Author Topic: Hollibobs  (Read 369241 times)

Offline Ikon

• General Member
Re: Holidays
« Reply #4850 on: Sunday 2 October 2016, 03:46:39 PM »
Anyone been to Colombia?

Trying to convince my lass to go. Thinking of Bogota-San Andres-Cartagena-Cali or in the other order. Anywhere else worth going? Is it safe(ish) - assuming the normal don't be a dickhead rules apply but aside from that?

Aye mate, i was there for 5 weeks in total during my South America trip. From the end of mars to the 10th of april iirc. Went to all those places except Cali. My two friends did go there though and it wasn't amazing or anything but they still enjoyed it. I assume that at least one of your flights will be to/from Bogota? Don't know how much time you have in total? Let me know your time line and i will try to give you an idea of what's worth seeing. Bogota isn't very nice and is quite cold compared to the other places. There's a nice viewpoint of the city and you could do a tour and maybe go to Plaza Bolivar or something but personally i wouldn't spend more than a full day there. I didn't go there myself but a few hours outside of Bogota there's a cool place with red rocks and stuff, i don't remember the name of the place though.

And to Salento, Medellin, Cartagena, Isla del Rosario, San Andres, and a couple of other places up north close to Santa Marta as well. Yeah don't worry about that stuff, lovely people and i didn't feel uncomfortable for a second during my travels there. You can go the longer distances by air, and it's really cheap with Viva Colombia.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #4851 on: Sunday 2 October 2016, 03:53:59 PM »
:thup: Cheers mate. Flights would be in/out of Bogota or Cali with KLM aye and then using cheap internal flights like you say.

Offline Ikon

• General Member
« Reply #4852 on: Sunday 2 October 2016, 04:04:11 PM »
Minca and Tayrona are two other places we went to that was close to Santa Marta. I thought Colombia was amazing and i'm sure you will like it if you decide to go there :thup:
(some areas a little bit too touristic but i guess it's the same at most places on earth these days)

Btw! I've done 2 trips there, South and Central America and one thing i wish i would have done is sailing through the San Blas Islands from Colombia to Panama. I've been there and it's so beautiful. If you go and have a few days over to do this boat trip then you could fly to Cali and skip Bogota and travel your way up through Colombia and when done up north, take some kind of boat to Panama City and fly home from there. Panama City is better than Bogota, easily.
« Last Edit: Sunday 2 October 2016, 05:59:40 PM by Ikon »

Offline wormy

• General Member
« Reply #4853 on: Sunday 2 October 2016, 04:44:46 PM »
Coming back from Vietnam feeling ten days wasn't enough. Wish I could've managed excursions out of the Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh city centres but alas. Great experience.

War Remnants Museum in Ho Chi Minh.. f***.

Offline Ikon

• General Member
« Reply #4854 on: Sunday 2 October 2016, 06:03:12 PM »
Coming back from Vietnam feeling ten days wasn't enough. Wish I could've managed excursions out of the Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh city centres but alas. Great experience.

War Remnants Museum in Ho Chi Minh.. f***.

I've always wanted to go to Vietnam, seems a lovely place. I did a trip in SEA but i didn't have enough time to go there, or to the philippines. Considering doing one of these this winter maybe, but i'm leaning more towards South Africa.

Offline Elliottman

• General Member
« Reply #4855 on: Friday 7 October 2016, 07:59:39 PM »
Well, Geneva is b****** expensive isn't it  :lol:

Averaging 18quid a round here  :cheesy:
Could it have feasibly climbed high enough to leave the atmosphere? ???

Offline summerof69

• General Member
« Reply #4856 on: Friday 7 October 2016, 07:59:56 PM »
Off to Amsterdam, soon. Anyone know what the queues/prices are like for the rijiksmuseum, van gough, museum etc was interested in Anne Franck's house but the wait in line is like 2 hours long apparently so kind of hoping it won't be the same everywhere

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #4857 on: Saturday 8 October 2016, 10:30:12 AM »
Off to Amsterdam, soon. Anyone know what the queues/prices are like for the rijiksmuseum, van gough, museum etc was interested in Anne Franck's house but the wait in line is like 2 hours long apparently so kind of hoping it won't be the same everywhere

Book your slot at Anne Frank online and strut past the queue with a sense of knowing superiority.

Offline TRC

• WASRKOOK
  • General Member
« Reply #4858 on: Tuesday 11 October 2016, 07:29:47 PM »
Thinking of doing Chicago at Xmas, its a short trip from Toronto so I expect similar weather, just a change of scenery. I think there is a pretty big Toon following in Chicago so if anyone has any advice for over the Xmas period?

Offline Ronaldo

• General Member
  • Is that you, Mustard?
« Reply #4859 on: Sunday 16 October 2016, 09:34:11 PM »
I'm taking my girlfriend to Vegas tomorrow for her birthday. Staying at Caesars Palace for 5 nights. Anything that needs to be done/not done?

Online thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
  • big fan of sofas
« Reply #4860 on: Sunday 16 October 2016, 09:51:50 PM »
I've heard nothing but great things about both Le Reve and Showstoppers at the Wynn if you were thinking of taking in a show.

Also I'll be at the LINQ across the street from the 20th on if you'd like to grab a pint.

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #4861 on: Sunday 16 October 2016, 09:53:38 PM »
I'm taking my girlfriend to Vegas tomorrow for her birthday. Staying at Caesars Palace for 5 nights. Anything that needs to be done/not done?

Also I'll be at the LINQ across the street from the 20th on if you'd like to grab a pint.

No f***ing way.

I'm flying in Friday around 4. Beers that night?
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

Online thomas

• NO's Best Foreigner - Participant
  • General Member
  • big fan of sofas
« Reply #4862 on: Sunday 16 October 2016, 09:58:52 PM »
I'm 100% down for that.

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #4863 on: Sunday 16 October 2016, 10:07:57 PM »
I'm further up the strip, but I can definitely roll down and meet up with y'all.
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

Offline Ronaldo

• General Member
  • Is that you, Mustard?
« Reply #4864 on: Sunday 16 October 2016, 11:34:34 PM »
I still owe you some wings, Cuba. Yeah beers on Friday for sure. :thup:

Offline cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #4865 on: Sunday 16 October 2016, 11:43:12 PM »
Perfect, I'll hit you dudes up on Thursday to confirm.
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

Offline Lush Vlad

• General Member
  • Vlad The Impaler (Nath)
« Reply #4866 on: Monday 17 October 2016, 11:14:47 AM »
Assuming you haven't been before.  Then going to the grand canyon should be high up on the list.

Offline Ikon

• General Member
« Reply #4867 on: Monday 17 October 2016, 11:34:48 AM »
Couldn't decide between the Philippines and South Africa but i just booked a ticket to the Philippines in january  :frantic: South Africa was higher on my list but i felt that i don't have enough time to see and do all that i would have wanted to there.

As it looks now i will probably go something like Cebu-Bohol-Siargato-El Nido-Coron. Boracay doesn't attract me to be honest. Would have liked to go and see the rice terraces up north in Banaue but i guess that will have to be for another time. Let me know if you have any other places that you would recommend above these :) :thup:

Offline CFlan

• General Member
  • f*** Steve Mills.
« Reply #4868 on: Monday 17 October 2016, 03:31:21 PM »

When we went 5 years ago, we went to see O at the Bellagio. Highly recommended (although I don't have a clue if it's still on these days).

Also went to a really nice restaurant in the Wynn overlooking a waterfall. I believe it was a steakhouse. Also had a really nice Thai meal in the Wynn too.

The Bellagio fountains are obviously worth a few watches too, and there's a nice steakhouse tucked up on the edge of the Bellagio lake where you can watch the fountains from your table on the terrace - https://www.bellagio.com/en/restaurants/prime-steakhouse.html

Went to this back in April, tickets were pricey and not available at any of the discount vendors on the strip but it was worth every penny.

Offline Hughesy

• General Member
« Reply #4869 on: Wednesday 19 October 2016, 11:23:53 AM »
Thinking of doing a 2 week trip to Japan at the end of September 2017 - anyone got any tips on how to structure it or absolute must-visit places?  I think I've got 2 specific questions, but any advice would be much appreciated.

1)  How much time do you need in Tokyo?  A lot of itineraries I've looked at for ideas seem to recommend 3-4 days during a two week trip.  Is this too much?

2)  Tempted to spend a few days in the Okinawa Islands for a bit of relaxation at the end, but slightly put off by a) the distance and b) wondering whether a few days on a Japanese beach is really worth it?

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #4870 on: Wednesday 19 October 2016, 11:36:49 AM »
Thinking of doing a 2 week trip to Japan at the end of September 2017 - anyone got any tips on how to structure it or absolute must-visit places?  I think I've got 2 specific questions, but any advice would be much appreciated.

1)  How much time do you need in Tokyo?  A lot of itineraries I've looked at for ideas seem to recommend 3-4 days during a two week trip.  Is this too much?

2)  Tempted to spend a few days in the Okinawa Islands for a bit of relaxation at the end, but slightly put off by a) the distance and b) wondering whether a few days on a Japanese beach is really worth it?

Posted this last year...

Heading to S Korea/Japan  in a week and a bit - does enyone have any unmissable, cool things to see and do in Seoul, Busan, Kyoto, Osaka, Nara and Tokyo? Anyone been before?

We went to those 3 places (and more) in Japan a month ago. How long you spending in each place in Japan?

Use Kyoto as a base for seeing the rest of Kansai if you've not already booked it, can get a Kansai railpass for not many £ too, probably not worth getting a full Japan one unless you plan on going one more further spread out place (Hiroshima, Kanazawa, Fukuoka etc).

Must do's in Kyoto for me would be sunset in Gion up by the temples, Inari gates, Arashiyama - go to the monkey park thing, it's worth it for the view back across the city alone. Katsukura is amazing if you like tonkatsu, there is one just off the main shopping street and in the station. If you get the train to Nara it's worth hopping off at Uji to see the temple thing there and get some green tea paraphernalia en route. There is a cool sake brewery tasting thing you can do in Nara, it's called Harushika. Good way to learn about & try the different types, some a lot nicer than others - it's only a £4-5 n all.

It's worth downloading the offline city guides on the TripAdvisor app to help you get about too unless you read Japanese - it's not obvious what a lot of stuff (food places especially) is on the outside.

Would recommend going to the baseball too, even if you don't like it. I went to see Giants at the Tokyo Dome, you can buy and print your tickets online.

Love Japan and really want to go to South Korea to compare the two. Enjoy!

Depending on how much you like cities I'd recommend 2-4 days in Tokyo. It's f***ing massive for a start so getting about to see what you'll want to takes quite a bit of time out of your day even if the transport works seamlessly. Main neighbourhoods to knock about are Asakusa/Ueno which is North East of what could loosely be described as the centre and Shinjuku/Shibuya/Harajuku which is west of centre.

For the rest of your trip if you're planning to go to a few places on Honshū I'd recommend flying in one airport (Tokyo/Kansai) and out of the other so you're not going back on yourself.

Offline Hughesy

• General Member
« Reply #4871 on: Wednesday 19 October 2016, 12:10:03 PM »
Cheers for that - really helpful.  Going to start doing some planning soon and I'll look into the above.

Offline Nobody

• General Member
  • That chick was like the Pele of anal
« Reply #4872 on: Friday 21 October 2016, 09:06:01 AM »
Recommendations for places to eat/drink, things to do on an evening in Berlin?

Burgermeister is lush but not a nighttime place as is Transit (Asian tapas).

If you like traditional German places for drinking I'd recommend Brauerei Lemke and Brauhaus Georgbraeu, both nearish Alexanderplatz. Hofbrauhaus is round that way too although it's just a copy of the one in Munich.
Transit is lush like :thup:

Going to Prague in a few weeks, anyone got any recommendations? Which area to live, where to eat and what bars to visit?

Offline Ronaldo

• General Member
  • Is that you, Mustard?
« Reply #4873 on: Friday 28 October 2016, 01:29:23 PM »
Anyone who hasn't been to Vegas should go ASAP. One of the best holidays I've ever had, thought admittedly expensive as f*** (spent comfortably over £4K) and 5 nights really wasn't enough to do everything we wanted to. Got wasted continually, loads of hot sun, lost money, won money, got engaged. Going back in April for a week and then again in October to get married at Caesars. Honestly, it's a f***ing magical place.

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #4874 on: Friday 28 October 2016, 01:37:58 PM »
I really want to go. Might go after Christmas depending on analysis of my savings!

Congratulations on the engagement :thup: