Author Topic: Yes please! New phones thread  (Read 158396 times)

Offline Elric

• General Member
Re: Yes please! New phones thread
« Reply #2600 on: Wednesday 9 January 2019, 10:29:19 am »
Got a Redmi Note 5 during the Black Friday sales. Took a little while adjusting to some of the MIUI fuckery, once I got past that I'm really happy with it (cost £170). Like others have probably said I don't think I'll really see a need to go back to paying more than £200 for a handset outright. YMMV, obvs :)
Soon this will feel like a distant dream. Until then, may you rest in a deep and dreamless slumber

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #2601 on: Friday 11 January 2019, 02:55:36 pm »
went for a oneplus 6t

Let me know how it is, I'm tempted to upgrade from my 3T at some point though not convinced about the finger print scanner under the screen.

:thup:

first impressions of this are very positive indeed, lush screen and UI...early on the battery but it looks solid

massive fan of the fact it comes with a case and a pre-installed screen protector, sadly i'd already bought both but will keep for spares

fingerprint scanner seems fine, but tbf the face unlock renders it pointless most of the time

very impressive so far though i need to find something to replicate the edge thing from the s8 as i got very partial to that
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline loki679

• General Member
« Reply #2602 on: Saturday 12 January 2019, 04:32:32 am »
Got a Redmi Note 5 during the Black Friday sales. Took a little while adjusting to some of the MIUI fuckery, once I got past that I'm really happy with it (cost £170). Like others have probably said I don't think I'll really see a need to go back to paying more than £200 for a handset outright. YMMV, obvs :)

:thup:  Their cloud services aren't quite up to icloud standard yet but they're serviceable and improving.  Great phones for the price.
Comfy chairs, beer, and doom. Humanity's future is an early 90s LAN party.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #2603 on: Saturday 12 January 2019, 12:55:51 pm »
I have a Huawei P20 Pro. Lately apps are just closing down by themselves and it's really annoying. For example Chrome closed as I was writing this post. It seems to be after the latest update. Anyone else having that problem?

I have a darts game I loved and I can't play it anymore as it closes the app after a minute or two. :(

Offline Ginola

• General Member
  • David... Arbeit!
« Reply #2604 on: Saturday 12 January 2019, 07:28:44 pm »
Not had any issues on mine, like

Online neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #2605 on: Saturday 12 January 2019, 07:37:01 pm »
No issues with mate 20 pro.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #2606 on: Saturday 26 January 2019, 11:24:05 am »
loving this oneplus 6T...dat battery life :sweetjesus:

Sleep now in the fire

Online KaKa

• Herping the Derp 24/7
  • General Member
  • This is not a "dog chasing a balloon".
« Reply #2607 on: Saturday 26 January 2019, 11:34:04 am »
I really want a new phone that is stock android, as I really do keep things quite simple with my phone. Any ideas please?

The oneplus 6T is not quite stock android right? Think I read it was similar?
I'll be watching the games, and I'll be talking about the teams. If it's a disaster it will be quite humorous and exactly what Mike Ashley deserves and to be honest I'll quite enjoy it. I am totally indifferent to results and the team success going forward.

Now, in certain games should the team do well, I will be happy more for the players, because I feel bad for them mostly, and I still want to see some of them do well. I will still feel comfortable giving the team credit when they do well. I just don't care about any outcome at this point and none of my money goes into anything to do with Mike Ashley's operations.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #2608 on: Saturday 26 January 2019, 11:41:07 am »
i've not used stock in a long while but no this isn't stock, it's very stripped back vs. a samsung for example though...really nice

Sleep now in the fire

Offline TheHoob

• General Member
« Reply #2609 on: Saturday 26 January 2019, 11:41:21 am »
I've had a Pixel 3 for a while now and I love it, obviously being Google it comes with stock android. I switched from apple so the simple OS has been great for me.

Online KaKa

• Herping the Derp 24/7
  • General Member
« Reply #2610 on: Saturday 26 January 2019, 12:03:26 pm »
i've not used stock in a long while but no this isn't stock, it's very stripped back vs. a samsung for example though...really nice

Okay, thanks man. I'm considering it as I heard it was indeed stripped back as you say, and therefore not far off stock.
I'll be watching the games, and I'll be talking about the teams. If it's a disaster it will be quite humorous and exactly what Mike Ashley deserves and to be honest I'll quite enjoy it. I am totally indifferent to results and the team success going forward.

Now, in certain games should the team do well, I will be happy more for the players, because I feel bad for them mostly, and I still want to see some of them do well. I will still feel comfortable giving the team credit when they do well. I just don't care about any outcome at this point and none of my money goes into anything to do with Mike Ashley's operations.

Online KaKa

• Herping the Derp 24/7
  • General Member
« Reply #2611 on: Saturday 26 January 2019, 12:05:44 pm »
I've had a Pixel 3 for a while now and I love it, obviously being Google it comes with stock android. I switched from apple so the simple OS has been great for me.

Yeah, I was going to get the Pixel 3, but I just feel it's a bit much for me as I am quite straightforward with my phone. Calls, texts and internet really. Therefore it just feels like I wouldn't really be getting the most out of it, and so it might be a bit forced for me to get that.

Really, really nice phone though.

Offline Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #2612 on: Saturday 26 January 2019, 05:23:03 pm »
OnePlus phones run oxygen OS. Which is stock android with some small tweaks, it's far less in your face compared to Samsung and their features.

Just wish OP would add an SD card slot for their next phone otherwise I might have to look elsewhere.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #2613 on: Saturday 26 January 2019, 05:46:01 pm »
OnePlus phones run oxygen OS. Which is stock android with some small tweaks, it's far less in your face compared to Samsung and their features.

Just wish OP would add an SD card slot for their next phone otherwise I might have to look elsewhere.

you can get 256GB built in like, what are you wanting? :lol:

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Adam^

• General Member
« Reply #2614 on: Saturday 26 January 2019, 07:38:50 pm »
Yea but the 256GB phones are stupidly overpiced and I have loads of SD cards already. Plus its far easier to move photos and videos to my pc by swapping out an SD card.

Offline Anderson

• General Member
« Reply #2615 on: Saturday 26 January 2019, 08:53:30 pm »

What's your battery life like? One disappointment for me. Kind of regretting not paying the little bit extra a month for a OnePlus too.
Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal: "From impending tragedy to near-triumph via the most improbable route possible - 95 minutes that neatly encapsulate 130 years of football on this particular piece of grass. Newcastle, United, will never be defeated."

Sir Bobby Robson - What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses or the marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #2616 on: Saturday 26 January 2019, 10:53:01 pm »

What's your battery life like? One disappointment for me. Kind of regretting not paying the little bit extra a month for a OnePlus too.

just got 48 hours out of the 6t without trying to reduce screen time or anything, loving it

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Anderson

• General Member
« Reply #2617 on: Saturday 26 January 2019, 10:59:08 pm »
:pilko:
Newcastle 4-4 Arsenal: "From impending tragedy to near-triumph via the most improbable route possible - 95 minutes that neatly encapsulate 130 years of football on this particular piece of grass. Newcastle, United, will never be defeated."

Sir Bobby Robson - What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It’s not the television contracts, get-out clauses or the marketing departments or executive boxes. It’s the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Offline TheHoob

• General Member
« Reply #2618 on: Saturday 26 January 2019, 11:50:40 pm »
 :lol:

Battery is nothing to write home about like aye , couldn't imagine getting 48h with normal usage. On 13% now but that's after a pretty heavy day, usually have 30/40. Can see it becoming a problem in the future mind.

How long you had it for? Heard of peoples battery usage getting better after a few weeks with the adaptive battery management or whatever it's called.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #2619 on: Sunday 27 January 2019, 06:59:55 am »
:pilko:

:lol: sorry that was a bit cuntish, was intended as an endorsement of the phone nothing else!

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Si

• General Member
  • I dont handle change well.
« Reply #2620 on: Monday 4 February 2019, 11:25:25 pm »
I ended up with a Huawei P20 lite. It's a nice but of kit and I'm really impressed. It's plenty of phone for what I need. It's possibly the most slippy thing ever though, it hates a level surface. Case on the way but it's gonna be touch and go :lol:
Bearings Straight!

Offline TheHoob

• General Member
« Reply #2621 on: Tuesday 5 February 2019, 11:57:19 pm »
Do Android phones handle Bluetooth different to iPhones? My Spotify sounds like garbage in my car since I've switched to a Pixel 3 and can't work out why. Downloads and streams all set to the highest quality, I've turned off the normalise volume setting too like some have suggested. Any ideas?

Offline ToonTastic

• Administrator
  • General Member
« Reply #2622 on: Wednesday 6 February 2019, 09:30:47 am »
Do Android phones handle Bluetooth different to iPhones? My Spotify sounds like garbage in my car since I've switched to a Pixel 3 and can't work out why. Downloads and streams all set to the highest quality, I've turned off the normalise volume setting too like some have suggested. Any ideas?

This is no help but no, should handle Bluetooth in exactly the same way. I use Spotify in my car without issue. Do you have another Bluetooth device you could test the sound with, headphones or something, make sure you know for certain where the fault is ?

Online Papavasiliou

• General Member
« Reply #2623 on: Wednesday 6 February 2019, 09:46:49 am »

This is no help but no, should handle Bluetooth in exactly the same way. I use Spotify in my car without issue. Do you have another Bluetooth device you could test the sound with, headphones or something, make sure you know for certain where the fault is ?

There's a bit in the developer options that dictates which Bluetooth audio codec is being used but after playing around with it I think Android seems pretty good at automatically picking out the best one that your car/headphones/whatever can deal with. "LDAC" was I think the best one with "aptX" being 2nd on the list. Can't remember what my car defaults to but my Sennhieser headphones always set it back to aptX.

Offline ToonTastic

• Administrator
  • General Member
« Reply #2624 on: Friday 29 March 2019, 11:30:43 am »
Could really do with a new cheap phone, has anyone any experience of the UMIDIGI Smartphone. Seems great spec and low price.