• General Member
  • f*** Steve Mills.
« Reply #5412 on: Friday 27 November 2020, 10:29:09 PM »
Aye, I’ve never seen a course like this before. The fairways are making me nauseous :lol:

I never use a cart but those ones are nicer than my car.

Online cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #5413 on: Friday 27 November 2020, 10:32:33 PM »
They also look fast as f***. Easily twice as fast as any cart I've used. :lol:

Offline CFlan

• General Member
  • f*** Steve Mills.
« Reply #5414 on: Friday 27 November 2020, 11:19:28 PM »
Alright, it’s gone to s*** now :lol:

Online cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #5415 on: Saturday 28 November 2020, 12:11:55 AM »
I know Barkley has always been kind of a joke on these things but damn he's bad. Like I think I'm a better golfer than he is :lol:

Online cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #5416 on: Saturday 28 November 2020, 12:13:56 AM »
My parents go down every March and stay in a vacation rental not far from this course and my dad plays like 90 holes a week around there. Hella jealous of him now that I'm sitting here watching this.

Offline CFlan

• General Member
  • f*** Steve Mills.
« Reply #5417 on: Saturday 28 November 2020, 12:27:51 AM »
I know Barkley has always been kind of a joke on these things but damn he's bad. Like I think I'm a better golfer than he is :lol:

Never mind Barkley, I’d be confident taking on Manning after watching that :lol: