Author Topic: Yes please! New phones thread  (Read 161581 times)

Offline Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
Re: Yes please! New phones thread
« Reply #2675 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 10:41:41 AM »
i mean i can afford it at the moment but the principle of paying £1000 for a f***ing phone puts me right off, can get a premium android for half the price
i mean i can afford it at the moment but the principle of paying £1000 for a f***ing phone puts me right off, can get a premium android for half the price

Aye the price precludes them for me, crazy money for a phone.
Bearings Straight!

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #2676 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 10:47:03 AM »
AYe, I'll probably be getting an older iPhone tbh, although am I right in thinking the generation I'd look at (8ish) had a few problems? It's been a while, battery life s****?
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #2677 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 10:48:20 AM »
Couldn't ever even think about getting the newest iPhone :lol: Crazy money. I hate how much time I spend on my phone anyway. If I could get a Nokia 3310 with maps and a mint camera I'd take it.
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #2678 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 10:54:22 AM »
My iPhone SE never freezes or crashes, comparing this to my girlfriends Pixel 2, who's mic doesn't work on calls and who's Spotify crashes all the time, I'm probably a proponent of the stability of iOS. It's certainly more restricted, but I literally only go on apps and use the camera on my phone anyway. I'm hardly a web developer.

You do know most phones in the UK have a 2 year warranty on them?

https://support.google.com/store/troubleshooter/3070579#ts=7168940%2C7544604

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #2679 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 11:55:08 AM »
My iPhone SE never freezes or crashes, comparing this to my girlfriends Pixel 2, who's mic doesn't work on calls and who's Spotify crashes all the time, I'm probably a proponent of the stability of iOS. It's certainly more restricted, but I literally only go on apps and use the camera on my phone anyway. I'm hardly a web developer.

You do know most phones in the UK have a 2 year warranty on them?

https://support.google.com/store/troubleshooter/3070579#ts=7168940%2C7544604

My partner has the SE and it's s**** and crashes all the time. That's just bad luck.

Offline Shay's Given Tim Flowers

• General Member
  • Stephen f***ing Hawkinson
« Reply #2680 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 01:59:16 PM »
AYe, I'll probably be getting an older iPhone tbh, although am I right in thinking the generation I'd look at (8ish) had a few problems? It's been a while, battery life s****?

I've got an 8. The battery is s**** and is apparently at 86% efficiency from purchase. Doesn't get me through the day.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #2681 on: Monday 20 May 2019, 07:13:31 PM »
The absolute cheek of america to complain of Huawei spying for the Chinese when the NSA are spying on the whole internet and act like some moral compass for it.

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #2682 on: Wednesday 22 May 2019, 01:56:34 PM »
:lol: I think they got pelters for the NSA stuff like.

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #2683 on: Friday 31 May 2019, 09:40:52 AM »
VOXI now doing (up until July) 8GB for £10. Open to current users as well.

Offline Papavasiliou

• General Member
« Reply #2684 on: Friday 31 May 2019, 10:29:16 AM »
Got myself a new Samsung A70 the other week and I'm bloody loving it. Samsung were giving £100 trade in on any working (and not damaged to f***) android phone which took the price down to £270.

It's screen is bigger than an S10+ or a Note 9 (still managing a comparable screen to body ratio)
Dual SIM and an SD slot  without any of that doubling up they usually do.
Under Screen Fingerprint reader (Works a bit slower than the competition but the facial recognition seems much more useful anyway)
Obviously the internals aren't as good as the flagships but it's handled everything I've thrown at it without issue.

The best bit though is the battery. 4,500mAh and fast charging up to 25W (iPhone X for comparison has 2700mAh) makes it easily a 2 dayer. I've gone from an S7 that would be almost dead by lunchtime if I was browsing reddit all day at work to the A70 that I've barely ever seen go below 50% even playing games most of the day.

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?&idPhone2=9646&idPhone1=9535&idPhone3=9163

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #2685 on: Friday 31 May 2019, 12:51:14 PM »
I'm thinking of either getting a Pixel 3 or Pixel 3A, I heard the Pixel 3 had a load of problems when it came out, could it be that the 3A will be the better and cheaper choice? Or is that just wishful thinking?

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #2686 on: Sunday 9 June 2019, 08:25:15 PM »
Contract up in a month. EE have been s**** for signal around the house so only thing i'm certain of i won't be sticking with them.

02 were good, but thinking of trying Vodafone on sim only for a year:

20GB UK Data
Unlimited UK Minutes
Unlimited UK Texts
12 Month Contract

Spotify (my choice out of the red entertainment)

£25pm - £10pm cashback = £15pm

So not bad considering Spotify is something i use when i can get it on a deal.

Does anyone know how it works the redeem? I have an account, about halfway through a 3m for a tenner, they send me a code and it adds on or something?

Online Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #2687 on: Wednesday 12 June 2019, 05:49:28 PM »
I dropped my 3T cracking the screen, luckily oneplus have a great repair policy so got it fixed for £35 (UPS collected and returned it). I borrowed a S8 off a friend to use for those few days and haven't used the oneplus since, I even took it to Asia with me and got some ridiculous photos. He wants the phone back now, so I'm sticking with Samsung found an Amazon Renewed S9 for £320. Looked at sticking with OnePlus but their huge size phones and no SD card pushed my back to Samsung.

Offline TheHoob

• General Member
« Reply #2688 on: Thursday 13 June 2019, 09:18:02 PM »
Contract up in a month. EE have been s**** for signal around the house so only thing i'm certain of i won't be sticking with them.

20GB UK Data
Unlimited UK Minutes
Unlimited UK Texts
12 Month Contract

Does anyone know how it works the redeem? I have an account, about halfway through a 3m for a tenner, they send me a code and it adds on or something?

Very late to the party but I got the Spotify deal through Vodafone a while back, had an existing Spotify and I think they sent a link to use with the extra time, but I had to cancel my existing sub. Cant remember if it began right away or if they waited until my existing time ran out though. Either way was a piece of p*ss. The Vodafone rewards app is well worth it as well if you go with them.

Offline Dokko

• TT
  • General Member
« Reply #2689 on: Thursday 13 June 2019, 10:02:42 PM »

20GB UK Data
Unlimited UK Minutes
Unlimited UK Texts
12 Month Contract

Very late to the party but I got the Spotify deal through Vodafone a while back, had an existing Spotify and I think they sent a link to use with the extra time, but I had to cancel my existing sub. Cant remember if it began right away or if they waited until my existing time ran out though. Either way was a piece of p*ss. The Vodafone rewards app is well worth it as well if you go with them.

I went for it, changed across today, much better signal at home so mighty relieved. Tried to get Spotify, like you had to cancel but got a 3 months thing which doesn’t expire until August so can’t claim it for another 2 months. You any idea if I’ve got a time limit to claim?

If so will have to either create a new account or go with something else.

Offline TheHoob

• General Member
« Reply #2690 on: Thursday 13 June 2019, 10:20:48 PM »
Nice one. I'd be very surprised if there is a time limit like,  but don't take my word for it  :lol:

Online Menace

• General Member
  • If only.
« Reply #2691 on: Thursday 13 June 2019, 10:44:18 PM »
I dropped my 3T cracking the screen, luckily oneplus have a great repair policy so got it fixed for £35 (UPS collected and returned it). I borrowed a S8 off a friend to use for those few days and haven't used the oneplus since, I even took it to Asia with me and got some ridiculous photos. He wants the phone back now, so I'm sticking with Samsung found an Amazon Renewed S9 for £320. Looked at sticking with OnePlus but their huge size phones and no SD card pushed my back to Samsung.

Went through the same experience. 3T felt s**** compared to S9. S9 is the perfect phone, literally. I'm holding onto it for at least 3-4 years.
Quote from: Sunderland Fan
We are always second best to them, always.

« Reply #2692 on: Thursday 13 June 2019, 11:00:54 PM »
The S9 is such a small upgrade on the S8. You can get a very similar phone in the S8 for much less. I have an S9 and wish Id sold it when I got it and kept my S8. Would be 900 quid in my bank. S10 is where its at.
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #2693 on: Friday 14 June 2019, 07:01:11 AM »
XX is the perfect phone, literally. I'm holding onto it for at least 3-4 years.

feel this way about every phone i get more or less, a year down the line i'm always looking to upgrade :lol:
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Online Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #2694 on: Friday 14 June 2019, 12:08:35 PM »
The S9 is such a small upgrade on the S8. You can get a very similar phone in the S8 for much less. I have an S9 and wish Id sold it when I got it and kept my S8. Would be 900 quid in my bank. S10 is where its at.

It is but when I dont own the S8 so can't sell it, and the price difference between S8 age phones and S9 phones is minimal S9 is the best choice. S10 is double the price of what I paid for this phone, its a great bit of kit but I don't need the features and I don't want a bigger phone.

Ironicly OnePlus have just updated my 3T to Android Pie so thats helped it out, but the camera on the phone is still shocking compared to the samsungs. I just wish Oneplus would make a reasonable sized phone with SD card and proper waterproofing, as their OS on the phone is far better than samsungs.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #2695 on: Friday 14 June 2019, 12:29:42 PM »
6T is absolute class and i'm never gonna need +129GB but you're right on the size, which is great when you're sitting using it but in pockets etc. a pain :/
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
« Reply #2696 on: Thursday 27 June 2019, 12:39:25 PM »
Got one of these on the way, Mi 9T

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #2697 on: Thursday 27 June 2019, 12:46:34 PM »
Got one of these on the way, Mi 9T

Specs look great. How much?

Got an unbroken Mi A1 atm, but that may be my next phone when I need one.

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
« Reply #2698 on: Thursday 27 June 2019, 01:08:55 PM »
Yeah, I'm on the A1 at the moment but it's developed an annoying quirk is being very fussy about what charger, cable and outlet it will fast charge on. Possibly my dubious electrics in this house knacked it so who knows I might fry this one too.

Got it from Aliexpress for about 260, was 300 with one of those random "Apply voucher" things of 40 quid off.  Can't see that voucher now but might just be cos I've used it, so could be there for you

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33024245116.html

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #2699 on: Thursday 27 June 2019, 01:20:41 PM »
:thup: