Author Topic: Hollibobs  (Read 362313 times)

Offline SEMTEX

• General Member
  • Only $50 pm
Re: Hollibobs
« Reply #7350 on: Tuesday 10 December 2019, 02:22:07 PM »
Unless you visited during Katrina, I don't know how New Orleans could be underwhelming.  There's nowhere else like it.
I imagine even during Katrina you would probably be overwhelmed tbh, probably more so.

:lol: Was dead proud of myself for not posting something like this.

Offline Ikon

• General Member
« Reply #7351 on: Friday 20 December 2019, 03:37:42 PM »
5 working weeks between now and the middle of April!  :frantic: Merry Christmas folks!

Offline TK-421

• General Member
  • Not at my Post
« Reply #7352 on: Friday 3 January 2020, 09:22:53 AM »
Busy looking at hollibobs for this summer, for me the wife and 16yr old son.

Last few holidays/trips have been 4-7 night city breaks to New York, and last 'beach holiday' was Lanzarote in 2017.

Given what we can save between now and late August (incl spends), we had just been thinking about another lazy beach fortnight somewhere in Europe (Greece, Canaries or Balearics).

However, British Airways currently have a sale on, on their Flight + Hotel packages, and another interesting option has come up.

For a similar price to our budget (or slightly cheaper depending on dates), we could have 7 nights in Miami Beach or Downtown Miami, based on room only board at decent hotels, with flights from NCL-LHR-MIA and the same return.

This appeals (to me at least), as it would tick the 'beach' box, but also potentially more to see in/around Miami. However, apart from reading that August would be slap bang in the middle of hurricane season, I know little else about Miami Beach/Downtown Miami, and what there is to see/do.

Has anyone got any advice or opinions on those areas, and is it worth it for a weeks trip? Is there enough to see, or would we really need a car to benefit?

Have mentioned before, but the wife would love to go to San Francisco, but think we'd need to save more and spend more than a week there to justify the distance, so that will be one for next year at earliest.

Cheers.
Claim to fame.... Han Solo stole my uniform.

Offline Matt

• General Member
« Reply #7353 on: Friday 3 January 2020, 10:23:46 AM »
As part of a multi-city US trip at the start of October, I'm contemplating doing a road trip on the stretch from Vegas to Texas, maybe taking in Austin as well. Anyone done that stretch? We'll eventually be staying with some friends in Dallas, which I've visited before and it was pretty uneventful, but if Austin is worth a detour we could do that also.

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #7354 on: Friday 3 January 2020, 05:21:11 PM »
As part of a multi-city US trip at the start of October, I'm contemplating doing a road trip on the stretch from Vegas to Texas, maybe taking in Austin as well. Anyone done that stretch? We'll eventually be staying with some friends in Dallas, which I've visited before and it was pretty uneventful, but if Austin is worth a detour we could do that also.

Austin is dope.

For a similar price to our budget (or slightly cheaper depending on dates), we could have 7 nights in Miami Beach or Downtown Miami, based on room only board at decent hotels, with flights from NCL-LHR-MIA and the same return.

This appeals (to me at least), as it would tick the 'beach' box, but also potentially more to see in/around Miami. However, apart from reading that August would be slap bang in the middle of hurricane season, I know little else about Miami Beach/Downtown Miami, and what there is to see/do.

Has anyone got any advice or opinions on those areas, and is it worth it for a weeks trip? Is there enough to see, or would we really need a car to benefit?

I'm not a fan of Miami at all, having grown up in South Florida. You would definitely need a car to get around and see the things worth seeing as well. If you did get a car, I'd recommend a quick day-trip down to Islamorada to see what the Keys are all about. If you could get even further down that day too, I'd go all the way to Key West. It's my favorite part of Florida. Miami has some decent sights but in general on South Beach it's hellllllla expensive.

August will be hot as hell too - probably the hottest month of the year - but might be what you're looking for.
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #7355 on: Sunday 5 January 2020, 11:54:24 AM »
anyone been to rome recently know a decent area to stay, good access to the centre etc.?
So raise your fists and march around
Dont dare take what you need
I'll jail and bury those committed
And smother the rest in greed
Crawl with me into tomorrow
Or i'll drag you to your grave
I'm deep inside your children
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Kevo

• General Member
« Reply #7356 on: Sunday 5 January 2020, 12:48:27 PM »
Turkey - Marmaris, Sarigerme, Olu Deniz or Fethiye?

Looking at 5 star all inclusive for September but never been to Turkey so clueless.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #7357 on: Sunday 5 January 2020, 12:59:34 PM »
anyone been to rome recently know a decent area to stay, good access to the centre etc.?

Rome is smaller than you’d think and pretty walkable fwiw.

Offline chopey

• General Member
« Reply #7358 on: Sunday 5 January 2020, 01:08:07 PM »
Turkey - Marmaris, Sarigerme, Olu Deniz or Fethiye?

Looking at 5 star all inclusive for September but never been to Turkey so clueless.

I went for the first time last year and loved it, going back to Olu Deniz this summer, the Blue Lagoon is fantastic as well as the boat trips the paragliding off the top of the mountain was a bit to much for me tho
Mike Ashley stole my 30's

Offline Varadi

• General Member
« Reply #7359 on: Sunday 5 January 2020, 02:00:58 PM »

Like Disco says, Rome is pretty walkable from anywhere central - I'm a fan of the Prati region, out towards the Vatican - it's quite an upmarket area but also tends to be a little cheaper as it's just a bit further out. Flaminio is decent for similar reasons.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #7360 on: Monday 6 January 2020, 06:02:50 AM »
cheers, i've been before a long time ago but looking for a cheap city break and some of the ones with direct flights only have hotels that are a good hike out of the centre so was looking for something with good access
They'll betray you in my name

Sleep now in the fire

Offline Papavasiliou

• General Member
« Reply #7361 on: Monday 6 January 2020, 11:55:28 AM »
Booked up for a couple of weeks in Japan as an Xmas present for the other half  :frantic:

Gonna do a week in Tokyo and a week seeing the rest of the country via bullet train so any recommendations for places to visit are most welcome.

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #7362 on: Monday 6 January 2020, 11:59:35 AM »
Booked up for a couple of weeks in Japan as an Xmas present for the other half  :frantic:

Gonna do a week in Tokyo and a week seeing the rest of the country via bullet train so any recommendations for places to visit are most welcome.

I'd look into Nara, Hiroshima and Osaka. Doable within a week with the bullet trains :lol:

Offline Papavasiliou

• General Member
« Reply #7363 on: Monday 6 January 2020, 12:08:40 PM »

I'd look into Nara, Hiroshima and Osaka. Doable within a week with the bullet trains :lol:

Hadn't even considered Nara but will definitely give it a look. Cheers!

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #7364 on: Monday 6 January 2020, 12:20:16 PM »
Need at least a week in Tokyo, so you're doing the right thing. I spent 2 weeks there and wasn't bored.

Went to Nara which was nice, Kyoto which is amazing culturally, then up to Kanazawa for the 'second best garden in Japan' which was lush but probably not worth going to Kanazawa, which as a place was quite boring.
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

Offline Hughesy

• General Member
« Reply #7365 on: Monday 6 January 2020, 12:21:42 PM »
Hiroshima and Osaka are absolute must sees.  I wasn't sure what to expect in Hiroshima, but it's a great place to go (worth going for a trip to Miyajima as well as when you're in Hiroshima).

Kyoto is also worth seeing - although I was possibly most underwhelmed by Kyoto out of all the destinations we went to.  Not sure why as, on the face of it, it's a fascinating place, but just found it harder to enjoy.

Offline Papavasiliou

• General Member
« Reply #7366 on: Monday 6 January 2020, 12:33:01 PM »
Hiroshima and Osaka are absolute must sees.  I wasn't sure what to expect in Hiroshima, but it's a great place to go (worth going for a trip to Miyajima as well as when you're in Hiroshima).

Kyoto is also worth seeing - although I was possibly most underwhelmed by Kyoto out of all the destinations we went to.  Not sure why as, on the face of it, it's a fascinating place, but just found it harder to enjoy.

Cheers

Might be worth half a day in Kyoto then onto Osaka for the evening and have a bit extra time there then if that's the case.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #7367 on: Monday 6 January 2020, 12:38:51 PM »
Bilbao for a weekend at the end of the month.

Offline Hughesy

• General Member
« Reply #7368 on: Monday 6 January 2020, 12:46:52 PM »

Cheers

Might be worth half a day in Kyoto then onto Osaka for the evening and have a bit extra time there then if that's the case.

I'd listen to others on Kyoto to be honest - definitely don't rule it out based on my views (it rained a lot when we were there which always makes things a bit harder to judge!).

Offline Papavasiliou

• General Member
« Reply #7369 on: Monday 6 January 2020, 12:53:14 PM »

Cheers

I'd listen to others on Kyoto to be honest - definitely don't rule it out based on my views (it rained a lot when we were there which always makes things a bit harder to judge!).

Fair play. I just thought it looks close enough to Osaka to try and combine the two a bit if I can find something more interesting in one or the other.

Offline Jimburst

• General Member
  • Yeah Buddy!
« Reply #7370 on: Monday 6 January 2020, 01:28:02 PM »
I'd be wary of doing half days anywhere tbh, what can you do in half a day?
A splatterhouse turd done in the manky toilets of a discotheque, brought on my the consumption of cowies or toot.

Offline Disco

• General Member
Re: Holidays
« Reply #7371 on: Monday 6 January 2020, 01:49:25 PM »
My tuppence...

Thinking of doing a 2 week trip to Japan at the end of September 2017 - anyone got any tips on how to structure it or absolute must-visit places?  I think I've got 2 specific questions, but any advice would be much appreciated.

1)  How much time do you need in Tokyo?  A lot of itineraries I've looked at for ideas seem to recommend 3-4 days during a two week trip.  Is this too much?

2)  Tempted to spend a few days in the Okinawa Islands for a bit of relaxation at the end, but slightly put off by a) the distance and b) wondering whether a few days on a Japanese beach is really worth it?

Posted this last year...

Heading to S Korea/Japan  in a week and a bit - does enyone have any unmissable, cool things to see and do in Seoul, Busan, Kyoto, Osaka, Nara and Tokyo? Anyone been before?

We went to those 3 places (and more) in Japan a month ago. How long you spending in each place in Japan?

Use Kyoto as a base for seeing the rest of Kansai if you've not already booked it, can get a Kansai railpass for not many £ too, probably not worth getting a full Japan one unless you plan on going one more further spread out place (Hiroshima, Kanazawa, Fukuoka etc).

Must do's in Kyoto for me would be sunset in Gion up by the temples, Inari gates, Arashiyama - go to the monkey park thing, it's worth it for the view back across the city alone. Katsukura is amazing if you like tonkatsu, there is one just off the main shopping street and in the station. If you get the train to Nara it's worth hopping off at Uji to see the temple thing there and get some green tea paraphernalia en route. There is a cool sake brewery tasting thing you can do in Nara, it's called Harushika. Good way to learn about & try the different types, some a lot nicer than others - it's only a £4-5 n all.

It's worth downloading the offline city guides on the TripAdvisor app to help you get about too unless you read Japanese - it's not obvious what a lot of stuff (food places especially) is on the outside.

Would recommend going to the baseball too, even if you don't like it. I went to see Giants at the Tokyo Dome, you can buy and print your tickets online.

Love Japan and really want to go to South Korea to compare the two. Enjoy!

Depending on how much you like cities I'd recommend 2-4 days in Tokyo. It's f***ing massive for a start so getting about to see what you'll want to takes quite a bit of time out of your day even if the transport works seamlessly. Main neighbourhoods to knock about are Asakusa/Ueno which is North East of what could loosely be described as the centre and Shinjuku/Shibuya/Harajuku which is west of centre.

For the rest of your trip if you're planning to go to a few places on Honshū I'd recommend flying in one airport (Tokyo/Kansai) and out of the other so you're not going back on yourself.

Also www.japan-guide.com is really, really good.

There's loads of decent travel programmes on Japan available too with the RWC just having been there and the Olympics upcoming.

Offline Papavasiliou

• General Member
Re: Holidays
« Reply #7372 on: Monday 6 January 2020, 03:22:22 PM »
I'd recommend flying in one airport (Tokyo/Kansai) and out of the other so you're not going back on yourself.

I actually did that just by being a cheap b******. Ended up on a slightly wonky set of flights just to avoid shitty times and extortionate prices.

On the way there: London - Bejing - Heneda
On the way back: Narita - Chendu - London

Offline TK-421

• General Member
  • Not at my Post
« Reply #7373 on: Monday 6 January 2020, 04:50:40 PM »
I'm not a fan of Miami at all, having grown up in South Florida. You would definitely need a car to get around and see the things worth seeing as well. If you did get a car, I'd recommend a quick day-trip down to Islamorada to see what the Keys are all about. If you could get even further down that day too, I'd go all the way to Key West. It's my favorite part of Florida. Miami has some decent sights but in general on South Beach it's hellllllla expensive.

August will be hot as hell too - probably the hottest month of the year - but might be what you're looking for.

Cheers for that. I think I was initially tempted by the price and prospect of visiting Miami, however with August being the peak of Hurricane Season and the possibility of weather disruption, we have decided against it.

We have ended up booking 2 weeks in Corfu, at the end of August instead, in a small resort called Roda, just along the coast from Sidari.

I've been to Rhodes and Zante in the past (over 20 year ago now), but neither me or the wife have been to Corfu.
Claim to fame.... Han Solo stole my uniform.

Offline mrmojorisin75

• General Member
« Reply #7374 on: Thursday 9 January 2020, 01:46:42 PM »
booked rome in april, went 10 years ago and loved it so hopefully will again