Author Topic: Yes please! New phones thread  (Read 160484 times)

Offline ToonTastic

• Administrator
  • General Member
Re: Yes please! New phones thread
« Reply #2625 on: Friday 12 April 2019, 09:15:32 AM »
Ok the reason I needed a cheap phone back in March was because November 2017 I was given a replacement Nexus 6P for my first Nexus 6P that I bought back in October 2015. Anyway after seeing the news today I contacted Google. They said my replacement phone was still under warranty as as they have no Nexus 6P phones now, they'll refund me the full amount. So I'm getting £449 for a phone i basically purchased in 2015. That's a damn good deal I'd say.
So any suggestions for a replacement around that amount ?

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #2626 on: Friday 12 April 2019, 09:22:54 AM »
What news do you mean?
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline ToonTastic

• Administrator
  • General Member
« Reply #2627 on: Friday 12 April 2019, 09:39:17 AM »
What news do you mean?

They've been forced to pay out to people who bought one in the US and didn't get a replacement phone by the class lawsuit against them.

Offline Wullie

• Administrator
« Reply #2628 on: Friday 12 April 2019, 09:47:44 AM »
Ah :thup: LG had something similar a few years ago, I got all my money back on the G4 I think it was.
Jeff's Garage - Cheaper than some other garages.

Offline Decky

• General Member
  • ashleyout.com
« Reply #2629 on: Wednesday 17 April 2019, 05:42:37 PM »

I dont get this at all. Looks like s**** to me.
Steve Bruce, liar, s*** manager and general prick.

Offline BlueStar

• General Member

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #2631 on: Thursday 18 April 2019, 08:59:48 AM »
They'll be good eventually, just the price of being first. These days I'm a late adopter, let someone else use it through the problem period.

Offline BlueStar

• General Member
« Reply #2632 on: Thursday 18 April 2019, 09:05:32 AM »
The reviewers peeling off part of the screen thinking it was a screen protector is great :lol:

Offline tgarve

• General Member
« Reply #2633 on: Thursday 18 April 2019, 03:13:02 PM »
Gimmick, probably weighs a tonne, might be better in later iterations
Follow me on twitter @tgarve

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #2634 on: Thursday 18 April 2019, 03:53:50 PM »
It's not really a gimmick, more an early version of something that will eventually be the norm.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #2635 on: Thursday 18 April 2019, 03:58:10 PM »
The Huawei model is better.

Open_C

« Reply #2636 on: Wednesday 1 May 2019, 08:57:39 AM »
I spend too much time researching cameras and I can't get into doing it with phones too so I'll just ask here

Coming up to new phone time.  I've been using a Huawei P10 and I like how responsive it still is after nearly two years but I'm fed up of increasingly thin, increasingly big phones (which are increasingly slippery and easy to drop) and tbh I want to go back to a smaller and thicker form factor.

I had a quick look and the only one that was obviously the sort of thing I was looking for was the now-getting-on-a-bit iPhone SE, but I didn't look that hard :lol:

I'm not particularly invested in either iOS or Android, have had both in the past and I prefer Android but I'm more interested in the size and shape of the phone tbh so happy to switch back.  Any recommendations for an under five inch screen and a body with a bit of depth to it?  Don't need anything cutting edge, it's for GPS, Instagram and browsing and that's it.

Offline Fugazi

• General Member
  • NE28
« Reply #2637 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 06:40:18 PM »
Went for the P30 Pro for my upgrade, contract ran out months ago but didn't want to just dive in on any phone. Camera looks amazing, which is the main draw for me. Get a free Huawei T5 tablet thrown in as well, which is nice.
Consider winning

Offline The Little Waster

• General Member
« Reply #2638 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 07:58:04 PM »
Went for the P30 Pro for my upgrade, contract ran out months ago but didn't want to just dive in on any phone. Camera looks amazing, which is the main draw for me. Get a free Huawei T5 tablet thrown in as well, which is nice.

Soon as i can im after the same . What £ are we talking ?
" We are on the brink of a new era , if only ... "

Offline Fugazi

• General Member
  • NE28
« Reply #2639 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 08:01:28 PM »
Pay monthly contract, £52 a month with O2. Could have got cheaper if i'd shopped around but couldn't be arsed switching from O2. Can sell my old Galaxy S7 for £100 so will put that towards new phone.
Consider winning

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #2640 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 08:51:30 PM »

I've got the Mate 20 Pro and it's a great phone so should be fine.

Offline Fugazi

• General Member
  • NE28
« Reply #2641 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 09:20:59 PM »

I've got the Mate 20 Pro and it's a great phone so should be fine.

:thup:
Consider winning

Offline Odear

• Photoshop Pro
  • General Member
  • Resident Sociopath
« Reply #2642 on: Thursday 9 May 2019, 11:24:20 PM »
Google’s new Pixel 3a is supposed to be the business for the price (about 400)

A new type of iPhone SE would do the trick for me. Maybe just slightly larger and all the new camera tech included. It’ll never happen though.

The iPhone 5s chassis has to be one of the best designs for phones of all time. It looks way more premium than anything after it.

And the supposed design of the 11 is awful looking..

Minge Tingles

Offline stlouismag

• General Member
  • Invalid Tweet ID
« Reply #2643 on: Friday 10 May 2019, 08:46:19 PM »
And the supposed design of the 11 is awful looking..

Online Sima

• General Member
« Reply #2644 on: Tuesday 14 May 2019, 07:37:21 AM »
Such an obsession with cameras on phones in the last 18 months.

Guess it’s the easiest way to give a visible gain in standard.  ‘Ooh look, three lenses instead of two’.  Bore off.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #2645 on: Tuesday 14 May 2019, 08:48:41 AM »
Looks like it's game over for HTC for smartphones.

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #2646 on: Tuesday 14 May 2019, 03:34:00 PM »
On a scale of 'Easy to So infuriating You'll End Up Staying', just how straight forward is it cancelling and porting your number with EE?

I've had p*ss poor upgrade options for years and I burn through the data I have (6GB for £12. But that was a retention offer after I attempted to leave last year), so I'm planning on moving over to VOXI for the free unlimited social media data.

I'm guessing I just ring up and request my PAC code and that should be it, right?

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #2647 on: Tuesday 14 May 2019, 03:50:55 PM »
On a scale of 'Easy to So infuriating You'll End Up Staying', just how straight forward is it cancelling and porting your number with EE?

I've had p*ss poor upgrade options for years and I burn through the data I have (6GB for £12. But that was a retention offer after I attempted to leave last year), so I'm planning on moving over to VOXI for the free unlimited social media data.

I'm guessing I just ring up and request my PAC code and that should be it, right?

Yes and then you have to use the code within 30 days.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #2648 on: Tuesday 14 May 2019, 04:00:13 PM »
I'm moving to Voxi as well, hope it's decent. Should need a very cheap allowance with social media being free.

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #2649 on: Tuesday 14 May 2019, 04:08:09 PM »
I'm moving to Voxi as well, hope it's decent. Should need a very cheap allowance with social media being free.

Options are 6GB for £10, 15GB for £15 or 45GB for £20.

In comparison, my cheapest upgrade option with EE (sim only) is 3GB for £19 :lol: