Author Topic: Hollibobs  (Read 377209 times)

Online B-more Mag

• General Member
  • Amartya Sen, motherfucker
Re: Re: Holidays
« Reply #1125 on: Wednesday 9 January 2013, 01:13:26 PM »
Sitting in the airport now, about to fly to Colorado for some beer and snow.

Whereabout? Skiing?

Offline Ian W

• General Member
Re: Holidays
« Reply #1126 on: Wednesday 9 January 2013, 02:18:42 PM »
I loved Montreal, would really like to see the Canadian countryside too.

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #1127 on: Wednesday 9 January 2013, 02:20:43 PM »
Definitely has a lot going for it the Smoke. You just need to know a little bit about where to go. I can imagine wandering around Leicester Square and all that s*** can be soul destroying if you don't know about all the other stuff.

There isn't a worse place in London than Leicester Square :lol:

Online cubaricho

• General Member
« Reply #1128 on: Thursday 10 January 2013, 02:07:17 AM »

My absolute favorite city.
▒▓██ N █ U █ F █ C ██▓▒

icemanblue

« Reply #1129 on: Thursday 10 January 2013, 10:18:51 AM »
Santorini this summer, I reckon. Love the place. Will have to travel to Manchester for the flights, like, Newcastle have stopped going there.

Offline zolton

• General Member
  • Live from the Hawthorns
« Reply #1130 on: Thursday 10 January 2013, 02:16:38 PM »
Went on a P & O cruise to the Caribbean last year, best holiday ever, would go again in a shot.
Stars in blue and white stripes

Offline Ian W

• General Member
« Reply #1131 on: Thursday 10 January 2013, 05:09:55 PM »

My absolute favorite city.

I went when it was absolutely freezing, beginning of March IIRC. A lot of stuff was closed but the snow and scenery were class. I'd like to go back when it's a bit warmer and explore properly.

Despite knowing a tiny bit of French I didn't understand a thing anyone said.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #1132 on: Wednesday 16 January 2013, 10:12:58 AM »
Anyone spent any time in Lisbon and it's surrounding areas, care to divulge whether it's worth going for a city/beach break?

Offline macphisto

• General Member
« Reply #1133 on: Wednesday 16 January 2013, 03:14:31 PM »
Anyone spent any time in Lisbon and it's surrounding areas, care to divulge whether it's worth going for a city/beach break?

I'd also be interested in hearing about Lisbon or Porto too. I'm thinking about going to Portugal for one week at the end of April as I've seen some really cheap holidays to the Algarve on Teletext holidays for around £100 (flights and accommodation self-catering). I'm not normally some one who goes for package holidays but I'm thinking that it might not be too bad as the resorts should not be too busy at that time of year and I'm also planning on taking the train to Lisbon for 2 to 3 days as it is only a 3 hour journey from the Algarve (Porto is around 5 hours). This is one of the places on offer which has good reviews on Tripadvisor: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1190872-d264161-Reviews-Agua_Marinha-Olhos_de_Agua_Albufeira_Algarve.html

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #1134 on: Wednesday 16 January 2013, 04:25:22 PM »

I'd also be interested in hearing about Lisbon or Porto too. I'm thinking about going to Portugal for one week at the end of April as I've seen some really cheap holidays to the Algarve on Teletext holidays for around £100 (flights and accommodation self-catering). I'm not normally some one who goes for package holidays but I'm thinking that it might not be too bad as the resorts should not be too busy at that time of year and I'm also planning on taking the train to Lisbon for 2 to 3 days as it is only a 3 hour journey from the Algarve (Porto is around 5 hours). This is one of the places on offer which has good reviews on Tripadvisor: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1190872-d264161-Reviews-Agua_Marinha-Olhos_de_Agua_Albufeira_Algarve.html

We were thinking of doing the reverse but I think we're just going to find some beaches nr Lisbon now hence the question. Portugal seems relatively cheap if nowt else.

Offline ross magoo

• General Member
« Reply #1135 on: Wednesday 16 January 2013, 06:48:27 PM »
Nothing booked yet, although i'm only a week back from Tanzania after summiting Kilimanjaro on the 6th of January.  I'm thinking about visiting friends and relatives in Bangkok this summer with maybe a couple of nights in Hong Kong as part of the trip but we'll see.
I'm bored of Hampden anyway

Offline KDT

• General Member
« Reply #1136 on: Wednesday 16 January 2013, 06:56:30 PM »
Booked flights to Geneva for a 5 day skiing trip to Morzine, been a few years since I've skied but 6 of us going so should be a good laugh.

Offline MW

• General Member
« Reply #1137 on: Monday 21 January 2013, 12:23:29 AM »
Anyone been to Jakarta? Thinking of going out with some mates to visit a mate who works there
AS9

Offline macphisto

• General Member
« Reply #1138 on: Monday 21 January 2013, 03:08:17 AM »
Anyone been to Jakarta? Thinking of going out with some mates to visit a mate who works there

I've been there a few times now for work and I don't rate it. Traffic is horrendous and I just can't get a sense of where anything is. I could imagine it being all right if you met with someone who lived there as they might know some decent places but as a tourist/visitor on their own I'd give it a miss.

Offline MW

• General Member
« Reply #1139 on: Monday 21 January 2013, 08:08:37 AM »
Cheers, he basically said the same, if we were doing 10 days he says half the time we should go somewhere else
AS9

Offline neesy111

• General Member
  • Madrid, ES
« Reply #1140 on: Monday 21 January 2013, 10:43:24 AM »

s*** hole.  Worst city I've been to been quite a distance.  Pollution/traffic is off the scale, dirty and wasn't terribly much to do.  One of the posters on here told me it was like that before I went, get to the Islands if off to Indonesia.

Offline Gallowgate Toon

• General Member
  • London
« Reply #1141 on: Tuesday 12 February 2013, 07:52:31 PM »
I'm having a short break this summer, probably no more than 4 or 5 days and am looking to visit one of the bigger cities in Germany. It's a country I know embarrassingly little about though and have rarely been to, anyone got any recommendations on where to go?

I'm looking for a city with a lot to do and see, but that has a bit of atmosphere to it and some decent nightlife, I've heard Hamburg is great but wanted to know if there were any better options.

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #1142 on: Tuesday 12 February 2013, 07:53:19 PM »
I'm going to Dubrovnik. Apparently.

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #1143 on: Thursday 21 February 2013, 09:14:10 PM »
booked three weeks off work in september and driving to croatia with the mrs. will go through hungry on the way.

any recs or little gems on croatia as I have never been? planning to go game fishing,scuba diving, kayaking and white water rafting and will visit Dubrovnik and Split for sure.

Plitvice national park is pretty impressive.

Off to Sri Lanka on Tuesday for 2.5 weeks, can't wait.

:thup:

It's paradise. Where you going exactly? (got back last week)

Just got back this afternoon, it was mint.

Went to Colombo (s***), Sigiriya as a base for the cultural triangle (went to Dambulla, Polonarruwa, Minneriya Nat Park and climbed the rock), Kandy, 4 days in the hill country (Nuwara Eliya and Ella), Tissa (as a base for Yala) and Unawatuna / Galle. Great country, absolutely stunning, brilliant food and unbelievably friendly people. I'd mainly gone for the scenery so the hill country was my highlight, had a great evening taking in some SLPL T20 in Kandy too.

Only slight downside for me was the lack of stuff to do in the evening - I went with my gf and we weren't looking for nights out but it's always good to find places other than your hotel to chill for a few beers through the evening and into the night to meet a few more holidayers and locals. Almost everywhere shut down by 9 apart from in the big cities!

Where did you go?

Also agree with Disco on wanting to hear a write up of Burma, would love to go myself.

Sorry mate, just saw this. The atmosphere at the cricket is f***ing immense, isn't it?

Did you take any pics while you were out there? Would love to see them :thup: I f***ing miss Sri Lanka so much. I enquired into house prices while I was down there. Not sure whether I'm kidding myself, but I intend to move there man.

That sounds lovely! I take it you didn't stay in one place too long if you covered all those places? I didn't keep a diary, but I may as well record my journey in the annals of N-O.

I went to Colombo but left pretty quickly. Very urban, dirty and hectic on first blush. Headed straight for Hikkiduwa, which was just incredible. The train journey there was to be the only straight-forward journey I would have, little did I know. The insistence on people chucking trash out the window was a little disappointing, I guess - but maybe that's just the Westerner in me prejudging the values/norms of a country from my train window (literally, at this point). Stayed in Hikka for a few days - which was just lush. Visited the tsunami museum, herb gardens, a turtle sanctuary [I'm a vegetarian do-gooder :blush:] and rented a scooter which I rode down to Galle for a day-trip.

The trip was cracking. I almost died several times, and the girl friend I was with was so panicked the whole time (but in a funny way... well, a funny way for me). It was a really, really bad idea in retrospect. I can barely ride a bicycle. Once I got the hang of it, it was alright though - maybe the highlight of my trip actually. No paperwork, just give them £4 and you have a scooter for a day :laugh: f***ing class. The drivers, as you would expect, are mental.

Then subsequent trips through the centre of the country were torturous. It takes about three times as long to travel half the distance where there are no trains, or where the country is hilly. The amount of tuk-tuk rides, bus journeys up 45 degree hills, etc.. it was incredible, but all added to the fun and flavour of it. I climbed Sri Pada (Adam's Peak) as a friend of mine who passed away did. Bit of a silly pilgrimage for me. As was the whole trip in a way.

Bought some decent weed, went to the rock caves in Dambulla, up Sigiriya Rock and visited the grandparents of the aforementioned friends and help them settle into a house. Brushed up a little bit on my Tamil in Trincomalee, saw a leopard in the wild, explored the hill country and drank lots!

Food was so cheap. People were so friendly, the pace of life was so calm (but not in an idol way). My girl friend is a white girl who had (near enough) peroxide blonde hair, so when I went around with her.. in some places we were just walking dollar signs. When I was by myself, people thought I was Sri Lankan - which was a fantastic boon for me. I decided to do the shopping for both me and my friend after a while, because when I went to shops I got quoted local prices because they thought I was a Srilly :)

Oh, also went to R. Premadasa International Stadium to watch Sri Lanka v India on the fourth day of a ODI. FAN-f***ing-TASTIC. What a way to spend the day. Beer was great/cheap and we got to sit with the players families for a pittance.

Edit: Oh, and Perahara was on. I thought it was alright, but not a big fan of elephants in captivity. The acrobats, fire-dancers were cool though. Kandy was an incredible city though. Really suave.

Sri Lanka gets another thumbs up from me, got back yesterday. Amazing country, loads to see, beautiful and varied food and friendly locals. Not much more you can ask for really. Recommend it to anyone who ain't been.

Sophie S

« Reply #1144 on: Thursday 21 February 2013, 10:28:46 PM »
I'm having a short break this summer, probably no more than 4 or 5 days and am looking to visit one of the bigger cities in Germany. It's a country I know embarrassingly little about though and have rarely been to, anyone got any recommendations on where to go?

I'm looking for a city with a lot to do and see, but that has a bit of atmosphere to it and some decent nightlife, I've heard Hamburg is great but wanted to know if there were any better options.

I'd always say Berlin. Best city in Germany, a lot of culture, history and arts for during the day and plenty of clubs and bars for the night. It's also really nice in the summer as it's very green with plenty of parks to have a spontaneous beer & bbq when you're in need of relaxing.

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #1145 on: Thursday 21 February 2013, 11:27:24 PM »
booked three weeks off work in september and driving to croatia with the mrs. will go through hungry on the way.

any recs or little gems on croatia as I have never been? planning to go game fishing,scuba diving, kayaking and white water rafting and will visit Dubrovnik and Split for sure.

Plitvice national park is pretty impressive.

Off to Sri Lanka on Tuesday for 2.5 weeks, can't wait.

:thup:

It's paradise. Where you going exactly? (got back last week)

Just got back this afternoon, it was mint.

Went to Colombo (s***), Sigiriya as a base for the cultural triangle (went to Dambulla, Polonarruwa, Minneriya Nat Park and climbed the rock), Kandy, 4 days in the hill country (Nuwara Eliya and Ella), Tissa (as a base for Yala) and Unawatuna / Galle. Great country, absolutely stunning, brilliant food and unbelievably friendly people. I'd mainly gone for the scenery so the hill country was my highlight, had a great evening taking in some SLPL T20 in Kandy too.

Only slight downside for me was the lack of stuff to do in the evening - I went with my gf and we weren't looking for nights out but it's always good to find places other than your hotel to chill for a few beers through the evening and into the night to meet a few more holidayers and locals. Almost everywhere shut down by 9 apart from in the big cities!

Where did you go?

Also agree with Disco on wanting to hear a write up of Burma, would love to go myself.

Sorry mate, just saw this. The atmosphere at the cricket is f***ing immense, isn't it?

Did you take any pics while you were out there? Would love to see them :thup: I f***ing miss Sri Lanka so much. I enquired into house prices while I was down there. Not sure whether I'm kidding myself, but I intend to move there man.

That sounds lovely! I take it you didn't stay in one place too long if you covered all those places? I didn't keep a diary, but I may as well record my journey in the annals of N-O.

I went to Colombo but left pretty quickly. Very urban, dirty and hectic on first blush. Headed straight for Hikkiduwa, which was just incredible. The train journey there was to be the only straight-forward journey I would have, little did I know. The insistence on people chucking trash out the window was a little disappointing, I guess - but maybe that's just the Westerner in me prejudging the values/norms of a country from my train window (literally, at this point). Stayed in Hikka for a few days - which was just lush. Visited the tsunami museum, herb gardens, a turtle sanctuary [I'm a vegetarian do-gooder :blush:] and rented a scooter which I rode down to Galle for a day-trip.

The trip was cracking. I almost died several times, and the girl friend I was with was so panicked the whole time (but in a funny way... well, a funny way for me). It was a really, really bad idea in retrospect. I can barely ride a bicycle. Once I got the hang of it, it was alright though - maybe the highlight of my trip actually. No paperwork, just give them £4 and you have a scooter for a day :laugh: f***ing class. The drivers, as you would expect, are mental.

Then subsequent trips through the centre of the country were torturous. It takes about three times as long to travel half the distance where there are no trains, or where the country is hilly. The amount of tuk-tuk rides, bus journeys up 45 degree hills, etc.. it was incredible, but all added to the fun and flavour of it. I climbed Sri Pada (Adam's Peak) as a friend of mine who passed away did. Bit of a silly pilgrimage for me. As was the whole trip in a way.

Bought some decent weed, went to the rock caves in Dambulla, up Sigiriya Rock and visited the grandparents of the aforementioned friends and help them settle into a house. Brushed up a little bit on my Tamil in Trincomalee, saw a leopard in the wild, explored the hill country and drank lots!

Food was so cheap. People were so friendly, the pace of life was so calm (but not in an idol way). My girl friend is a white girl who had (near enough) peroxide blonde hair, so when I went around with her.. in some places we were just walking dollar signs. When I was by myself, people thought I was Sri Lankan - which was a fantastic boon for me. I decided to do the shopping for both me and my friend after a while, because when I went to shops I got quoted local prices because they thought I was a Srilly :)

Oh, also went to R. Premadasa International Stadium to watch Sri Lanka v India on the fourth day of a ODI. FAN-f***ing-TASTIC. What a way to spend the day. Beer was great/cheap and we got to sit with the players families for a pittance.

Edit: Oh, and Perahara was on. I thought it was alright, but not a big fan of elephants in captivity. The acrobats, fire-dancers were cool though. Kandy was an incredible city though. Really suave.

Sri Lanka gets another thumbs up from me, got back yesterday. Amazing country, loads to see, beautiful and varied food and friendly locals. Not much more you can ask for really. Recommend it to anyone who ain't been.

Aw yes, mate. Absolutely fantastic. Where did you go? What did you do? (If you can be arsed).

Offline Disco

• General Member
  • Newcastle
« Reply #1146 on: Thursday 21 February 2013, 11:37:32 PM »
Aw yes, mate. Absolutely fantastic. Where did you go? What did you do? (If you can be arsed).

Went straight to Dambulla from the airport and stopped just outside there, saw there and went to Sigiriyia too for a sweaty trip, then on to Kandy which I liked despite it being a fairly regular town then train back to Colombo and down to Mirissa which is gorgeous although was a bit quiet for that type of town for me, couple of days there and a few more in Unawatuna where we did f*** all aside from eat, drink and have a gander round Galle before a night in Colombo before heading home. Went for the lunch time buffet in Colombo at the Galle Face Hotel before flying home, £7.50pp felt like daylight robbery despite it being expensive compared to the normal food we were getting in.

Food was amazing, so much nice (and cheap) shellfish/tuna and the mojitos were consistently excellent when I got sick of Lion/3 Coins. In Unawatuna our accomm was opposite a liquor shop/window so delved into the local arrack/rum a fair bit there, the former not so much of a fan and the latter was ludicrously sweet, nice though.

Was only there 11 nights unfortunately so had to miss a few things but it's a good excuse to go back, would definitely like to go to the Hill country and on to the East Coast next time, heard a lot of good things.

Scenery wise I found it very like Thailand which I wasn't really expecting, green and lush but with sweeping coats, pretty much perfect really. Public transport is so cheap n all, £1 for the train, even got the local bus a few times to vary it up, think Una to Galle was 5p.

Offline macphisto

• General Member
« Reply #1147 on: Friday 22 February 2013, 01:30:48 PM »
Just booked up for Peru (Machu Picchu) in September with a few days in New York on the way back. Can't wait, should be a great trip!

Offline Beren

• Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Lung is the GOAT
« Reply #1148 on: Saturday 23 February 2013, 03:24:06 PM »

Went straight to Dambulla from the airport and stopped just outside there, saw there and went to Sigiriyia too for a sweaty trip, then on to Kandy which I liked despite it being a fairly regular town then train back to Colombo and down to Mirissa which is gorgeous although was a bit quiet for that type of town for me, couple of days there and a few more in Unawatuna where we did f*** all aside from eat, drink and have a gander round Galle before a night in Colombo before heading home. Went for the lunch time buffet in Colombo at the Galle Face Hotel before flying home, £7.50pp felt like daylight robbery despite it being expensive compared to the normal food we were getting in.

Food was amazing, so much nice (and cheap) shellfish/tuna and the mojitos were consistently excellent when I got sick of Lion/3 Coins. In Unawatuna our accomm was opposite a liquor shop/window so delved into the local arrack/rum a fair bit there, the former not so much of a fan and the latter was ludicrously sweet, nice though.

Was only there 11 nights unfortunately so had to miss a few things but it's a good excuse to go back, would definitely like to go to the Hill country and on to the East Coast next time, heard a lot of good things.

Scenery wise I found it very like Thailand which I wasn't really expecting, green and lush but with sweeping coats, pretty much perfect really. Public transport is so cheap n all, £1 for the train, even got the local bus a few times to vary it up, think Una to Galle was 5p.

The quality of food and price of, well, everything is unreal. Genuinely started to wonder what the cost of a house is down in Hikka ($30,000 as it turns out) :) Transport is dirt cheap as you say. So cheap you feel guilty.

Glad you enjoyed it. Plan to head back at some point, feel very at home there.

It is similar to Thailand in some respects now you mention it in terms of landscape, but saw a lot more wildlife in Sri Lanka once I got down to ground level/started trekking about.

The hill country is remarkably like a Sri Lankan community took over the Lake District. Can't believe it's in the middle of such a warm climate.

Open_C

« Reply #1149 on: Sunday 24 February 2013, 02:07:34 PM »
In addition to a week in Kingussie in the Cairngorms in August, my lass has just booked three nights for us and the bairn in my favourite place in the entire world (Torridon, in the North West highlands) at the end of May :smitten: I didn't even ask her to.  She must want something :shifty:

:smitten: