Author Topic: Yes please! New phones thread  (Read 179190 times)

Online neesy111

• General Member
Re: Yes please! New phones thread
« Reply #2825 on: Wednesday 7 October 2020, 05:28:04 PM »
Don't suppose anyone on here has a Pixel 2 / 2 XL and can tell me whether it supports WiFi Calling?  I'm on Tesco Mobile who don't provide it, but looking at moving to o2 who do.  Can't seem to get a conclusive answer online as to whether its carrier or phone based; don't want to take out a new deal and then end up in the same position [emoji38] .

Usually it needs to be a phone from the carrier itself e.g.  O2 to have it supported.

Yeah I wondered if sim free could cause a problem.  O2 list the Pixel 3 and 3XL as supported on their website, but I've seen comments on reddit (for example) that say it works on a sim free Pixel 2 XL too (which is what I have).

May just switch to O2 anyway as I know they support wifi calling, and then worst case scenario I'll have to get a new phone.  Didn't realise it wasn't a service available on all carriers and handsets, seems like a necessity if you live in a signal black spot etc.

Actually I think Pixel's will be fine because they are sold without a specific android version to the carrier.

I get it on my Huawei on EE but the android version is a EE version.

Offline Chrisjraby

• General Member
« Reply #2826 on: Wednesday 7 October 2020, 07:00:15 PM »
Don't suppose anyone on here has a Pixel 2 / 2 XL and can tell me whether it supports WiFi Calling?  I'm on Tesco Mobile who don't provide it, but looking at moving to o2 who do.  Can't seem to get a conclusive answer online as to whether its carrier or phone based; don't want to take out a new deal and then end up in the same position [emoji38] .

Usually it needs to be a phone from the carrier itself e.g.  O2 to have it supported.

Yeah I wondered if sim free could cause a problem.  O2 list the Pixel 3 and 3XL as supported on their website, but I've seen comments on reddit (for example) that say it works on a sim free Pixel 2 XL too (which is what I have).

May just switch to O2 anyway as I know they support wifi calling, and then worst case scenario I'll have to get a new phone.  Didn't realise it wasn't a service available on all carriers and handsets, seems like a necessity if you live in a signal black spot etc.

Actually I think Pixel's will be fine because they are sold without a specific android version to the carrier.

:lol: enjoyed the small text caveat there.  Fingers crossed it'll work.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #2827 on: Wednesday 7 October 2020, 07:12:34 PM »

:lol: enjoyed the small text caveat there.  Fingers crossed it'll work.

That wasn't deliberate, strange. :lol: :lol:

Offline Lenny

• General Member
« Reply #2828 on: Wednesday 7 October 2020, 11:13:05 PM »
I have a Pixel 2 XL, with EE, and it has WiFi calling. Haven't had it enabled for a while but I recall not having particularly great experiences with it, mind.

Couldn't be sure whether it was the WiFi or the phone but it seemed to have lag and occasionally people just couldn't hear me.

Offline Chrisjraby

• General Member
« Reply #2829 on: Wednesday 7 October 2020, 11:17:11 PM »
I have a Pixel 2 XL, with EE, and it has WiFi calling. Haven't had it enabled for a while but I recall not having particularly great experiences with it, mind.

Couldn't be sure whether it was the WiFi or the phone but it seemed to have lag and occasionally people just couldn't hear me.

:thup:.  At the moment I have "emergency calls only" for the vast majority of the time, so anything more reliable than that would be a plus :lol:.

Offline Lenny

• General Member
« Reply #2830 on: Thursday 8 October 2020, 01:32:06 PM »
:thup:

I've actually ordered myself a Pixel 5. The Pixel 2 XL had a good run and still performs pretty well still, but thought I'd finally upgrade since the Pixel 5 seems decent value.

Offline BottledDog

• General Member
  • Lew'sham
« Reply #2831 on: Thursday 8 October 2020, 01:50:08 PM »

:thup:.  At the moment I have "emergency calls only" for the vast majority of the time, so anything more reliable than that would be a plus :lol:.

Apropos of nothing. Been with Giffgaff for years but signal fell off a cliff in my gaf a few months ago, so applied for a load of free sims from all the different providers to see what now worked indoors. f*** me, the signal now with 3 is ace, a goddamn revelation (still have Giffgaff in a second sim slot just in case they have a half decent signal up a mountain or something).

TL/DR Have a play with other networks/SIMS occasionally if your signal gets a bit s***.
"Newcastle is a strange club and I don't know what else you can say about them" - Ferguson.

Offline Chrisjraby

• General Member
« Reply #2832 on: Thursday 8 October 2020, 07:58:11 PM »

Apropos of nothing. Been with Giffgaff for years but signal fell off a cliff in my gaf a few months ago, so applied for a load of free sims from all the different providers to see what now worked indoors. f*** me, the signal now with 3 is ace, a goddamn revelation (still have Giffgaff in a second sim slot just in case they have a half decent signal up a mountain or something).

TL/DR Have a play with other networks/SIMS occasionally if your signal gets a bit s***.

:thup: I had a very brief look to see if I could order a free O2 sim, but wasn't sure if it required a minimum top up to work.  Upon further reading it seems like I could, so just ordered O2 and 3 sims to test out.

A couple of friends who live in my vicinity have 3 too (for this exact same reason), but I had them about 10 years ago and they were garbage (appreciate that things have come on a lot in that time though haha).  Past experiences probably clouding my judgement, but I guess I shouldn't be hasty!

Offline Chrisjraby

• General Member
« Reply #2833 on: Sunday 11 October 2020, 11:10:20 AM »

@Lenny whereabouts does your option for wifi calling show up?  I've seen three different suggestions online, but none have been fruitful.

I've just put O2 and 3 sims in my Pixel 2 (both of whom I know 100% support wifi calling) and I still don't seem to have the option.

Did some googling and I've seen people mentioning that the option disappeared for them on Android 10 and 11, including on Pixel 3.  Why is this such a ball ache :lol:.

Offline Joey

• General Member
« Reply #2834 on: Tuesday 13 October 2020, 11:39:15 AM »
Opted for a OnePlus 8 Pro, £649 which isn't so bad.
Cracking specs for the price (compared to others) and i'm out of the contract to contract purchasing now which is even better.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #2835 on: Tuesday 13 October 2020, 11:42:21 AM »
Cracking specs for the price (compared to others) and i'm out of the contract to contract purchasing now which is even better.

There's a new OnePlus coming out if you didn't know.

Offline Joey

• General Member
« Reply #2836 on: Tuesday 13 October 2020, 11:46:07 AM »

There's a new OnePlus coming out if you didn't know.

Yeah, it's more a cut down version though, wasn't that much of an upgrade from the S9+ which i'm coming from so just went for the Pro.

Offline Lenny

• General Member
« Reply #2837 on: Wednesday 14 October 2020, 08:41:01 AM »

@Lenny whereabouts does your option for wifi calling show up?  I've seen three different suggestions online, but none have been fruitful.

I've just put O2 and 3 sims in my Pixel 2 (both of whom I know 100% support wifi calling) and I still don't seem to have the option.

Did some googling and I've seen people mentioning that the option disappeared for them on Android 10 and 11, including on Pixel 3.  Why is this such a ball ache :lol:.

I can get to it by just searching "wifi" in settings search and it'll show up, or go to:

Network and Internet > Mobile Network > Advanced

Offline Chrisjraby

• General Member
« Reply #2838 on: Wednesday 14 October 2020, 02:11:12 PM »

I can get to it by just searching "wifi" in settings search and it'll show up, or go to:

Yeah that's what I'd done, but it doesn't show for me, must be a carrier thing.  I've taken out a new deal with Three now, and ordered a Pixel 5 (having just found out the Pixel 2 is going to stop being supported this year), so hopefully that'll solve my issues!

Offline Joey

• General Member
« Reply #2839 on: Wednesday 14 October 2020, 02:34:04 PM »
I used to have it on my S9+ whilst with EE, then switched to Smarty with the S9+ and the option had disappeared, the house is old and signal is terrible so I often had it turned on.
Got my new phone, still on Smarty and it's back.

Not sure if providers are limiting it based on the device unless it was something else quite weird. The Android versions are the same so it won't be that.

Offline ToonTastic

• Administrator
  • General Member
« Reply #2840 on: Wednesday 14 October 2020, 02:49:49 PM »

Yeah that's what I'd done, but it doesn't show for me, must be a carrier thing.  I've taken out a new deal with Three now, and ordered a Pixel 5 (having just found out the Pixel 2 is going to stop being supported this year), so hopefully that'll solve my issues!

I'm with three and didn't have to turn anything on it just worked on my Huawei P20 Pro so it might just work for you

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #2841 on: Wednesday 14 October 2020, 02:52:34 PM »
I used to have it on my S9+ whilst with EE, then switched to Smarty with the S9+ and the option had disappeared, the house is old and signal is terrible so I often had it turned on.
Got my new phone, still on Smarty and it's back.

Not sure if providers are limiting it based on the device unless it was something else quite weird. The Android versions are the same so it won't be that.

It's linked to the carrier and their Android version I believe with certain models.  My phone is EE but it's unlocked and only get VOLTE option when EE sim card is in.

Offline Chrisjraby

• General Member
« Reply #2842 on: Wednesday 14 October 2020, 08:01:13 PM »

I'm with three and didn't have to turn anything on it just worked on my Huawei P20 Pro so it might just work for you

Put the Three sim in my phone and had no luck; ended up on the online chat with one of their script readers, and they're sending me a new sim with the "correct profiles" on it.  No idea what that means, but seemingly I never get any luck with these things :lol:.  Most annoying bit was that they wanted me to reset every so now I've lost all my stored wifi passwords and bluetooth pairings.  I didn't think it would make a difference, but they were insistent I did it.

Genuinely thought it would be much easier than this haha.

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #2843 on: Wednesday 14 October 2020, 08:23:55 PM »
Think I'll get the OnePlus 8T.