Author Topic: Hollibobs  (Read 348203 times)

Online Doctor Zaius

• General Member
Re: Hollibobs
« Reply #6725 on: Thursday 2 May 2019, 10:47:57 PM »
Spain is brilliant away from the tourist hot spots that cater for Northern Europeans. The North is underated too. Cantabria and in particular Asturias are absolutely class. Somewhat gutted to be leaving soon.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #6726 on: Thursday 2 May 2019, 10:50:49 PM »
If you go to Granada make sure you book tickets for Alhambra. Which need to be booked in advance. Its the main attraction like and not going would take something away from a visit like. Rhonda and Sevilla are both good.

Off to Cordoba in a few weeks too.

How far in advance?

Judging by this website its sold out until June like. I'm not gonna say its not worth going without it, but its by far the dominating centre piece.

https://compratickets.alhambra-patronato.es/reservarEntradas.aspx/?opc=2&gid=2&lg=en&ca=0

If you go to Granada make sure you book tickets for Alhambra. Which need to be booked in advance. Its the main attraction like and not going would take something away from a visit like. Rhonda and Sevilla are both good.

Also the best beer from the region, don't drink cruzcampo unless it's a must. 

Found Estrella galcia to be best Spanish beer.

Mahou for me like, on the whole Spanish Lager is class though. Love caining it. 

Aye, so f***ing cheap.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #6727 on: Friday 3 May 2019, 02:52:40 AM »

How far in advance?

If you go to Granada, eat here...https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187441-d1162039-Reviews-Restaurante_Arrayanes-Granada_Province_of_Granada_Andalucia.html

Also, in Porto (for something different) go here...https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g189180-d3963388-Reviews-Tia_Orlanda-Porto_Porto_District_Northern_Portugal.html

Offline Hughesy

• General Member
« Reply #6728 on: Friday 3 May 2019, 10:12:53 AM »
The Mezquita in Cordoba is one of the most stunning buildings you'll ever see.  Can get in for free for 1 hour or so if you go really early before the tour groups get in.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #6729 on: Friday 3 May 2019, 04:17:17 PM »

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #6730 on: Friday 3 May 2019, 04:25:53 PM »
Very good article on Airbnb and Barcelona.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019/04/29/the-airbnb-invasion-of-barcelona

Quite a lot of issues together here isn't there? Illegally renting residential properties, but also gentrification in general, tourism in general, probably a bit of nationalism and xenophobia as well.

When things get 'better' and people with money want to travel to a place, it's going to be changed significantly. That happens even within a country, areas are gentrified and traditional locals are forced out.

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #6731 on: Friday 3 May 2019, 05:45:25 PM »
Granada looks majestic, damn.

It’s ace. You’d love it there.

Offline Tomato Deuce

• Book Wanker
  • General Member
« Reply #6732 on: Friday 3 May 2019, 05:47:37 PM »

How far in advance?

If you go to Granada, eat here...https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187441-d1162039-Reviews-Restaurante_Arrayanes-Granada_Province_of_Granada_Andalucia.html

That the place right across from the mosque in the Albaicin?

Edit: appears not. But I definitely second getting Moroccan food in Granada.

Online Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #6733 on: Saturday 4 May 2019, 12:01:35 AM »
On the subject of Venice, saying it's a waste of money and that gondola rides are overpriced will only end up getting you locked out on the balcony because apparently gondola rides are romantic, Venice is beautiful and you're a c***.

Offline Yorkie

• General Member
  • C'mTA
« Reply #6734 on: Saturday 4 May 2019, 12:12:42 AM »
I was quite happy simply watching the gondoliers do their thing, whilst then later taking a water bus up the Grand Canal, therefore still getting to enjoy a boaty experience. Was never likely to spend £80 on an actual ride. You can see why gondoliers are some of the highest earners in the city; they're terrific, multi-talented professionals who clearly bring an absolute fortune to the city.

I really enjoyed the place. Loved how safe it felt and never felt any anxiety in getting lost or just taking any kind of path. The whole place is such a maze but a lot of fun. Wonderful being in busy town/area with absolutely no roads or cars. And there is beauty on every corner.

That said, I can see completely why it might not be others' cup of tea. It's basically like going to a theme park - where everything is an attraction or a novelty - rather than visiting another settlement.

In Florence atm. It's good but it's rainy and my legs are knacked. The constant battle against motorcars is tedious and we're feeling a bit culturally saturated. The Statue of David was cool; really detailed genitalia.

Offline Ikon

• General Member
« Reply #6735 on: Sunday 5 May 2019, 01:22:58 PM »
Swedish women are unreal that is all

:aww:

Offline NEEJ

• General Member
« Reply #6736 on: Tuesday 7 May 2019, 01:29:43 PM »
Does anyone have any recommendations for Poland? We're planning on doing a week or so ahead of a wedding in south-eastern Poland in the summer (Zamość), so ideally we'd start somewhere north and train it down.

Offline TBG

• King of GIF. WHAT?
  • General Member
« Reply #6737 on: Tuesday 7 May 2019, 01:53:21 PM »
Swedish women are unreal that is all

:aww:

Didn't see one woman that would describe themselves as "chunky but funky". Every one was a worldie.

Offline samptime29

• General Member
« Reply #6738 on: Tuesday 7 May 2019, 01:54:45 PM »
Does anyone have any recommendations for Poland? We're planning on doing a week or so ahead of a wedding in south-eastern Poland in the summer (Zamość), so ideally we'd start somewhere north and train it down.

I love Poland. Been Gdsank (North near beach), Krakow and Warsaw and had a class time everywhere.

Offline NEEJ

• General Member
« Reply #6739 on: Tuesday 7 May 2019, 02:20:57 PM »

I love Poland. Been Gdsank (North near beach), Krakow and Warsaw and had a class time everywhere.

:thup: We're thinking of starting from Gdansk and maybe going up to Hel before heading south.

Offline samptime29

• General Member
« Reply #6740 on: Tuesday 7 May 2019, 02:30:03 PM »

:thup: We're thinking of starting from Gdansk and maybe going up to Hel before heading south.

I've found Polish people to be very friendly. I've tried to learn a few phrases, which always goes down well, but English is widely spoken.
Cracking value is certain pubs/bars/restuarants. Often paying £1 a pint, and you can get a good meal for a reasonable price.
Would recommend a trip to Sopot (25 mins from Gdansk). We went for a day trip, really enjoyed it, lovely town right on coast.

In fact me and the Missus are off to Katowice in June for 3 days, then 3 days in Krakow. Originally she wanted a beach trip, but after a little bit of research, she's really excited now. Got a good deal on flights (which helps) and there are some cracking deals on hotels.
Wanna go Auschwitz this time, last time I went to Krakow was too hungover, and didn't want to be disrespectful by going like that.

Offline Disco

• General Member
« Reply #6741 on: Tuesday 7 May 2019, 02:44:47 PM »
Polish relative always raves about Zakopane in the southern mountains. Might be worth checking out.

Offline neesy111

• General Member
« Reply #6742 on: Tuesday 7 May 2019, 08:50:19 PM »

Would recommend a few days in Wroklaw but it's in the south west.

Offline Varadi

• General Member
« Reply #6743 on: Tuesday 7 May 2019, 08:59:49 PM »
Polish relative always raves about Zakopane in the southern mountains. Might be worth checking out.

Aye, Zakopane is fantastic - some unbelievable scenery and great hiking to be had.

Easy bus journey from Krakow too.

Offline Froggy

• Ok at Rocket League
  • General Member
« Reply #6744 on: Wednesday 8 May 2019, 07:20:41 AM »

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #6745 on: Wednesday 8 May 2019, 07:55:55 AM »
Mexico City recs?
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

« Reply #6746 on: Wednesday 8 May 2019, 11:47:04 AM »
And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make

Offline Slim

• General Member
« Reply #6747 on: Wednesday 8 May 2019, 02:43:04 PM »
Zadar on Sun would be s*** weather ffs!

Offline Ian W

• General Member
  • ex NUFC fan
« Reply #6748 on: Wednesday 8 May 2019, 03:55:09 PM »
Might go to Barcelona this weekend, weather looks good and Gatwick flight is quick.

Are there quiet/nice areas outside the city to just go to the beach?

Online Kaizero

• General Member
« Reply #6749 on: Wednesday 8 May 2019, 06:01:43 PM »
Got out of the Venetian doghouse by promising we could go to Tokyo sometime this summer instead. Anyone have any tips for Tokyo/surrounding areas? Is it a good idea to rent a car?