Author Topic: The 'GOLF' thread  (Read 127634 times)

Offline Shak

• General Member
Re: The 'GOLF' thread
« Reply #5275 on: Monday 12 October 2020, 01:03:33 AM »
Martin laird going down 18 needing a par to win, just holed a massive par putt on 17.

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #5276 on: Monday 12 October 2020, 01:10:28 AM »
Yeah I've been playing quite a bit actually. Not well at all, but a lot. I'm starting to think you just kind of go through these phases where you ebb and flow between shooting well and shooting like garbage.

Closing out a season tomorrow afternoon at a local club. Thinking about getting a tee time for Wednesday to play with my dad too.

Yeah it’s definitely a game of peaks and troughs, I suspect a bad patch is just around the corner for me so gotta enjoy these rounds while they’re happening. :lol:

Funny thing is that both the last two weeks have been the same. Great start and finish to the round with a period in the middle where I go off the boil a bit and hit some ropey ones.

Course is f***ing soaked though, desperately need some dry weather.

Decided I’m gonna try to get myself a new driver... f***ing expensive things though :lol:

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #5277 on: Monday 12 October 2020, 01:15:13 AM »
Martin laird going down 18 needing a par to win, just holed a massive par putt on 17.

Three s**** shots left him a long par putt. Nearly holed it but man that was some poor golf.

Three man playoff.  Wolff to finally get a win this year?

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #5278 on: Monday 12 October 2020, 01:26:41 AM »
Yeah I've been playing quite a bit actually. Not well at all, but a lot. I'm starting to think you just kind of go through these phases where you ebb and flow between shooting well and shooting like garbage.

Closing out a season tomorrow afternoon at a local club. Thinking about getting a tee time for Wednesday to play with my dad too.

Yeah it’s definitely a game of peaks and troughs, I suspect a bad patch is just around the corner for me so gotta enjoy these rounds while they’re happening. :lol:

Funny thing is that both the last two weeks have been the same. Great start and finish to the round with a period in the middle where I go off the boil a bit and hit some ropey ones.

Course is f***ing soaked though, desperately need some dry weather.

Decided I’m gonna try to get myself a new driver... f***ing expensive things though :lol:

I still have yet to buy a club but yeah, they ain't cheap for sure. I find it hard to drop $400+ on just about anything.

I was thinking I really wanted a new putter but I think I finally figured mine out. Dropped a ~40ft putt on the 18th last week which immediately made up for the garbage golf that I had played that day. :lol:

I haven't been keeping score much at all anyway, mostly just something I can practice and have fun hanging with the boys for a few hours. And an excuse to day-drink. :lol:

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #5279 on: Monday 12 October 2020, 01:39:22 AM »
Yeah no way I’m spending that on a club but I’ve told anybody who buys me Christmas presents that I want a gift voucher for a golf shop. That should get me most of the way there.

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #5280 on: Tuesday 13 October 2020, 09:09:10 PM »

Was a real nice day for golf yesterday. :aww:

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #5281 on: Thursday 15 October 2020, 12:13:36 AM »
+9 today not bad for 30+mph winds ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Shearergol

• General Member
« Reply #5282 on: Thursday 15 October 2020, 08:45:37 AM »
Love that pic.

What are your club average distances btw? I've changed my grip in the last couple of weeks which has finally made me consistent with direction but I think I've lost 20-30 yards off most clubs.

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #5283 on: Thursday 15 October 2020, 09:26:43 AM »
Lovely pic alright. My course is soaked at the moment, hit a good drive and you get up there and see the ball a few inches from the pitch mark. Makes the course play f***ing long :lol:

+9 is really f***ing solid man, good going. Lots of consistent pars and bogeys or are you up and down from hole to hole. When I play well it tends to be the former, never been someone who makes quite enough birdies.

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #5284 on: Thursday 15 October 2020, 07:32:34 PM »
Definitely a lot more all over the place, up and down. My iron game is pretty strong in comparison to my driver game, so the par 3s and short part 4s tend to help me get birdie opportunities. I spend most of the rest of the holes doing damage limitation and getting bogeys :lol:

My short game has gotten immensely better over this summer and being able to drain putts from further distances has helped quite a bit too. I also, after watching a lot of golf on TV this summer, became a fan of the lag putt which was never really a thing for me before until the light bulb went off that my score would drop significantly if I wasn't doing three/four putts and just using the first putt to get close enough to the hole to make most of them two putts. Obviously clear as day for most golfers but I had to have my eureka moment myself :lol:

What are your club average distances btw? I've changed my grip in the last couple of weeks which has finally made me consistent with direction but I think I've lost 20-30 yards off most clubs.

Actually changed my grip recently too (went stronger) so I could gain more consistent direction and lost some distance as well but more like 10-20. My PW is good from about 110, anything longer than that is really pushing it. I only do a 3/4 swing so my club head speed is a bit slower than some people so my clubs go about 10-12 yards difference between each other and I carry irons up to 4. I keep a SW for the bunkers and shorter wedge shots, and a 64 for when I just need to flop it up there.

Offline CFlan

• General Member
  • f*** Steve Mills.
« Reply #5285 on: Wednesday 21 October 2020, 10:28:18 AM »
Was drinking at home last night and I woke up to discover I bought not one but two putters on EBay :lol:

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #5286 on: Wednesday 21 October 2020, 11:14:17 AM »
At some point I’d like to buy the Billy Baroo putter from Caddyshack and carry two putters in my bag. Break it out occasionally for a pressure putt.

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #5287 on: Wednesday 21 October 2020, 11:16:29 AM »
God what a scene :lol:

Offline CFlan

• General Member
  • f*** Steve Mills.
« Reply #5288 on: Wednesday 21 October 2020, 11:28:04 AM »
:lol: unfortunately my 2 are big mallet putters.

Offline Mike

• General Member
« Reply #5289 on: Wednesday 21 October 2020, 11:43:23 AM »
:lol: How do I not remember that.

Offline Shak

• General Member
« Reply #5290 on: Wednesday 21 October 2020, 02:19:39 PM »
The fact that he actually makes the putt is wonderful, really makes it. :lol:

Like this scene from Happy Gilmore, the whole scene before isn’t half as funny if he doesn’t stand up and nail the putt like a f***ing legend.

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #5291 on: Friday 23 October 2020, 12:23:48 AM »
The houses on this course this week.  :kasper:

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #5292 on: Saturday 24 October 2020, 12:14:14 AM »
Finally got to bet on Wolff again...just looking at the leaderboard...ah T48. Perfect.